ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Pit Bull Kills man trying to resuscitate his owner (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291186)

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-09-2015 06:26 PM

Pit Bull Kills man trying to resuscitate his owner

West Virginia police say a 62-year-old man has died after being mauled to death by a pit bull that attacked him as he tried to revive the dog’s unconscious owner following a heart attack.

Wheeling police said the pit bull attacked Roy Higgenbotham Jr. in a home shortly before 9 p.m. Sunday.

Officers also found the dog’s owner, David Wallace, 63, dead in the house.

Lt. Phil Redford said police believe Wallace suffered a heart attack. Higgenbotham was attacked as he tried to resuscitate Wallace.

Autopsies will determine an official cause of death.

The dog, a 3-year-old female, was removed from the residence by Ohio County Animal Control and placed in quarantine.

Neighbors told WTRF-TV it appears the dog became protective and attacked when she saw Higgenbotham try and administer first aid to his stricken friend.

“One of them had, had some heart problems and it seems like she was protecting him from the person trying to resuscitate him,” Beth Patsch told the station. "She was always wonderful, they had had her and her mother and her mother had just passed away in the fall, I believe, and this was the puppy. They've had her since she was tiny, tiny and never a problem."

Patsch, who lives across the street, said a woman was in the house at the time. She said she saw the woman climb out a second-floor window onto a porch roof to avoid being attacked by the dog.

Fox affiliate WTOV reported that the pit bull was not registered with the city, despite an ordinance that requires all pit bulls in the city be registered.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

So what say you ? Was the dog justified ? Should the Dog be put down ?

TimBone 03-09-2015 06:28 PM

I'm sure this is going to spark another pit bull debate, but I just don't think Pit Bulls are a safe breed, regardless of their upbringing.

Red Dawg 03-09-2015 06:31 PM

All pits should be destroyed. How many have killed unprovoked.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-09-2015 06:32 PM

My theory has always been that if you're at a friends house and they have that type of pet that you're unsure of just go ahead and jerk the dog off. It would have saved this guys life no doubt.

But yeah, actually a Pitbull , just shoot them.

chiefzilla1501 03-09-2015 06:32 PM

I knew his music was terrible, but I didn't realize it had this kind of an effect on people

TLO 03-09-2015 06:35 PM

This thread will be 800 pages long before it's all over.

TLO 03-09-2015 06:36 PM

Also. I'm going to need to hear MTG's opinion before sharing my own.

BigMeatballDave 03-09-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11371771)

:facepalm:

Like a ****ing dog knows what CPR is.

All the dog sees is someone hurting his human.

Most large breed dogs would attack. Dumbass.

Lonewolf Ed 03-09-2015 06:36 PM

In the dog's defense, it would have looked like the man was attacking the owner. But since the dog killed a person, it has to be put down. I've never owned a pit bull, but I had a Rottweiler. She loved it when company came over. But if I had a heart attack and one of my friends tried CPR on me, she probably would have barked at the guy, at the very least. She'd have been freaked out by me flopping to the floor, I am sure. Once when I was barefoot and using the sweeper, I tried to push it into the family room and stubbed my toe badly. I let out a holler and fell on the floor. She came over and laid her head on my chest and looked so sad!

Rausch 03-09-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11371765)
I'm sure this is going to spark another pit bull debate, but I just don't think Pit Bulls are a safe breed, regardless of their upbringing.

The argument changes when the breed has the ability to kill you.

Or, I suppose, a stronger argument for concealed carry...

In58men 03-09-2015 06:38 PM

Take it to DC

kccrow 03-09-2015 06:39 PM

Jesus ****ing Christ... stupidity will run rampant with this one, especially for those stupid ****s that never owned a pit bull.

I'd tell ya why that pit bull killed, but it wouldn't sink in.

KCUnited 03-09-2015 06:40 PM

This is why I never stop to help anyone, ever.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-09-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 11371784)
In the dog's defense, it would have looked like the man was attacking the owner. But since the dog killed a person, it has to be put down. I've never owned a pit bull, but I had a Rottweiler. She loved it when company came over. But if I had a heart attack and one of my friends tried CPR on me, she probably would have barked at the guy, at the very least. She'd have been freaked out by me flopping to the floor, I am sure. Once when I was barefoot and using the sweeper, I tried to push it into the family room and stubbed my toe badly. I let out a holler and fell on the floor. She came over and laid her head on my chest and looked so sad!

I think Rottys are a different breed mentally. I used to raise them to sell, show dog bloodlines I would sell to soldiers a Bragg. They can reason things out. Pitts go into attack mode due to the size of their microscopic brain size I think.

Rausch 03-09-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11371790)
Jesus ****ing Christ... stupidity will run rampant with this one, especially for those stupid ****s that never owned a pit bull.

I could tell you why two people died but that probably wouldn't sink in...

kccrow 03-09-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11371793)
I could tell you why two people died but that probably wouldn't sink in...

Well, consider yourself an advanced academic. Like I said, there are those stupid ****s that don't know shit about pit bulls that will blame the dog and blame the breed, yet they don't know a single damned thing about the dog nor the breed.

My blood's already boiling on comments in this thread, not yours, but others. I'm respectfully bowing out having said all I wish to say about it.

xztop123 03-09-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11371771)

What about Hippos and crocs, they kill thousands of people a year.

Brock 03-09-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11371783)
:facepalm:

Like a ****ing dog knows what CPR is.

All the dog sees is someone hurting his human.

Most large breed dogs would attack. Dumbass.

Some dogs probably would attack, but they aren't equipped with the biting force of a so called pt bull.

BigMeatballDave 03-09-2015 06:45 PM

I've known several people with Pitbulls over the past 25+years and not one of them attacked or even bit anyone. These are people in Missouri and Ohio.

I'm not an animal person. I love dogs. Other people's dogs.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-09-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11371791)
This is why I never stop to help anyone, ever.

Boom.

TimBone 03-09-2015 06:49 PM

I just know that I spent my youth running from and being terrorized by Pit Bulls out in the country. I've also seen instances where well handled pit bulls have viciously attacked and the owner is sitting htere with a confused look on their face saying, "I've NEVER seen him act like that." I wouldn't bee comfortable with my son around one. that's just my opinion molded from my experiences. Others may have a different experience (and therefore a different opnion) with the breed.

BigMeatballDave 03-09-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11371803)
Some dogs probably would attack, but they aren't equipped with the biting force of a so called pt bull.

This is true. That's why PBs are trained to fight. They're built for it.

A German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman could kill just the same.

KCUnited 03-09-2015 06:52 PM

Apparently the guy was wearing a yellow jacket.

Demonpenz 03-09-2015 06:52 PM

**** pit bulls

KCUnited 03-09-2015 06:53 PM

You gotta wasp your ass around pits.

Rausch 03-09-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11371798)
Well, consider yourself an advanced academic. Like I said, there are those stupid ****s that don't know shit about pit bulls that will blame the dog and blame the breed, yet they don't know a single damned thing about the dog nor the breed.

My blood's already boiling on comments in this thread, not yours, but others. I'm respectfully bowing out having said all I wish to say about it.

I know the man didn't have the permit he was required to have. Often the reasons they require it is because of situations just like this. If EMS/Police have to show up and help they want to know if they have to secure a large dog.

Here they will shoot that animal (any large breed) if it shows aggression while they're trying to save your life. My dad's dog's name and the fact he has one is already logged with local/county PD for just this situation.

Reason two pitts get the publicity is due to their bite power. They can kill a person very quickly. Any dog could unexpectedly bite. Any animal can act out of character. The problem is the uncommon power of the pitts bite when they act out...

Iowanian 03-09-2015 06:54 PM

Could.. But don't.

Pit bull. The dog of choice for neck-tattoo- Americans for 20 years.

The Franchise 03-09-2015 06:56 PM

My friend fosters pit bulls and they're all awesome, loveable dogs. All breeds have bad apples.

Pitt Gorilla 03-09-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Your blood is boiling over comments on a football board? Really?

Brock 03-09-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Imagine that, people are blaming the dog for killing a guy.

Demonpenz 03-09-2015 07:00 PM

Pit Bulls were ment to kill people. How people defend the dogs is beyond me. I guess it's the same people who sell out back to back linkin park shows,=,

aturnis 03-09-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11371790)

Anyone who thinks tigers are dangerous has obviously never owned a tiger.

<iframe width="650" height="523" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UAPf_hRoRtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reerun_KC 03-09-2015 07:00 PM

We live in the country. Pit bulls have a short life expectancy if the get near my yard.

Demonpenz 03-09-2015 07:02 PM

Broken glass and hot dog meat....no more Pit Bull

Rausch 03-09-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11371831)
My friend fosters pit bulls and they're all awesome, loveable dogs. All breeds have bad apples.

You do understand that white trash/hood rats have bred these animals specifically for back yard fighting for decades, right?

Local shelters are full of them. Mostly puppies. Problem is you don't know the history of this shelter dog. You're trying to do a good thing and provide a quality home and don't know this a 3rd generation inbred dog mated with the most aggressive animals in the projects.

White trash around here has done this for years. Have a litter, find the most aggressive pup or two of the pack, drop the rest off at the pound or in the river. They'll then breed that with another aggressive/large pitt without checking to see if they're related or anything other than back yard tricks. Then another litter gets dumped in the Wal-Mart parking lot or sold for $5 a pup...

KCUnited 03-09-2015 07:03 PM

Dog must be white if it's still living.

LoneWolf 03-09-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 11371846)
Broken glass and hot dog meat....no more Pit Bull

I'm not a fan of Pit Bulls, but you're a ****ing moron.

Demonpenz 03-09-2015 07:09 PM

I think my 2.6 gpa from Mo West speak volumes

RealSNR 03-09-2015 07:13 PM

Would rather own a pitbull than an ugly ass rat that people call "small dog breeds"

Reerun_KC 03-09-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11371871)
Would rather own a pitbull than an ugly ass rat that people call "small dog breeds"

I stick to Aussie Sheppard's and Boarder Collies.

KC native 03-09-2015 07:14 PM

Oh, look. It's this thread again.

Iowanian 03-09-2015 07:16 PM

I know. It's like one of these loving family dogs kill someone every few weeks.

stonedstooge 03-09-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 11371857)
I think my 2.6 gpa from Mo West speak volumes

ROFLROFLROFL

Jimmya 03-09-2015 08:07 PM

Pitbulls get full of lead if they get near my yard. You can't own them in lots of cities unless you have all kinds of permits and big liability insurance.

HonestChieffan 03-09-2015 08:16 PM

I love these threads.

Eureka 03-09-2015 08:31 PM

Unfortunately the dog has to be put down. Not all pit bulls are the same but my honest experience with them is they are what they are. They have certain charistics that ring true to the breed.

I've owned a few Dobermans and they all shared certain traits yet each had their own personalities.

Pitbulls are not a bad breed it's just that there are to many of them and not enough "correct" Pitbull owners. I'm not sure if this case is a good example though.

Pepe Silvia 03-09-2015 08:34 PM

I love them but I wouldn't own one.

TribalElder 03-09-2015 08:35 PM

Mine is a mean little bastard

I could totally see that happening.

Marcellus 03-09-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 11371784)

My old Rott (RIP) would flip out anytime anyone was wrestling or acting like they were fighting around him.

Even if I acted like I was punching one of my friends he would try to grab a hold of my arm to stop me.

He wouldn't try to hurt you but he would bark like hell and try to grab your arm and stop you from hurting whoever he thought was getting hurt.

He was anti violence I guess you could say.

Just Passin' By 03-09-2015 08:54 PM

The dog did its job of protecting its owner from a perceived attack. As a result, two humans are dead, and the dog will be killed.

Sad story all around.

Gonzo 03-09-2015 09:59 PM

Here we ****ing go...
Obligatory
"Any big dog would do that!"
Followed by obligatory
"Then why is it we only hear about Pit Bulls doing it and not German Shepherds or Great Danes?"

My solution? Make people get a special license to own the breed like you would a handgun and call it a day.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-09-2015 10:34 PM

Worthless ****ing breed.

The Franchise 03-09-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11372321)
Worthless ****ing breed.

Worthless ****ing human.

SPchief 03-09-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 11372257)
Here we ****ing go...
Obligatory
"Any big dog would do that!"
Followed by obligatory
"Then why is it we only hear about Pit Bulls doing it and not German Shepherds or Great Danes?"

My solution? Make people get a special license to own the breed like you would a handgun and call it a day.

I'm an owner of a full blood pit with papers and a Rot mix and I would be in favor for it. But it wouldn't do anything to change the breed, change the dipshit owners who are unfit, or the perception of the breed. Just like with the gun argument, if someone is gonna want one to fight, have a special licence to own one isn't gonna change anything.

Personal note, my pit is the sweetest dog in the world. She wouldn't hurt a fly unless that fly was trying to attack me. Having said that I'm fully aware of what she's capable of and if I sense that there may be a danger issue either it being she's getting to aggressive playing with my neighbor's dogs or some kids happen to be walking by that she is barking at that's not her normal "play" with me bark, I'll remove her from the situation and bring her inside.

SPchief 03-09-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11372321)
Worthless ****ing breed.

Just off yourself

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-09-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 11372337)
Just off yourself

White trash

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-09-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11372330)
Worthless ****ing human.

Look, a meth addict is a pit bull owner. Color me surprised.

RealSNR 03-09-2015 10:43 PM

I know about half of these pit bull comments are troll attempts. The problem is knowing which ones are which.

TribalElder 03-09-2015 10:44 PM

Plot twist

The "friend" was killing the guy and the dog intervened but it was too late

Only Caesar Milan can solve this case now

RealSNR 03-09-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11372354)
Plot twist

The "friend" was killing the guy and the dog intervened but it was too late

Only Caesar Milan can solve this case now

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rx_lTgUSyB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SDChiefs 03-09-2015 10:54 PM

irony. i just got off the phone with a buddy and the topic of pitt bulls being pieces of shit came up.a good point. why would so many people come to the defense constantly of pitt bulls if they were good dogs? you never hear "german sheppards are good dogs theyre just misunderstood..." thats because german sheppards are well known to be great dogs.

SPchief 03-09-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 11372381)
irony. i just got off the phone with a buddy and the topic of pitt bulls being pieces of shit came up.a good point. why would so many people come to the defense constantly of pitt bulls if they were good dogs? you never hear "german sheppards are good dogs theyre just misunderstood..." thats because german sheppards are well known to be great dogs.

Funny, I always hear how great pit bulls are and how shitty German Sheppards are.

Ming the Merciless 03-09-2015 11:20 PM

By and large the kind of people who own them are low class , low ego morons trying to 'prove' that their small-brained stupid ass wild animal is the exception and gentle when the truth is there are so many better breeds of dogs for ANY purpose out there.

I agree it isn't always the pitt's fault but theres no denying that this breed attracts losers, morons and idiots as fast as a pile of rotting shit attracts maggots

RobBlake 03-09-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 11371839)
Pit Bulls were ment to kill people. How people defend the dogs is beyond me. I guess it's the same people who sell out back to back linkin park shows,=,

whats wrong with LP lol too mainstream?

RobBlake 03-09-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 11372387)
Funny, I always hear how great pit bulls are and how shitty German Sheppards are.

i wonder why Policemen don't choose pits over german shepards?

RobBlake 03-09-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11372330)
Worthless ****ing human.

lol at people defensive over a dog known for killer instincts. Glad to know people are getting more reasonable as years go on.

Ming the Merciless 03-09-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11372430)
i wonder why Policemen don't choose pits over german shepards?

Because they are stupid, have a lot of health problems, a short life span, and basically can snap and are very unpredictable after about age 4?

Not to mention they probably don't speak german as well as a german sheppard

Rausch 03-09-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11372422)
By and large the kind of people who own them are low class , low ego morons trying to 'prove' that their small-brained stupid ass wild animal is the exception and gentle when the truth is there are so many better breeds of dogs for ANY purpose out there.

I agree it isn't always the pitt's fault but theres no denying that this breed attracts losers, morons and idiots as fast as a pile of rotting shit attracts maggots

My argument would be ghetto losers have degraded the breed. Inbreeding, selective breeding for aggressive traits, size, etc.

And these idiots don't properly care for their animals so they often end up in shelters where the adoptive owner doesn't know what he's getting...

RobBlake 03-09-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11372434)
Because they are stupid, have a lot of health problems, a short life span, and basically can snap and are very unpredictable after about age 4?

Not to mention they probably don't speak german

haha nice last sentence bud..

what you said pretty much alludes to the point i was tryin' to make...

Ming the Merciless 03-09-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11372436)
My argument would be ghetto losers have degraded the breed. Inbreeding, selective breeding for aggressive traits, size, etc.

And these idiots don't properly care for their animals so they often end up in shelters where the adoptive owner doesn't know what he's getting...

I would agree...

Its pretty sad....its always sad to see any dog who isnt walked, trained properly, cared for etc....

Ive seen some VERY sweet pits, especially younger ones.....

I hate people who get a dog and dont care for it, of any breed.

TribalElder 03-09-2015 11:31 PM

Most police dogs are now those Belgian breed dogs that look like German Shepards

Pit bulls have a mean streak that really sucks and make them unpredictable. Would much rather have a Doberman

RealSNR 03-09-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 11372387)

Do you work with the mentally disabled?

RealSNR 03-09-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11372442)
Most police dogs are now those Belgian breed dogs that look like German Shepards

Pit bulls have a mean streak that really sucks and make them unpredictable. Would much rather have a Doberman

That kinda sucks. I freakin love GSDs. So goddamn noble.

SPchief 03-09-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11372456)
Do you work with the mentally disabled?

It was a joke.

TribalElder 03-10-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11372461)
That kinda sucks. I freakin love GSDs. So goddamn noble.

belgian malinois
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgi..._Dog_(Malinois)

My numbers might be off, I'm sure lots of shepards are still in service but malinios are gaining traction

BucEyedPea 03-10-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 11371759)
The dog, a 3-year-old female, was removed from the residence by Ohio County Animal Control and placed in quarantine.

That bitch!

RealSNR 03-10-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 11372466)
It was a joke.

Sorry. Like I said, it's hard to tell what the serious/trolling/joking line is in pit bull threads.

SPchief 03-10-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11372470)
Sorry. Like I said, it's hard to tell what the serious/trolling/joking line is in pit bull threads.

No worries, my attempt to troll him as I thought he was serious.

BucEyedPea 03-10-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11372470)

What you didn't get a joke? By your former reasoning that makes you stupid right? :D

Lonewolf Ed 03-10-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11372118)
My old Rott (RIP) would flip out anytime anyone was wrestling or acting like they were fighting around him.

Even if I acted like I was punching one of my friends he would try to grab a hold of my arm to stop me.

He wouldn't try to hurt you but he would bark like hell and try to grab your arm and stop you from hurting whoever he thought was getting hurt.

He was anti violence I guess you could say.

My Freya did the same! If I acted like I was going to "get" someone by flexing my fingers and reaching out toward someone, she'd slap her paw on my wrist to block me. If I did that to a woman, she would often grab my wrist in her mouth, but wouldn't put any pressure on it. She would also chase other animals off the property but didn't try to get ahold of them. Once, two dogs came into view and she went after them and one bit her on the side of the muzzle. She didn't yelp but looked a bit sad. My foot in the dog's ass sent them both on their way.

I have no experience with pitt bulls, but I'd get another Rott happily.