ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs How Would You Stop the Broncos Outside Zone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291141)

Sorter 03-08-2015 04:18 PM

How Would You Stop the Broncos Outside Zone?

Kubiak back to Denver=even more wide zone. The Broncos already ran it quite a bit last year but it's safe to say we'll be seeing it quite a bit more.

So, let's just assume that for this scenario:
1st and 10
Ball at Broncos 20.
Broncos:
Personnel: Regular (2 backs, 1 TE, 2 WR)
Alignment: http://i.imgur.com/w5fr14i.png

Due to the balanced look, you can choose for the play (outside zone) to be called to either side. Please specify which.

Chiefs:
Personnel: Base 3-4

Now, let's see what the excellent minds of ChiefsPlanet can come up with. Choose your front, slants, blitzes, slants/scrapes and describe how/why you'll handle the Broncos outside zone. I will post some fronts the Chiefs use for reference.

Some .gifs below of the Ravens running outside zone:

http://i.imgur.com/e7Ko4IP.gif
http://i.imgur.com/lCv4yca.gif
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ima...uth12514-4.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dKDAk3W1rT.../Forsett44.gif
http://i.imgur.com/D1WxWpD.gif
http://i.imgur.com/MdCI1uM.gif

notorious 03-08-2015 04:19 PM

Oh, shit. I guess this means that the low shots to the knee are going to be back in style again.

Titty Meat 03-08-2015 04:20 PM

Hey Sorter I'd run a 46

Sorter 03-08-2015 04:22 PM

I'd also like to alert people to the last .gif. #74 does an excellent Eric Fisher impression.

Sorter 03-08-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billay (Post 11368621)
Hey Sorter I'd run a 46

Will there be funneled kill-zones?

-King- 03-08-2015 04:28 PM

Tackle the guy with the ball as fast as possible

ThaVirus 03-08-2015 04:29 PM

Line up in the 3-3-6 and blitz all 12 men /blackbob

ThaVirus 03-08-2015 04:30 PM

Re-sign Brandon Siler and have him shadow the RB /blackbob

Dave Lane 03-08-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11368626)
I'd also like to alert people to the last .gif. #74 does an excellent Eric Fisher impression.

Eric only wishes he was that good.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-08-2015 04:33 PM

Cj Anderson is a dog turd and team's won't respect Manning as much. Won't get as many cheap yards.

srvy 03-08-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11368626)

Well 97 never really got back into the play until the end with the pile on. But ya was a bad block like he didnt have the heart to get low and dirty.

Iconic 03-08-2015 04:35 PM

Quarters D, throw all my lineman in QB spies, and user the safety #MaddenTaughtMe

Dave Lane 03-08-2015 04:37 PM

I'll be honest and tell you I have no idea what you are talking about. My chiefs / sports in general interest is trashed upon the arrival of one Alex Smith and the departure of two second round picks.

That said, thank you for sharing this knowledge, although I have nothing useful to add I savor your information. Thanks from the peanut gallery.

Nightfyre 03-08-2015 05:13 PM

I start with the base 3-4, and if you get a run read:
DL: 0-tech + 5-tech (with DJ having the option to move one or the other to 4i)
ILB: Read and stack the A gap to the direction of the play (1st LB'er may end up taking on a guard if neither the NT or DE wins inside)
OLB: Contain
CB: Off-man
SS: Robber
FS: Single high

milkman 03-08-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 11368707)
I start with the base 3-4, and if you get a run read:
DL: 0-tech + 5-tech (with DJ having the option to move one or the other to 4i)
ILB: Read and stack the A gap to the direction of the play (1st LB'er may end up taking on a guard if neither the NT or DE wins inside)
OLB: Contain
CB: Off-man
SS: Robber
FS: Single high

I honestly don't think scheme matters nearly as much as discipline within whatever scheme you're running.

But this looks pretty good, though I might go with a stacked 43.

Snapplez 03-08-2015 05:57 PM

Given the Chiefs personnel I would say 3-3-5. Line up in a 3-4 formation, but have Abdullah in the box in place of Mauga.

Sully 03-08-2015 06:14 PM

I hate this to the core of my being, but I've been convinced...

Assuming a few things;
1) The counter to that play (other than counter) is a boot or drop back, and throw a drag or deep post.
2) Film shows the center flies across that quickly
3) Manning is the QB.

I have my DL allow the overtake and play from underneath. I hope this screws up the OL paths, as well as stopping counter and boot. This is the part I hate...

I play C 3, mostly. I'm giving up seams, but I need the extra safety to play low.

I assume that it will mostly be run to the FB or HBack side, and call my run strength to that, hoping to put my most disruptive ILB to that side, and have my box safety to the back side.

I pray that I have at least 2 players on the front 7 who are better than the guy across from them

Bowser 03-08-2015 06:25 PM

Play single high 8 in the box with your corners up in press. Have the short zone defenders attack the instant one of the guards pulls (or the HB cuts) and pray it's not a perfectly set up play action down the seams pass.

listopencil 03-08-2015 07:32 PM

As you are watching those gifs you should look at the QB. Pay attention to how much ground he is covering, and how much time he takes to get to his spot. If you're honest you will reconsider whether Manning can run Kubiak's Offense assuming you had major doubts until this point.

Sully 03-08-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11369118)
As you are watching those gifs you should look at the QB. Pay attention to how much ground he is covering, and how much time he takes to get to his spot. If you're honest you will reconsider whether Manning can run Kubiak's Offense assuming you had major doubts until this point.

I know it's been a few years, and age and whatnot, but Manning's Colts ran outside zone a tin, and he was great at it.

Sorter 03-08-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11369375)
I know it's been a few years, and age and whatnot, but Manning's Colts ran outside zone a tin, and he was great at it.

^^^This.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Q1uHL4yiCY...0/morenotd.gif

Additionally, if Kubiak is really concerned they can: A)Continue to run primarily out of the gun or B)Run more out of the pistol to shorten the distance. I don't think they'll necessarily have to do that though.

Just Passin' By 03-08-2015 10:44 PM

What point in the game is it?
What's the score?
How successful has Denver been running it up the middle to this point?

(Reason for asking is the possibility of shifting Poe)

Also, how's Manning's arm?

Sorter 03-08-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11369870)
What point in the game is it?
What's the score?
How successful has Denver been running it up the middle to this point?

(Reason for asking is the possibility of shifting Poe)

Also, how's Manning's arm?

First play of the game and Manning's arm is the same as it was as the beginning of last year for this scenario.

booger 03-09-2015 02:50 AM

Lazer Skunk! Got to throw Eric Berry some love.

Tempting to run under wasp sting if DJ is back in form. Hit them for a loss potentially. Could bite ya in the ass though

booger 03-09-2015 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11368628)
Will there be funneled kill-zones?

Only if Sutton goes to 52 bearcat Mike! Like the Duracell commericial with Patrick Willis LMAO
abort abort abort he's keeping it Patrick!

Aspengc8 03-09-2015 05:51 AM

Good ol' Dicky's fire zone.. especially if DJ is back, since he has a knack for shooting gaps.

http://strongfootballcoach.com/wp-co...zone-blitz.jpg

Mother****erJones 03-09-2015 06:22 AM

With Revis, I'm ****ing blitzing.

Honestly, I don't know much about scheme so I won't pretend to dick measure. 3-4 base, blitz with the safety. I definitely want to learn more about this though it's very interesting

Sorter 03-09-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booger (Post 11370047)
Lazer Skunk! Got to throw Eric Berry some love.

Tempting to run under wasp sting if DJ is back in form. Hit them for a loss potentially. Could bite ya in the ass though

I love this post.

RunKC 03-09-2015 09:08 AM

Sorter, how do you feel about Eric Kendricks?

Additionally, are there any other LB's you think could help defend this formation?

Sorter 03-09-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11370330)
Sorter, how do you feel about Eric Kendricks?

Additionally, are there any other LB's you think could help defend this formation?

If he's anything like his brother, I'd love to have him.

Oxford 03-09-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 11370081)
With Revis, I'm ****ing blitzing.

Honestly, I don't know much about scheme so I won't pretend to dick measure. 3-4 base, blitz with the safety. I definitely want to learn more about this though it's very interesting

Bury Manning every play they run this. Let them score quick, a 15 yard penalty is a 15 yard penalty regardless of severity.

Sorter 03-09-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 11370070)
Good ol' Dicky's fire zone.. especially if DJ is back, since he has a knack for shooting gaps.

http://strongfootballcoach.com/wp-co...zone-blitz.jpg

Really like the idea of slanting backside and bringing additional players playside (whether that's the SAM and Mike, SAM + Wil, etc).

Also think that buzzing instead of safety force helps with your MOF coverages and your backside OLB being able to play the flat from the fullback/TE that always seems to **** witH everyone.

Sully 03-09-2015 09:53 AM

Strong side power or CTR will eat that up, though, so be ready.

Sully 03-09-2015 09:54 AM

Shit...
Trap the weak side and the back will hit his head on the crossbar.

Sorter 03-09-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11370448)
Strong side power or CTR will eat that up, though, so be ready.

Werd.

Hopefully Kubes goes full Gibbs and refuses to believe any run exists apart from wide and tight zone.

Discuss Thrower 03-09-2015 10:14 AM

Given my tactical FB experience was limited to a simple route tree, two snaps at CB playing zone and functioning as a kickoff return speed bump I'm a little out of my league here.

But I won't let that stop me, bitches.

Follow Romeo's philosophy of having the linemen read and react.

Operate out of the nickel with perhaps a Ford or Hali playing near the LOS. If they aren't blitzing their responsibility is to cover short passes to the backs or TE or play the run.

Have Houston blitz or cover TE in the intermediate passing game. Last LB spot to a guy who can stay on the field without being a total liability in any one aspect.

Double Demariyus Thomas with Sean Smith and the nickel while Sanders gets single covered by Gaines or Fleming with single high safety help deep from Abdullah or whoever is playing the free. SS gets intermediate to deep zone on anyone who gets past the front six, maybe shadows Hali / Ford if the guy they're covering is particularly good in the passing game.

Point is you concede the run from this offensive set to limit quick scores from Manning. Going out of the nickel base could allow for easier substitutions if Broncs run no huddle. (..?)

Sully 03-09-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11370463)
Werd.

Hopefully Kubes goes full Gibbs and refuses to believe any run exists apart from wide and tight zone.

It helps that we don't have Eric Hicks played DE anymore.

Sorter 03-09-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11370511)
It helps that we don't have Eric Hicks played DE anymore.

LMAO

Sorter 03-09-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11370496)
Given my tactical FB experience was limited to a simple route tree, two snaps at CB playing zone and functioning as a kickoff return speed bump I'm a little out of my league here.

But I won't let that stop me, bitches.

Follow Romeo's philosophy of having the linemen read and react.

Operate out of the nickel with perhaps a Ford or Hali playing near the LOS. If they aren't blitzing their responsibility is to cover short passes to the backs or TE or play the run.

Have Houston blitz or cover TE in the intermediate passing game. Last LB spot to a guy who can stay on the field without being a total liability in any one aspect.

Double Demariyus Thomas with Sean Smith and the nickel while Sanders gets single covered by Gaines or Fleming with single high safety help deep from Abdullah or whoever is playing the free. SS gets intermediate to deep zone on anyone who gets past the front six, maybe shadows Hali / Ford if the guy they're covering is particularly good in the passing game.

Point is you concede the run from this offensive set to limit quick scores from Manning. Going out of the nickel base could allow for easier substitutions if Broncs run no huddle. (..?)

**** all that.

This thread is about stopping the run with base people. If people Post in this thread, we can progress to subs.

Discuss Thrower 03-09-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11370520)
**** all that.

This thread is about stopping the run with base people. If people Post in this thread, we can progress to subs.

Psh.

A team that chooses to run with Manning under center is doing the football of strangle wanking. It'll feel ****ing awesome at that time but at the end of the day all they are doing is strangling themselves.

But fine. I'll try and edumacate myself on what to do.

Sully 03-09-2015 10:46 AM

Ultimately, the front doesn't amtter. Find something you believe in, teach it, and run it.

The main questions are:

What do you want to take away?
- Outside zone

How do you take it away?
- 8 man box, disciplined play by front 4-7, talent

What will they counter with?
- Boot, drop back, possibly counter (or power)

Is your scheme sound to deal with those counters?
- No. My name is Greg Robinson

Have you formulated where your "kill zone" will be on the field?
- No. 52 Bearcat Mike is too much for these players to audible.

Chief_For_Life58 03-09-2015 10:49 AM

Kill the head and the body will die

Discuss Thrower 03-09-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 11370585)
Kill the head and the body will die

Ndamukong Suh has been fined $30,000 by the NFL.

Sorter 03-09-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 11370573)
Ultimately, the front doesn't amtter. Find something you believe in, teach it, and run it.

The main questions are:

What do you want to take away?
- Outside zone

How do you take it away?
- 8 man box, disciplined play by front 4-7, talent

What will they counter with?
- Boot, drop back, possibly counter (or power)

Is your scheme sound to deal with those counters?
- No. My name is Greg Robinson

Have you formulated where your "kill zone" will be on the field?
- No. 52 Bearcat Mike is too much for these players to audible

LMAO.

ping2000 03-09-2015 11:28 AM

All I know is we lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Couch-Potato 05-30-2015 12:46 PM

Not as football savvy as others here, but love this post and will give it a try.

I'm gonna play to our strengths, rather than concerning myself with theirs. Manning reads a defense better than anyone, but we might be at that threshold in our rivalry where they fear our defense, rather than us fearing their offense.

I'd stack 8 in the box, blitz Houston, and jam the hell out of those big WRs. Sutton's building this defense around those concepts, so lets let him show us what he's got. I do like Abdullah over Mauga to cover the TE as someone prev stated.

Ultimately, I'm not worried about CJ Anderson dinking and dunking, here and there. All I want is for Peyton to have to check down from a quick slant bc our CBs are manhandling their big wideouts on the outside, then realize his TE moved to FL and his replacement just got hit in the mouth by Hali and blanketed by abdullah, and just before he dumps it off to a HB we see the fear in his cold-pizza peddling eyes when he finally realizes that Houston is coming at him like a lighting bolt and SNAP! He's already on the ground watching the play from an out-of-body experience, and at that moment he realizes that A) He should probably retire AND B) The Chiefs are for real this season.

listopencil 05-30-2015 12:51 PM

I would tear the ACL of their Left Tackle.

TribalElder 05-30-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11526021)
I would tear the ACL of their Left Tackle.

Late hit on manning until he crumbles

Then get raped by Brock osterich

srvy 05-30-2015 04:13 PM

Pay some creep to stab Manning in the back of his zipper neck with and icepick?