ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Vocal Fry - Notice or Not? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290210)

Baby Lee 01-26-2015 07:26 PM

Vocal Fry - Notice or Not?

Curious how the issue breaks down by age and gender. Or if people here even notice.

Evidently, this is a big deal in the audio news industry [read NPR], where they say it's quickly becoming the source of their most vitriolic hate mail.

Not to guide responses, there appears to be a generational gap where older listeners hear unprofessionalism and boredom and younger listeners hear education and sophistication.

It's the gutteral exhalation that accompanies trailing sentences, demonstrated here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YEqVgtLQ7qM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clips from the first 10 minutes of NPR's new Invisibilia

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JfgBgpFJYto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 01-26-2015 07:31 PM

Kill every person that does this and the world will be a better place.

cosmo20002 01-26-2015 07:33 PM

I notice it and hate it. It's like a more subtle 'valley girl' thing. Anyone who does it should be thrown in an ebola dumpster or whatever

listopencil 01-26-2015 07:34 PM

It's horrible.

Psyko Tek 01-26-2015 07:37 PM

it's a way to figure out people you do not wanna be around

jd1020 01-26-2015 07:43 PM

Cant say I've noticed it.

Then again, I never watched the Kardashians.

Brock 01-26-2015 07:46 PM

I don't know what this is.

lewdog 01-26-2015 07:55 PM

Well as the resident speech therapist on CP, it's a bad behavior to use and can cause vocal cord damage. It is a voice disorder in my opinion. Correct it you worthless sacks of shit.

Iconic 01-26-2015 07:56 PM

I am in college. This shit is everywhere packaged with uptalk. Basically the female student body thinks this sort of ditzy behavior is 'sexy'- it's popular particularly with the blondes (no surprise there).

It's cultural equivalent is the cringe worthy duckface.

Ming the Merciless 01-26-2015 07:59 PM

That's actually how baby Lee "sounds," when I read his drivel

Baby Lee 01-26-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11293830)
That's actually how baby Lee "sounds," when I read his drivel

Edgy. Trenchant.

Here's what it sounds like when you warble Cassel's praises.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/naTKfFTPTY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ghak99 01-26-2015 08:06 PM

You've officially Deberged yourself.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...php?p=10834889

kcchiefsus 01-26-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 11293850)
You've officially Deberged yourself.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...php?p=10834889

Who the **** are you?

Gadzooks 01-26-2015 08:15 PM

In every business meeting I make sure to note every peculiar behavioral characteristic associated to each individual.
It helps pass the time...
I'm surprised more people don't notice these idiosyncrasies. They can be quite entertaining.

Baby Lee 01-26-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 11293877)
In every business meeting I make sure to note every peculiar behavioral characteristic associated to each individual.
It helps pass the time...
I'm surprised more people don't notice these idiosyncrasies. They can be quite entertaining.

Do you watch 'Episodes?' That network lackey Myra, with the vocal fry who no one knows what she does or why she's there, cracks me up regularly.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6_kM1YXY7Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Canofbier 01-26-2015 08:27 PM

I don't mind vocal fry in moderation, even in singing - and I say that having a LOT of personal training. I can see how it would be worrisome in a position like an NPR broadcaster, but I think it's fine if used in moderation.

DaneMcCloud 01-26-2015 08:27 PM

Chelsea Peretti, who I think is hilarious, does the vocal fry. Personally, I prefer it to the "uptick" in which any factual statement sounds like a question.

NewChief 01-26-2015 08:52 PM

The NPR piece was really interesting, and the thread responses here back it up.

It's basically seen as a female trait, and people are annoyed by it when females do it. In actuality, lots of men do it as well. Yet... people are predominantly annoyed when women do it.

I'm kind of like Dane. I think that uptick bothers me worse than vocal fry. I mean... there's subtle vocal fry, which isn't that annoying (like the broadcaster on NPR), and there's Kardashian vocal fry which annoys the crap out of me.

Fire Me Boy! 01-26-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11293883)
Do you watch 'Episodes?' That network lackey Myra, with the vocal fry who no one knows what she does or why she's there, cracks me up regularly.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6_kM1YXY7Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love Episodes, and Myra cracks my shit up!

lewdog 01-26-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11293946)
The NPR piece was really interesting, and the thread responses here back it up.

It's basically seen as a female trait, and people are annoyed by it when females do it. In actuality, lots of men do it as well. Yet... people are predominantly annoyed when women do it.

I'm kind of like Dane. I think that uptick bothers me worse than vocal fry. I mean... there's subtle vocal fry, which isn't that annoying (like the broadcaster on NPR), and there's Kardashian vocal fry which annoys the crap out of me.

It's annoying to me because these dumb broads are doing it without actually having a voice disorder. If you are constantly doing it, it's vocal abuse. That tissues is pretty sensitive.

I personally hope that ALL the Kardashian women develop a huge, nasty vocal nodule from doing it. One that needs surgery. I hope they go in for surgery and the nodule isn't removable or they have to remove so much of it that they take vocal fold tissue as well. Thus causing them to lose their voice forever.

NewChief 01-26-2015 08:58 PM

Interestingly, I'm watching BBC right now. They were interviewing a French guy. He was nailing the shit out of some vocal fry as he was struggling to find words in English to express himself. It sounded sophisticated as hell and intelligent, though, because of accent and gender.

tooge 01-26-2015 08:58 PM

Don't recognize it and WOULD the gals doing it in the video

Demonpenz 01-26-2015 09:03 PM

I hear it all the time in westport.

Discuss Thrower 01-26-2015 09:11 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rLhS46IcnSs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

circa 1998-1999

EPodolak 01-26-2015 09:23 PM

Sounds like entitlement to me.

Why Not? 01-26-2015 09:58 PM

Didn't listen. Just looked at purple haired chicks boobs.

Baby Lee 01-26-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11293947)
I love Episodes, and Myra cracks my shit up!

The genius of the scene I embedded is that the funniest thing about it is the long pause she takes thinking about whether or not pauses are funny.

BTW, have you seen the actress who plays her out of character. Pretty impressive how much she changes to play Myra. Plus she's yummy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EshBY00yrkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silock 01-26-2015 10:16 PM

Notice it. Hate it.

Gadzooks 01-26-2015 10:32 PM

I'll have to check out "episodes".
My 13 year old daughter has taken to imitating Miranda Sings. It's a nasally drone that makes me want to vomit:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UpvbTIHSgKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm attempting to shame this behavior out of her but it's taking longer than expected.

The most entertaining person I've come across had a natural delay effect while speaking.
For example she'd say things like:
"were preparing for the Gate II presentation, tation..."
"that's a great idea, dea"
"this company will host our servers, st our servers"

I also enjoy people who chew their nails past the cuticle as a sign of boredom or stress.

People who repeat the same word or or phrase to replace an "Um..." is also an exciting thing to watch in person. Counting the number of times they say their word(s) helps the time fly right by.

Strongside 01-26-2015 10:33 PM

I have a coworker that does this non stop on phone calls. I want to rip her vocal cords out and **** the wound with steel wool.

Baby Lee 01-26-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 11294140)
I'll have to check out "episodes".
My 13 year old daughter has taken to imitating Miranda Sings. It's a nasally drone that makes me want to vomit:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UpvbTIHSgKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm attempting to shame this behavior out of her but it's taking longer than expected.

The most entertaining person I've come across had a natural delay effect while speaking.
For example she'd say things like:
"were preparing for the Gate II presentation, tation..."
"that's a great idea, dea"
"this company will host our servers, st our servers"

I also enjoy people who chew their nails past the cuticle as a sign of boredom or stress.

People who repeat the same word or or phrase to replace an "Um..." is also an exciting thing to watch in person. Counting the number of times they say their word(s) helps the time fly right by.

I don't follow her, but she was a decent foil for Jerry on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

It hits a little close to home because my aunt is almost completely deaf since a toddler, and she has a lot of the same pronunciation problems [think Ferrigno]. But it's pretty funny, all in all.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee....giving-miranda

Pitt Gorilla 01-26-2015 11:15 PM

Quite the worthy post. Would read again.

Gadzooks 01-26-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11294186)
I don't follow her, but she was a decent foil for Jerry on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

It hits a little close to home because my aunt is almost completely deaf since a toddler, and she has a lot of the same pronunciation problems [think Ferrigno]. But it's pretty funny, all in all.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee....giving-miranda

Jerry's show helped me figure out where her speech pattern was coming from ROFL.

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt, but the only time I laugh at my Mom is when she imitates deaf people. I know it's horrible and we're both going to hell but she's really good at it and it's hilarious.

If I had her speak to my daughter that way for a week, it would either eliminate the problem or make it worse.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2015 11:25 PM

I swear you or someone else posted this exact thread not long ago

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2015 11:26 PM

Also the term "vocal fry" is much more annoying than the voice itself

Rausch 01-26-2015 11:44 PM

I've never noticed or thought about it but...brought to my attention.

Yes, women that do this DO annoy the **** out of me...

Rausch 01-26-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 11294255)
Also the term "vocal fry" is much more annoying than the voice itself

No, seems fitting.

Mr. Kotter 01-26-2015 11:48 PM

This seems to be the opposite/gender companion...to the whole Boy George/Michael Jackson androgyny-non-gender discussion of the late 80's...

Both seem true; wow...equally annoying.

ClevelandBronco 01-26-2015 11:51 PM

Being a loyal listener of several NPR products, I subscribed to Invisibilia immediately. 15 minutes into the first episode I unsubscribed and it's because I just couldn't take another minutes of hearing that bitch's voice.

Saccopoo 01-27-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11294235)
Quite the worthy post. Would read again.

I don't know...hearing these sounds made me queasy all over again.

Discuss Thrower 01-27-2015 12:39 AM

i <3 Faith Sallie.

Fire Me Boy! 01-27-2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11294097)
The genius of the scene I embedded is that the funniest thing about it is the long pause she takes thinking about whether or not pauses are funny.

BTW, have you seen the actress who plays her out of character. Pretty impressive how much she changes to play Myra. Plus she's yummy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EshBY00yrkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On my phone and not able to see the embed, but I remember that scene and it was hysterical.

And yeah, I've seen her on other things - the change is pretty remarkable.

WhawhaWhat 01-27-2015 07:04 AM

Both guys on the 610 afternoon show do it, and it's so annoying that it makes me change the channel.

Dayze 01-27-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 11294452)
Both guys on the 610 afternoon show do it, and it's so annoying that it makes me change the channel.

yeah, I noticed that. I don't have a radio in my ride, but used the wife's car for about a week during christmas to drive to/from work. Listened to sports radio for the first time in 2 years; in addition to being unlistenable....I did notice the guys on 610 did this voice fry thing. God. ****ing. Awful.

Baby Lee 05-09-2015 01:00 PM

Hoyl shit!! Compare the voice in the hallway to the voice when talking with the expecting couple.

<iframe width="513" height="315" src="http://www.tlc.com/embed?page=140919" frameborder="0"></iframe>