ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Was this a fake bubble screen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289285)

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 12:32 PM

Was this a fake bubble screen?

Keep in mind that they ran multiple bubble screens successfully earlier in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412...3425&tab=recap

jd1020 12-19-2014 12:41 PM

No.

Alex never even looked at DAT.

alpha_omega 12-19-2014 12:45 PM

I say "no".

Side note....sure would be nice if they would reduce the number of times i had to watch the commercial(s) before viewing the video(s).

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 12:49 PM

So DAT stopping and waiting for a pass and Kelce slowly going into his route doesn't give you the idea of it being a bubble screen?

The Raiders sure looked like they were playing it like one.

Fish 12-19-2014 12:56 PM

Zero Chiefs players screen blocking. Wilson and DAT on both sides running a quick hitch. Bowe and Kelce running slants. Charles fakes draw up the middle.

The defense drops 3 DBs 10+ yards deep into coverage.

Nope.

BigBeauford 12-19-2014 01:09 PM

Did you really just start another thread based on an argument you were having with fish in another thread that you somehow felt stupidly compelled to start?

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 11202506)
Did you really just start another thread based on an argument you were having with fish in another thread that you somehow felt stupidly compelled to start?

Yes, I'll also start a thread asking if Charles Woodson is covering Wilson on that same play because that's what fish told me.

Mr. Laz 12-19-2014 01:15 PM

fake or play design?

Dat was there to bring the defender up and help clear out the slant for Kelce

Kelce was the 1st option

maybe DaT was the 2nd option if the defender didn't come up

we probably won't ever know

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11202517)
fake or play design?

Dat was there to bring the defender up and help clear out the slant for Kelce

Kelce was the 1st option

maybe DaT was the 2nd option if the defender didn't come up

we probably won't ever know

Play design was to make the defense think bubble screen and it worked. Smith mentions it in his post game interview on how they set them up to make that play successful.

Mr. Laz 12-19-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202527)
Play design was to make the defense think bubble screen and it worked. Smith mentions it in his post game interview on how they set them up to make that play successful.

similar to running the quick sweep to DaT and then later faking it and then giving the ball to Charles

defense has to honor a successful play, that can set up other plays

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 11202532)
similar to running the quick sweep to DaT and then later faking it and then giving the ball to Charles

defense has to honor a successful play, that can set up other plays

Maybe I should reword the question to… Was this play designed to make the defense think bubble screen?

Fish 12-19-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202550)
Maybe I should reword the question to… Was this play designed to make the defense think bubble screen?

Dropping 3 DBs back into deep coverage isn't a defense against a bubble screen. You've completely ignored that point....

Mr. Laz 12-19-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202550)

i'm not sure what difference it makes.

The play was designed to force the defender on that side to choose between coming up for DaT or jumping inside for Kelce. Both the slant and WR screen demand that defenders make quick decision and charge hard to break the play up. On the slant the defender has to beat the WR to a spot. On the screen the defender has to come forward and get to the WR before a blocker gets in the way.

By showing both in the same area Reid has made defending it even more difficult. If the defender even hesitates in deciding which way to go it's probably already too late.

Sully 12-19-2014 01:42 PM

I'm keying the RT on that, and he down blocks. I'd have to see what he does on the actual bubble screens, but I'd bet it's the same action, or the RT cuts.

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202565)
Dropping 3 DBs back into deep coverage isn't a defense against a bubble screen. You've completely ignored that point....

http://i.imgur.com/U9oEs3T.jpg

What 3 DBs are you talking about? I see 1 DB beyond 10 yards of the LOS, another DB and LB within 10 yards of it.

Sully 12-19-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202565)

That's meaningless.

You have no idea what those defensive guys are keying.

Fish 12-19-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202584)

What 3 DBs are you talking about? I see 1 DB beyond 10 yards of the LOS, another DB and LB within 10 yards of it.

Can you count to 11? There's another DB off the screen he's so far deep.

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202593)
Can you count to 11? There's another DB off the screen he's so far deep.

The safety was deep and out of that picture, but judging by his late reaction on making a move towards Kelce, he was keyed in on DAT as well.

Fish 12-19-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202608)
The safety was deep and out of that picture, but judging by his late reaction on making a move towards Kelce, he was keyed in on DAT as well.

Why would a safety be deep and out of the picture if they were supposedly expecting a screen pass?

listopencil 12-19-2014 02:43 PM

In real time I'd say no. I guess it's possible though. You can kind of see it. Maybe they are faking a play where Kelce blocks #25, the other receiver gets the ball down low and makes one guy miss, follows Kelce down the sideline and into the end zone.

hometeam 12-19-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202608)

Im not sure what you are trying to prove with this thread.

Whatever it is, its wrong, since your whole basis is wrong.

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202616)
Why would a safety be deep and out of the picture if they were supposedly expecting a screen pass?

But the other 2 DBs in the picture are not deep and backpedaling.

listopencil 12-19-2014 02:46 PM

I don't know if you can call it a bubble screen though when there are only two offensive and two defensive players involved. I tend to think of a bubble screen as a play designed to get +1 offensive player in specific parts of the field so he has potentially great blocking after the catch.

Fish 12-19-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202692)
But the other 2 DBs in the picture are not deep and backpedaling.

There are 5 DBs on the field for Oakland in nickel coverage. Woodson, Brown, Hayden, Carrie, and Ross. Woodson and Carrie are playing press man coverage at the line. Brown and Hayden are both way off the line. Ross is about 20 yards deep in the middle of the field. When the ball is snapped, Brown sits tight 7yds deep in coverage, Hayden starts backpedaling, and even Burris, the LB drops 10 yards deep in coverage. Ross remains so deep he's completely off the screen.

There's no indication that the Raiders were expecting a screen pass. Other than Woodson and Carrie, the rest of the DBs and and even a LB are dropping back in coverage. At the time the ball is released, there are 3DBs and 1 LB at least 7yds off the line of scrimmage. That's just not screen pass coverage.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rrvrzq.jpg

Here's the instant the ball was released. 2 of the DBs aren't even visible on the screen.

JENKINSWINS 12-19-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202746)
There are 5 DBs on the field for Oakland in nickel coverage. Woodson, Brown, Hayden, Carrie, and Ross. Woodson and Carrie are playing press man coverage at the line. Brown and Hayden are both way off the line. Ross is about 20 yards deep in the middle of the field. When the ball is snapped, Brown sits tight 7yds deep in coverage, Hayden starts backpedaling, and even Burris, the LB drops 10 yards deep in coverage. Ross remains so deep he's completely off the screen.

There's no indication that the Raiders were expecting a screen pass. Other than Woodson and Carrie, the rest of the DBs and and even a LB are dropping back in coverage. At the time the ball is released, there are 3DBs and 1 LB at least 7yds off the line of scrimmage. That's just not screen pass coverage.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rrvrzq.jpg

Here's the instant the ball was released. 2 of the DBs aren't even visible on the screen.

Whatever the case, it was definitely set up successfully by the prior bubble screens that they ran earlier in the game.

Sorter 12-19-2014 04:08 PM

http://i.imgur.com/62hB1fc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LyDpOSX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FeNziaF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/h4Ff8Lx.jpg

jd1020 12-19-2014 05:28 PM

Charles was in the backfield and he didn't get the ball... FAKE RUN!!!

mdchiefsfan 12-19-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 11203071)

LMAO

listopencil 12-19-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Smith faked the hand off and the line looked like it was showing run action.

Simply Red 12-19-2014 06:00 PM

I'm not sitting through TWO ****ING 30 sec ads for Courtyard featuring Rich ****ing Eisen.

Learn alternative embedding or video sources. That sucks and is a huge waste of time. So with that said, my conclusion is entirely opposite of OP's - whatever his opinion is - mine is the opposite!

WhiteWhale 12-19-2014 06:24 PM

This is very important and requires an entire thread devoted to it.

WhitiE 12-19-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Lol nice

ViperVisor 12-19-2014 07:28 PM

The Charles run up the middle threat keeps the DE and LB close to the middle. That holds them for a split so when Kelce angles toward the middle the throwing lane is clear and gives some extra space for Kelce to go after the catch.

kccrow 12-19-2014 07:50 PM

They definitely gave the Raiders the look of a bubble screen to hopefully suck the linebacker down and hold the corner to defend the screen and open up the underside of Kelce.

cdcox 12-19-2014 08:23 PM

Sorter, where did you get the Jimmy Raye point of view of that play?

ThaVirus 12-19-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11203144)
I'm not sitting through TWO ****ING 30 sec ads for Courtyard featuring Rich ****ing Eisen.

Learn alternative embedding or video sources. That sucks and is a huge waste of time. So with that said, my conclusion is entirely opposite of OP's - whatever his opinion is - mine is the opposite!

LMAO

You seem funny.

Sorter 12-19-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 11203467)
Sorter, where did you get the Jimmy Raye point of view of that play?

Mo Carthon lent it to me.

He's a nice guy.

aturnis 12-19-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11202616)

He's not arguing that they expected one, he's arguing that they reacted as if they believed it was one. As clearly intended.

cdcox 12-19-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11204039)
Mo Carthon lent it to me.

He's a nice guy.

LMAO

Dave Lane 12-20-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKINSWINS (Post 11202584)

5 yards is deep for Alex Smith.

JENKINSWINS 12-20-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11204219)
He's not arguing that they expected one, he's arguing that they reacted as if they believed it was one. As clearly intended.

Thank you.

KCrockaholic 12-20-2014 11:34 AM

The Chiefs run many different variations of the bubble screen/slant concept. It's just a route combination that forces a defender to choose who to key on. If the defender picks DAT here then it leaves a passing lane for Kelce. If the defender stays off, then DAT makes the catch and Kelce is now in position to block downfield. We run this play every single game, it just isn't always that same formation or personnel.

It's not really a "fake" bubble screen. It's similar to the read option. The defender chooses who is going to keep the ball. If the QB keeps the ball do we call this a "fake" handoff? No, because that's not what it is. It's the QB reading the edge defender and he breaks down the line rather than staying outside contain.

xztop123 12-20-2014 12:14 PM

Is this the play with the screen/ read option built in? That was a strange play the dumb announcers didnt even comment on it.

xztop123 12-20-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 11204684)
The Chiefs run many different variations of the bubble screen/slant concept. It's just a route combination that forces a defender to choose who to key on. If the defender picks DAT here then it leaves a passing lane for Kelce. If the defender stays off, then DAT makes the catch and Kelce is now in position to block downfield. We run this play every single game, it just isn't always that same formation or personnel.

It's not really a "fake" bubble screen. It's similar to the read option. The defender chooses who is going to keep the ball. If the QB keeps the ball do we call this a "fake" handoff? No, because that's not what it is. It's the QB reading the edge defender and he breaks down the line rather than staying outside contain.

This.

They do it all the time. its just to give extra space (since the defender wouldn't actually be on the TE any way, he would just be closer to him)