ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink How do you do stuffing? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288470)

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 02:41 PM

How do you do stuffing?

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's skip past the turkey and talk about what everyone loves most - stuffing/dressing.

How do you do it?

I'll admit, until I started dating my wife, my entire experience with stuffing/dressing was Stove Top. I didn't mind, but now I know better. And for the last decade plus, I make mine homemade. Sometimes I use the pre-cubed (un-seasoned) bread, but mostly I'll make my own.

Mine is pretty basic. It's what Mrs. FMB's dad made, and what we like. I've made a few modifications, and I think mine's better, but it's still very basic.

I prefer to start by drying out the bread in the oven. Add some diced onion, celery, mushrooms, and minced garlic sauteed in butter, and toss with the bread. I'll season pretty aggressively with rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Then it all gets moistened with stock - I really try for homemade turkey stock, but sometimes I just use from the store. Bake it all up under foil, and then take the foil off and let the top get crispy.

Dayze 11-17-2014 02:43 PM

first, i consult with Xvideos.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11121423)

LMAO LMAO

Not exactly what I was going for...

Katipan 11-17-2014 02:45 PM

Mine is similar except we trade apples for the mushrooms.

My stuffing in the turkey is reserved for sandwiches, no one is allowed to touch that.

Dayze 11-17-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121427)
LMAO LMAO

Not exactly what I was going for...

damnit wrong thread...

mr. tegu 11-17-2014 02:53 PM

I usually start by deciding not to do it.

Dayze 11-17-2014 02:56 PM

I have a pretty decent dressing; my dad's recipe. he calls it 'sage dressing'; really just a box of bread crumbs, melted butter, sage, rosemary etc. really simple. usually turns out really good.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 02:59 PM

When it comes to the holidays, I go with a modified Portuguese style, and use a few variations, depending on my mood and the guest list:

bread (or a Pepperidge farms bag mix, if time is an issue)
chourico
peppers
onions
celery
parsley
salt
pepper
garlic
stock

Options as additives or replacements
mushrooms (if the mood strikes)
olives (if the mood strikes)
ground beef (if it's dressing) or not (if it's stuffing)
eggs (sometimes, depending on how things set up without them)
Milk (replacement or augmentation of stock)

Some add paprika along with the chourico, but I don't do that

Ming the Merciless 11-17-2014 03:03 PM

bread cubes

rice is not real stuffing.

I sautee a mince of onions, celery and mushrooms....well seasoned and mix into bread cubes.

Of course stale bread works probably the best but there are certain brands of bread cubes and certain kinds of bread cubes or croutons that work fine.

I find the best cubes are the smallest, hardest cubes.

I dont want mush, I want cubes when its done. SO you can tell the good stuffing cubes by squeezing the bag a litle to see which has the smallest , hardest, densest cubes that do not crumble and theres no powdery bullshit in the bag

Or make your own cubes with stale bread like some rye and sourdough.

I mix the sautee into the cubes with some melted butter and chicken stock.

I always make enough to stuff the bird and also do a 9x13 pan full.

The bird stuffing often gets too moist, and you can get it perfect in the 9x13.

I find a mixture of bird stuffing with the 9x13 is the perfect mix....as i like to get the 9x13 pan crispy on top and it works perfectly over the moist bird stuffing.

One key is that I like meat in my stuffing/ dressing. I will usually buy a smoked turkey leg or some andouille sausage and make sure that little bits of meat are mixed in thouroughly with the sauteed mushrooms and onions.

SOmetimes I will mix gravy in before baking the 9x13 also...

I'm pretty much the king of stuffing

WhawhaWhat 11-17-2014 03:05 PM

Ask your wife. j/k.

I love cornbread stuffing with little chunks of spicy sausage and dried cranberries. Celery, onions and garlic are added in there too. My mom makes it so I am sure there is other stuff in it too.

eDave 11-17-2014 03:05 PM

I go to someone else's house for Thanksgiving. Would love an invite from Pawnmower.

Ming the Merciless 11-17-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11121472)
I go to someone else's house for Thanksgiving. Would love an invite from Pawnmower.

you dont happen to live in the middle of bum **** egypt on the north sonoma coast perchance?

anyone is invited!!!

would love to have a chiefs planet fest for left coasters

BigMeatballDave 11-17-2014 03:09 PM

Years ago, my mother used to make the stuffing after the turkey in the same roasting pan with all those drippings.

She added celery and onions and whatever seasoning.

Fantastic!

KCUnited 11-17-2014 03:10 PM

I don't know all the details, but we use Mendolia Italian sausage and provolone cheese. I smoked a couple whole chickens yesterday and used the carcasses to make the stock.

Katipan 11-17-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121482)
Years ago, my mother used to make the stuffing after the turkey in the same roasting pan with all those drippings.

She added celery and onions and whatever seasoning.

Fantastic!

That's my gravy, but now I want to do that.

ptlyon 11-17-2014 03:15 PM

Pawnmower makes the best stuffing.

Or is it stuffing makes the best Pawnmower?

I can never remember.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:15 PM

For the past five years I went to making mine from scratch after I enrolled my daughter in this cooking school online for her culinary arts elective when I homeschooled her in her last two years of high school. I see they still have the recipe on their site to view.

It was such a hit, I now make it every year but I use this wheat-free bread from Sami's Bakery sold at my local Natural Food store.

http://samisbakery.com/our-products/...et-flax-bread/

It is millet-flax and has no yeast either. No one, without a wheat allergy has noticed or complained but still rave about this stuffing.

This stuffing calls for fresh sage leaves, fresh thyme and starts with a classic Mirepoix (celery, carrot and onion).

http://rouxbe.com/recipes/110-traditional-stuffing

ToxSocks 11-17-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11121423)

Mother****er. Beat me to it.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:19 PM

I no longer put my stuffing in the bird. I bake it separate.

Other times I've made wild-rice stuffing with mushrooms, cornbread and Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing bread cubes. ( before I knew I had a wheat allergy )

Dayze 11-17-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11121504)
Mother****er. Beat me to it.

sicko.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:38 PM

Who said rice is not real stuffing? It can be anything. The Pilgrims stuffed theirs with onion chunks and herbs. They even boiled their turkey and spit roasted smaller birds like passenger pigeons which were numerous at the time. Visit Plymouth Plantation.

BigMeatballDave 11-17-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121565)
Who said rice is not real stuffing? It can be anything. The Pilgrims stuffed theirs with onion chunks and herbs. They even boiled their turkey and spit roasted smaller birds like passenger pigeons which were numerous at the time. Visit Plymouth Plantation.

Meh, stuffing is bread.

Pablo 11-17-2014 03:43 PM

If I showed up to any of my family Thanksgivings and they had rice stuffing, I would not be satisfied or inclined to eat it. **** that noise.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121513)
I no longer put my stuffing in the bird.

Heathen

Katipan 11-17-2014 03:46 PM

You can't make sandwiches with dry stuffing.

YOU CAN'T.

WhawhaWhat 11-17-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121513)
I no longer put my stuffing in the bird. I bake it separate.

It's way better this way.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121579)
Meh, stuffing is bread.

That's a bread stuffing. Is what most use is all.

Katipan 11-17-2014 03:48 PM

I put rice in the neck so it bakes pretty (not collapsed) and then I have turkey rice.

BigMeatballDave 11-17-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121585)
Heathen

My mother never did it.

I've had stuffing in the brid, once. It sucked.

I've never done it and I never will. I'd rather have Stove Top LOL

ToxSocks 11-17-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121599)
My mother never did it.

Same.

BigMeatballDave 11-17-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121592)
That's a bread stuffing. Is what most use is all.

I like rice, but when I'm eating stuffing it must be bread.

And corn bread stuffing sucks, too.

TLO 11-17-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 11121595)
I put rice in the neck so it bakes pretty (not collapsed) and then I have turkey rice.

That sounds yummy. Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving Dinner? My family is in Europe, and I'm stuck at school. :(

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121599)
My mother never did it.

Dressing is the stuff that is made outside the bird. It's what you give to the people you don't like as much. Stuffing is what is made inside the bird. It's what you give to your favorite guests, because it's much better.

If you had shitty stuffing, it would have been shitty dressing, too.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121585)
Heathen

Yup!

According to RouxBe Cooking School stuffing "acts as insulation and makes cooking the turkey that much longer, creating dry breast meat. Hot air cannot get inside the turkey and can’t cook the meat closest to the bone, which is the area that takes the longest to cook."

http://rouxbe.com/recipes/106-roaste...-gravy/preview

Katipan 11-17-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11121606)
That sounds yummy. Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving Dinner? My family is in Europe, and I'm stuck at school. :(

I would love to have you, but I just did my Thanksgiving. I work on the real holiday. :( I don't like the idea of you just sitting at college.

Unless you're surrounded by chicks and drugs I suppose.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121611)
Yup!

According to RouxBe Cooking School stuffing "acts as insulation and makes cooking the turkey that much longer, creating dry breast meat. Hot air cannot get inside the turkey and can’t cook the meat closest to the bone, which is the area that takes the longest to cook."

http://rouxbe.com/recipes/106-roaste...-gravy/preview

LMAO

Apparently, the RouxBe Cooking School doesn't know how to cook turkey.

ToxSocks 11-17-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121617)
LMAO

You don't know what you just started.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121604)
I like rice, but when I'm eating stuffing it must be bread.

And corn bread stuffing sucks, too.

Cornbread is bread tho.' I didn't care for the cornbread when I tried it one year. One year a friend made it with oysters and it was pretty good but mine didn't come out right for some reason.

I think bread stuffing is most popular. I like to experiment on occasion but have mostly had bread stuffing with turkey or roast chicken. I stuffed Cornish Game Hens with a ricotta and spinach stuffing once and that was delicious.

stevieray 11-17-2014 03:56 PM

I usually use stockings hung with care.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121617)
LMAO

I've changed how I do it ever since using that school. I even brine my turkey now too. Made a big difference.

They know how to cook turkey. There's just more than one way to skin-a-cat.

BigMeatballDave 11-17-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121609)
Dressing is the stuff that is made outside the bird. It's what you give to the people you don't like as much. Stuffing is what is made inside the bird. It's what you give to your favorite guests, because it's much better.

If you had shitty stuffing, it would have been shitty dressing, too.

Splitting hairs.

It's stuffing to me.

TLO 11-17-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 11121615)
I would love to have you, but I just did my Thanksgiving. I work on the real holiday. :( I don't like the idea of you just sitting at college.

Unless you're surrounded by chicks and drugs I suppose.

There are a lot of drugs. Most of the chicks will be at home with their families, I'd imagine. I'll probably make do. :)

tooge 11-17-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121418)
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's skip past the turkey and talk about what everyone loves most - stuffing/dressing.

How do you do it?

I'll admit, until I started dating my wife, my entire experience with stuffing/dressing was Stove Top. I didn't mind, but now I know better. And for the last decade plus, I make mine homemade. Sometimes I use the pre-cubed (un-seasoned) bread, but mostly I'll make my own.

Mine is pretty basic. It's what Mrs. FMB's dad made, and what we like. I've made a few modifications, and I think mine's better, but it's still very basic.

I prefer to start by drying out the bread in the oven. Add some diced onion, celery, mushrooms, and minced garlic sauteed in butter, and toss with the bread. I'll season pretty aggressively with rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Then it all gets moistened with stock - I really try for homemade turkey stock, but sometimes I just use from the store. Bake it all up under foil, and then take the foil off and let the top get crispy.

Mine sounds about like yours, but I like to add a very finely diced green apple

saphojunkie 11-17-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11121627)
Splitting hairs.

It's stuffing to me.

It's really not.

Stuffing isn't dressing.

Grilling isn't barbecuing.

Lecterns aren't podiums.

Definitions are real.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:03 PM

I like the idea of apples in a stuffing or even pruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunes!

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121626)
I've changed how I do it ever since using that school. I even brine my turkey now too. Made a big difference.

They know how to cook turkey. There's just more than one way to skin-a-cat.

:spock:

While I agree that there's more than one way to cook a turkey, you were the one tossing out the dry breast meat excuse from that school as the justification for not putting stuffing in the bird.

Frosty 11-17-2014 04:04 PM

I haven't had stuffing/dressing in years and don't miss it.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121649)

While I agree that there's more than one way to cook a turkey, you were the one tossing out the dry breast meat excuse for not putting stuffing in the bird.

No, I said that's what RouxBe said because your "heathen" comment implied they were doing it incorrectly. I simply changed the way I do it because I trust what they said. I also heard, but may be an old wives tale, that there's bacteria if you put inside. I would think the heat would kill all that though.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121649)

While I agree that there's more than one way to cook a turkey, you were the one tossing out the dry breast meat excuse from that school as the justification for not putting stuffing in the bird.

She's right. Alton Brown agrees.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/11/a...nksgiving.html

From his Good Eats: Early Years book:

Quote:

When it comes to turkey, Stuffing Is Evil. That's because stuffing goes into the middle of the bird and is extremely porous. That means that as the turkey around it cooks, juices that may contain salmonella bacteria soak into the stuffing, which then must be cooked to a minimum of 165°F in order to be safe. Getting the stuffing to this temperature usually means overcooking the turkey.

The way I see it, cooking stuffing inside a turkey turns the turkey into a rather costly seal-a-meal bag. If you're a stuffing fan, I suggest cooking it separately (in which case it's "dressing," not stuffing) and inserting it into the bird while it rests. Odds are no one will notice the difference.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:07 PM

And frankly, since I started making mine with homemade stock, I'd put mine up against any I've done in the bird previously, and I'd bet dollars to donuts you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:08 PM

My past bread stuffings, but not my rice stuffings, did come out mushy and wet when I had it inside the bird cooking.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121654)
No, I said that's what RouxBe said.

You quoted it. Are you really going to continue with this?

I've been making turkeys about every 1-2 months for the past 10 years, give or take. I have no problems stuffing a turkey and still having moist turkey breast meat.

saphojunkie 11-17-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121660)
And frankly, since I started making mine with homemade stock, I'd put mine up against any I've done in the bird previously, and I'd bet dollars to donuts you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Slightly off topic, but have you tried French Laundry's recipe for roasted chicken? It is literally the best chicken skin I've ever had. Period.

I've seen him talk about it multiple times, and it's just salt, pepper, and then a little thyme.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EWLt6G85zC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Katipan 11-17-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121663)
My past bread stuffings, but not my rice stuffings, did come out mushy and wet when I had it inside the bird cooking.

Perfect!!

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121657)
She's right. Alton Brown agrees.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/11/a...nksgiving.html

From his Good Eats: Early Years book:

She's not right. 10 years agree. And, while I love getting Alton's takes, his fear of anything remotely 'unclean' takes him down some foolish and/or needless paths.

Frosty 11-17-2014 04:10 PM

Does anyone put turkey meat in their stuffing? My M-I-L puts the dark meat from the wings/drums in the stuffing and I've always thought it was weird and gross.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121663)

Whenever I did mine in the bird, I always kept the mix a little dry. That's the key to doing them in the bird.

stevieray 11-17-2014 04:12 PM

I forgot to mention the chimney...:harumph:

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121668)
She's not right. 10 years agree. And, while I love getting Alton's takes, his fear of anything remotely 'unclean' takes him down some foolish and/or needless paths.

Maybe you have some magical way of cooking stuffing inside a bird that heats the stuffing sufficiently to make it safe while not overcooking the breast, but most of use don't have that oven.

:p

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11121669)
Does anyone put turkey meat in their stuffing? My M-I-L puts the dark meat from the wings/drums in the stuffing and I've always thought it was weird and gross.

That seems like a terrible waste of the best meat.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121664)
You quoted it. Are you really going to continue with this?

'Eh what? I can defend my post if I want.

Quote:

I've been making turkeys about every 1-2 months for the past 10 years, give or take. I have no problems stuffing a turkey and still having moist turkey breast meat.
So

The Pilgrims cooked turkey before us too and they boiled them. So there. Na. Na.

Katipan 11-17-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121675)
Maybe you have some magical way of cooking stuffing inside a bird that heats the stuffing sufficiently to make it safe while not overcooking the breast, but most of use don't have that oven.

Yes you do. Start your turkey upside down.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 11121681)

I do that for part of the cooking. Never did it before RouxBe tho'. Got that from them too. And they say not to stuff the thing. My mother never taught me anything about cooking it turns out.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121675)

I have the ability to cook my turkey breast side down for a while. I'm reasonably certain you can do that in your oven.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Beat me to it.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

By the time the stuffing registers 165, the breast meat will usually be significantly higher (and thus, dry).

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:18 PM

Once it goes in the bag, how will I know which side is up?

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121694)
Beat me to it.

I did too.

I do that. Got that from those Heathens at RouxBe too. :evil:

Frosty 11-17-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121678)
That seems like a terrible waste of the best meat.

Until I came along, no one ever ate the dark meat (insert stupid sex joke here), so M-I-L put it in the stuffing so it wouldn't go to waste. :shake:

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11121679)
'Eh what? I can defend my post if I want.

So

The Pilgrims cooked turkey before us too and they boiled them. So there. Na. Na.

It's not about defending your post. You claim that there's more than one way to skin a cat, but the you go about saying you don't stuff the bird because of the problem with dry breast meat. Well, as you note....

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11121702)
Until I came along, no one ever ate the dark meat (insert stupid sex joke here), so M-I-L put it in the stuffing so it wouldn't go to waste. :shake:

:eek:

Katipan 11-17-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121696)
By the time the stuffing registers 165, the breast meat will usually be significantly higher (and thus, dry).

Nah, all the wonderful juices that pour into the breast meat from the dark meat for the first 3 hours fixes that.

Try it sometime. I'm a smart lady. So is BEP and JPB. Well, he's not a lady, but he's seen one up close.

Frosty 11-17-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121703)

Cat gets dry when you cook stuffing in it, too.

BucEyedPea 11-17-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

It's not about defending your post. You claim that there's more than one way to skin a cat, but the you go about saying you don't stuff the bird because of the problem with dry breast meat. Well, as you note....

No, I am only saying that's how I do it and why. Frankly, I don't mind or care how anyone else prefers it.

I responded to your "heathen" comment. Tho' I didn't take that term literally, and it seemed in jest partly, I thought I defend why and that is why. But they said it, not me. I just quoted them because well...they are the pros. It was never my idea to start with, I just got it from them but is why I do it that way now.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11121707)
Cat gets dry when you cook stuffing in it, too.

If you're eating pussy that's at 165 degrees, you're doing it wrong.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Well, whether you have one way that does it successfully doesn't change the fact that an ACF-certified cooking school, as well as a highly respected chef and general food nerd, recommends you DON'T stuff the bird.

So why don't you lay off her? Her opinion is substantiated. Just because you and some others disagree doesn't negate those facts.

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 11121706)
Nah, all the wonderful juices that pour into the breast meat from the dark meat for the first 3 hours fixes that.

Try it sometime. I'm a smart lady. So is BEP and JPB. Well, he's not a lady, but he's seen one up close.

ROFL LMAO

saphojunkie 11-17-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11121668)

I think the point is not whether the stuffing is good. Clearly, the stuffing should be great. I think the point is that the turkey isn't as good.

Then again, turkey is a horrible ****ing protein, and I have no idea why people eat that shit. If you have to soak something in salt water for two days just to have it not like eating a pair of levi's jeans, then it's not worth it.

Why Americans struggle every year through dry, flavorless poultry when literally any other preparation of pork is vastly superior is confounding to me.

Just Passin' By 11-17-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11121718)
Well, whether you have one way that does it successfully doesn't change the fact that an ACF-certified cooking school, as well as a highly respected chef and general food nerd, recommends you DON'T stuff the bird.

So why don't you lay off her? Her opinion is substantiated. Just because you and some others disagree doesn't negate those facts.

I have no problem cooking a bird that both has stuffing and moist breast meat, thus proving that the Alton claim is OPINION, not fact.

How don't you see the credibility issue with you pulling OPINION out of your ass to justify telling me not to give my OPINION in response to another's OPINION?

Fire Me Boy! 11-17-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 11121725)
I think the point is not whether the stuffing is good. Clearly, the stuffing should be great. I think the point is that the turkey isn't as good.

Then again, turkey is a horrible ****ing protein, and I have no idea why people eat that shit. If you have to soak something in salt water for two days just to have it not like eating a pair of levi's jeans, then it's not worth it.

Why Americans struggle every year through dry, flavorless poultry when literally any other preparation of pork is vastly superior is confounding to me.

Last year, I made a totally from scratch fresh pasta lasagna for Thanksgiving.