ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Find the Launch Codes! Alex Smith 6th Best QB Since Week 1! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287645)

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 12:32 PM

Find the Launch Codes! Alex Smith 6th Best QB Since Week 1!

After the terrible performance in week one Alex Smith has the sixth highest passer rating among all NFL QBs with at least 100 passes attempted. His line:

100 of 151 for 1068 yards for 8 TDs and 1 INT and a rating of 101.64.

The comeback win yesterday was a nice outlier that I hope he can duplicate when needed but when we're leading with the rush he's put up some pretty nice performances against the #2, #4, #5, #6, and #12 ranked defenses.

Chief Roundup 10-20-2014 12:35 PM

Oh shit.

TimBone 10-20-2014 12:36 PM

I have nothing Alex Smith, but we can't just throw out a week of stats to prove a point. How much would the stats of the other 32 starting qb's look if you threw out their worst game? Would Alex still be top six?

Pasta Little Brioni 10-20-2014 12:37 PM

I was told he couldn't beat a team with their starting QB and a winning record

ChiefsCountry 10-20-2014 12:37 PM

And ESPN's QBR rating has him #24.

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11033525)
I have nothing Alex Smith, but we can't just throw out a week of stats to prove a point. How much would the stats of the other 32 starting qb's look if you threw out their worst game? Would Alex still be top six?

Actually he would be 9th. But if you took out just the first week the only person who leapfrogs him is Andrew Luck.

Point is he's playing well enough to win - provided he doesn't have to come from behind in the 4th quarter or throw deep down the field. ;)

KCUnited 10-20-2014 12:38 PM

We were Super Bowl champs through week 9 last year!

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 11033530)

Well if you want to count every sack against the QB then it is a great metric to use.

Stupid metric is stupid.

ChiefsCountry 10-20-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 11033537)
Well if you want to count every sack against the QB then it is a great metric to use.

Stupid metric is stupid.

And QB rating is such a superior metric? ROFL

KChiefs1 10-20-2014 12:45 PM

Huh?

Eleazar 10-20-2014 12:46 PM

We were discussing in another thread that according to one estimate, 10% of his pass attempts result in drops.

I don't know if that is really true or not, but think what his completion percentage SHOULD be and how many drives we could be finishing, if those knuckleheads could just do what they are paid to do - which is catch the balls that hit them in the hands.

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 11033552)
And QB rating is such a superior metric? ROFL

Passer rating actually is -- ascribing all sacks to the QB is dumb.

ChiefsCountry 10-20-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 11033563)
We were discussing in another thread that according to one estimate, 10% of his pass attempts result in drops.

Its 6% and league average is 4.25%. Its not that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

ChiefsCountry 10-20-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 11033571)

Passing rating is a farce.

Kman34 10-20-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 11033530)

So......What.. QBR is a joke..

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 11033563)

I don't know if that is really true or not, but think what his completion percentage SHOULD be and how many drives we could be finishing, if those knuckleheads could just do what they are paid to do - which is catch the balls that hit them in the hands.

This too.

That aside Smith has sucked up one game (with an assist from Andy Reid forgetting we have Jamaal Charles), game managed himself to losses in two (with an assist from Andy), played OK in one, and very good in two.

Easy 6 10-20-2014 12:53 PM

Not spectacular, but steady as a rock... considering he was the best guy available not named Manning when we needed someone, I'll take it.

He's our best shot at winning consistently since Green... just like Trent, he's the perfect guy for a run heavy, play action offense as his days in Frisco will attest to. If only Reid would stick with that style once and for all.

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 12:59 PM

It looks like we're Super Bowl bound fellas.

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 01:01 PM

I mean shit that's 213 yards a game.

That's like...good for 27th in the NFL! HOLY SHIT!

In58men 10-20-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 11033529)

It only took him 20 games ROFL, now he's the best in the league? My god

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 11033529)

I am glad we have an elite QB now.

We should stop a mudhole in our next three opponents.

BRING ON THE BUG

TLO 10-20-2014 01:08 PM

Another Alex Smith thread to put on ignore!

bigjosh 10-20-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 11033518)
After the terrible performance in week one Alex Smith has the sixth highest passer rating among all NFL QBs with at least 100 passes attempted. His line:

100 of 151 for 1068 yards for 8 TDs and 1 INT and a rating of 101.64.

The comeback win yesterday was a nice outlier that I hope he can duplicate when needed but when we're leading with the rush he's put up some pretty nice performances against the #2, #4, #5, #6, and #12 ranked defenses.

So what you are saying is Alex smith in 5 games = Peyton manning in 2 games.

I am not an Alex smith hater, for the most part, but passer rating sucks ass as a stat.

I'm much more interested in my own visual perception of how this offense looks.

Even with our shit stack of receivers, I'm impressed with how the o has been killing time of possession and even the oline is starting to get their shit together.

BigMeatballDave 10-20-2014 01:37 PM

LMAO I love how any positive Smith news brings out the reerun in the haters.

Please continue to wallow in your own pity. It makes me feel good about myself.

Easy 6 10-20-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11033687)
LMAO I love how any positive Smith news brings out the reerun in the haters.

Please continue to wallow in your own pity. It makes me feel good about myself.

Yep, it really does give 'em the redass when he wins.

Oh wells, they aint harshing my buzz PBJ

MeatRock 10-20-2014 03:03 PM

TO THE TITANIC!!!

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11033917)
Yep, it really does give 'em the redass when he wins.

Oh wells, they aint harshing my buzz PBJ

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/fan_shot_ima...74/890e55P.gif

jonzie04 10-20-2014 03:09 PM

I like Alex but the numbers are skewed, he is in no way shape or form a top 5 qb. idk exactly how qbr works, but id guess percentage completed and tds vs ints play a huge role. and obviously alex excels in those areas as most of his throws have a high completion rate, and low risk of being picked.

O.city 10-20-2014 03:18 PM

We need more chunk plays.

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11033973)
We need more chunk plays.

213 ypg is good enough

Sorter 10-20-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11033973)
We need more Brad Pitt

Fixed

Chief Roundup 10-20-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11033998)
Fixed

Fury was a good movie.

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 03:38 PM

I am glad we are beating teams with winning records.

That is a really good sign of the team as a whole.

This is a young team....I don't have confidence in Alex to consistently go into places and win on the road yet, but this is a good step.

Personally I still stand by my opinion that we will never win a playoff game with him at the helm...but I could be wrong.

I would much rather take my chances with a different QB, but who? He is probably the only decent option we had....

I would have loved to see this team grow and develop with a rookie , up and coming QB ...I think that couldve been pretty special...

But maybe that will happen in the next couple years. I just feel like I have seen this movie play out before...

On the poitive note, I love kicking the shit out of the chargers and I love the smash mouth style of ball we played yesterday.

That was one of the most enjoyable games Ive watched in a while.

Saccopoo 10-20-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034037)

This is a young team....I don't have confidence in Alex to consistently go into places and win on the road yet, but this is a good step.

Personally I still stand by my opinion that we will never win a playoff game with him at the helm...but I could be wrong.

I would much rather take my chances with a different QB, but who? He is probably the only decent option we had....

I would have loved to see this team grow and develop with a rookie , up and coming QB ...I think that couldve been pretty special...

But maybe that will happen in the next couple years. I just feel like I have seen this movie play out before...

On the poitive note, I love kicking the shit out of the chargers and I love the smash mouth style of ball we played yesterday.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-I-6n-0WZQo...rt+Waffles.jpg

Baby Lee 10-20-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034037)

Good think we have 6 of 10 remaining at home, and 3 of the 4 on the road against lesser opponents.

ThaVirus 10-20-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11034059)
Good think we have 6 of 10 remaining at home, and 3 of the 4 on the road against lesser opponents.

Are you a believer, Baby Lee?

dls6501 10-20-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 11033571)

And weighing all statistics the same regardless of time of game and score isnt dumb?

Bottom line, passer rating and QBR both have positives and negatives. Regardless, they are both simply different metrics to judge a particular performance by the QB.

Neither is dumb.

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11034059)

Agreed & we could very well be 5-3 after the next two games

and if we string together some road wins and beat the teams we should beat , we may very well win a wild card.

So that leaves us ...what?

Playing away games every game in the playoffs?

Which divisional winners will we beat , on the road, in January?

I mean I agree with your assessment, the schedule is looking favorable at this point for a POSSIBLE wild card....if things fall a certain way...

My only point is, so what?

Baby Lee 10-20-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11034077)
Are you a believer, Baby Lee?

I've laid out my position in detail before. In most basic terms, I fully expect this team to be all over the place. Their injuries have disappointed me [not in a sense of fault placing, unless something comes to light over the rash of Achilles ijuries], but their fight has impressed me.

They're about as solid as I could have hoped coming into the season, moreso given the injuries to stars. But I'm not beyond being prepared for a bed-shitting or two, and fully expect at least one more ass-kicking [though I hope against hope it's not against 5head].

OnTheWarpath15 10-20-2014 04:20 PM

I love when people use stats - much less cherry pick a specific stat- apparently knowing nothing about the "guts" of the statistics itself, and then try to "win" an argument using it.

Passer rating might be the single most ridiculous stat kept in the four major professional sports.

Complete passes and don't turn the ball over and it considers you the love child of Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas.

A QB with a game rating of 124.5 had a great day, right?

Completed 78% and threw for 2 TD's and no INT's.

Phenomenal day.

Until you watch the game, and see that he only completed 14 passes for 90 yards and his team lost by 20. (before you accuse me of a hypothetical, this is an actual stat line)

Passer rating is pointless. And please, would one of you who think passer rating is a perfectly acceptable way to judge a QB, yet thinks ESPN's QBR is skewed, explain why.

Rausch 10-20-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034115)

Right now the Steelers or Bengals look very beatable. They could win or lose to anyone any week.

I seriously doubt we could beat any division winner come playoff time...

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11034156)
Right now the Steelers or Bengals look very beatable. They could win or lose to anyone any week.

I seriously doubt we could beat any division winner come playoff time...

I agree, which is why it is unfortunate that if you are a wildcard winner, you are guaranteed to play at least 2 divisional winners, on the road.....and most likely 3.

I dont see us beating ONE let alone 3.

Sandy Vagina 10-20-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034115)
Agreed & we could very well be 5-3 after the next two games

and if we string together some road wins and beat the teams we should beat , we may very well win a wild card.

I mean I agree with your assessment, the schedule is looking favorable at this point for a POSSIBLE wild card....if things fall a certain way...

My only point is, so what?

So how bout just enjoy the ride? What inevitably happens is out of our control.. so enjoy what you can out of the season. Another one and done? Oh ****ing well... at least there was some good with the bad. There will be 30 other teams dealing with disappointment.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-20-2014 04:34 PM

When the Kool Aid man decides to run the ball the team wins. Imagine that.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-20-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11033612)

BRING ON THE BUG

Take care of the ball and rush the passer and you win games. I told you that before the season. People picking 4 or 5 games were nuts. You going to make a video of that tasty meal?

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 11034186)
So how bout just enjoy the ride? What inevitably happens is out of our control.. so enjoy what you can out of the season. Another one and done? Oh ****ing well... at least there was some good with the bad. There will be 30 other teams dealing with disappointment.

Right, I know..thats the same thing Ive been hearing my entire life...

Sorry for the fact that I would like more.

SOrry for the fact that I would like to win a playoff game, and break that nasty streak.

Sorry I wont sit back and enjoy anal rape , like you do ,just because you have a crush on Alex Smith...

I would actually like to experience a playoff win...If you actually bothered to read my post instead of bleeding out of your hymen, you would see I think we are going in a good direction....as a team.

I will sit back and watch, and analyze whats going on...but unless there is actually a 'ride' that goes somewhere...I can't really enjoy it..since I have been there so many times.

Someone like you who isn't a chiefs fan, probably does not understand this..You only care about defending smith.

Me , I'd like to see us start by winning a playoff game and then string together just a few seasons of going deep in the playoffs.

Is that asking too much or should I not ask and shut shut up and enjoy the same thing year after year since 1993?

Sandy Vagina 10-20-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034225)

Someone like who who isn't a chiefs fan, probably does not understand this..You only care about defending smith.

I only care about my enjoyment of the season... and I will enjoy it. You could too, if you would stop being a huge pussy and just accept that (a) you do care.. no matter how much you try to distance your feelings.. and (b) what's in the past is in the past.. you can't control now and you couldn't control then.

You have two choices... have fun with the positives of the season... or be a crybaby bitch and pretend that you can distance yourself when you know you can't.

I don't give a **** which way you go in this. I will enjoy mine. :)

Baby Lee 10-20-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034225)
Right, I know..thats the same thing Ive been hearing my entire life...

Sorry for the fact that I would like more.

SOrry for the fact that I would like to win a playoff game, and break that nasty streak.

Sorry I wont sit back and enjoy anal rape , like you do ,just because you have a crush on Alex Smith...

I would actually like to experience a playoff win...If you actually bothered to read my post instead of bleeding out of your hymen, you would see I think we are going in a good direction....as a team.

I will sit back and watch, and analyze whats going on...but unless there is actually a 'ride' that goes somewhere...I can't really enjoy it..since I have been there so many times.

Someone like you who isn't a chiefs fan, probably does not understand this..You only care about defending smith.

Me , I'd like to see us start by winning a playoff game and then string together just a few seasons of going deep in the playoffs.

Is that asking too much or should I not ask and shut shut up and enjoy the same thing year after year since 1993?

Apology accepted for your utter asshattery in the Castle era.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-20-2014 04:48 PM

Name one on the new cowards list...

Pawn mower :)

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 11034238)
Name one on the new cowards list...

Pawn mower :)

now hold on there

I will never and have never actively rooted for the chiefs to lose a ball game

come on, be honest or at least fair to me

I never put anyone on the cowards list for saying anything remotely what I said just now...The people I had a problem with were people who WANTED the chiefs to lose ....not people who thought cassel was a mistake.

Re Read that thread if you doubt me.

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11034237)
Apology accepted for your utter asshattery in the Castle era.

I do not apologize for anything, other than one simple thing:

I held on too long (by about 6-8 weeks?) to the false hope that cassel would acually get better...

I disagree that I did anything 'utterly asshat' like root for us to lose, or what not...

I'd like you to find a few 'utter asshat' statements I made about cassel....then post them up to prove your statement.

I truly think you might be surprised.....

My opinion of smith is really similar to cassel...I'm not calling for smith's head on a platter or calling for us to start one of our backups.....

I'm willing to hang on...I just have a feeling I know where this is headed.....especially having just been through it with Cassel (my lover)

BigMeatballDave 10-20-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

BRING ON THE BUG

LOL

rabblerouser 10-20-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11033525)

Oooooh....

:popcorn:

jd1020 10-20-2014 05:16 PM

It is time to exorcise the demons and rid CP of all the Alex haters, this man is the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11034276)
LOL

enjoy that typo, it's as meaningful as games won with smitty

Sandy Vagina 10-20-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11034294)
enjoy that typo, it's as meaningful as games won with smitty

be honest.. were you at all excited about the KC win yesterday? Any sense of appreciation in what they did?

Baby Lee 10-20-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11034260)
I do not apologize for anything, other than one simple thing:

I held on too long (by about 6-8 weeks?) to the false hope that cassel would acually get better...

I disagree that I did anything 'utterly asshat' like root for us to lose, or what not...

I'd like you to find a few 'utter asshat' statements I made about cassel....then post them up to prove your statement.

I truly think you might be surprised.....

My opinion of smith is really similar to cassel...I'm not calling for smith's head on a platter or calling for us to start one of our backups.....

I'm willing to hang on...I just have a feeling I know where this is headed.....especially having just been through it with Cassel (my lover)

You weren't arguing with the 'root to lose' crowd, you were arguing with anyone who said anything critical of Castle.

Generally, the sum and substance of your arguments was an endless string of these kind of posts, usually in the game thread, where things were moving too quick to deal an entire game with the 100s of irrelevant images you spammed it with.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/2813...reerun-o-s.gif

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 11034295)
be honest.. were you at all excited about the KC win yesterday? Any sense of appreciation in what they did?

I find it hard to get excited about regular season wins anymore, when I know there is no real hope for this team.

The Chiefs are the TGI Fridays of the NFL. I hate chain restaurants.

BigMeatballDave 10-20-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11034354)
I find it hard to get excited about regular season wins anymore, when I know there is no real hope for this team.

The Chiefs are the TGI Fridays of the NFL. I hate chain restaurants.

Can you imagine if players shared this philosophy? LMAO

Baby Lee 10-20-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11034387)
Can you imagine if players shared this philosophy? LMAO

They might end up instagramming their gay days.

RINGLEADER 10-20-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dls6501 (Post 11034107)
And weighing all statistics the same regardless of time of game and score isnt dumb?

Bottom line, passer rating and QBR both have positives and negatives. Regardless, they are both simply different metrics to judge a particular performance by the QB.

Neither is dumb.

Not what I said, but OK.

DTLB58 10-20-2014 07:09 PM

My beef with Alex is there are still WR's open down field that he isn't even throwing to. Example on the second to the last drive yesterday on third down he had I think it was Jenkins open deep in the middle of the field at about the 5 yard line with the DB trailing. Just throw it ahead of him, there was no safety help, if you are off nobody catches it but AJ. Take the chance. Also, on the same play, I think it was Sherman was curling to the sideline at least 20 yards down field wide open also. What's AS do? He threw it away over Kelce's head out of bounds.
Also, when the rush is around him, he just tucks the ball and immediately takes the sack. He plays scared. Reminds me of Bob Greiese. So many other QB's stand tall, keep their eyes down field, throws the ball and take the big hit but complete the pass.

Yes, the Chiefs receivers suck. But right now the leader of the team, the QB, isn't giving his all either. There is room, lots of room for improvement.

Why the heck wasn't Kelce more in the game plan yesterday? Instead of Hemmingway in the slot dropping passes, Kelce could easily take that spot.

BigMeatballDave 10-20-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 11034619)
My beef with Alex is there are still WR's open down field that he isn't even throwing to. Example on the second to the last drive yesterday on third down he had I think it was Jenkins open deep in the middle of the field at about the 5 yard line with the DB trailing. Just throw it ahead of him, there was no safety help, if you are off nobody catches it but AJ. Take the chance. Also, on the same play, I think it was Sherman was curling to the sideline at least 20 yards down field wide open also. What's AS do? He threw it away over Kelce's head out of bounds.
Also, when the rush is around him, he just tucks the ball and immediately takes the sack. He plays scared. Reminds me of Bob Greiese. So many other QB's stand tall, keep their eyes down field, throws the ball and take the big hit but complete the pass.

Yes, the Chiefs receivers suck. But right now the leader of the team, the QB, isn't giving his all either. There is room, lots of room for improvement.

Why the heck wasn't Kelce more in the game plan yesterday? Instead of Hemmingway in the slot dropping passes, Kelce could easily take that spot.

Pics?

DTLB58 10-20-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11033536)
We were Super Bowl champs through week 9 last year!

And right now, this D is better than last year's IMO.
No, they aren't getting the turnovers last year's squad did but they are a lot better fundamentally sound. Covering, tackling, not blowing assignments, giving up big plays. And Berry and DJ are a big part of that.
Berry is not good in coverage and DJ the second half of last year and this year was missing a lot of tackles. Big decisions to be made going forward.

Sorter 10-20-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 11034619)
Also, when the rush is around him, he just tucks the ball and immediately takes the sack.
He plays scared. Reminds me of Bob Greiese. So many other QB's stand tall, keep their eyes down field, throws the ball and take the big hit but complete the pass.

What's frustrating is that there are times where Alex does the opposite and makes great plays.

I'm hoping that over the 2nd half of the season, there's improvement.

O.city 10-20-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11034648)
What's frustrating is that there are times where Alex does the opposite and makes great plays.

Do you remember the play he's talking about?

Sorter 10-20-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11034649)
Do you remember the play he's talking about?

I don't but I'll probably be re-watching the game after the Royals tomorrow.

DTLB58 10-20-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11034634)
Pics?

I don't have them nor am I one of those guys that can imbed them.
But when that play happened Solomon Wilcox pointed it out on the replay and still footage quickly before the next play. I'm sure anyone else here that watched the game remembers it. He pointed out the deep receiver, I noticed the middle guy open.

Marcellus 10-20-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 11034145)
I love when people use stats - much less cherry pick a specific stat- apparently knowing nothing about the "guts" of the statistics itself, and then try to "win" an argument using it.

Passer rating might be the single most ridiculous stat kept in the four major professional sports.

Complete passes and don't turn the ball over and it considers you the love child of Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Johnny Unitas.

A QB with a game rating of 124.5 had a great day, right?

Completed 78% and threw for 2 TD's and no INT's.

Phenomenal day.

Until you watch the game, and see that he only completed 14 passes for 90 yards and his team lost by 20. (before you accuse me of a hypothetical, this is an actual stat line)

Passer rating is pointless. And please, would one of you who think passer rating is a perfectly acceptable way to judge a QB, yet thinks ESPN's QBR is skewed, explain why.

QBR & Passer Rating both have their flaws.

Its kind of like looking at drops and saying we only drop 2 passes a game no biggie while ignoring that the drops drops seem to always come on 3rd down and killed drives when a catch would have meant a 1st down, a large gain, or possibly a score. A drop on 1st or 2nd down really isn't equal to a drop on 3rd down and 5 or a drop on a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 20.

You have to look at the whole picture and while Smith isn't really a top 5 QB he is pretty damn good at "his" game which has resulted in way more wins than losses for 3 seasons now.

O.city 10-20-2014 07:30 PM

If he will just start taking some deep aggressive shots downfield, "his" game will be one that can take us somewhere

OnTheWarpath15 10-20-2014 07:31 PM

I've pointed out the significant flaws in the passer rating stat.

You're like the third guy to claim the QBR stat is flawed, but hasn't bothered to give your opinion why.

Ming the Merciless 10-20-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11034326)
You weren't arguing with the 'root to lose' crowd, you were arguing with anyone who said anything critical of Castle.

Generally, the sum and substance of your arguments was an endless string of these kind of posts, usually in the game thread, where things were moving too quick to deal an entire game with the 100s of irrelevant images you spammed it with.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/2813...reerun-o-s.gif

You're a liar and a troll and I never spammed anything. All you ever point to is some game thread you got butthurt in once. Put up or **** off: link to my cassel spam or utter asshat Cassel posts, or **** off.

DTLB58 10-20-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11034648)

Usually it's with his feet.

I remember training camp interviews with Doug Pedersen were he said he was really encouraging Alex to throw the ball down field more this season.
We have to be the team in the NFL that has the least amount of downfield penalties thrown against our opponents for D holding/interference ect. Cause we never throw the ball that far. That's how the Chargers went 80 yards in 39 seconds. Completions and penalties. These days it's a 50-50 shot.
I truly think AS got gun shy after he threw 3 picks in the opener against the Titans.

Marcellus 10-20-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 11034706)
I've pointed out the significant flaws in the passer rating stat.

You're like the third guy to claim the QBR stat is flawed, but hasn't bothered to give your opinion why.

Because it is actually more subjective than the Passer Rating system. Its driven by ESPN who can use "their" analysis to drive whatever scores they want up and down, kind of like CP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Quarterback_Rating

Quote:

Unlike the NFL passer rating, ESPN has not yet been forthcoming on the exact specific formulas and procedures to calculate QBR.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[5]</sup> The proprietary, complex methodology spans some 10,000 lines of code.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[6]</sup> In an interview with San Diego's XX Sports Radio, San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers seemed baffled by the ratings, which put him ninth overall in its metrics for the 2010 season, saying "I still don't get it. I think it's more complicated now".<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[7]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[8]</sup>
In an op-ed piece published by Deadspin, they opine that the clutch index component of the QBR "looks like a weirdly applied version of baseball's leverage metric and which, tellingly, is the sort of mindless branding you get when the network of 'Who's Now' starts dicking around with numbers.".<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference">[9]</sup> And The Baltimore Sun's Matt Vensel wrote, "I can’t say the new rating system ... is any better. And that's because I don’t really understand or care to understand how Total Quarterback Rating works".<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference">[10]</sup>
Michael David Smith of Profootballtalk.com explained the major drawback of QBR:<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[11]</sup>
<table class="cquote" role="presentation" style="margin:auto; border-collapse: collapse; border: none; background-color: transparent; width: auto;"><tbody><tr> <td style="width: 20px; vertical-align: top; border: none; color: #B2B7F2; font-size: 40px; font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-weight: bold; line-height: .6em; text-align: left; padding: 10px 10px;">“</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; border: none; padding: 4px 10px;">One of the aspects of Total QBR that could be both a strength and a drawback is that it considers data that the average fan doesn’t have access to, like how far a pass travels in the air, and whether the quarterback was under pressure when he threw it ... it means fans can't see for themselves exactly where Total QBR comes from — fans just have to trust that the distance the ball traveled was correctly measured, and how much pressure the quarterback felt on the play was correctly assessed ... If ESPN is committed to this stat and is able to clearly and concisely explain it on the Worldwide Leader’s NFL broadcasts, then fans will quickly become familiar with it and it will soon become a staple of how we talk about quarterbacks. On the other hand, if the stat comes across as too convoluted — or if it doesn’t really seem like much of an improvement on the current passer rating — then this will all feel like a rather pointless exercise.</td> <td style="width: 20px; vertical-align: bottom; border: none; color: #B2B7F2; font-size: 40px; font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-weight: bold; line-height: .6em; text-align: right; padding: 10px 10px;">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Simplicity 10-20-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

BRING ON THE BUG

Do you ever wonder what it's like? Playing football? I mean just by the way you post and go about things, it seems like you've never got to experience playing the game of football and I'm sorry for that.

Hammock Parties 10-20-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 11034741)
Do you ever wonder what it's like? Playing football? I mean just by the way you post and go about things, it seems like you've never got to experience playing the game of football and I'm sorry for that.

I've played football before.

Marcellus 10-20-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11034743)

On Madden.

BigMeatballDave 10-20-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 11034692)
I don't have them nor am I one of those guys that can imbed them.
But when that play happened Solomon Wilcox pointed it out on the replay and still footage quickly before the next play. I'm sure anyone else here that watched the game remembers it. He pointed out the deep receiver, I noticed the middle guy open.

I don't remember that and this is the first I've seen anyone mention anything about it.

Simplicity 10-20-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11034743)

Oh, mother buy you madden for your birthday?

O.city 10-20-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11034747)
I don't remember that and this is the first I've seen anyone mention anything about it.

It's been brought up multiple threads today