ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Should the NFL overtime rules be changed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286764)

Deberg_1990 09-21-2014 08:30 PM

Should the NFL overtime rules be changed?

Forehead did not seem pleased.....

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawk...post22xml.html

The winner of a classic football game should never be determined by pure, dumb luck.
Unlike the Super Bowl, the only difference Sunday between the Broncos and Seattle was a flip of the coin. “We felt like we were the better team,” Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton said.

Not to take anything away from the Seahawks’ 26-20 overtime victory against Denver, but if there’s anything we’ve learned from the NFL of late, it’s this: What’s fair got to do with anything in this league? And the more the rules change, the less we trust that justice is truly being served.

After Denver rallied from a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter on the road in the NFL’s rowdiest stadium, the silence of stunned Seahawks fans was deafening as quarterback Peyton Manning represented the Broncos on the coin flip to determine which team would get the football to begin overtime.
Manning called tails.
The Seahawks won.
NFL overtime rules are stupid.

“It puts a premium on the coin toss,” Manning said. “I called tails at the beginning of the game, and went with it again in overtime. It was heads, and it proved to be a significant call. But that’s the way it is. And you’d like to not leave it to that, leave it to get to that situation.”
Manning was forced to stand and watch as Seattle marched 80 yards for a touchdown on the opening possession of overtime. No doubt, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was fantastic on the game-winning drive. When a fierce 6-yard run by Marshawn Lynch gave sudden death to Denver’s remarkable comeback, Broncos linebacker Nate Irving and his defensive teammates were so emotionally stunned their feet no longer seemed to work. They stood near the goal line, nobody wanting to go home.
Did this qualify as a moral victory after the 43-8 blowout in the Super Bowl? Knighton certainly didn’t want a juice box and a condescending pat on the head. “You either win or you lose ... We’re not saying, ‘At least the score is better than the Super Bowl’ or anything like that,” Knighton insisted.

Manning has become known in Denver, thanks to imaginative T-shirt makers and excitable fans, as PFM. Maybe I’ve finally figured out what those three letters mean: Pray for miracles.
In the hands of Manning, miracles happen.
While the NFL’s most beautiful mind was stumped by the Seahawks for the vast majority of four quarters and Denver’s offensive game plan appeared so simplistic you might have wondered if it had been written in crayon, Manning willed the Broncos 80 yards in the final 59 seconds of the fourth quarter to tie the game, despite the hindrance of no timeouts to stop the clock.

Manning hit a wide-open Jacob Tamme with a 26-yard pass for the touchdown, then found Demaryius Thomas against Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman to convert the essential two points after the TD.
Prayer answered.

“That’s what makes him Peyton Manning,” said Wilson, with obvious respect for one of the NFL’s elder statesmen. “That’s what makes him one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game.”

Then, however, Manning was forced to sit and watch overtime. Maybe NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should have bought Manning a pretzel and beer. In 2012, the league amended its overtime rules to allow each team to possess the ball at least once in the extra period, unless a touchdown is scored on the opening drive by the lucky bums who win the coin flip.
That’s stupid. Let’s simplify the rules: If the teams have fought into an overtime, haven’t both teams earned the right to touch the football at least once?

Yes, Tim Tebow gave Denver fans one of the biggest playoff thrills in franchise history by beating Pittsburgh in overtime on an 80-yard bolt from the blue.
But has Hollywood ever required Denzel Washington or Harrison Ford to sit out the last reel when things got dicey and the audience prayed for a miracle from the movie’s hero?
“We’re not going to change the rules,” said Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. “But I would’ve liked our chances if we got our ‘O’ back out there.”
Fade to black.

TimBone 09-21-2014 08:32 PM

I thought the last time they changed it was because this happened to him...or maybe it was Favre. Can't remember.

tk13 09-21-2014 08:32 PM

Here's an idea, play defense. But we wouldn't want to do that.

Hoover 09-21-2014 08:34 PM

No! I liked how that played out. You hold them to a FG you have a chance to win. They shove it down their throat, you win.

Awesome end of that game.

GoChargers 09-21-2014 08:34 PM

No, Fivehead should just stop being a choking pussy and their defense shouldn't have shat the bed. That holding-aided last drive in regulation doesn't erase all the ducks Fivehead threw or that interception.

I'm sure Goodell will change the rule, though, because he loves the cheating Donks.

jd1020 09-21-2014 08:35 PM

I honestly don't know why they can't play a shortened period with none of this sudden death shit.

MMXcalibur 09-21-2014 08:35 PM

What?

No. Absolutely not. The current overtime rules are perfect.

milkman 09-21-2014 08:36 PM

Did you not see?

Peyton Manning didn't get to touch the ball.

They have to change the rules for the Golden Boy.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 08:39 PM

The Broncos lost, right? Don't change a thing.

milkman 09-21-2014 08:40 PM

So, one team scores a TD, then the other team scores a TD.

Do you go to sudden death then, or do you still keep giving chances?

But Peyton didn't get the ball, so that's going to fuel change.

notorious 09-21-2014 08:44 PM

They are crying a ****ing river at the Mange right now over this.

Nobody was bitching when Tebow bombed Thomas in OT against Pitt a few years ago.

siberian khatru 09-21-2014 08:45 PM

Surprised the NFL didn't change the rule right after Lynch scored.

notorious 09-21-2014 08:46 PM

It was dumb luck that Seattle fist-raped the Donks on the 80 yard drive?

ROFL

The_Hound 09-21-2014 08:48 PM

Is that five-head manning crying? LOL

TribalElder 09-21-2014 08:50 PM

Do it like college or **** off with the changes

milkman 09-21-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10937717)
Do it like college or **** off with the changes

Oh, Hell No!

The college rules suck.

alnorth 09-21-2014 08:51 PM

No. The OT rules did need to be changed when a FG could win, but this is not a Field Goal. If you can't stop a TD, then you should lose.

The current NFL OT rules are perfect. If anything, college should change to the NFL OT rules.

CanadianChiefs 09-21-2014 08:54 PM

Imo it should be changed.

One possesion guaranteed. You can match the touchdown, but after that, a FG can win it. Defensive TD or safety still end the game immediately though. I think it would lead to some amazing, fair endings, if a team knows they have to get in the endzone to tie.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 08:57 PM

I wouldn't mind a change where they put the ball at midfield, put all 53 players onto the field from both teams, and there's only one rule. Whoever puts the ball across the other team's goal line wins. It may take a few days to have a winner, but it would be very entertaining.

listopencil 09-21-2014 08:57 PM

"No doubt, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was fantastic on the game-winning drive."

/end

milkman 09-21-2014 08:58 PM

I'd rather they had never introduced OT in regular season games.

aturnis 09-21-2014 08:59 PM

They've already been changed. Want your shit, hold them to a field goal.

alnorth 09-21-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChiefs (Post 10937735)
Imo it should be changed.

One possesion guaranteed. You can match the touchdown, but after that, a FG can win it. Defensive TD or safety still end the game immediately though. I think it would lead to some amazing, fair endings, if a team knows they have to get in the endzone to tie.

Why are both teams entitled to a possession? They played 4 full quarters and had plenty of chances to score again. This is a tie where neither team is really entitled to a win, and we just need a reasonable way to break the tie.

It seemed cheap when a coinflip-FG could win it, but if you can't stop a TD, then thats good enough for me to declare a winner.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:00 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Goodell was considering switching overtime to a punt, pass, and kick contest.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:00 PM

You should be able to win with a field goal, so long as the other team has a chance to play offense at least once.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:01 PM

I'm definitely against using the college rules in the pros. I think the players are too good. Imagine the first time you had a 69-63 six OT game. At least what they do now is exactly what they do during the actual regulation period.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:02 PM

You could also put both offenses and both defenses out on the field simultaneously. Two balls, two kickoffs, and the first team that scores wins.

That would actually be really interesting to watch.

Bambi 09-21-2014 09:02 PM

Denver should have won that game. Either call it a tie at the end of regulation or let both teams have the ball.

What I saw this afternoon was a travesty.

Why Not? 09-21-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937757)
I'm definitely against using the college rules in the pros. I think the players are too good. Imagine the first time you had a 69-63 six OT game. At least what they do now is exactly what they do during the actual regulation period.

This is exactly why the NFL would never adopt the NCAA rule.

Bambi 09-21-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937757)

That doesn't happen so much anymore as now you have to go for TDs after like the 2nd round or something.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10937760)
Denver should have won that game. Either call it a tie at the end of regulation or let both teams have the ball.

Why?!?!?

The OT rules are not brand-new.

There is nothing wrong with the OT rules, Denver did NOT deserve a possession, it was NOT a travesty, and Seattle won the game.

milkman 09-21-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

No Denver should not have won that game.

Travesty?

LMAO

Bitch.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:07 PM

Maybe we could leave the overtime rules the way they are, but the coaches and players switch roles. It would be cool to see Emmitt Thomas play cornerback again.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10937763)
This is exactly why the NFL would never adopt the NCAA rule.

Although the way the NFL is trending, maybe that's what they want.

Seriously though... a side effect of going to college OT rules would be the destruction of fantasy football. Imagine the first time some dude lost a thousand bucks because his defense allowed 42 points in a double OT game.

BigCatDaddy 09-21-2014 09:08 PM

How about each teams kicker kicks 5 field goals from the 50 and whoever makes the most wins? Great idea, huh huh?

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937768)
Why?!?!?

The OT rules are not brand-new.

There is nothing wrong with the OT rules, Denver did NOT deserve a possession, it was NOT a travesty, and Seattle won the game.

So if this rule ever fires back on the Chiefs, at home, in a playoff loss, I'll be sure to say "We did NOT deserve a possession!"

tk13 09-21-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10937766)
That doesn't happen so much anymore as now you have to go for TDs after like the 2nd round or something.

No, you have to go for a 2 point conversion starting with the 3rd OT. You can kick FGs on any possession. That's always been the case.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:10 PM

I just looked. Seattle had 10 drives in regulation. Out of those 10 drives, Denver's defense was able to prevent a touchdown 8 times.

We're not talking about an impossible task here. Under the old rules, the coinflip-FG was annoying, but a coinflip-TD should not be something we should be worried about.

If Denver's defense fails to do something they did 8 out of 10 times, they deserve to lose without a possession.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937778)
So if this rule ever fires back on the Chiefs, at home, in a playoff loss, I'll be sure to say "We did NOT deserve a possession!"

If you let someone ram it down your throat with the game on the line, then no, you don't. Losing by a FG could be considered cheap, but not a TD.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:11 PM

yeah, **** those whiners. who cares? It's a coin toss, now get out there and stop them.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

We can't make rules based on what happened to your own team recently.

Touchdowns are not so incredibly damned hard to stop that we need to expect that the poor overmatched defense is incapable of preventing it. The current OT rules are objectively fine as they are, regardless of who they help or hurt next week or any week.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937786)
If you let someone ram it down your throat with the game on the line, then no, you don't. Losing by a FG could be considered cheap, but not a TD.

Technically that is exactly what the Broncos did to the Seahawks right before they went into overtime. So...

CanadianChiefs 09-21-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937749)
Why are both teams entitled to a possession? They played 4 full quarters and had plenty of chances to score again. This is a tie where neither team is really entitled to a win, and we just need a reasonable way to break the tie.

It seemed cheap when a coinflip-FG could win it, but if you can't stop a TD, then thats good enough for me to declare a winner.

True, but sometimes both defenses are terrible, so the team that wins the toss has a better chance to win.

mdstu 09-21-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

How long have you been watching football?

In the not so distant past the Seahawks would have started centering the ball on the field around the 30 yard line for a field goal.

You sound like a sniveling child.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Are u ever right? Turd.

tk13 09-21-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937802)
Technically that is exactly what the Broncos did to the Seahawks right before they went to overtime. So...

What does this even mean? Yeah they did, and they had to go to OT because of it. The Seahawks paid the price for their poor play. As did the Broncos.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 09-21-2014 09:21 PM

Play two, 6-minute quarters with a 25-second playclock. Each team gets to start with the ball first. Solved.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianChiefs (Post 10937803)
True, but sometimes both defenses are terrible, so the team that wins the toss has a better chance to win.

I'm not interested in going out of our way with a longer OT to make the coin toss meaningless. It used to be a huge advantage to win. Now its only a small advantage, thats good enough for me.

mdstu 09-21-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

If this happens I will agree with you.
We would not deserve to win or touch the ball.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937795)
We can't make rules based on what happened to your own team recently.

Touchdowns are not so incredibly damned hard to stop that we need to expect that the poor overmatched defense is incapable of preventing it. The current OT rules are objectively fine as they are, regardless of who they help or hurt next week or any week.

Looking at this objectively the fact remains getting the ball first is still an advantage. An advantage gained through nothing but pure luck via coin toss.

GoChargers 09-21-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937802)
Technically that is exactly what the Broncos did to the Seahawks right before they went into overtime. So...

Cool. Maybe Fivehead shouldn't have waited until the last drive of regulation to stop throwing ducks (blatant uncalled holding by his O-line notwithstanding).

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10937813)
What does this even mean? Yeah they did, and they had to go to OT because of it. The Seahawks paid the price for their poor play. As did the Broncos.

Your argument was if you can ram it down the oppositions throat and score a touchdown while the game is on the line, you deserve another possession.

I'm saying the Broncos technically did just that.

alnorth 09-21-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937840)
Looking at this objectively the fact remains getting the ball first is still an advantage. An advantage gained through nothing but pure luck via coin toss.

Do you want the coin toss to be COMPLETELY meaningless?

That is basically impossible. So right away, you'd have to concede that you aren't looking for it to be meaningless, but just a small advantage. How small is small enough to be acceptable?

I believe the coinflip-FG under the old rules made the winner have an unnacceptably-large advantage, but the coin-flip TD and the new rules have dramatically reduced the advantage to the point where its acceptably-small.

Longer OT is not free, there is a cost to having more possessions. We ideally want to keep the game to 4 quarters, but we don't like ties, so we had sudden-death OT. We hated coin-flip FG so much that we extended OT just a little more to get rid of them.

The goal is not to make OT as fair as possible, if you are in OT, you don't deserve completely-fair. The goal is to keep OT short enough that we can live with the results.

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937840)

It's not an advantage if the other team's defense is stronger than your offense, or if your defense is stronger than the other team's offense.

Granted, though, that the modern rules give offenses all sorts of advantages over defenses, so that's a factor.

RealSNR 09-21-2014 09:34 PM

Get raped, Manning. We got ****ed even worse during the Vermeil years when teams would win the toss, kick a field goal, and call it good. You at least get to make them score a TD.

Quit yer bitchin and yell at your teammates on defense if it pisses you off that bad.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:34 PM

Denver was lucky to even go to overtime. Don't get shit pushed in on defense and jug head would a had a shot

Rain Man 09-21-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10937879)
Get raped, Manning. We got ****ed even worse during the Vermeil years when teams would win the toss, kick a field goal, and call it good. You at least get to make them score a TD.

Quit yer bitchin and yell at your teammates on defense if it pisses you off that bad.

We held teams to field goals in those years? I didn't remember that.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 10937841)
Cool. Maybe Fivehead shouldn't have waited until the last drive of regulation to stop throwing ducks (blatant uncalled holding by his O-line notwithstanding).

you saw that too? that ****er lives off ref calls and now whines about a coin toss? he should've called tails, what a ****er.

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10937868)
Do you want the coin toss to be COMPLETELY meaningless?

Yes, there's absolutely no reason a coin toss should have such a large impact on the game.

Quote:

The goal is not to make OT as fair as possible, if you are in OT, you don't deserve completely-fair. The goal is to keep OT short enough that we can live with the results.
I guess we can agree to disagree then.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:36 PM

Most importantly the better team won. Holy shit sooooo many ducks.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-21-2014 09:36 PM

Again the BETTER TEAM WON

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 10937888)
Again the BETTER TEAM WON

agreed

kcpasco 09-21-2014 09:39 PM

Goodell will change the rules so both teams get 1 possession unless the first TD is from a Manning.

OldSchool 09-21-2014 09:43 PM

Hilarious. I bet that they change the rules during this coming off-season just to coddle Manning some more. Don't want the game to be decided by a "lucky flip" in overtime? Then win the ****ing game in regulation.

Demonpenz 09-21-2014 09:44 PM

the over and under has to be somewhat managable to vegas

Iconic 09-21-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10937874)
It's not an advantage if the other team's defense is stronger than your offense, or if your defense is stronger than the other team's offense.

Granted, though, that the modern rules give offenses all sorts of advantages over defenses, so that's a factor.

Yes, and the easiest way to nullify these advantages is to simply have two possessions.

I just don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over adding one extra possession. It's like I'm advocating genocide over here, what in the **** is getting everyone so riled up for? Fairer results are some how frowned upon?

tk13 09-21-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937857)
Your argument was if you can ram it down the oppositions throat and score a touchdown while the game is on the line, you deserve another possession.

I'm saying the Broncos technically did just that.

Yeah, but it still doesn't make sense. One happened during regulation, the other happened during OT. I never said if you allow a TD during regulation you deserve to lose the game.

You are never going to make it 100% fair. A team with a great offense can win the coin flip at the beginning of the game, go down and score and take the lead, and be playing from an advantageous position for the rest of the game. I've always argued as much as we argue about stuff on here, sometimes things come down to flat luck.

GoChargers 09-21-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10937905)
Yes, and the easiest way to nullify these advantages is to simply have two possessions.

I just don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over adding one extra possession. It's like I'm advocating genocide over here, what in the **** is getting everyone so riled up for? Fairer results are some how frowned upon?

How were the results unfair in any way? Did the Donks not have the opportunity to try to stop Seattle's offense? Hell, they didn't even need to get a stop, they could have even just forced them to settle for 3. Instead they let Seattle drive 80 yards for a touchdown. They deserved to lose.

Baby Lee 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

****ing ESPN saying 'new rules put extra emphasis on coin toss,' then go to forehead presser where he puts the OT loss on choosing the coin toss poorly.

Transparent.

eDave 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

Manning choked the coin toss.

/sorry if Q

Buck 09-21-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 10937638)
I thought the last time they changed it was because this happened to him...or maybe it was Favre. Can't remember.

Yep. The Manning Rule was created because of this game.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YKCKH5OhLUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcpasco 09-21-2014 09:52 PM

Instead of guaranteed possessions why not just play a 10 minute quarter.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 09:53 PM

why not just let payton have the ball, or get 2 flips. That way errbody happy.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-21-2014 09:53 PM

seattletimes.com doesn't sound like a satire site, but in all honesty, are they serious?

People whined (rightfully so) about the overtime rules for years and years, and the league finally got it right. Now we're going to whine some more? Was Denver's defense not aware of the overtime rules going in?

Mama Hip Rockets 09-21-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 10937947)
Instead of guaranteed possessions why not just play a 10 minute quarter.

Or why not just leave the rules like they are now, since they're perfect?

kcpasco 09-21-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10937957)
Or why not just leave the rules like they are now, since they're perfect?

Just a suggestion. The NBA does an extra quarter and nobody seems to complain.

And nobody complains about MLB doing extra innings either.

Baby Lee 09-21-2014 09:57 PM

Just a thought.

Penalty Kicks?

KChiefer 09-21-2014 09:58 PM

<---

Demonpenz 09-21-2014 10:00 PM

I wouldn't do penalty kicks because they do that in the mls and it seems to suck.

The_Hound 09-21-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10937967)
Just a thought.

Penalty Kicks?

only if that involves Dorsey's crotch