ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports U.S. soccer ratings top NBA Finals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284773)

Eleazar 07-03-2014 04:15 AM

U.S. soccer ratings top NBA Finals

NEW YORK -- An estimated 21.6 million people watched Belgium knock out the United States in the World Cup on U.S. television -- an impressive total for a weekday afternoon that almost certainly undercounts how many people actually saw it.

The Nielsen company said Wednesday that 16.5 million people watched the game on ESPN, with 5.1 million more seeing it on the Spanish-language Univision network. In addition, nearly 1.7 million people watched an online stream of the event, Nielsen said.

The record U.S. television audience for soccer is the 24.7 million who saw the United States play Portugal on June 24, which tied the 2010 World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands.

The Portugal game took place on a weekend, however, when there were more people with free time available to watch. The U.S.-Belgium game started at 4 p.m. on the East Coast, earlier in other time zones, during a working day.

Nielsen does not measure viewership in bars, offices or other public places. In 2010, ESPN estimated that the stated audience size for weekday World Cup games would increase by 23 percent if public viewing were taken into account.

Still, Tuesday's knockout game exceeded the average viewership for the most recent World Series and NBA Finals, events that took place during prime-time when more people were home to watch.

The just-concluded NBA Finals where the San Antonio Spurs beat the Miami Heat averaged 15.5 million viewers, with 18 million watching the final game. Last fall's World Series averaged 14.9 million viewers, with 19.2 million watching the Boston Red Sox beat the St. Louis Cardinals in the last game.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said on Wednesday that everyone connected with the soccer team is excited to see how the sport is reaching a U.S. audience. He could see it coming, given the popularity of the game among young people and the large crowds that turned out for the team's sendoff games before the World Cup.

"Soccer is breaking through and gets its deserved recognition without taking anything away from the other big American sports," Klinsmann said.

He said it's important for people to identify with the way Americans played the game.

"The energy and the commitment and the tempo and the aggressiveness that we played with kind of made people proud at home and surprised a lot of people outside of the United States, maybe in Brazil or in Europe," he said.

The highest overall ratings for the U.S.-Belgium game came in New York, Nielsen said.

ESPN said that overall viewership for the World Cup is up 44 percent over 2010.

Jimmya 07-03-2014 05:25 AM

Soccer will only be popular in the US every 4 years.

Simply Red 07-03-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 10728846)

What can I say? I'm of this population that will be only watching the World Cup.

The Olympic 'feel' to it makes it exciting. I would have a harder time getting into

Soccer if/when it's US cities battling each other.

Really have enjoyed the WC though, no question.

Deberg_1990 07-03-2014 05:44 AM

Quote:

Somewhat true because the MLS ratings are still generally very low.

The MLS has made enormous gains in 20 years, but I guess the perception that it's a "lesser" league hurts it amongst a lot of soccer fans.

Rausch 07-03-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Yup, but the fact it's even popular at all is a huge step forward...

KCUnited 07-03-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10728857)

The MLS has made enormous gains in 20 years, but I guess the perception that it's a "lesser" league hurts it amongst a lot of soccer fans.

Honest question, is the MLS televised regularly? Do the majority of MLS fans watch other MLS games that don't include the team in their market? I'm a Royals fan, but I rarely watch other MLB baseball games. Living in KC, could I watch a San Jose/Salt Lake game on tv?

I might be more apt to check out some premiere league games now that I have some name recognition from the WC. I'd like to check out some MLS games as well.

redfan 07-03-2014 06:50 AM

Currently as big as hockey? In 20 years, bigger than baseball?

:hmmm:

Prison Bitch 07-03-2014 07:06 AM

The NBA is gawd-awful. Not a shock. I cannot believe anybody watches a second of that garbage. WHAT WILL THE BIG 3 DO ZOMG!?!?!

Eleazar 07-03-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10728912)
The NBA is gawd-awful. Not a shock. I cannot believe anybody watches a second of that garbage. WHAT WILL THE BIG 3 DO ZOMG!?!?!

75% of the broadcast is players just standing around. It's boring.

Prison Bitch 07-03-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10728918)
75% of the broadcast is players just standing around. It's boring.

Do you agree with me, that anybody who mentions that stupid phrase "The Big 3" should be zapped with a taser?

Eleazar 07-03-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10728857)

We haven't seen yet what kind of a boost MLS will get from the World Cup. You can go to MLS and see many or most of the players from the National Team, who just competed and held their own in the World Cup. That can only help.

Eleazar 07-03-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10728920)
Do you agree with me, that anybody who mentions that stupid phrase "The Big 3" should be zapped with a taser?

I don't watch that garbage league, but isn't it the big 1, and two guys who are over the hill?

TEX 07-03-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Yep.

morphius 07-03-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10728899)
Honest question, is the MLS televised regularly? Do the majority of MLS fans watch other MLS games that don't include the team in their market? I'm a Royals fan, but I rarely watch other MLB baseball games. Living in KC, could I watch a San Jose/Salt Lake game on tv?

I might be more apt to check out some premiere league games now that I have some name recognition from the WC. I'd like to check out some MLS games as well.

I can't remember which channel it is, either Fox Sports 1 or NBC Sports will have a national game every week I believe. But I'm generally the same with Soccer as with Baseball, I watch Sporting and the Royals and that is it. Though I have pretty much reached that level with the NFL lately as well.

KCFaninSEA 07-03-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Could not agree more.

Pitt Gorilla 07-03-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Yet, it's much better than college basketball.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

I am alright with this moving of the goal post.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10728899)

Every Sporting KC game is on here locally on 38 the spot though their next game this Sunday is on ESPN.

In addition to local broadcasts there are national games sometimes on ESPN or ESPN 2 other times on NBC Sports and every now and then on NBC.

Local viewership in MLS markets are decent but getting Sporting KC fans to watch Portland Timbers and Chicago Fire play is one of those things they want to continue to build.

Now having said that Sporting Kansas City vs Chicago Fire 2pm Sunday on ESPN! :D

Prison Bitch 07-03-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10728945)
Yet, it's much better than college basketball.

Of course Comosexuals like the nba better, since their team usually stinks.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 08:06 AM

This is the last year of their current TV deal. Next year ESPN, Fox, and Univision share MLS rights which will also open up most games to be carried on the Watch ESPN platform. New 8 year deal is worth 90 million a year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ision-deportes

Titty Meat 07-03-2014 08:09 AM

Soccer sucks

2bikemike 07-03-2014 08:11 AM

2 sports that I can care less about. I would watch Golf before I watched Soccer or Basketball. And I am not watching Golf.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 10728973)
2 sports that I can care less about. I would watch Golf before I watched Soccer or Basketball. And I am not watching Golf.

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

Eleazar 07-03-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10728971)
Soccer sucks

You're a sucky poster

lcarus 07-03-2014 08:33 AM

I know i didnt care about another Spurs Heat finals...

Bambi 07-03-2014 08:41 AM

It's ridiculous to compare one off events like soccer or football games with basketball and baseball series. It's apples and oranges.

The NCAA Basketball viewership also destroys the NBA. It doesn't necessarily mean it's better basketball.

Articles like this are just dumb from the get-go.

Titty Meat 07-03-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10729003)
It's ridiculous to compare one off events like soccer or football games with basketball and baseball series. It's apples and oranges.

The NCAA Basketball viewership also destroys the NBA. It doesn't necessarily mean it's better basketball.

What do you expect from a coochsie thread?

Pitt Gorilla 07-03-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10728966)
Of course Comosexuals like the nba better, since their team usually stinks.

Educated fans will take the nba; it's a far superior game.

ThaVirus 07-03-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10729003)

You make a point, but did you read the article? The US played two games, I believe, before they even made it to the win-or-go-home portion of the World Cup. There were 24 million viewers tuned into the USA vs. Portugal game and 21 million for our elimination game against Belgium. Both of those ratings were higher than any game of the NBA Finals...

Xanathol 07-03-2014 11:27 AM

There are ~40-50 million illegals here right now... coincidence? I think not...

ChiefsCountry 07-03-2014 11:29 AM

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...ll-tv-ratings/

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhed (Post 10728900)
Currently as big as hockey? In 20 years, bigger than baseball?

:hmmm:

This year's World Cup crushed last year's World Series. The highest rated game from the World Series pulled 19million viewers.

It's sad that people spend so much time trying to convince others that a particular sport sucks, rather than just taking the time to learn and enjoy the sport. I've been hearing all month about how Americans dont like Soccer....yet the numbers suggest that it's only behind football.

It seems that more Americans enjoy the World Cup more than "America's favorite pastime".

There isn't an argument to be had anymore.

notorious 07-03-2014 11:31 AM

All but two teams were left in the NBA finals. That cuts a lot of fans out, thus lower ratings.

Anyone that says that the NBA sucks hasn't been watching the playoffs the last few years. It has been fantastic compared to the early/mid 2000's.

The regular season is an AIDS fire, though.

RealSNR 07-03-2014 11:31 AM

The NBA finals were over after Game 3.

Had that been a 7 game series, I imagine the viewer ratings would be far different.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanathol (Post 10729259)

You think all those Mexico fans become US soccer fans all the sudden. The rivals?

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10729261)

Old article is old.

Eleazar 07-03-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10729249)
What do you expect from a coochsie thread?

The article is on the front page of ESPN.com, dumbass

ChiefsCountry 07-03-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10729264)
All but two teams were left in the NBA finals. That cuts a lot of fans out, thus lower ratings.

Anyone that says that the NBA sucks hasn't been watching the playoffs the last few years. It has been fantastic compared to the early/mid 2000's.

The regular season is an AIDS fire, though.

Its KU basketball fans around these parts that generally think NBA basketball sucks.

notorious 07-03-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729266)
You think all those Mexico fans become US soccer fans all the sudden. The rivals?

I am not backing his post, but you can not discount a huge boost of millions of Mexican viewers in the US.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10729265)
The NBA finals were over after Game 3.

Had that been a 7 game series, I imagine the viewer ratings would be far different.

Yea, there was a game 7 in...what was it...2013? I am reading it got 26 millionish.

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729266)

Don't talk to him. He's a dumbass. He pulled those numbers out of his ass and then assumes that all Illegals are Mexican.

He's one of the biggest biggoted dumbasses on the board. Don't think for a second that he can carry any sort of logical conversation.

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10729270)
I am not backing his post, but you can not discount a huge boost of millions of Mexican viewers in the US.

And why does that matter? Are their numbers excluded when talking about the other major sports?

Last time i checked Mexicans also like football and baseball.

Baby Lee 07-03-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10729262)
This year's World Cup crushed last year's World Series. The highest rated game from the World Series pulled 19million viewers.

It's sad that people spend so much time trying to convince others that a particular sport sucks, rather than just taking the time to learn and enjoy the sport. I've been hearing all month about how Americans dont like Soccer....yet the numbers suggest that it's only behind football.

It seems that more Americans enjoy the World Cup more than "America's favorite pastime".

There isn't an argument to be had anymore.

I'd be perfectly happy if they just ignored it if they don't like it.

I can't think of any other entertainment or enjoyment medium that has more people popping in to tell others how much they dislike it.

I don't go to SoapOperaPlanet, or RealityTVPlanet to tell people there that I think their shows suck and only gay people watch them.

I don't go to VeganPlanet or IHeartBrussellsSproutsPlanet to tell that that their diet sucks and only gay people eat that way.

Maybe its just me.

KC_Connection 07-03-2014 11:37 AM

And with the huge nationalism element gone now (which doesn't exist in professional basketball obviously), the remaining World Cup games will get nothing close to that in the US.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10729275)

I can't think of any other entertainment or enjoyment medium that has more people popping in to tell others how much they dislike it.

I don't go to SoapOperaPlanet, or RealityTVPlanet to tell people there that I think their shows suck and only gay people watch them.

I don't go to VeganPlanet or IHeartBrussellsSproutsPlanet to tell that that their diet sucks and only gay people eat that way.

Maybe its just me.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._r1_400-1-.gif

Bambi 07-03-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10729252)
Educated fans will take the nba; it's a far superior game.

Just like the nfl is far superior to the CFB. Obviously professionals are better.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10729278)
And with the huge nationalism element gone now, the remaining World Cup games will get nothing close to that in the US.

Call your shot

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Maybe its just me.

Agreed.

Hearing them bitch about it is a lot like listening to a woman trying to figure out football.

"I don't get it. All they do is run around in tights trying to tackle each other. It's so stupid..."

KC_Connection 07-03-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729281)
Call your shot

You really don't think a ton of people will stop watching now?

Baby Lee 07-03-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729279)

In the interest of BB comity, I feel constrained to point out that, while I might rib you about your weight on occasion, I DON'T think you're 'Stanley on Free Pretzel Day' fat. ;)

Kansas City Kid 07-03-2014 11:40 AM

So the biggest soccer audience in US history can't even come close to a Thursday night Browns-Ravens NFL audience on TV. :LOL:

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10729288)
In the interest of BB comity, I feel constrained to point out that, while I might rib you about your weight on occasion, I DON'T think you're 'Stanley on Free Pretzel Day' fat. ;)

Ha!

RealSNR 07-03-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729271)
Yea, there was a game 7 in...what was it...2013? I am reading it got 26 millionish.

The point I'm trying to make is that this doesn't mean very much. It doesn't mean NBA basketball is in decline or that soccer in the US is on the rise. You can point to other data if you want to make arguments for either or both of those points, but this article that Cochise posted isn't the way to do it.

KCUnited 07-03-2014 11:41 AM

Shocking direction this thread took.

KC_Connection 07-03-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10729269)
Its KU basketball fans around these parts that generally think NBA basketball sucks.

Not me, certainly.

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas City Kid (Post 10729289)
So the biggest soccer audience in US history can't even come close to a Thursday night Browns-Ravens NFL audience on TV. :LOL:

You can't compare ANY sport to football in the U.S.

It's a stupid argument. The NFL is wildly popular. What does that have to do with the growth of soccer?

mr. tegu 07-03-2014 11:42 AM

If there is one thing I have learned watching the World Cup, its that the vast majority of the players are not that good at scoring the ball. They can manipulate it, pass it, run with it, but when it comes time to shoot the ball they are not very good.

Sure a few get lucky here and there, but I would expect more consistency from the players. I cannot believe how horrible and off target some of their "shots" are. I used to think scoring would go up if some rules were changed, but now I realize the problem is not the rules, its the players.

notorious 07-03-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10729274)
And why does that matter? Are their numbers excluded when talking about the other major sports?

Last time i checked Mexicans also like football and baseball.

It doesn't matter, but Zach said that "Mexicans suddenly become US fans", when in fact they don't have to be to tune in and boost ratings.

Last time I looked soccer is far and away more popular than Baseball and football for Hispanics.

I could be wrong, but probably not. I count hundreds of hispanics on the soccer fields around here compared to few on a baseball diamond or football field.

Dodge City and Garden City have a huge hispanic population that are from the heart of Mexico.

Bugeater 07-03-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Maybe its just me.

You might have a valid point if this board was called SoccerPlanet.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729295)
If there is one thing I have learned watching the World Cup, its that the vast majority of the players are not that good at scoring the ball. They can manipulate it, pass it, run with it, but when it comes time to shoot the ball they are not very good.

Sure a few get lucky here and there, but I would expect more consistency from the players. I cannot believe how horrible and off target some of their "shots" are. I used to think scoring would go up if some rules were changed, but now I realize the problem is not the rules, its the players.

Well the bell curve and sample size is.... "the world" so maybe finishing is harder than you are giving credit for? You're watching the best in the world in a sport the world plays.

Swanman 07-03-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanathol (Post 10729259)

Thanks for your take, Ann Coulter.

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10729298)
It doesn't matter, but Zach said that "Mexicans suddenly become US fans", when in fact they don't have to be to tune in and boost ratings.

Last time I looked soccer is far and away more popular than Baseball and football for Hispanics.

I could be wrong, but probably not. I count hundreds of hispanics on the soccer fields around here compared to few on a baseball diamond or football field.

Dodge City and Garden City have a huge hispanic population that are from the heart of Mexico.

Im not saying that Football/Baseball are MORE popular, but they are in fact popular. Im not sure that i know a Mexican that doesn't own a Chargers jersey.

Ever look at a Chargers home crowd? It's very "brown".

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10729291)
The point I'm trying to make is that this doesn't mean very much. It doesn't mean NBA basketball is in decline or that soccer in the US is on the rise. You can point to other data if you want to make arguments for either or both of those points, but this article that Cochise posted isn't the way to do it.

Sure.

Baby Lee 07-03-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729295)

Go ahead and post up some video of your amazing skills, maybe Klinnsman will happen across it.

Swanman 07-03-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10729287)
You really don't think a ton of people will stop watching now?

US viewership will drop with the US being out, but I think the viewership in the remaining games will be much higher than previous World Cups after the US got knocked out. However, you also have to factor in that Brazil is basically in the same time zone as the US so that muddies the waters with ratings.

Baby Lee 07-03-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon Cheeseburger (Post 10729300)
You might have a valid point if this board was called SoccerPlanet.

You might have a point if we only talked about football, let alone only the Chiefs, here.

mr. tegu 07-03-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729301)
Well the bell curve and sample size is.... "the world" so maybe finishing is harder than you are giving credit for? You're watching the best in the world in a sport the world plays.

I am sure finishing can be difficult at times, but when I watch a match and consistently see shots 20 feet wide and 20 feet too high I have to question how good they are at scoring.

Kansas City Kid 07-03-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 10729310)
US viewership will drop with the US being out, but I think the viewership in the remaining games will be much higher than previous World Cups after the US got knocked out. However, you also have to factor in that Brazil is basically in the same time zone as the US so that muddies the waters with ratings.

I think the viewership for the rest of it might be able to top "Three's Company" re-runs.

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729312)
I am sure finishing can be difficult at times, but when I watch a match and consistently see shots 20 feet wide and 20 feet too high I have to question how good they are at scoring.

So ehh...who is better? I mean. You are watching the World Cup.

My only point is that...if you sit back and watch NFL QBs and come away unimpressed with the passing skills of QBs then...it probably says more about the nature of passing than it does a deficiency in QBs unless you can point to a higher level. Ya know?

Unless you can then point to people who do it better than NFL QBs. The bell curve currently includes...soccer players in the world. This feels like a criticism more fitting for MLS than World Cup soccer.

mr. tegu 07-03-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10729308)
Go ahead and post up some video of your amazing skills, maybe Klinnsman will happen across it.

:drool:

I also can't come close to playing golf like the professionals but that doesn't stop them from being really good, because you know, they are professionals.

ThaVirus 07-03-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10729291)

My perception is that soccer is seeing a meteoric rise in popularity in this country. That's just my perception.

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10729298)

It depends on what kind of Hispanics you're talking about. Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, who have sizable populations in America, are more into baseball.

ToxSocks 07-03-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729312)

The same can be said about Baseball players and hitters. Or NBA players and shooters.

We can say that they suck....or we can take into consideration the difficultly and the fact that..well....it's a lot harder to do when it's contested.

mr. tegu 07-03-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729317)
So ehh...who is better? I mean. You are watching the World Cup.

My only point is that...if you sit back and watch NFL QBs and come away unimpressed with the passing skills of QBs then...it probably says more about the nature of passing than it does a deficiency in QBs unless you can point to a higher level. Ya know?

Unless you can then point to people who do it better than NFL QBs. The bell curve currently includes...soccer players in the world. This feels like a criticism more fitting for MLS than World Cup soccer.

I get what you are saying, but I can't help but think they should be more consistently on target.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-03-2014 11:54 AM

26.3 million watched last year's Finals Game 7.

GloryDayz 07-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

So, even soccer has passed you up???

|Zach| 07-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10729328)
I get what you are saying, but I can't help but think they should be more consistently on target.

Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-03-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10729335)
Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

(Cue: "you're an impatient American")

ThaVirus 07-03-2014 12:02 PM

The Super Bowl ratings have been in the 90 millions recently and rising, right?

Anyone have NFL postseason game ratings?

And regular season while you're at it?

K thanx!

Titty Meat 07-03-2014 12:02 PM

3 different threads soccer fans are bitching because people dont like the shitty sport

|Zach| 07-03-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10729342)
That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

(Cue: "you're an impatient American")

Ha, so seems you wanted to be offended before I could offend you.

It is absolutely weighted towards defenders and one moment of hopeful swatting can undue amazing build up work that started 20 passes ago. Can be cruel and unjust...lower lows and higher highs when it all comes together.