ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Life without Parole for nonviolent Cannabis conviction (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283077)

planetdoc 04-17-2014 08:07 PM

Life without Parole for nonviolent Cannabis conviction

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...efforts_co.php

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...mb-550x413.jpg

Efforts to release Jeff Mizanskey, the only man in Missouri serving a life-without-parole sentence for a nonviolent marijuana charge, are continuing this month with help from Show-Me Cannabis and Change.org.

Show-Me Cannabis has bought billboard space on I-70 near Kansas City (and near Sedalia, where Mizanskey was arrested). The billboard features a photo of Mizanskey and says: "Life without parole for cannabis? It's time we fix our unjust marijuana laws."

Jeff Mizanskey was convicted under Missouri's "Prior and Persistent Drug Offender" statute, the only drug-specific three-strike law in the country. Each of his felonies were for marijuana, the largest being approximately six pounds, which he didn't even have on him. To read the details of Mizanskey's story, go to: How a Missouri Man Could Die in Prison for Weed

Bowser 04-17-2014 08:09 PM

Him serving a life sentence for weed is a waste of taxpayer money.

planetdoc 04-17-2014 08:10 PM

A brother and sister were recently given a 20 year sentence for growing pot in Missouri.

Quote:

In Missouri, if you kill someone while driving drunk, you could go to prison for -- at most -- 15 years. That's what Natalie and David DePriest are serving -- for growing marijuana. They were educated, had jobs and had no prior felony convictions on their records.

-King- 04-17-2014 08:11 PM

How did GE get arrested for weed he didn't have on him? Trying to buy from an undercover cop?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser 04-17-2014 08:11 PM

:facepalm:

Donger 04-17-2014 08:13 PM

I'd prefer that this repeat pot head be taken into the street and killed, but this okay.

-King- 04-17-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10570293)
I'd prefer that this repeat pot head be taken into the street and killed, but this okay.

Cool story bro. Won't you tell it again?
Posted via Mobile Device

planetdoc 04-17-2014 08:14 PM

Meanwhile in America, a wealthy Du Pont heir dodged prison for raping his three year old daughter.

And that 'affluenza' teen only got probation for killing 4 people.

And...

Iconic 04-17-2014 08:18 PM

The idea you can get locked up for a plant is just so... I can't even....ugh.

-King- 04-17-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10570300)
Meanwhile in America, a wealthy Du Pont heir dodged prison for raping his three year old daughter.

Wait. What? Seriously?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iconic 04-17-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10570320)
Wait. What? Seriously?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1740180

Johnny Vegas 04-17-2014 08:20 PM

hell a teacher raping his 14 year old student got 30 days in jail in Montana.

Iconic 04-17-2014 08:21 PM

BUT THIS WEED SMOKING HIPPIE IS A BIGGER DANGER GUYZ!11

Mi_chief_fan 04-17-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10570314)

Yeah, and it boggles my mind that in 2014 there are still dry counties in this country. Hard to believe.

Johnny Vegas 04-17-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10570332)

I could die of cancer if he blew smoke in the air as I walk by.

planetdoc 04-17-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10570320)
Wait. What? Seriously?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-j...ell-in-prison/

-King- 04-17-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10570327)

Wow. Just wow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane 04-17-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10570293)

Not sure if serious

planetdoc 04-17-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10570332)

Study: Marijuana legalization doesn’t increase crime

Quote:

Three months after Colorado residents legalized recreational marijuana with the passage of Amendment 64 in Nov. 2012, Sheriff Tom Allman of Mendocio County, Calif. – a haven for marijuana growers – warned that an onslaught of crime was headed toward Colorado.

“Thugs put on masks, they come to your house, they kick in your door. They point guns at you and say, ‘Give me your marijuana, give me your money,’” Allman told a Denver TV station in February. His state became the first to legalize marijuana for medical use in 1996; Colorado followed suit in 2000.

But a new report contends that fourteen years later, even after Colorado legalized the sale of small amounts of marijuana for recreational use on Jan. 1 of this year, violent and property crime rates in the city are actually falling.

According to data from the Denver Police Department, violent crime (including homicide, sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated assault) fell by 6.9% in the first quarter of 2014, compared with the same period in 2013. Property crime (including burglary, larceny, auto theft, theft from motor vehicle and arson) dropped by 11.1%.

A study looking at the legalization of medical marijuana nationwide, published late last month in the journal PLOS ONE, found that the trend holds: Not only does medical marijuana legalization not correlate with an uptick in crime, researchers from the University of Texas at Dallas argue it may actually reduce it.

Using statistics from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report and controlling for variables like the unemployment and poverty rates; per capita income; age of residents; proportion of residents with college degree; number of police officers and prisoners; and even beer consumption, researchers analyzed data from all 50 states between 1990 and 2006. (California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana in 1996; in the decade that followed, 10 states followed suit. Today that number is up to 20 states, plus the District of Columbia.) They wrote:

“The central finding gleaned from the present study was that MML (medical marijuana legalization) is not predictive of higher crime rates and may be related to reductions in rates of homicide and assault. Interestingly, robbery and burglary rates were unaffected by medicinal marijuana legislation, which runs counter to the claim that dispensaries and grow houses lead to an increase in victimization due to the opportunity structures linked to the amount of drugs and cash that are present.”

The study drew a link between marijuana and alcohol use, surmising that the legalization of pot could cause the number of alcohol-fueled crimes to decline.

“While it is important to remain cautious when interpreting these findings as evidence that MML reduces crime, these results do fall in line with recent evidence and they conform to the longstanding notion that marijuana legalization may lead to a reduction in alcohol use due to individuals substituting marijuana for alcohol. Given the relationship between alcohol and violent crime, it may turn out that substituting marijuana for alcohol leads to minor reductions in violent crimes that can be detected at the state level.”

Donger 04-17-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10570350)
Not sure if serious

Of course not. I like needling the pot heads. They are more sensitive than Paul followers.

J Diddy 04-17-2014 08:35 PM

You would think that this country would have learned something from prohibition.

Simplicity 04-17-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10570387)
Of course not. I like needling the pot heads. They are more sensitive than Paul followers.

They are, indeed.

LoneWolf 04-17-2014 08:46 PM

I have trouble feeling sorry for this guy. He repeatedly broke the law. I don't care if you don't agree with the law. If you know something is illegal and choose to do it anyway, you have to be willing to face the consequences.

I think life without parole is excessive, but like Jim Carrey said so eloquently in Liar Liar. "Stop breaking the law, asshole!"

Iconic 04-17-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10570369)

Its funny; you hear all of this talk from legislatures about "the raising crime rates" caused by legalization and now you get research attached to this argument going in the opposite direction. If these twats would just pay attention to all the crime prohibition has caused, legalization would be a done deal. Our legislators seem more interested in grandstanding than common sense.

Why Not? 04-17-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10570447)
I have trouble feeling sorry for this guy. He repeatedly broke the law. I don't care if you don't agree with the law. If you know something is illegal and choose to do it anyway, you have to be willing to face the consequences.

I think life without parole is excessive, but like Jim Carrey said so eloquently in Liar Liar. "Stop breaking the law, asshole!"

This. The sentence is a little over the top but it's hard to get worked up over a guy who gets popped 3x for basically the same thing. Also, I assume he was told after strike two, what was to come next.

planetdoc 04-17-2014 09:08 PM

one could argue such a sentence is a violation of the 8th amendment of the US constitution.

Quote:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
1. unusual: only drug specific 3 strike law in the country.
2. cruel: life in prison for drug conviction (plant)
3. excessive ?

aturnis 04-17-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

And...

And... The good people of Texas get to pay $21,000/month to send the affluenza ten to rehab...

cdcox 04-17-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

What if it was a genetically engineered Venus fly trap that was capable of eating a human and it was created for the specific intent of throwing in your dog groomer? What then, huh? Huh? What then?

GloucesterChief 04-17-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 10570448)
Its funny; you hear all of this talk from legislatures about "the raising crime rates" caused by legalization and now you get research attached to this argument going in the opposite direction. If these twats would just pay attention to all the crime prohibition has caused, legalization would be a done deal. Our legislators seem more interested in grandstanding than common sense.

The social Puritans dropped religion and found Government. They are still Puritans but instead of simply speaking from the pulpit they can use the violence of government to satisfy their sense of moral outrage that somebody somewhere is having a good time.

Fish 04-17-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Heroin comes from a poppy plant. Cocaine comes from a coca plant. LSD comes from a fungus.

The source is irrelevant. All the best shit is natural. Doesn't make it good for you though.....

planetdoc 04-17-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10570554)
Heroin comes from a poppy plant. Cocaine comes from a coca plant. LSD comes from a fungus.

takes tremendous concentrating and processing, unlike cannabis. Hashish would be a closer (yet still imperfect) comparison to Heroin, cocaine, and LSD.

Quote:

All the best shit is natural.

arguable if "all the best shit is natural." Talk to a chemist who knows how to make some extremely potent drugs, or talk to the pharm industry.

Quote:

Doesn't make it good for you though.....

I dont think its the role of government to ban everything that is bad for you. One could make an argument that almost everything (including H20 and O2) can be bad for you outside of moderation.

KC native 04-17-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10570526)
And... The good people of Texas get to pay $21,000/month to send the affluenza ten to rehab...

Actually his parents are paying for the rehab.

aturnis 04-17-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10570731)
Actually his parents are paying for the rehab.

Not last I knew.

His parents wanted to send him to a $35,000/month joint, but the judge didn't like that option and ordered he was treated somewhere else.

KC native 04-17-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10570733)
Not last I knew.

His parents wanted to send him to a $35,000/month joint, but the judge didn't like that option and ordered he was treated somewhere else.

She didn't like the facility because it was too luxurious and she was getting scrutiny.

That kid was in the facility where my wife is interning.

aturnis 04-17-2014 11:49 PM

Which, to my understanding, b/c it was court ordered, and he didn't get to choose, it was paid for them.

Would she do US a favor and off him?

KC native 04-17-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10570744)
Which, to my understanding, b/c it was court ordered, and he didn't get to choose, it was paid for them.

I wish. He was shuffled out of there as fast as possible. There were some issues with some of the jailors and other staff being extremely hostile to him because they see kids that had no chance get long sentences for stuff that was no where close to as bad as what that kid got. They had to put several people on paid leave when he was there.

The psychologist that came up with the affluenza defense was a private guy. The family paid for that diagnosis so his punishment would be somewhat sellable to the public

Xanathol 04-17-2014 11:54 PM

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime...

KC native 04-17-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10570744)

And just looked it up. You were right. His parents are paying the max on the state facility's scale. I didn't know that had changed. I think the people at my wife's facility want to forget that he was ever there.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/04...ated.html?rh=1

saphojunkie 04-18-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

And...

Please PM me if anyone is on board with hunting these people down and killing them.

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10570479)
This. The sentence is a little over the top but it's hard to get worked up over a guy who gets popped 3x for basically the same thing. Also, I assume he was told after strike two, what was to come next.

A little? :spock:

Coochie liquor 04-18-2014 04:51 AM

Weed=the devil... NOT!! Keep it Rasta!!!!

aturnis 04-18-2014 06:00 AM

Isn't giving the aliens argument credence pretty dangerous?

Couldn't now anyone who grows up in the hood argue a similar but opposite mental disorder?

Dayze 04-18-2014 06:20 AM

the dude that's the DuPont heir looks like the old man from Pawn Stars

Simply Red 04-18-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10570387)

negative feedback!

Just Passin' By 04-18-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10570786)
A little? :spock:

It's the 3 strike rule, and other mandatory laws, that are the problem. The same thing happens with petty theft, and other low level crimes, in other jurisdictions.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...violent-crimes

Marcellus 04-18-2014 06:46 AM

If I read correctly the guy was busted 2X before for selling weed and then got busted again making a 3rd time. I am certain the guy probably had other charges that were reduced in his history as well, I doubt 3 times is his real total.

While a life sentence is ridiculously absurd, I have to ask, couldn't the guy have simply quit doing what he knew was a crime with a progressive sentence structure?

I mean he really must not be very smart maybe prison is a good place for him.

jspchief 04-18-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10570829)
If I read correctly the guy was busted 2X before for selling weed and then got busted again making a 3rd time. I am certain the guy probably had other charges that were reduced in his history as well, I doubt 3 times is his real total.

While a life sentence is ridiculously absurd, I have to ask, couldn't the guy have simply quit doing what he knew was a crime with a progressive sentence structure?

I mean he really must not be very smart maybe prison is a good place for him.

Have to agree. Society isn't going to miss this moron.

blaise 04-18-2014 07:14 AM

Harsh sentence but this guy is stupid. If they let him out he'll probably get arrested for it again next year.

tmax63 04-18-2014 07:35 AM

That's kind of my position. He knew if he didn't cut the crap he could face life but continued anyway. I like the idea that people who continually ignore the law gets penalized. CO is currently working on 6yr jail time for your 3rd DUI in 7yrs or 4th in a lifetime. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on ME"

Simplicity 04-18-2014 07:43 AM

If you know you can't do it... Why do it? Too many people running around thinking they are going to start a revolution or something... It's America, shits not gonna change.

houstonwhodat 04-18-2014 07:51 AM

Man **** Missouri

planetdoc 04-18-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10570783)
Please PM me if anyone is on board with hunting these people down and killing them.

It is unwise in this day and age to create a "paper trail" for a conspiracy to commit murder. Either that or you are LEO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 10570873)
If you know you can't do it... Why do it?

no different than prohibition time. How do you think Budweiser made their fortune? Does one follow a law only because it defines what is legal or illegal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Luther king Jr
A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.

Cannibal 04-18-2014 07:58 AM

While it may be true that he should not have broken weed laws 3 times, placing him in prison for life is ****ing ridiculous. Especially when weed is being legalized in so many other places in the country.

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

If you know you can't do it... Why do it? Too many people running around thinking they are going to start a revolution or something... It's America, shits not gonna change.

It'll change eventually. 2 states have legalized it.

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 08:01 AM

Also, people know the consequences of speeding, it doesn't stop people from doing it.

jspchief 04-18-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10570889)
Also, people know the consequences of speeding, it doesn't stop people from doing it.

Speeding doesn't have a 3 strike law that can land you in prison, so that's a pretty bad comparison.

Marcellus 04-18-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10570889)

If I knew I could realistically go to prison for it I wouldn't speed.

Marcellus 04-18-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10570888)
It'll change eventually. 2 states have legalized it.

I doubt it will ever be legal to have 6lbs of it.

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10570932)
I doubt it will ever be legal to have 6lbs of it.

If you're a proprietor. :D

notorious 04-18-2014 08:50 AM

Is he over-punished? Probably. Any ****s given by me? Nope.

planetdoc, please don't post a quote by MLK that had to deal with Civil Rights and Segregation in a thread about a dumbass that likes to smoke weed.

FishingRod 04-18-2014 08:59 AM

Stupid guy is stupid. But if I lived in MO I would encourage my state to repeal this law and recommend Commutation of sentence. The cost of keeping him locked up is not a good use of tax dollars

planetdoc 04-18-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10570963)
planetdoc, please don't post a quote by MLK that had to deal with Civil Rights and Segregation in a thread about a dumbass that likes to smoke weed.

1. MLK didnt limit his ideas to civil rights and segregation. He has a lot of quotes and speeches in regards to unjust laws.

2. I would think MLK would be in favor of cannabis reform. The history of the laws itself were written to unfairly target minorities (mainly African Americans).

planetdoc 04-18-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Too many people running around thinking they are going to start a revolution or something... It's America, shits not gonna change.

This forum was able to organize "save our chiefs" and get banners flown, billboards put up, and fans to wear black on game day to show displeasure against the Pioli regime. Dont discount the power of the common man.

Bwana 04-18-2014 09:41 AM

I think that is a long time to be hanging in a cell for weed. On the other hand life is full of choices, we all have choices to make and this guy made some bad ones.

King_Chief_Fan 04-18-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10570982)
This forum was able to organize "save our chiefs" and get banners flown, billboards put up, and fans to wear black on game day to show displeasure against the Pioli regime. Dont discount the power of the common man.

yup, I can see all the dope smokers getting together to raise a ruckus...LMAO

planetdoc 04-18-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 10571066)
yup, I can see all the dope smokers getting together to raise a ruckus...LMAO

one does not have to smoke cannabis to understand the laws against them are unjust.

Easy 6 04-18-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 10570886)
While it may be true that he should not have broken weed laws 3 times, placing him in prison for life is ****ing ridiculous. Especially when weed is being legalized in so many other places in the country.

This.

Dudes dumb as a brick no doubt, but a life sentence is even dumber.

planetdoc 04-18-2014 10:09 AM

Rare ‘Perry Mason’ moment in court wins dismissal for defendant, desk duty for 5 police officers

Quote:

A seemingly routine suppression hearing in a suburban Chicago courthouse last month took an unexpected dramatic turn when video from a police car was introduced that disproved the testimony of five police officers.

They had said Joseph Sperling was arrested after officers who pulled him over in a traffic stop smelled marijuana, searched the vehicle and found nearly a pound in a backpack lying on the back seat of his car. But the Glenview police video showed the search occurred only after Sperling was taken from his car, frisked and handcuffed, reports the Chicago Tribune (sub. req.). The newspaper dubbed it "a 'Perry Mason' moment rarely seen inside an actual courtroom."

Castigating the officers for their "outrageous conduct," Cook County Circuit Judge Catherine Haberkorn granted a defense motion to suppress the search, which eliminated a basis for his arrest and resulted in a swift dismissal by prosecutors of the felony drug case against the 23-year-old.

"All the officers lied on the stand today," said Haberkorn, who herself is a former prosecutor, at the March 31 hearing. "So there is strong evidence it was conspiracy to lie in this case, for everyone to come up with the same lie."

The officers were later put on desk duty as investigations of their conduct proceed.

The Tribune says the Glenview arrest of Sperling last June came at the request of Chicago narcotics officers who had Sperling under surveillance. They asked local police to pull him over in a marked car, which occurred when Sperling allegedly failed to use his turn signal (he says he did). Then, one of the Chicago officers testified, he smelled marijuana as he waited for Sperling to produce his license and registration. Sperling testified he was never asked to do so.

The officer, supported by testimony from four other Chicago and Glenview officers, said he ordered Sperling to exit the vehicle and stand by the trunk as he searched it. However, the video shows the search didn't occur until after Sperling was sitting, handcuffed, in a police car.

Another discrepancy in testimony concerned the location of the backpack in which the marijuana was located: Police said it was in plain view on the back seat of the car. Sperling said it was under the seat.

If not for the video, which Sperling's lawyer Steven Goldman got by issuing a subpoena to the Glenview police department, and produced in rebuttal at the suppression hearing, Sperling likely would have been convicted and jailed, the attorney told the newspaper.
perjury that only results in paid desk duty.

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 10:12 AM

I wonder if there is a 3-strike law for DUIs?

notorious 04-18-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10571105)
I wonder if there is a 3-strike law for DUIs?

I have read stories about people having 6-7 DUI's.

There should be a 3-strike law IMO.

ToxSocks 04-18-2014 10:18 AM

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. The guy had a brick of weed, got caught, and is getting off the hook because the cops didn't follow proper procedure. There is no "conspiracy" here. Just cops getting too bold and thinking that they don't have to follow procedure.

notorious 04-18-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10570979)
1. MLK didnt limit his ideas to civil rights and segregation. He has a lot of quotes and speeches in regards to unjust laws.

A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.

Humans being treated as equals is just a little different than recreation. Just a little.

wazu 04-18-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10571043)
I think that is a long time to be hanging in a cell for weed. On the other hand life is full of choices, we all have choices to make and this guy made some bad ones.

No. There's no "on the other hand" here. The punishment is absurd and ridiculous and in no way fits the crime. Not reflective of justice in any way, and an embarrassment for Missouri.

planetdoc 04-18-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10571123)
There is no "conspiracy" here. Just cops getting too bold and thinking that they don't have to follow procedure.

http://directives.chicagopolice.org/....html?ownapi=1
Quote:

The Chicago Police Department, as part of and empowered by the community, is committed to protect the lives, property, and rights of all people, to maintain order, and to enforce the law impartially. We will provide quality police service in partnership with other members of the community. To fulfill our mission, we will strive to attain the highest degree of ethical behavior and professional conduct at all times.”
Cook County Circuit Judge Catherine Haberkorn says this
Quote:

Originally Posted by article
All the officers lied on the stand today," said Haberkorn. "So there is strong evidence it was conspiracy to lie in this case, for everyone to come up with the same lie."

you might think that there was no conspiracy, but the judge does not.

Quote:

Perjury is considered a crime against justice, since lying under oath compromises the authority of courts, grand juries, governing bodies, and public officials. State and federal penalties for perjury include fines and/or prison terms upon conviction. Federal law (18 USC § 1621), for example, states that anyone found guilty of the crime will be fined or imprisoned for up to five years. Most state laws have similar provisions.
link

BigMeatballDave 04-18-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10571043)

Yep.

I love Marijuana. Since I've gotten my CDL, I cannot risk using any. A failed test and I lose it.

ToxSocks 04-18-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10571141)
http://directives.chicagopolice.org/....html?ownapi=1

Cook County Circuit Judge Catherine Haberkorn says this

you might think that there was no conspiracy, but the judge does not.

link

The judge is saying "Conspiracy" because the cops lied about following standard procedure. That's it. Period. The cops lied because they know they ****ed up. The judge is merely saying, "if they lied about this, what else did you lie about?". That in itself doesn't mean that they planted a pound of weed in the guy's car.

The guy was being monitored for drug trafficking. You don't get that kind of attention unless you're involved or around a lot of suspicious activity. The odds are pretty damn good that he was selling weed. The idea that cops are running around with bricks of weed to plant on people is such a pot head idea. It sounds like something i'd read in High Times and it sounds like something someone with an agenda would say.

It's far, far more likely that he was selling weed, the cops got too excited and ****ed up their bust.

This story does absolutely nothing for the fight against prohibition and as a smoker myself, i couldn't care less if the guy goes to jail for trafficking that much weed. I support recreational, legal use, not black market drug trafficking.

planetdoc 04-18-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10571187)
The judge is saying "Conspiracy" because the cops lied about following standard procedure. That's it. Period.

they lied under oath about the entire case. The entire case is fabricated. link

they essentially had the defendant under observation but failed to get a warrant for a search. They said the reason for the traffic stop was "failure to use turn signal" and probable cause for search was "smelling marijuana." The video evidence contradicts that.

Rights violated:
4th ammendment (searches and seizures without warrant)
right to discovery (evidence regarding basis of stop fabricated)
perjury by witnesses in criminal case.

you can call it failing to "follow procedure." I call it illegal and undermining the criminal justice system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10571187)
I support recreational, legal use, not black market drug trafficking.

there is only a black market because in some places (such as Illinois) it is not legal.

what you are saying is the equivalent of someone during prohibition saying, " I am an alcohol drinker. I support recreational, legal use, not black market alcohol trafficking." Its hypocritical because, at one point, it was illegal throughout the USA.

ToxSocks 04-18-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10571220)

they essentially had the defendant under observation but failed to get a warrant for a search. They said the reason for the traffic stop was "failure to use turn signal" and probable cause for search was "smelling marijuana." The video evidence contradicts that.

Rights violated:
4th ammendment (searches and seizures without warrant)
right to discovery (evidence regarding basis of stop fabricated)
perjury by witnesses in criminal case.

you can call it failing to "follow procedure." I call it illegal and undermining the criminal justice system.

there is only a black market because in some places (such as Illinois) it is not legal.

what you are saying is the equivalent of someone during prohibition saying, " I am an alcohol drinker. I support recreational, legal use, not black market alcohol trafficking." Its hypocritical because, at one point, it was illegal throughout the USA.

Where does it say the entire story is fabricated? They lied about the order of events. They searched the car w/o a warrant (Not following procedure). That's what caused the case to be dismissed. Again, they knew they had something, didn't follow proper procedure and lied to cover their ass. That does not equate to conspiracy. It equates to being stupid about their bust. The cops were tipped off by a narcotics agent and got too ahead of themselves. I've seen cops do this before with my father.

The "defendent" has priors and has already been convicted for drug trafficking. But i'm sure it was just those big, bad cops out to conspire against and plant drugs on a ****a, huh?

Did the cops **** up? of course they did. That doesn't absolve the guy or mean he was conspired against.

Casey Anthony wasn't convicted, but that doesn't mean that she's not a killer.

This guy got he case thrown out. That doesn't mean he's not selling drugs by the pound. He's been in jail several times before, and they'll get him again. Next time, they'll probably do it right.

ToxSocks 04-18-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10571220)

There is a lot of illegal activity around trafficking that kind of quantity. We are trying to move towards one goal. A safe, legal, consumer driven MJ market. I grew up around this shit. My dad was a trafficker for weed, meth and Heroin. He would take me with him all the time because he thought the cops wouldn't go after him with a kid in the car. I'm very well aware that while weed itself isn't that bad, this kind of black market that deals in these quantaties is toxic for communities and it needs to go away.

I want MJ legalized not because i think MJ is some great cure for cancer, or because i want to smoke pot freely wherever...i want it legalized so we can take the money and power away from people like this defendant here.

You can call me hypocritical all you want, but there is a right and wrong way to do things. Just because the cops ****ed up and didn't do it the right way, that doesn't absolve this guy.

htismaqe 04-18-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10571258)
There is a lot of illegal activity around trafficking that kind of quantity. We are trying to move towards one goal. A safe, legal, consumer driven MJ market. I grew up around this shit. My dad was a trafficker for weed, meth and Heroin. He would take me with him all the time because he thought the cops wouldn't go after him with a kid in the car. I'm very well aware that while weed itself isn't that bad, this kind of black market that deals in these quantaties is toxic for communities and it needs to go away.

I want MJ legalized not because i think MJ is some great cure for cancer, or because i want to smoke pot freely wherever...i want it legalized so we can take the money and power away from people like this defendant here.

Excellent post.