ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Norwegian skydiver nearly struck by meteorite (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282793)

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 11:56 AM

Norwegian skydiver nearly struck by meteorite

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jfEdEIwhj6s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One summer day in 2012, Anders Helstrup and several other members of Oslo Parachute Club jumped from a small plane that had taken off from Østre Æra Airport in Hedmark.

Helstrup, wearing a wing suit and with two cameras fixed to his helmet, released his parachute. On the way down he realised something was happening.

“I got the feeling that there was something, but I didn’t register what was happening,” Helstrup explained to NRK.no.

Read article in Norwegian
Immediately after landing, he looked through the film from the jump, which clearly showed that something did happen.

Something that looks like a stone hurtles past Helstrup – clearing him by only a few metres.

Search party in the forest
Later that day, Helstrup returned to Oslo. But he could not stop thinking about his strange experience, so he took time off from work to go back to the Rena area for a couple of days to look for the stone – but with no luck.

Anders Helstrup - Anders Helstrup in his wing suit. - Foto: Roger Myren / NRK
Anders Helstrup in his wing suit.
FOTO: ROGER MYREN / NRK
“We continued the search during the summer. I got my girlfriend, family and friends to join the project. We searched the forest and kept looking."

By then, Helstrup had already formed the idea that it was a meteorite that flew past him.

“When we stopped the film, we could clearly see something that looked like a stone. At first it crossed my mind that it had been packed into a parachute, but it’s simply too big for that.”

Meteorite experts get involved
Eventually Helstrup contacted the Natural History Museum in Oslo.

“The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community. They seemed convinced that this was a meteorite, perhaps I was the one who was the most sceptical.”

Now Helstrup suddenly had a whole flock of meteorite enthusiasts following him. They analysed and triangulated and narrowed down the search area.

In the summer of 2012 Helstrup and his helpers had begun searching an area of one and a half square kilometres. Today, the area has been limited to 100 times a hundred meters, but that’s big enough – especially when you’re not really sure what a meteorite looks like.

“I found a stone which I thought was a meteorite and took it to the museum. They just fell about laughing,” Helstrup revealed.

“It can’t be anything else”
Although Helstrup is still not completely convinced that it was indeed a meteorite that flew past him, the experts are in no doubt.

“It can’t be anything else. The shape is typical of meteorites – a fresh fracture surface on one side, while the other side is rounded,” said geologist Hans Amundsen.

He explained that the meteorite had been part of a larger stone that had exploded perhaps 20 kilometres above Helstrup.

Amundsen thinks he can make out coloured patches in the stone, and believes that in that case it may be a breccia – a common type of meteorite rock.

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nea...ite-1.11646757

saphojunkie 04-04-2014 12:01 PM

What's up, Norwegian Jennifer Lawrence?

planetdoc 04-04-2014 12:07 PM

the reporter girl is a cutie.

htismaqe 04-04-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10539048)

Would.

Bowser 04-04-2014 12:11 PM

Looks like someone flushed a toilet on board a 767 at 38,000 feet.

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 12:14 PM

That would be a painful bowel movement.

BlackHelicopters 04-04-2014 12:16 PM

Would

seclark 04-04-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10539052)
Looks like someone flushed a toilet on board a 767 at 38,000 feet.

that's a space peanut.
sec

Halfcan 04-04-2014 12:28 PM

The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community

3 people in Norway got a chubby when they saw the video.

fan4ever 04-04-2014 12:52 PM

Thank God he wasn't hurt.

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10539079)
The film caused a sensation in the meteorite community

3 people in Norway got a chubby when they saw the video.

Sure the first time anything like this has ever been seen or filmed, sure thats nothing. Hey back to the Bachelor!

Jimmya 04-04-2014 12:59 PM

Crazy news daily.

CaliforniaChief 04-04-2014 01:31 PM

That's pretty amazing.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-04-2014 01:37 PM

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Rtm8w3o63AA/hqdefault.jpg

Fish 04-04-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10539039)
What's up, Norwegian Jennifer Lawrence?

Eldrid Borgan

Norwegian host of a show called Schrödinger's cat.
PHD in molecular biology.
Loves anal.

-King- 04-04-2014 02:07 PM

That's an unpleasant language.

Pitt Gorilla 04-04-2014 03:06 PM

Girl you looks good.

BWillie 04-04-2014 03:12 PM

Surprised meteors dont hit planes more often. Glad they dont. Still scary to think about

Baby Lee 04-04-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10539552)
Surprised meteors dont hit planes more often. Glad they dont. Still scary to think about

Don't know what squiks me out more, reports of meteorites the size of Greyhound buses coming our way, or buffalo beating feet out of Yosemite.

;)

mikey23545 04-04-2014 04:32 PM

Hey Lane, do you know if that skydiver is an atheist?

Rain Man 04-04-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10539758)
Don't know what squiks me out more, reports of meteorites the size of Greyhound buses coming our way, or buffalo beating feet out of Yosemite.

;)

The meteors have just as good a chance of hitting a Middle Eastern country as they do us, so there's a chance that a giant meteor could do some good in the long run. I'm looking right down the barrel of the Yosemite volcano.

And by the way, this is an amazingly cool thread.

Otter 04-04-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10539048)

too fat!

/Omaha

HonestChieffan 04-04-2014 08:24 PM

All faked but sure has the star boy crowd excited.

CoMoChief 04-04-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 10539120)
Thank God he wasn't hurt.

It would have made a much better story if he had been though. :evil:

CoMoChief 04-04-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

;)

animals have that weird extra sense that can tell when bad shit's about to happen, or when a major storm is coming. If they're getting the **** out, I probably would have the strong urge to do so as well.

KcMizzou 04-04-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10539307)
That's an unpleasant language.

I think it's Klingon.

UL Washington 04-04-2014 09:05 PM

This takes a 9 minute video? Just show the applicable few seconds and end it.

htismaqe 04-04-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

;)

You do know that the last time it erupted it deposited a foot of ash almost all the way to the Nebraska/Iowa border, right?

Baby Lee 04-04-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10540399)
You do know that the last time it erupted it deposited a foot of ash almost all the way to the Nebraska/Iowa border, right?

Bill Bryson schooled me soundly on the implications of a Yosemite eruption.

EDIT: It occurs to me that I might have overused an emoji to tilt the mood too far in the opposite direction.

Those truly are things that squik me when I let my imagination run wild, not things that I am deriding as absolutely preposterous.

The odds are long, incredibly long, phenomenally long, but meteorites do travel the heavens and Yosemite will erupt some day.

htismaqe 04-04-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10540425)
Bill Bryson schooled me soundly on the implications of a Yosemite eruption.

:thumb:

He's originally from Des Moines...

Baby Lee 04-04-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10540435)
:thumb:

He's originally from Des Moines...

Don't tell me he's a midget with a razor sharp internet tongue and skinbra has an inexplicable crush on him.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2383

htismaqe 04-04-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10540440)
Don't tell me he's a midget with a razor sharp internet tongue and skinbra has an inexplicable crush on him.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2383

ROFL

Dave Lane 04-04-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10539306)
Eldrid Borgan

Norwegian host of a show called Schrödinger's cat.
PHD in molecular biology.
Loves anal.

In.

Fish 04-08-2014 03:05 PM

Oops... not a meteorite....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...as_a_rock.html

Quote:

We think we can reconstruct what happened: A pebble, a few cm in size at most, was accidentally caught inside the parachute at the landing site after the previous jump. Then the parachute was packed on a clean floor and the pebble was not noticed. Then Anders made the jump with the stowaway. This is a wingsuit dive and he’s travelling fast northwards at an downward angle of approximately 40 degrees. When he releases the parachute, the wind catches it and it shoots out to the south of him. The parachute is held back by the cords, but the pebble is not. The pebble is now increasingly getting further south and further above Anders. However, the parachute then slows Anders down, he makes a 250 degree clockwise rotation and at this moment the pebble happens overtake him. It had now been falling for a few seconds and was no longer accelerating much.
Quote:

I actually became convinced last night, when BA Tweep Helge Bjørkhaug sent me a link to a slowed down version of the video. Immediately before the rock flies past, I saw a second piece of debris just to the right of the skydiver’s parachute strap. It was in several frames, and clearly real. Here’s a screen grab:

http://imageshack.com/a/img534/3366/jgbx.jpg

This is a frame from the footage online from the skydiver's forward-facing camera, at the 2:51 mark. The debris is highlighted. Literally a less than a second later the big chunk goes by, making it pretty clear they’re connected by the same event: the parachute unfurling. If they were both meteoroids, there is no way a smaller one would be so close to the bigger one; air resistance would have separated them by hundreds or thousands of meters by this point. The more logical and parsimonious explanation is that they came from the parachute itself, accidentally wrapped up with it when it was prepped for the jump.
No word on Eldrid's nude pics.

Valiant 04-08-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10548564)

Makes sense, wouldn't it still be smoking at that level?

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2014 03:38 PM

This is no big deal. Has happened to me on several occasions. I now wear a helment when I skydive just for this reason.

BigMeatballDave 04-08-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10548641)
This is no big deal. Has happened to me on several occasions. I now wear a helment when I skydive just for this reason.

I thought you wore a helmet all the time for very different reasons.

J Diddy 04-08-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10548564)

Of course it isn't. It doesn't become a meteorite until it hits the ground.

Fish 04-08-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10548710)
Of course it isn't. It doesn't become a meteorite until it hits the ground.

Thanks, Dick.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10548684)
I thought you wore a helmet all the time for very different reasons.

Johnny Football !