ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Is Your Work Affected By Weather? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276219)

Rain Man 09-13-2013 12:27 PM

Is Your Work Affected By Weather?

Just curious. I see two dimensions: weather affects or does not affect your ability to do work, and weather affects or does not affect customers' ability/desire to use your company.

My business is not affected at all. If there's a big snowstorm nearly all of my employees have laptops and can work from home, and our clients don't slow down in rain or snow. We're pretty weather-independent in the market research industry.

BryanBusby 09-13-2013 12:29 PM

Since we do a lot of transportation, our business completely shuts down anytime there's significant snow accumulation.

KC_Lee 09-13-2013 12:31 PM

Weather really does not effect my work as a Business Analyst for a large data company. However, since the city of Nashville only has 2 snow plows half an inch of snow shuts down the city.

Luckily I can work remotely at home.

Buehler445 09-13-2013 12:31 PM

LOL

Technically no. Regardless of weather I've got work to do. But yeah, weather affects my job.

BIG_DADDY 09-13-2013 12:32 PM

almost never

gblowfish 09-13-2013 12:33 PM

Only in terms of shipping. When we're shipping stuff either here or out to a client, bad weather can affect due dates.

DaFace 09-13-2013 12:37 PM

I can work from anywhere, but my work depends on the weather in the sense that our customers' sales tend to vary a lot depending on how favorable the weather conditions are for their activity of focus. So in that sense, the TYPE of work I end up doing sometimes varies based on what activity's brands have the most money to spend on research.

Moon§hiner 09-13-2013 12:38 PM

Anyone in HVAC is affected because of power outages and snow storms. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Especially if the roads are closed.

Otter 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

Volcanic eruptions or slight drizzle?

BlackHelicopters 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

Snow mainly affect ability of customers to reach us, and the employees to make it in. Any excuse not to go to the Dentist.

rockymtnchief 09-13-2013 12:39 PM

We put as much fiber and copper in the ground as weather and frost permit. Once everything is frozen or soggy, we start doing aerial work or wrecking out old plant. We're buried in work in the Spring/Summer/Fall and hustling every day. The aerial and wreck out work we usually do at a relaxed pace.

Graystoke 09-13-2013 12:49 PM

It actually is very affected by weather.
The Saying "When it Rains it Pours" kinda sums up what happens.
I work for a Municipal Treatment Works. Like any old town the infrastructure, sewer pipes under ground, take on water like a sieve when it rains. Normal flow of 25 Million Gallons per day can increase upwards to 100 MGD causing all kinds of problems at Lift Stations and the Treatment Scheme.
Takes alot of capital and time, but slowly we are fixing the problems.
But when it rains hard, my phone starts ringing.

blaise 09-13-2013 12:54 PM

Almost never. If the weather is too bad almost everyone can log in from home.

alnorth 09-13-2013 01:00 PM

No impact at all. The government forces you to buy some of our products, and the banks also force you to buy some of our products. When you are forced to our doorstep, we'll try to upsell you, but the weather wont impact that.

Fish 09-13-2013 01:12 PM

I'm always amazed at how much demographic information Rain Man manages to squeeze out of this forum. All completely voluntarily. Dude is a genious.......

Archie F. Swin 09-13-2013 01:22 PM

I honestly don't know how to answer....

MOhillbilly 09-13-2013 03:06 PM

Winters are tough.

hometeam 09-13-2013 03:19 PM

I am a car salesman.

Weather nice and bad affects our customer flow, and bad affects our ability to work somewhat.

displacedinMN 09-13-2013 03:50 PM

I could not believe it when I saw this Question.

I teach and am a weather nut.

This is what I wrote in a weather forum a few years ago.

Quote:

I am working on this theory that changes in barometer changes student behavior.

The last day and a half have been bad. Brick wall

The kids started getting restless and unfocused about 11:00 yesterday. So I looked at the barometer (or as I call it- the student behavior meter Laughing) and sure enough it had started to drop. By 1pm, it was dropping rapidly and my students were losing focus fast. I walked into the hall and it was madness. Very loud, kids running and a buzz about the building. Another teacher walked by and said "What is going on? My classes are crazy and the halls are nuts!!" (barometer)

Today-the same thing. My first period was very restless and unfocused. I would stop talking for 5 seconds and they were gone. It was very surprising since I have the advanced classes-but they are still 8th graders at heart. Second period not as bad after I read them the riot act.

Halls were crazy. Other teachers commented that their kids were very restless today. ISS was FULL- so many kids were being booted from class.

My own kids were not saved. They talk, but it was like listening to 2 chipmunks on the way home from school. Kids are girls 10 and 6.
The ten year old seemed to have lost all common sense and practical thought. The six year old was very jumpy and hyper.

After dealing with this all day-I am stressed, grumpy and tired. I try to handle it, but it takes a toll on me too.

The chart attached shows the dates, time and barometer change. The circled section was yesterday-falling rapidly from 30.35 to 30.18
in 4.5 hours. My station called it falling rapidly.
Since then there has been a constant free fall as the warm front moves in along with a weak low pressure.

Last year- I would take daily data on barometer changes, fronts, moon phases etc. and compare it to office referrals and general behavior in the classroom. Unofficially, I came to the conclusion that changes in barometer makes the kids unfocused and restless. Almost to the point where I could tell the drop in barometer BEFORE I looked at the charts.

I have found a little about this on the net but I think I have groundbreaking information. I am thinking about sending out a daily bulletin with the barometer reading and what to expect and how to adapt.

Have any of you felt like this or observed this as the weather changes. My knee hurts and I get headaches at times. My ten year old gets headaches too.

There is also a book called "The Man who Predicts Earthquakes" Jim Berkland and the author talks about people that get headaches before earthquakes. And animals that act differently or run away before quakes.

I also look at this book
http://www.manfredkaiser.com/book/
That book is my new evidence.
Two years ago, Minneapolis recorded its lowest air pressure ever. There were a record number of births at a local hospital.

If you want to make a bet on a baby being born, look at the weather. Bet it will happen before a rain or snow event.

Amazingly enough, snow does not as much. In the Minneapolis Metro area, most schools do not have snow days. We have enough equipment to clear snow fast.
Our district has had 1 snow day in 12 years. But some won't show up on those days because the bus is 10 minutes late. they go back home.

end essay

Earthling 09-13-2013 03:55 PM

My work is affected by weather I want to work or not that day. :D
(Retired owner)

Fire Me Boy! 09-13-2013 04:08 PM

Yes, it affects both, but not in the way you'd imagine.

In the TV biz (specifically local news), big weather means all hands on deck, increased viewership, and increased attention to web and mobile.

Fire Me Boy! 09-13-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9970243)
I honestly don't know how to answer....

Same as mine, Weather Boy. :D

Aries Walker 09-13-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon§hiner (Post 9970142)
Anyone in HVAC is affected because of power outages and snow storms. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Especially if the roads are closed.

Bingo. My day job is in HVAC, and you can add heatwaves - even one-day, 90-degree "heatwaves" - because it a) knocks out air conditioners, b) inspires the local power company to start their parasitic AC-cutoff program, which people misinterpret as their AC going out, and c) reminds everyone that it's summer, and they'd better get their annual checkup done.

That said, I'm looking quite forward to some crippling blizzards which I hope we get this year, so I can stay home and study and write instead.

Bugeater 09-13-2013 04:46 PM

Yes, as has been mentioned by others, the hotter it is, the more air conditioners **** up.

2112 09-13-2013 04:47 PM

Yes, it very much effects my job

Earthling 09-13-2013 04:49 PM

For the HVAC guys, are fire ants in Kansas and if so have you encountered any problems in units because of them? Apparently it is a big problem in Texas.

eDave 09-13-2013 06:22 PM

My business is not impacted directly in any way by weather. However, it can affect me and my productivity. I'd be like Joe Banks if it rained all the time. And yet here in AZ it's sunny all. the. time. and that gets depressing too believe it or not. Best days here are when it rains. LOL

Edit: Not MY business. The company I work for.

scho63 09-13-2013 06:29 PM

We cannot perform our work in the rain but can with snow however we close all deals with no relevance to the weather.

SAUTO 09-13-2013 06:34 PM

Weather definitely affects customer flow
Posted via Mobile Device

cabletech94 09-13-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon§hiner (Post 9970142)

this works in the cable installation/running business.

we never shut down.

/like your mother...........;)

Psyko Tek 09-13-2013 08:41 PM

only when it leaks on the machines

my boss is to cheap to fix the roof
he juast replaces the ceiling tiles so they can leak on 200K machines

vailpass 09-13-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 9971484)
only when it leaks on the machines

my boss is to cheap to fix the roof
he juast replaces the ceiling tiles so they can leak on 200K machines

Monsoon mess with your stuff?

DenverChief 09-13-2013 08:46 PM

"Customers" yea sometimes the weather affects how our customers behave lol

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-13-2013 08:47 PM

It affects me directly through class/school cancellations, and indirectly when it's in the upper 70s with little wind, as all I think about is how I'd rather be playing golf.

vailpass 09-13-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 9971495)
"Customers" yea sometimes the weather affects how our customers behave lol

Is it true the crazies get crazier on full moon?

DenverChief 09-13-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9971501)
Is it true the crazies get crazier on full moon?

I cannot say for sure as I haven't ever really paid attention to that however when it gets hot full stupid goes into effect

vailpass 09-13-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 9971523)
I cannot say for sure as I haven't ever really paid attention to that however when it gets hot full stupid goes into effect

I don't doubt that, better you than me. Respect.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 09-13-2013 09:07 PM

Weather only affects me if we get snowed out (Maryland and snow plows are not close acquaintances), lightning knocks out the power, or we get the occasional hurricane that closes the place (Hello, Sandy).

Hell, when I was in the Army, while weather affected us, it certainly didn't stop activities from taking place . . . "If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'" was not just a line from Renaissance Man. Although, when I was in the 101st, you could pretty much guarantee if we went to the field in Nov - Mar, there'd be a snow/ice storm or at least cold, steady rain the entire time we deployed.

Iowanian 09-13-2013 09:08 PM

Bad weather usually results in more work for me, so that's good.

Sometimes, due to rain and mud my job is also much more difficult, so yes.

DaneMcCloud 09-13-2013 09:10 PM

It only affects my mood

EdmontonChiefsFan 09-13-2013 09:18 PM

When it rains, we basically shut down. My, guys pretty much draw a 12" circle in the sand...........when 10 drops hit the circle they are gone.

On the other side it can be -30 and snow a foot and they will still work.

When we work on the West Coast it can pour rain for a week and everybody will work. However, if there are a few snowflakes the boys are gone.

Strange