ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Charles interview on Grantland (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274407)

the Talking Can 07-09-2013 02:49 PM

Charles interview on Grantland

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-video-podcast

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YPg1esge5wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

plus a review/preview of the Chiefs:

Quote:

The main concentration of that talent remains on the defensive side of the ball. Tamba Hali has been one of the league’s top pass-rushers for years, but last season, second-year outside linebacker Justin Houston joined him among the NFL’s best. Houston has noted that working alongside Hali has accelerated his learning process as a pass-rusher, and considering the development of most rushers, there’s reason to believe he’ll be even better in Year 3. On the inside in Kansas City’s linebacking corps is Derrick Johnson, who remains consistently great and consistently overlooked. Over the past few seasons, Johnson may belong at the top of the non–Patrick Willis list of players at the position. On the back end, Brandon Flowers continued his run as one of the league’s better corners, and although Eric Berry’s name and draft status still outweigh his production, he’s an undeniably talented 24-year-old safety.

The options at the other corner and safety spots are both underwhelming — Miami didn’t seem too broken up about trading out Sean Smith for Brent Grimes — and although 2012 first-round pick Dontari Poe deserves more time to develop at the nose, the remainder of the Chiefs’ front is made up of known, ordinary commodities. Still, there remains a core of talent on that side of the ball that should far exceed what we saw a year ago.

It’s on the other side where a leap forward should ultimately make the difference, and that leap starts where most NFL success does — with the quarterback and head coach. Last year, Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn finished 36th and 38th, respectively, in quarterback DVOA. If you’ll recall, there are only 32 teams in the NFL. Alex Smith was 10th. Smith is not Tom Brady — he isn’t even Colin Kaepernick — but going from wholly inept to mildly competent at quarterback can make all the difference for an offense, and Smith is nothing if not mildly competent....

RippedmyFlesh 07-09-2013 03:25 PM

My new rallying cry "I am mildly competent "

Ace Gunner 07-09-2013 03:37 PM

"I set my goals -- I always try to get guys to set goals"

Made me think back to that video coverage of Jamaal talking to DBowe in Hawaii saying "you need to set your goal to come back here" or something to that effect.

FlaChief58 07-09-2013 03:38 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/su-HUDo7XQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OnTheWarpath15 07-09-2013 03:44 PM

Your 2013 Kansas City Chiefs: Mildly Competent.

Great seats still available!

Chief_For_Life58 07-09-2013 03:55 PM

is english jamaals first language I still cant tell

threebag 07-09-2013 03:57 PM

You know what I'm sayin

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-09-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 9801389)
My new rallying cry "I am mildly competent "

ROFLROFLROFL:clap:

I love this.

Lonewolf Ed 07-09-2013 05:32 PM

After the fifth "knowwutimsayin" I had to hit the pause button. I love Jamaal being a Chief but I feel bad for the guy when he is interviewed!

Demonpenz 07-09-2013 05:38 PM

Black Forrest gump

Bewbies 07-09-2013 05:59 PM

Mildly compliment. LMAO

ChiefGator 07-09-2013 06:03 PM

Jamaal you know what i'm saying charles is you know what i'm saying a really you know what i'm saying good running you know what i'm saying back.

Hammock Parties 07-09-2013 06:04 PM

Mild Thing!

You make my butt sting!

http://binaryapi.ap.org/aba891e786b5...ca212/940x.jpg

ChiefGator 07-09-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9801739)
Jamaal you know what i'm saying charles is you know what i'm saying a really you know what i'm saying good running you know what i'm saying back.

That was actually a damn good interview, once Jamaal settled down, so I apologize to Jamaal for my earlier post. He seems to be speaking better, once he gets over jitters, and really buying into it. Best damn interview I've heard him give.

threebag 07-09-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9801799)
That was actually a damn good interview, once Jamaal settled down, so I apologize to Jamaal for my earlier post. He seems to be speaking better, once he gets over jitters, and really buying into it. Best damn interview I've heard him give know whut I'm sayin.

Maybe

Simply Red 07-09-2013 06:53 PM

I like this guy a whole lot - and honestly - I know nothing of his life, really.

Seems to have a heart of gold.

Bewbies 07-09-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9801732)
Mildly compliment. LMAO

Damn you autocorrect!

milkman 07-10-2013 08:56 AM

Me: "Alex Smith is a mediocre game manager."

Homer: "No he isn't. He's a mildly competent game manager, damn it!"

lcarus 07-10-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9802828)
Me: "Alex Smith is a mediocre game manager."

Homer: "No he isn't. He's a mildly competent game manager, damn it!"

I'm holding out hope that he can be a mildly competent game manager. That's about as optimistic as I get...

milkman 07-10-2013 09:16 AM

Interesting stat I wasn't aware.

In every game that Charles has 20 or more carries, he has run for 100 yards or more.

BlackHelicopters 07-10-2013 09:17 AM

Mildly competent. Print ' em.

mdchiefsfan 07-10-2013 09:43 AM

Did he really say that after he broke a 50 yard run he would only have to run for another 25 yards to get 100 yards?

mdchiefsfan 07-10-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9801897)
I like this guy a whole lot - and honestly - I know nothing of his life, really.

Seems to have a heart of gold.

Start a thread for the e-jerk? :)

aturnis 07-10-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9802893)
Did he really say that after he broke a 50 yard run he would only have to run for another 25 yards to get 100 yards?

Yes, but I assume in his situation, he hasn't carried the ball only once in the game.

the Talking Can 07-10-2013 10:06 AM

more chiefs stuff on grantland:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-make-playoffs

Quote:

3. Kansas City Chiefs

Arguments in favor: Massive upgrades at quarterback and coach, unusual level of core talent for subpar team, massive turnover differential, fumble recovery rate, friendly schedule

Arguments against: Limited upside of quarterback, astoundingly low level of performance last year

The Chiefs were outscored by better than 13 points per game last season, which was the 14th-largest margin in the NFL over the past 25 years. They were a 2-14 team that wasn't particularly unlucky to go 2-14 despite having six Pro Bowlers on their roster. What sort of promise can 2013 possibly hold?

Competence. That's what Alex Smith and Andy Reid can provide, even if greatness proves to be beyond their grasp. Ron Jaworski just placed Smith at 20th in his quarterback rankings. Twentieth doesn't sound all that great. But think about Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn for a moment. He's replacing a pair of quarterbacks who couldn't be trusted with throwing the ball in any but the most desperate moments last season. Upgrading from, say, the 45th-best quarterback in football to the 20th? That's the move the Colts pulled off last year when they traded in Curtis Painter for Andrew Luck.5 When your quarterback play is that dismal, even improving to league-average can be an enormous, multi-win upgrade.

And the numbers favor a Chiefs revival, too. Kansas City's turnover differential last year was a grotesque minus-24, which tied them for a spot in the cellar. That offense is extremely unlikely to throw 20 interceptions again with Smith at the helm, and the defense is likely to recover more than five fumbles this time around. The Chiefs recovered only one out of every three fumbles that hit the ground during their games, the third-lowest rate in the league. They also get to play the AFC South, the NFC East, the Bills, and the Browns, which is arguably the easiest schedule in the league. Believe in the Chiefs!

Discuss Thrower 07-10-2013 10:12 AM

Welp... the defense kept KC in the game against the eventual World Champions...

BlackHelicopters 07-10-2013 10:17 AM

Everyone seems to be forgetting about DMC. Dude is a stud.

ChiefAshhole20 07-10-2013 10:52 AM

DMC is going to be one of the more important pieces on this offense. His ability to get open in small spaces and quickness is perfect for Reid's offense and Smith's style. He isn't going to give you a deep threat, but those quick passing plays where you need 5-8 yards play right into Mcclusters strengths.

the Talking Can 07-10-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9802955)

at what?

loochy 07-10-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9802955)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...URE-IF-SRS.jpg

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9802852)
Interesting stat I wasn't aware.

In every game that Charles has 20 or more carries, he has run for 100 yards or more.

ya that is pure badass right there

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-10-2013 11:19 AM

Then the midget...

loochy 07-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9803066)
Then the midget...

...fumbled a lot...

saphojunkie 07-10-2013 12:07 PM

the 'mildly' part stuck out to me.I'd give Alex Smith a full "competent" grade. He is limited with his physical tools, but his intelligence and ball safety make him absolutely a competent QB. Having said that, we aren't going to the playoffs, and even if we do, we aren't winning. But at the very least, the Chiefs will be ****ing watchable again.

I think people (even with all the Cassel hate) don't realize just how atrocious the QB play was the last four years. Going from "Guy who shouldn't be in the league" to "guy who is a competent NFL starter" is a massive jump. Massive.

We still need our QB. It is the most important position in all of team sports, and it would be ****ing nice if one ****ing time the most important position was occupied by our most talented player.

Until then, at least I can watch the games again.

Rausch 07-10-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9803186)
the 'mildly' part stuck out to me.I'd give Alex Smith a full "competent" grade. He is limited with his physical tools, but his intelligence and ball safety make him absolutely a competent QB. Having said that, we aren't going to the playoffs, and even if we do, we aren't winning. But at the very least, the Chiefs will be ****ing watchable again.

I think he's an excellent "game manager."

If we let him continue to play that way and stay healthy I could see a possible 9-7 with this record. Some years that's good enough for the post season.

If we try and make him this gunslinger throwing the ball 35+ times a game I don't see any of that happening...

Mav 07-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

I think people (even with all the Cassel hate) don't realize just how atrocious the QB play was the last four years. Going from "Guy who shouldn't be in the league" to "guy who is a competent NFL starter" is a massive jump. Massive.

We still need our QB. It is the most important position in all of team sports, and it would be ****ing nice if one ****ing time the most important position was occupied by our most talented player.

So are you going to tell me that the Ravens best player is Joe Flacco, and that the Giants best player is Eli Manning? That is so not the case. Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata are all better than Flacco, and at the very least, JPP is better than Manning. Having a complete team is far more important than having a Franchise qb. If you have one great, but you can still win with an average to above average qb. Which the chiefs do have.

Mav 07-10-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9803212)

If we let him continue to play that way and stay healthy I could see a possible 9-7 with this record. Some years that's good enough for the post season.

If we try and make him this gunslinger throwing the ball 35+ times a game I don't see any of that happening...

That means you are trailing a lot, and not using your best player in Jamaal Charles. I agree whole heartedly.

Easy 6 07-10-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Truth be told.

Easy 6 07-10-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9803216)
So are you going to tell me that the Ravens best player is Joe Flacco, and that the Giants best player is Eli Manning? That is so not the case. Ray Rice, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata are all better than Flacco, and at the very least, JPP is better than Manning. Having a complete team is far more important than having a Franchise qb. If you have one great, but you can still win with an average to above average qb. Which the chiefs do have.

Not even one of those players impacts the game the way a starting QB does.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, their best player is Flacco.

Mav 07-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9803235)
Not even one of those players impacts the game the way a starting QB does.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, their best player is Flacco.

You have got to be kidding. JPP single handedly destroyed the Packers, 49ers, and Patriots passing games in route to winning that super bowl. Stop it.

Just like, it was ultimately, the Ravens defense, that ultimately won their super bowl for them.

Again. The past two seasons, the team with the best qb, hasn't won in my opinion. I don't think flacco is a better qb than Kaep, and I don't think that Eli Manning is a better qb than Tom Brady. The better teams won. The more well rounded teams win. Again. Having a franchise qb, if you can get one, is great, if you cant, which the chiefs couldn't, then build up the rest of your team, which is what the chiefs did.

A great example of this, is two plays by Flacco, that were more a RESULT of the opposing teams crap defenses. For instance.

Against the broncos, if they had a competent safety, such as say BRIAN DAWKINS, that pass never happens that got the Ravens the win. If the 49ers had a better safety, Whitner is awful in coverage, then Jones doesn't get that wide open td. Where as, it was the ravens secondary, who ultimately stopped the 49ers.....

Its just me, I think the desperation for a franchise qb gets blown way out of proportion.

saphojunkie 07-10-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

And they have to have a great defense to win super bowls. Which is possible, but having your best player at QB is far easier to maintain extended success.

I'd take Aaron Rodgers and the #15 defense over Joe Flacco and the #1 defense every single year. it's not even close.

Mav 07-10-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9803251)
And they have to have a great defense to win super bowls. Which is possible, but having your best player at QB is far easier to maintain extended success.

I'd take Aaron Rodgers and the #15 defense over Joe Flacco and the #1 defense every single year. it's not even close.

Like I said. if you have a franchise qb, you don't say no, id rather have a complete team. Unfortunately, aaron Rodgers, hasn't had the 15th ranked defense. More like 25th. That's why they cant win. Same with Tom Brady.....hasn't won since what 05?

aturnis 07-10-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Totally. Why don't you look at the playoff/Superbowl teams over the last 10 yrs. Overwhelmingly full of franchise QB's.

There is nothing more important in all of sports. Period.

the Talking Can 07-10-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9803239)
You have got to be kidding. JPP single handedly destroyed the Packers, 49ers, and Patriots passing games in route to winning that super bowl. Stop it.

Just like, it was ultimately, the Ravens defense, that ultimately won their super bowl for them.

Again. The past two seasons, the team with the best qb, hasn't won in my opinion. I don't think flacco is a better qb than Kaep, and I don't think that Eli Manning is a better qb than Tom Brady. The better teams won. The more well rounded teams win. Again. Having a franchise qb, if you can get one, is great, if you cant, which the chiefs couldn't, then build up the rest of your team, which is what the chiefs did.

A great example of this, is two plays by Flacco, that were more a RESULT of the opposing teams crap defenses. For instance.

Against the broncos, if they had a competent safety, such as say BRIAN DAWKINS, that pass never happens that got the Ravens the win. If the 49ers had a better safety, Whitner is awful in coverage, then Jones doesn't get that wide open td. Where as, it was the ravens secondary, who ultimately stopped the 49ers.....

Its just me, I think the desperation for a franchise qb gets blown way out of proportion.

yeah, Flacco is just a lucky bum...with the most playoff road wins of any QB in NFL history...the only thing he has done since entering the league is win...what a schmuck

but Smith...well, he's the real deal...it took him a decade to become a game manager, and to even be healthy for a whole season, and then to get benched....so he's awesome

there is never a time when QBs are discussed on this board that I don't wish to commit genocide on my own face...with a shotgun, of course

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9803123)
...fumbled a lot...

in his bum

the Talking Can 07-10-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

yes, Flacco is far and away the best and most important player on the Ravens...and the playoffs made that painfully clear...like how far up your ass would your head have to be to miss it?

he dropped 34 on the 49ers defense and was named MVP, meanwhile that collection of broken down ravens defenders you listed gave up 31 points...

your like some true fan from hell...jesus ****

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

ya good post -- folks are going to see how ****ing horribly lame matty c & scooter really were

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9803212)

I bet we see AS throw 35+ passes in at least 5 games this season. he's playing much faster because he is finally getting his reads pre snap. I expect him to lead off where he last left off and with better targets in Jamaal & Bowe than he's ever had, I too expect 9 - 7 and maybe a playoff win.

This team is more talented than all but a few AFC teams.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-10-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9801799)
That was actually a damn good interview, once Jamaal settled down, so I apologize to Jamaal for my earlier post. He seems to be speaking better, once he gets over jitters, and really buying into it. Best damn interview I've heard him give.

Agreed. I really can't wait to see them in action. Again. Like every year, setting myself up for dissappoint. :banghead:

Mav 07-10-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9803412)
yeah, Flacco is just a lucky bum...with the most playoff road wins of any QB in NFL history...the only thing he has done since entering the league is win...what a schmuck

but Smith...well, he's the real deal...it took him a decade to become a game manager, and to even be healthy for a whole season, and then to get benched....so he's awesome

there is never a time when QBs are discussed on this board that I don't wish to commit genocide on my own face...with a shotgun, of course

I wont stop you. wanna borrow one of mine?

Who mentioned smith again? I didn't. I was talking about Flacco, and recent super bowl WINNING qbs.

Mav 07-10-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9803444)
yes, Flacco is far and away the best and most important player on the Ravens...and the playoffs made that painfully clear...like how far up your ass would your head have to be to miss it?

he dropped 34 on the 49ers defense and was named MVP, meanwhile that collection of broken down ravens defenders you listed gave up 31 points...

your like some true fan from hell...jesus ****

Oh? You mean like the defense that completely locked down the 49ers offense until the power went out? Or the int, that put the Ravens in prime scoring position in the second quarter, or how about the kick off return to open the second half which was a touchdown.

Joe Flacco, SHOULDNT of been Mvp, that was greatly debated, and the truth was it should of been Jacoby Jones. But, you uh, go about your marry way there, suck on the end of that 12 gauge. Save me a head ache will ya?

ChiefGator 07-10-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

So are you going to tell me that the ... Giants best player is Eli Manning? That is so not the case. .. at the very least, JPP is better than Manning.

Eli is a franchise QB. He wasn't at first. He was a mediocre game manager, but then he won the superbowl. So, now he is a franchise QB.

Just like Flacco.

Mav 07-10-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9803771)
Eli is a franchise QB. He wasn't at first. He was a mediocre game manager, but then he won the superbowl. So, now he is a franchise QB.

Just like Flacco.

im not questioning if they are franchise qbs. they just aren't the best players on their teams. There are lots of franchise qbs. Just few elites.

Elites like aaron, drew, peyton, tom. They are the best players on their teams.

Titty Meat 07-10-2013 04:54 PM

You can't understand what charles says and he's not interesting.

Easy 6 07-10-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9803771)

Just like Flacco.

I didnt used to like Eli at all, but the more i watched him, the more i realized that he does more with less pure physical talent than any other QB in the league.

He might be the savviest QB playing right now.

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 06:38 PM

ya it was actually that superbowl run that established him. he had some good games that season, but when the playoffs came, he didn't let up. he's been pretty damn good ever since.