ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Well, this doesn't make much sense. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272504)

Direckshun 04-26-2013 08:42 AM

Well, this doesn't make much sense.

Staying at 1.1 and drafting a tackle makes sense if we traded Albert.

Trading down from 1.1 and drafting BPA on value makes sense if we still have Albert.

Trading Albert away for a 2nd rounder makes sense if we had to give up our second this year for Alex Smith.

Trading a 2nd for Alex Smith makes sense if we didn't think we could land any good QBs with our 2nd rounder.

But none of these are the case. We still have Albert, we stayed at 1.1, we took a tackle, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are still on the board, and we don't have a single second round pick.

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

There are several strategies that would have made sense here, but the Chiefs have seemed to have skillfully navigated around all of them.

I... just don't get it.

Fritz88 04-26-2013 08:44 AM

I am positive we'll trade BA to Miami tonight. It just makes too much sense not to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix 04-26-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9630664)
I am positive we'll trade BA to Miami tonight. It just makes too much sense not to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, but Miami's leverage has gone up. Chiefs now have to trade Albert, unless they think either Albert or Fisher can/should be moved to RT and they have a need there.

I can only assume that the Chiefs are comfortable that they will get good value for Albert from someone, either today or post-draft.

KChiefs1 04-26-2013 08:49 AM

Albert's value went up after yesterday.

Sorter 04-26-2013 08:49 AM

ROFL at the Austin Powers reference.

L.A. Chieffan 04-26-2013 08:51 AM

we needed a rt, we drafted one that nobody ever seen play with the first pick.

what seems to be the problem?

Fritz88 04-26-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9630673)
Yeah, but Miami's leverage has gone up. Chiefs now have to trade Albert, unless they think either Albert or Fisher can/should be moved to RT and they have a need there.

I can only assume that the Chiefs are comfortable that they will get good value for Albert from someone, either today or post-draft.

How did their leverage go up?

All first round caliber tackles are gone. Unless they want to get a rookie second or third rounder, they can get top 10 Tackle in Albert.
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon 04-26-2013 08:56 AM

Quit trying to mind **** it.

Just come to the realization that this regime is as shitty as the last one.

Amnorix 04-26-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9630692)
How did their leverage go up?

All first round caliber tackles are gone. Unless they want to get a rookie second or third rounder, they can get top 10 Tackle in Albert.
Posted via Mobile Device

On the presumption the Chiefs have to move Albert. If the Chiefs don't have to move Albert, because either he or Fisher can be swung to the right, or there are more teams than the Dolphins interested in him, then the Chiefs' leverage has gone up instead.

philfree 04-26-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9630656)

Trading down from 1.1 and drafting BPA on value makes sense if we still have Albert.

Trading Albert away for a 2nd rounder makes sense if we had to give up our second this year for Alex Smith.

Trading a 2nd for Alex Smith makes sense if we didn't think we could land any good QBs with our 2nd rounder.

But none of these are the case. We still have Albert, we stayed at 1.1, we took a tackle, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are still on the board, and we don't have a single second round pick.

There are several strategies that would have made sense here, but the Chiefs have seemed to have skillfully navigated around all of them.

I... just don't get it.

So you think we should have entered the draft without a starting QB and then waited to draft one in the 2nd round? I don't think I like that plan.

penbrook 04-26-2013 08:57 AM

Reid said he will start the best 5 guys regardless of position. He even mentioned Fisher being able to play guard.

ChiefaRoo 04-26-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9630673)

Nope. Keep BA and play him at LT this year and Fisher at RT. Make Miami suck it for trading with the Raiders.

Fritz88 04-26-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9630696)
On the presumption the Chiefs have to move Albert. If the Chiefs don't have to move Albert, because either he or Fisher can be swung to the right, or there are more teams than the Dolphins interested in him, then the Chiefs' leverage has gone up instead.

According to Reid, Fisher can pretty much play anywhere in the line.
Posted via Mobile Device

noa 04-26-2013 08:58 AM

Andy Reid truly views Alex Smith as his 2nd round pick well spent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter 04-26-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9630697)
So you think we should have entered the draft without a starting QB and then waited to draft one in the 2nd round? I don't think I like that plan.

Worked out for the Bengals.

Marcellus 04-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9630693)
Quit trying to mind **** it.

Just come to the realization that this regime is as shitty as the last one.

LMAO

So do you always blame the other person when you dont get your way?

Is every issue in your life someon elses fault?

ChiTown 04-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 9630703)
Andy Reid truly views Alex Smith as his TWO 2nd round pickS well spent.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIFY

Sorter 04-26-2013 08:59 AM

It's too bad we didn't draft Floyd at 1.1.

Then we would have gone cross-eyed.

Codered 04-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9630701)
Posted via Mobile Device

While that is true. Who drafts a RT at 1.1? That's my only question with that reasoning.

Fritz88 04-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo (Post 9630700)
Nope. Keep BA and play him at LT this year and Fisher at RT. Make Miami suck it for trading with the Raiders.

I think Ireland has taken the bait and he isn't worried about it because he has enough picks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Messier 04-26-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

They don't have to move Albert.

philfree 04-26-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9630704)
Worked out for the Bengals.

The Bengals are looking pretty good for the Bengals but I don't think I'd ever want to follow their lead.

WV 04-26-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

To be fair Andy Reid also loved him some Mike Vick.

aturnis 04-26-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Chiefs have zero urgency to move Albert. Fischer stated weeks ago he'd gladly play RT. Add that Dorsey played Bulgaria at RT as a 1st round rookie and it's a non issue.

Albert's stock went up b/c so many tackles went off the board early and many teams still have a need. Albert was the best LT available yesterday, now, he's head and shoulders best available.

Any team left would spend the same on Albert as they a would an unproven, low ceiling rookie.

No brainer. More than just Miami should be in talks now.

Chief Roundup 04-26-2013 09:02 AM

You are assuming that they wanted one of the top QBs in this draft. They may not have liked any of them very well.
You are assuming that they wanted to get rid of albert. They may have wanted him to see his market without losing him.

Sorter 04-26-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9630719)
The Bengals are looking pretty good for the Bengals but I don't think I'd ever want to follow their lead.

49ers used the same strategy. At the time they selected Kaepernick, nobody thought Alex Smith was even as good as Cassel.

noa 04-26-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9630707)
FIFY

Yep, sadly. I disagree with him like hell, but it's the only way you can look at this and try to make some sense of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV 04-26-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9630721)
Chiefs have zero urgency to move Albert. Fischer stated weeks ago he'd gladly play RT. Add that Dorsey played Bulgaria at RT as a 1st round rookie and it's a non issue.

Albert's stock went up b/c so many tackles went off the board early and many teams still have a need. Albert was the best LT available yesterday, now, he's head and shoulders best available.

Any team left would spend the same on Albert as they a would an unproven, low ceiling rookie.

Agreed.

And I don't know why anyone is surprised by how this unfolded. We are Chiefs fans after all.

Fairplay 04-26-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

They have operations to correct cross-eye Direckshun.

Amnorix 04-26-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9630701)
Posted via Mobile Device

Then 'phins leverage probably didn't go up, and since the first round was very OL heavy, leverage may have swung to the Chiefs.

Obviously the point of OLine is to roll out the best five guys you can. You don't take a guy at 1.1 to play anywhere except LT, of course, but if they don't like the value the 'phins are offering, they can think to themselves that they will keep both for this year, swinging one of them to somewhere else on the line, and then trade Albert next year (franchise and trade, if need be).

Obviously that's a worst case scenario. Point is that leverage didn't swing to the Dolphins if that is a realistic plan (if not a preferred plan).

Codered 04-26-2013 09:05 AM

I think while the thought of Fisher can just move to RT sounds good on paper. I just can't see the Chiefs or any team for that matter spending a 1.1 on a RT. They must be confident they can trade Albert for value.

Amnorix 04-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9630721)

I won't argue with you. if they have positional flexibility and more than just the 'phins have a need for a top 10 or so LT, then you're right that leverage may be with the Chiefs.

WhawhaWhat 04-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

If only Pioli hadn't hidden the keys to the DeLorean before he left... man what a dick.

The Franchise 04-26-2013 09:07 AM

I wonder if they use our 3rd and a later pick to trade up into the middle of the 2nd for a pplayer that fell.

WV 04-26-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9630739)
I wonder if they use our 3rd and a later pick to trade up into the middle of the 2nd for a pplayer that fell.

That's not supposed to be Dorsey's MO, but then again neither was giving up 2 picks for Average Smith.

Rain Man 04-26-2013 09:11 AM

Unless Schwartz is the right tackle, we need one, and there have been several cases of rookies starting at right tackle and then moving to left. Put Albert at left tackle and Fisher at right tackle and let them take turns hoisting Charles in end zone celebrations.

The Franchise 04-26-2013 09:12 AM

Well as of right now....I would assume it's going to look like:

Albert - Schwartz - Hudson - Asamoah - Fisher

philfree 04-26-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9630723)
49ers used the same strategy. At the time they selected Kaepernick, nobody thought Alex Smith was even as good as Cassel.

Out of the QBs available who's ready to start? Barkley? Almost all the talking heads say Geno's not ready to start so who's the pick in that situation? And then of course we're using hindsight but if teams thought we were targeting a QB with our 2nd pick they might have traded up to steal him. Or not :shrug:

Rasputin 04-26-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

That is what I understood in his press last night. We wont bother picking another QB any time soon in the draft.

Off to medeocreland for the next few years, we wont have the same shot to take the best QB of the draft for anther few years.

John Dorsey feels Alex Smith is a second round quarteback to be our QBotf. :#

In58men 04-26-2013 09:14 AM

Andy Reid "thought" he had a great idea. Takin Alex Smith and going all in for him is a bad idea itself. Assuming you'll jump back into the 2nd because you have Brandon Albert as trade bait is another bad idea. Never assume you'll get what you want, Reid thought otherwise.

So far Reid has failed us, Sean Smith is in no way spectacular and Miami is thrilled he's gone. Read their reactions. This offseason has been way overrated.

Amnorix 04-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9630747)
Unless Schwartz is the right tackle, we need one, and there have been several cases of rookies starting at right tackle and then moving to left. Put Albert at left tackle and Fisher at right tackle and let them take turns hoisting Charles in end zone celebrations.

There's alot to be said for that, however Reid historically has been very run-adverse. I really like Andy Reid ALOT. I think he's very classy, very smart, runs a really well-run operationg, etc., but my one big concern with him is his run/pass ratio.

Of course, given Charles' build, I'm not sure that he wouldn't be smart to reduce the workload on him anyway.

Marcellus 04-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9630749)
Out of the QBs available who's ready to start? Barkley? Almost all the talking heads say Geno's not ready to start so who's the pick in that situation? And then of course we're using hindsight but if teams thought we were targeting a QB with our 2nd pick they might have traded up to steal him. Or not :shrug:

Meanwhile if we dont get Alex Smith to start, JC, Hali, DJ, etc...all get another year or 2 older why we are still developing a QB from this crappy draft class.

Simplicity 04-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9630712)
They don't have to move Albert.

The guy doesn't want to be here.

keg in kc 04-26-2013 09:15 AM

They're not giving me very much hope at this point. They got fleeced for Alex Smith, and now the way the draft is playing out is making it look like an even worse trade. I'm not sure what, if anything, they can do today to recover. There's going to be a lot of good players drafted in what's supposed to be Dorsey's wheelhouse (late first to 3rd round) and we'll be sitting there twiddling our thumbs.

Mr. Laz 04-26-2013 09:15 AM

it's not really that confusing

They selected the player they thought was best
They will trade Albert IF and only IF they get an offer they like
Keeping Albert and having Fisher will make Alex Smith look better ... making their trade look better

People might not like it, but it's not confusing.

Marcellus 04-26-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9630754)
Andy Reid "thought" he had a great idea. Takin Alex Smith and going all in for him is a bad idea itself. Assuming you'll jump back into the 2nd because you have Brandon Albert as trade bait is another bad idea. Never assume you'll get what you want, Reid thought otherwise.

So far Reid has failed us, Sean Smith is in no way spectacular and Miami is thrilled he's gone. Read their reactions. This offseason has been way overrated.

LMAO you have no clue what Reid or Dorsey were thinking going into the draft or what their long term plan to build the franchise is.

Rasputin 04-26-2013 09:17 AM

Peeing on an electric fence > Alex Smith

The Franchise 04-26-2013 09:17 AM

I guess the only true silver lining coming out of this.....is we'll no longer be mocked a LT.....until 4 years from now. Next year they'll mock us a 3-4 DE because Jackson will be gone.

FringeNC 04-26-2013 09:17 AM

What makes Albert hard to trade is that he has to be paid market value on top of giving up a draft pick. I think you take the 54th pick if offered.

ptlyon 04-26-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 9630758)
The guy doesn't want to be here.

If he didn't he wouldn't have signed his tender

ChiTown 04-26-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9630766)
Peeing on an electric fence > Alex Smith

:LOL:

Sorter 04-26-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9630769)
I guess the only true silver lining coming out of this.....is we'll no longer be mocked a LT.....until 4 years from now. Next year they'll mock us a 3-4 DE because Jackson will be gone.

I bet we get mocked a RT next year.

Marcellus 04-26-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9630760)
They're not giving me very much hope at this point. They got fleeced for Alex Smith, and now the way the draft is playing out is making it look like an even worse trade. I'm not sure what, if anything, they can do today to recover. There's going to be a lot of good players drafted in what's supposed to be Dorsey's wheelhouse (late first to 3rd round) and we'll be sitting there twiddling our thumbs.

You do realize the lack of QB's in this draft actually increases Alex Smith's value not decreases is right?

Are you seriously trying to say all these QB needy teams that didn't draft a QB in round 1 wouldn't have had the same interest we did in Alex Smith?

Have you guys all lost the ability to reason?

Fairplay 04-26-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9630762)
it's not really that confusing

They selected the player they thought was best
They will trade Albert IF and only IF they get an offer they like
Keeping Albert and having Fisher will make Alex Smith look better ... making their trade look better

People might not like it, but it's not confusing.

The offensive line will be bad ass if Albert stays

Mr. Laz 04-26-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9630771)
If he didn't he wouldn't have signed his tender

not necessarily

signing the tender keeps the team for yanking it late, leaving Albert Hanging
signing the tender allows the team to trade him

Baby Lee 04-26-2013 09:20 AM

I'm not entirely sold on the 'you never draft a RT 1.1' conventional wisdom that's always thrown around. If he's flexible enough to play multiple positions and is a mauler with a mean streak, and your OL is crapola at present he's going to provide value. I understand the whole blindside>frontside issue, but if he's providing solid protection and busting running lanes for Charles open, I'll take it. Besides he's great insurance with his flexibility for possible injuries in season.

Sorter 04-26-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9630749)

Probably Barkley.

The Franchise 04-26-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9630770)
What makes Albert hard to trade is that he has to be paid market value on top of giving up a draft pick. I think you take the 54th pick if offered.

Depends on the team. If we trade him to a team that hasn't designated a franchise player.....they can trade for him now and then work on a new contract later.

Mr. Laz 04-26-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9630777)

you can say you don't agree but it's not confusing

best way to make their trade for Alex Smith look like a good one is to give him good protection.

Albert and Fisher help do that

Simplicity 04-26-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9630777)

Not really, considering he doesn't want to play. No motivation with a 1 yr contract.

In58men 04-26-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9630763)
LMAO you have no clue what Reid or Dorsey were thinking going into the draft or what their long term plan to build the franchise is.

It's quite obvious, they wanted to trade back, but Miami thought it Alberts value was a big much. I know for a fact Reid and Dorsey think Smith is a long term QB. If they have a plan, I haven't seen anything good come out of it yet. Seam Smith, Donnie Avery (lol) and whenever else we picked up is in NO way a Super Bowl caliber team, it's truly not.

I'm pretty sure Reid's plan was to move back, but he failed too.

Fish 04-26-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 9630802)
Not really, considering he doesn't want to play. No motivation with a 1 yr contract.

He just wants a big contract. That's a long ways from "Doesn't want to play"....

Mr. Laz 04-26-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9630803)
I know for a fact Reid and Dorsey think Smith is a long term QB.

How do you 'for a fact' anything about what Dorsey and Reid are thinking?

luv 04-26-2013 09:28 AM

I completely forgot that we no longer have a second round pick. :(

ptlyon 04-26-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 9630802)

I don't believe that.

Bowe didn't go all Randy Moss on us when he was franchised.

If he really wants out it's not in his interest financially to mail it in this year if he stays.

Ebolapox 04-26-2013 09:29 AM

in all seriousness--I'll wait to see the product on the field, but if you don't develop your own QB, you're shooting yourself in the foot in this league. we got a bunch of people holding shotguns to their feet at arrowhead, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet.

In58men 04-26-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9630808)

Um because Reid said in an interview Alex Smith is our long term QB and he wants to turn him into a Hall of Famer. Unless Reid is lying to us.

The Franchise 04-26-2013 09:30 AM

At least I'm ****ing done arguing at this point. I'll see who they draft with the rest of our picks and then wait until TC before I judge what the **** is going to happen. Unfortunately that was one of the worst 1st rounds I think that I've ever seen.

Beef Supreme 04-26-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9630720)
To be fair Andy Reid also loved him some Mike Vick.

To be fair, Andy Reid made both Vick and Kolb look like rock stars for a while. I didn't really like the Alex Smith trade, but maybe the Walrus can work some magic.

Fairplay 04-26-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9630808)

He was under the desk (ala Clinton style) when they were discussing Geno.

Mr. Laz 04-26-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9630816)
Um because Reid said in an interview Alex Smith is our long term QB and he wants to turn him into a Hall of Famer. Unless Reid is lying to us.

he just traded for him, he is going to say that no matter what.

HemiEd 04-26-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9630710)
While that is true. Who drafts a RT at 1.1? That's my only question with that reasoning.

The Chiefs do. The only rule is you can't use that pick on a QB, every other position is in play. So yeah, their plan is going exactly as laid out.

Rain Man 04-26-2013 09:33 AM

The events of last night shed a lot of light on the Alex Smith trade, and the drafting of an offensive tackle.

One quarterback went in the first round. Two receivers went in the first round, one of them at the very end and the other being a gadget player. No running backs went in the first round.

If you're Andy Reid and Dorsey, you have to have a quarterback. You HAVE to have a quarterback. Alex Smith isn't a world beater, but your other choices are Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, or start a second-round rookie. You have no choice but to pick up Alex Smith.

And then, given the lack of talent at the skill positions and the fact that you already have two good pass rushers, who do you draft? Do you really, really, really reach and take a QB, RB, or WR? Probably not the best idea. You've already got a first round NT on the roster who shows promise, so the DTs are out. Who do you take?

Maybe you take the top TE since you need one, or the top CB. But you picked up couple of CBs in free agency. The top FS would be nice.

But in this situation, where the top draft picks fit none of your needs, maybe the best option is to say, "Screw it. Let's just take the best player on the board." And they did that.

Looking at how the first round shook out, I feel a lot better about the logic involved in the offseason. We all want a franchise quarterback, but there just wasn't one anywhere, so we acquired the best talent we could under the circumstances.

HemiEd 04-26-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9630811)
I completely forgot that we no longer have a second round pick. :(

Really? Just dial back to 2009, and you will see how this whole thing has been going so far.

1)Trade top of the second round pick (34th overall) for a rejected serviceable back up QB from another team. Check!

2) Use high first round pick (1st or 3rd overall) on a big "safe pick" lineman. Check.

If the rest of this draft plays out like the 2009 draft, we can all just jam an aids tree up our butts.

Sorter 04-26-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9630832)
The events of last night shed a lot of light on the Alex Smith trade, and the drafting of an offensive tackle.

One quarterback went in the first round. Two receivers went in the first round, one of them at the very end and the other being a gadget player. No running backs went in the first round.

If you're Andy Reid and Dorsey, you have to have a quarterback. You HAVE to have a quarterback. Alex Smith isn't a world beater, but your other choices are Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn, or start a second-round rookie. You have no choice but to pick up Alex Smith.

And then, given the lack of talent at the skill positions and the fact that you already have two good pass rushers, who do you draft? Do you really, really, really reach and take a QB, RB, or WR? Probably not the best idea. You've already got a first round NT on the roster who shows promise, so the DTs are out. Who do you take?

Maybe you take the top TE since you need one, or the top CB. But you picked up couple of CBs in free agency. The top FS would be nice.

But in this situation, where the top draft picks fit none of your needs, maybe the best option is to say, "Screw it. Let's just take the best player on the board." And they did that.

Looking at how the first round shook out, I feel a lot better about the logic involved in the offseason. We all want a franchise quarterback, but there just wasn't one anywhere, so we acquired the best talent we could under the circumstances.

You take Sheldon Richardson. Kansas City has absolutely no interior pass rush.

In58men 04-26-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9630828)
he just traded for him, he is going to say that no matter what.

So you trade for a very high 2nd round pick and then you throw another 2nd rounder in? What's the purpose of that if Alex isn't going to be long term? Like I said no matter how you slice it, Reid's offseason is below average. The ONLY positive that came out was Bowe's extension.

The Rick 04-26-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Agreed.

patteeu 04-26-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

This makes sense to me.

Direckshun, read this!

jAZ 04-26-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

I... just don't get it.

You assume that whoever we draft in the 2nd round is better than Alex Smith. The coaches seem to believe that Alex Smith is markedly better than any QB in this draft regardless of draft.

At some point, fans should accept that it's plausible that Alex Smith is not Matt Cassell. And that our coach and GM might be able to build a winning team with him. Assuming that, then we have our QB.

The next question is what made him more successful in the last 2 years than years prior? A really strong offensive line and decent receivers. So they resign their top WR, franchise their top OL.

Then in the draft they have the philosophy of taking the BPA. In this draft, everyone agreed it was one of the 2 OT's. That also happens to be part of their plan to help their QB succeed (strengthen the OL).

They also have question marks around their BA, but are happy to keep him for a 1 year deal. And let him prove his durability one more year. During that time, they can play Fisher at RT for a season. Or they will trade BA and pickup another pick or 2.

But it starts with understanding what it seems the staff beliefs. If you reject or ignore that, you will be confused.

Rain Man 04-26-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9630860)
You take Sheldon Richardson. Kansas City has absolutely no interior pass rush.

So you're going to switch to a 4-3? Or are you benching Poe on passing downs and not letting him develop those skills? It seems like drafting a DT means that you're either making him a one down or two down player or you're switching philosophies, which impacts the whole defense.

I don't know our defensive coordinator's philosophy, and in fact right now I don't remember who our defensive coordinator is. On paper, it seems like a move to a 4-3 would be doable since we're short an ILB, but do you move Tamba back to DE? Is Tyson a 4-3 LDE? Is Poe a 4-3 DT? I don't study enough to know those answers.