ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mayock sees four options for the Chiefs at No. 1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270183)

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:05 AM

Mayock sees four options for the Chiefs at No. 1

Mayock sees four options for Chiefs at No. 1

Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2013, 9:02 AM EST

APOn Monday, preeminent draft guru Mike Mayock participated in a pre-Combine conference call that lasted more than 2.5 hours. Tirelessly answering question after question, Mayock demonstrated once again a computerized recall of names and teams and needs.

With plenty of interest focused on what will happen at the top of the draft, Mayock eventually was asked to identify the players he believes to be worthy of the first overall pick, held by the Chiefs.

Mayock said there are four: Alabama guard Chance Warmack; North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper; Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel; and Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher.

Warmack is Mayock’s preference. “People will tell me I’m crazy, that a guard can’t go No. 1,” Mayock explained. “I think he’s the best player in the draft, so I would argue that.”

The list doesn’t create the kind of sizzle to which we’ve become accustomed at the top of the draft. And for good reason. There are no quarterbacks regarded as worthy of being the first overall pick this year.

Mayock realizes that the Chiefs’ needs could be influenced by their decision regarding tackle Branden Albert (who could actually move to guard if a guy like Joeckel is drafted with the first pick). Still, Chiefs coach Andy Reid learned the hard way in 2012 the importance of having a high-end offensive live. With a cluster of high-quality blockers at the top of the draft and a rookie wage scale to keep the total cost far less than what it would be to sign Albert to a long-term deal, the Chiefs could opt for the lineman whom they decide they like the most.

And then they’d hope that the rest of the teams agree with G.M. John Dorsey’s assessment that none of the quarterbacks merit a first-round selection. Which would push all of the quarterbacks to the Chiefs at the top of round two.

Dante84 02-19-2013 09:05 AM

Dante84 has seen 4 reposts about this.

ptlyon 02-19-2013 09:12 AM

Whats an "offensive live"?

RealSNR 02-19-2013 09:14 AM

I'm depressed that none of those options are a QB

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 09:16 AM

Who was the last Guard to go #1 overall?

**crickets**

htismaqe 02-19-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9415036)
Who was the last Guard to go #1 overall?

Somebody yesterday confirmed that a guard has never gone #1 overall.

RealSNR 02-19-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415044)

I'd rather wait for the Raiders to break that trend before we do.

1st round kicker, #1 overall guard, it's the perfect fit for them.

Rasputin 02-19-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Then of course the Chiefs will make history once again much like going 8 games with out having a single lead.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:24 AM

I'm of the opinion at this point that I really don't give a shit who is taken at number 1 as long as he is considered the BPA and will be an "impact" player that will upgrade "HIS POSITION."

The dude has to be able to ball! If its a lineman then he better be a ****ing bulldozer! If its a WR then the dude better be able to separate; CB better be good in both coverage and run support; etc.............

Obviously we need a QB. Irregardless, the #1 pick better be able to play some damn football!

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

exactly. Mayock knows full well too.....i dont know why he writes this crap?

rockymtnchief 02-19-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Robert Gallery went #2 tho! ROFL

(yes, I know he was a tackle at the time)

htismaqe 02-19-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415054)
I'm of the opinion at this point that I really don't give a shit who is taken at number 1 as long as he is considered the BPA and will be an "impact" player that will upgrade "HIS POSITION."

The dude has to be able to ball! If its a lineman then he better be a ****ing bulldozer! If its a WR then the dude better be able to separate; CB better be good in both coverage and run support; etc.............

Obviously we need a QB. Irregardless, the #1 pick better be able to play some damn football!

And that right there is the problem.

There aren't really any guys in this draft, at any position, that fit that description.

There's no sure-fire, gonna-be-an-All Pro in this draft at any position.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9415046)
I'd rather wait for the Raiders to break that trend before we do.

1st round kicker, #1 overall guard, it's the perfect fit for them.

Yep, Gallery = Raiders already took a guard :D

RyFo18 02-19-2013 09:28 AM

This is pretty dumb. Mayock is trolling now.

58-4ever 02-19-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9415056)
exactly. Mayock knows full well too.....i dont know why he writes this crap?

Not sure he wrote it, but yes I agree. He'll have many more conference calls after the combine. I wouldn't get too worked up over this.

Oh, and this is repost city up in this bitch.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415061)

There aren't really any guys in this draft, at any position, that fit that description.

Realistically there are two positions on our team that are in desperate need of upgrade because of Pisoli!

QB and CB

Jayhawk Chief 02-19-2013 09:30 AM

Dorsey says he drafts the BPA. Period.

Therefore, if he is being honest, could and would draft the guard from Alabama.

Now, I don't believe him. So, there's that.

jspchief 02-19-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Leonard Davis went #2 overall in 2001. Turley #7 overall '98.

Since Davis, I don't think there's even been a guard taken in the top 20.

...except for Branden Albert

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415067)
Realistically there are two positions on our team that are in desperate need of upgrade because of Pisoli!

QB and CB

i dont even think a CB has ever gone #1 overall??

BUt a top shutdown CB holds a million times more value than a guard.

siberian khatru 02-19-2013 09:33 AM

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

As Chris Meck posted on a draft thread, an 89 QB has a greater positive impact on a team than a 95 OL.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9415074)

:evil:

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk Chief (Post 9415071)
Dorsey says he drafts the BPA. Period.

Therefore, if he is being honest, could and would draft the guard from Alabama.

Now, I don't believe him. So, there's that.

I for one, hope that he does. Lock down a position for the next 5 - 7 years and then look to upgrade another position.

However, keep in mind that he shouldn't draft BPA unless that player is better than the incumbent at that position. Then you have to move on to the next BPA.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9415078)
i dont even think a CB has ever gone #1 overall??

BUt a top shutdown CB holds a million times more value than a guard.

Correct. No CB has ever been taken #1 overall.

the Talking Can 02-19-2013 09:39 AM

you shouldn't be allowed to discuss football, much less get paid for it, if you even make a joke about drafting a guard at #1...

you should just be killed, buried, and forgotten...

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415091)
Correct. No CB has ever been taken #1 overall.

Is there one in this draft that is a solid football player?

htismaqe 02-19-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415131)
Is there one in this draft that is a solid football player?

Milliner is a solid player.

But you don't draft SOLID players #1 overall.

Ace Gunner 02-19-2013 09:58 AM

you know this draft is weak up top when mayock calls for a OG at #1

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415143)
Milliner is a solid player.

But you don't draft SOLID players #1 overall.

If the draft evaluators are correct regarding this draft then making sure you get a SOLID player should become the goal. I like Milliner and would welcome him in a Chiefs uniform at a position of dire need.

Xanathol 02-19-2013 10:01 AM

And for those that don't know, Warmack sucks in pass protection ( without wrapping up ). Mayock has gone full Kiper at this point...

Dayze 02-19-2013 10:01 AM

It will be Joekel, Geno, or Milliner at #1. (can't decide on Milliner though)
IMO

I just can't get my hed around a G at #1.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-19-2013 10:03 AM

The smart move and I predict this will happen is for the Chiefs to trade back to the 5-10 area to pick up Warmack ,in return we pick up a 1st in next years draft and a 2nd this year and go after Johnny football in next years draft.

Easy 6 02-19-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415061)

Totalll agreed, a very underwhelming draft from top to bottom.

So lets take the best QB and be done with it, might as well swing for the position with the greatest potential reward when there isnt a blue chipper anywhere else.

ct 02-19-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Believe both those guys were at least drafted as Tackles. Were they Guards in college as Albert was, drafted as, then moved to Tackle?

ct 02-19-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9415172)
Totalll agreed, a very underwhelming draft from top to bottom.

So lets take the best QB and be done with it, might as well swing for the position with the greatest potential reward when there isnt a blue chipper anywhere else.

this.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415167)
The smart move and I predict this will happen is for the Chiefs to trade back to the 5-10 area to pick up Warmack ,in return we pick up a 1st in next years draft and a 2nd this year and go after Johnny football in next years draft.

ROFL

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415151)
If the draft evaluators are correct regarding this draft then making sure you get a SOLID player should become the goal. I like Milliner and would welcome him in a Chiefs uniform at a position of dire need.

Geno and Wilson will both have a far more significant impact on the team than Milliner.

You're approaching the draft with a Martyball mindset. You don't win when you play not to lose.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415188)
Geno and Wilson will both have a far more significant impact on the team than Milliner.

You're approaching the draft with a Martyball mindset. You don't win when you play not to lose.

I'm trying not to approach it from that angle. I just want to be sure we get some good football players on this team with great attitudes. I like smash-mouth Martyball as much as the next guy but I also like the Coryell "air-it-out" offense. We have a one-in-a-lifetime running back with Charles. I would hate to waste that talent ala B. Sanders in Detroit.

suds79 02-19-2013 10:16 AM

I finally got to watching Moneyball this weekend. There was a line in there where Jonah Hill says...

"People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins."

I think this draft and the #1 overall pick is much the same.

People buy into who is raited higher by the scouts. Getting all worked up over feeling good about the value they got... Warmack, Lotulelei, Jockel, etc. All those guys won't account for squat in regards to being responsible for wins.

Who will?

QB by a long shot. Then after that in order? Elite pass rushers, shutdown corners.

Take your pick of that lot.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9415201)
I finally got to watching Moneyball this weekend. There was a line in there where Jonah Hill says...

"People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins."

I think this draft and the #1 overall pick is much the same.

People buy into who is raited higher by the scouts. Getting all worked up over feeling good about the value they got... Warmack, Lotulelei, Jockel, etc. All those guys won't account for squat in regards to being responsible for wins.

Who will?

QB by a long shot. Then after that in order? Elite pass rushers, shutdown corners.

Take your pick of that lot.

That was an interesting movie. I really like the approach because it was solely based on performance and BPA at a given position.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-19-2013 10:20 AM

When you take a QB at #1 and he doesn't pan out you have just ****ed yourself for the foreseeable future. You HAVE to hit with #1

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-19-2013 10:20 AM

I wont tell him hes crazy. I will however tell him his shelf life has expired, and that retirement should be his first round prority.
Posted via Mobile Device

jspchief 02-19-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ct (Post 9415180)
Believe both those guys were at least drafted as Tackles. Were they Guards in college as Albert was, drafted as, then moved to Tackle?

See I thought Davis was drafted as a tackle too. He played his first 3 NFL seasons at guard, then played some tackle, then went back to guard. I don't remember what he played in college. But I remember him as being drafted to play tackle. I could be wrong.

The Albert part was a joke based on how many window-lickers think moving him back to guard is a good idea..

jspchief 02-19-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415223)
When you take a QB at #1 and he doesn't pan out you have just ****ed yourself for the foreseeable future. You HAVE to hit with #1

Explain this further.

the Talking Can 02-19-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

how can anyone still believe this nonsense?

we've ****ed ourselves for decades without drafting a QB...

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-19-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9415233)
Explain this further.

You're not going to shit can a QB after year one. You're going to give him 3 years . Does that explain it for you ?

suds79 02-19-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Here's what's great about taking a QB #1 in today's draft pay scale.

Lets say the worse possible thing happens. (keep that in mind) If he's a bust what happens? You're 3-13 a lot the next couple of years and you're sitting #1 or 2 a few years down the road. Then you're in the perfect position to get the next highest rated QB. You do it again.

If you hit, you have a good chance to win a SB.

The worse possible thing they could do is play it safe at QB and get say an Alex Smith. The kind of guy who will be just good enough to hold onto the job for about 5 years and realistically never get close to a QB. Then he's done after that and you're draft 17th in the first round. It's the perfect recipe for mediocrity.

Give me an A or give me an F.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415198)
I'm trying not to approach it from that angle. I just want to be sure we get some good football players on this team with great attitudes. I like smash-mouth Martyball as much as the next guy but I also like the Coryell "air-it-out" offense. We have a one-in-a-lifetime running back with Charles. I would hate to waste that talent ala B. Sanders in Detroit.

Why did Barry Sanders go to waste in Detroit?

Because he NEVER had a QB.

Erik ****ing Kramer? Scott Mitchell?

They surrounded Sanders with retreads and castoffs.

The lesson is CLEAR.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415252)
You're not going to shit can a QB after year one. You're going to give him 3 years . Does that explain it for you ?

The Dolphins "hit" on Jake Long. How did that work out?

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-19-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9415249)
how can anyone still believe this nonsense?

we've ****ed ourselves for decades without drafting a QB...

I'm just saying ,that if the QB's available all suck then don't waste the #1 overall pick praying everyone was wrong.

I understand this franchise is a QB away from being a playoff team and I believe that Reid / Dorsey will make the right move at #1. Just remember Jamarcus Russel was a #1 pick too.

suds79 02-19-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415262)
I'm just saying ,that if the QB's available all suck then don't waste the #1 overall pick praying everyone was wrong.

Sure if the Chiefs evaluate that they're all garbage, then don't do it.

But I find that hard to believe.

More than anything, I think it would be a shame for the Chiefs to walk away from this draft without their top rated QB prospect. They need to make that happen.

The safest way is #1 but it's their call.

jspchief 02-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415252)

Am I being trolled? Is there a boar semen punchline coming?

What #1 overall are you going to shitcan after 1 year?

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415255)

The lesson is CLEAR.

There are scary similarities between that Detroit team and this Chiefs team. The glaring need on both teams was/is a QB. I don't recall what other options the Lions had to pursue back then at QB but what I do know is that I want to build a TEAM around Charles. Including our glaring need of getting a solid QB.

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9415280)
Am I being trolled? Is there a boar semen punchline coming?

What #1 overall are you going to shitcan after 1 year?

You deserve to get trolled with that example of a whiney ass accesssory to murder you have as your avatar!! :D

Ray Lewis: :deevee: "They're double-teaming me coach"

Roaf/Shields: wut? :spock:

lol

patteeu 02-19-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Since Davis, I don't think there's even been a guard taken in the top

Someone may have already pointed this out, but Leonard Davis was drafted to be a LT. He just never panned out at that position.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-19-2013 10:39 AM

What have Mathew Stafford and Phillip Rivers done for their franchises ??????

Answer: Not shit because they don't have that ELITE Guard !

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 10:39 AM

ROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9415295)
What have Mathew Stafford and Phillip Rivers done for their franchises ??????

Answer: Not shit because they don't have that ELITE Guard !

Pasta Little Brioni 02-19-2013 10:40 AM

PGM sees four options for Mayock after this take:

Retire
Apologize
Pretend
Exit

Rasputin 02-19-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9415284)
There are scary similarities between that Detroit team and this Chiefs team. The glaring need on both teams was/is a QB. I don't recall what other options the Lions had to pursue back then at QB but what I do know is that I want to build a TEAM around Charles. Including our glaring need of getting a solid QB.

I love Charles but you don't build a team around a RB. Get the QB and build the team around the QB imo is the best way and get the QB from the draft. Have your own guy for years to come. RBs are lucky to last five seasons and keep a high level of production up.

AdumbGuy 02-19-2013 10:52 AM

Guys, guys, Mayock came to me in my sleep and told me why we're drafting a guard first overall. We'll need the greatest guard in the history of the NFL draft for our new offense.

First, we're resigning albert and moving him to guard. But that makes 3 guards starting, what are we going to do with Warmack, you say? Quarterguard!

Who's going to take the handoff? Are they going to punt? Defenses won't know what to do!

**** you Mayock.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9415270)
Sure if the Chiefs evaluate that they're all garbage, then don't do it.

But I find that hard to believe.

More than anything, I think it would be a shame for the Chiefs to walk away from this draft without their top rated QB prospect. They need to make that happen.

The safest way is #1 but it's their call.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9415255)

The lesson is CLEAR.

even then, they at least tried when they selected Andre Ware a year after Sanders. Chiefs are afraid to even try it seems.....

FRCDFED 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9415270)

This is key. The big mystery is who is the number 1 ranked QB on their board and how low are they willing to risk that player falling? If they draft the best QB prospect based on their board and he fails then at least they tried. If they take the perceived BPA with #1 overall and fail to get their top rated QB prospect before round 2 then they are stuck with the third or fourth best option on their board at QB.

BlackHelicopters 02-19-2013 04:18 PM

Mayock or Chris Berman. More annoying?

Brock 02-19-2013 04:23 PM

What is this 1982?

Dayze 02-19-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9416205)
Mayock or Chris Berman. More annoying?

Berman .....hands down.

philfree 02-19-2013 05:08 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...bine-watch-for

By John Clayton | ESPN.com

A star (Utah DT Star Lotulelei) may be one of the top prospects in the 2013 draft, but NFL scouts, coaches and general managers aren't expecting a star-studded group when they converge on Indianapolis this week.

This year's scouting combine lacks offensive sizzle. The quarterbacks don't have top ratings. The receiving talent may not produce many first-round selections, and the same is true of the running backs.

But drafts are the best way to build rosters in these tight salary-cap days, and this year's draft is deep in offensive linemen and good for defensive talent. The 333 players who are invited to the combine have a chance to put on a show.

More and more players are working out for teams, and this year's combine might be the most important. There is no solid top pick in this draft, and many believe it may not be great at the top. But workouts and interviews could cause more players to rise and fall than in normal combines.

Players start arriving Wednesday to prepare for workouts that begin Saturday and end Tuesday.

Here are the top five things to watch for at the combine:

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Bruce SchwartzmanMatt Barkley missed the Senior Bowl with an injury. Will he improve his stock at the combine?

1. Quarterbacks will try to put on a show: Normally, agents instruct the top quarterbacks at a combine to wait until their pro days to throw. Agents prefer that their top quarterbacks have more control over their auditions. Throwing at his own school to his college receivers gives the quarterback the best opportunity to shine. But the quarterback class of 2013 doesn't have that luxury. These quarterbacks keep hearing that their ratings may not merit first-round selection. This group is smart, though. Most of the 16 quarterbacks are thinking about doing all the drills. Geno Smith of West Virginia and Ryan Nassib of Syracuse have said they will throw Sunday. They need to do that. Matt Barkley of Southern California, who won't throw, couldn't play in the Senior Bowl because of a shoulder injury, but the quarterbacks did so poorly at the Senior Bowl that Mel Kiper thought Barkley's stock improved the most. Yes, the others played that poorly. Smith didn't help himself by not attending the Senior Bowl, but he has a chance to shoot up the draft boards if he can wow teams. Mike Glennon of North Carolina State and Tyler Wilson of Arkansas need to be more consistent to persuade teams to take them in the first round. Last year, most of the top quarterbacks didn't work out at the combine, giving Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins the chance to do well. Wilson made the Pro Bowl and was a star. Cousins proved to be a good backup for the Washington Redskins. It has been interesting to see how teams are handling the quarterback position this offseason. In the past week, the Philadelphia Eagles and Buffalo Bills -- two teams expected to make changes at quarterback -- opted to bring back their signal-callers. That doesn't take the Bills and Eagles out of the market of drafting quarterbacks, but it tells you Doug Marrone and Chip Kelly aren't planning to take a rookie quarterback and put him at the front of the rotation.

2. The combine will look like an SEC convention: The SEC has been the dominant conference in college football for years, and the SEC will dominate this combine. Of the 333 players invited to the combine, 73 are from the SEC. LSU will have 13 players in Indianapolis, which isn't a surprise because 11 Tigers underclassmen declared for the draft in January. Alabama has 10 invitations. Georgia has 11. Florida has 10. South Carolina has seven. Texas A&M has six. Some draft experts believe as many as 16 first-rounders could come out of the SEC, and seven SEC players could go in the top 10. The SEC does a great job of assembling talented offensive lines and great athletic defensive players. Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M, an offensive tackle, is a candidate to be the first pick of the draft. Georgia could get linebacker Jarvis Jones in the top 10; linebacker Alec Ogletree and defensive tackle John Jenkins could go in the first round. Cornerback Dee Milliner from Alabama could be the first defensive back taken. LSU has first-round prospects in defensive end Barkevious Mingo, defensive end Sam Montgomery and linebacker Kevin Minter. They might as well put an SEC banner outside Lucas Oil Stadium.

3. How deep is the offensive line pool? Some teams believe the depth of solid offensive linemen could go into the third, fourth and fifth rounds. Although that might not be exciting for NFL fans who follow skill players for their fantasy teams, coaches and general managers love drafts like these, particularly in an era of flat salary caps. Seven starting left tackles are unrestricted free agents. Re-signing them is expensive, sometimes costing more than $10 million a year. This draft is loaded with tackles and could give teams the chance to draft a starter and let an expensive veteran sign with another team. Joeckel, Eric Fisher of Central Michigan and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma are top-10 tackle prospects. Chance Warmack of Alabama is one of the highest-ranked guards to enter the league in years. Teams also are looking for potential starting guards and centers in Rounds 2 through 5. The combine opens with 25 offensive linemen graded to go in the top five rounds, including 14 tackles.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Joe Raymond, FileManti Te'o's news conference will be one of the more anticipated events at the combine.

4. The Manti Te'o news conference: Last year, Robert Griffin III held the most impressive combine news conference I've witnessed in 23 years of covering the combine. He was engaging, personable and smart. Griffin showed great poise in answering questions and handled football questions intelligently. Te'o will be holding one of the most important news conferences in combine history. During Notre Dame's undefeated regular season, Te'o often discussed the death of his girlfriend. But it turns out she never existed. Te'o now describes it as an online-only relationship and says he was the victim of a hoax. He will have to answer the national media's questions about what happened and address it with every team in interviews. Most people believe his draft stock won't drop because of the incident, but that could change if he doesn't handle the combine well.

5. Setting the negotiating stage for free agency: Most combines occur within days of the start of free agency. This year is different. Free agency doesn't begin until March 12. Because of that gap, most agents don't think a lot of re-signings will happen during this year's combine. That won't stop teams from trying to get deals done. General managers and negotiators will be busy. Teams can start designating franchise players this week. Negotiations will be conducted to get teams under the cap. Players will be released. Trades can't be formalized until March 12, but deals can be discussed to set up potential trades.
----

In a super deep year for OTs (FAs as well as draft prospects) we should pass on a QB (which we don't have) for a LT? Seems alot of people who play draft guru for a living have lost their minds.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-19-2013 05:32 PM

It figures we'd land 1.1 in the Year of the Fatty draft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-19-2013 05:33 PM

did the hunt family do something to really piss off God? I demand a thorough inventory.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 02-19-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9416456)
In a super deep year for OTs (FAs as well as draft prospects) we should pass on a QB (which we don't have) for a LT? Seems alot of people who play draft guru for a living have lost their minds.

LOGIC!

:clap::clap::clap:

BlackHelicopters 02-19-2013 05:47 PM

Chiefs and a Royals fan. Thanks dad.

O.city 02-19-2013 05:48 PM

So in one of the deepest OL drafts in forever, Mayock thinks we should take a G at 1?

jspchief 02-19-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9416590)
So in one of the deepest OL drafts in forever, Mayock thinks we should take a G at 1?

You have to understand, the dropoff from a great guard to an OK guard is so huge. it's not like QBs

philfree 02-19-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9416552)
LOGIC!

:clap::clap::clap:

I keep telling myself that the media is just stonewalling and then as the draft gets near Smith and at least one more QB will have a meteoric climb up the draft boards. It'll make for some nice draft drama but in the end we'll draft the best QB/Geno Smith. Meanwhile we'll be drivin nuts by it on Chiefs Planet.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-19-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9416606)
I keep telling myself that the media is just stonewalling and then as the draft gets near Smith and at least one more QB will have a meteoric climb up the draft boards. It'll make for some nice draft drama but in the end we'll draft the best QB/Geno Smith. Meanwhile we'll be drivin nuts by it on Chiefs Planet.

pretty much this.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR 02-19-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9415299)
PGM sees four options for Mayock after this take:

Retire
Apologize
Pretend
Exit

What are you? The Dan Brown of hurtful words?

notorious 02-19-2013 09:53 PM

I only have one option for Mayock: Kill Yourself

Psyko Tek 02-19-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9415006)
Dante84 has seen 4 reposts about this.

who has?

Psyko Tek 02-19-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9415026)
Whats an "offensive live"?

Casserole throwing over the head of the receivers

chagrin 02-19-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9415050)
Then of course the Chiefs will make history once again much like going 8 games with out having a single lead.

Isn't it kinda understood that we're not going to be chasing a super bowl next year? We finally have some smarts in the front office and in the new HC, let it play out - that's how I see it anyway. I'm glad to finally have a good mind leading the team on the field.

Hoover 02-19-2013 11:09 PM

What in the Fu@k would we do with another guard? If there is one position that I'm fine with it's guard.