ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Need Help-Wife wants to purhcase a "Rat" Dog (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269340)

ThatRaceCardGuy 01-26-2013 12:05 PM

Need Help-Wife wants to purhcase a "Rat" Dog

The wife is dead set on purchasing a "rat" dog. Personally, I feel toy dogs serve no purpose; specifically breed to sit on laps and ride along in purses and tote bags. Guys, I'm a big black man-this shit wont look right when I'm forced to walk "it."

I need to know what I can do to change her mind . Ive offered diamonds, trips, hell I even told her she has first dibs on the REMOTE for the remainder of the year!! Ive only owned American Bulldogs, Labs, German Shepherds and Pitts...there is no way in hell I going to end up all over the web as some meme when someone catches my big ass in public walking this dog!!

Thank you in advance!

RealSNR 01-26-2013 12:07 PM

If you posted pics, we might be able to better gauge how you should best approach her

houstonwhodat 01-26-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 9352558)
The wife is dead set on purchasing a "rat" dog. Personally, I feel toy dogs serve no purpose; specifically breed to sit on laps and ride along in purses and tote bags. Guys, I'm a big black man-this shit wont look right when I'm forced to walk "it."

I need to know what I can do to change her mind . Ive offered diamonds, trips, hell I even told her she has first dibs on the REMOTE for the remainder of the year!! Ive only owned American Bulldogs, Labs, German Shepherds and Pitts...there is no way in hell I going to end up all over the web as some meme when someone catches my big ass in public walking this dog!!

Thank you in advance!

Aw man you'll love it.

Get one that doesn't shed like a Bichon Frise or a Maltese.

Lap dogs are great friends.

Just don't get a yappy one.

Chief Pote 01-26-2013 12:10 PM

This might bring you down a peg or two...seems like you have a "tude"?

ThatRaceCardGuy 01-26-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9352564)
If you posted pics, we might be able to better gauge how you should best approach her

Not posting pics of my wife-but she is pretty hot-floppynuts can vouch for that. She looks like Gina from Martin except she is pretty ample up top :clap::clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9352565)
Aw man you'll love it.

Thats what I'm secretly afraid of :huh:

notorious 01-26-2013 12:12 PM

Tell her that you will practice your punting technique on the new rat.

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:12 PM

"You get your dog - I get mine..."

BigBeauford 01-26-2013 12:12 PM

I have two dachshunds. Best dogs I have ever had, and they don't act like small dogs.

ThatRaceCardGuy 01-26-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9352577)
Tell her that you will practice your punting technique on the new rat.

:LOL::thumb:

rockymtnchief 01-26-2013 12:12 PM

I'm a big dog man also. However, I have friends with Jack Russel terriers that are pretty damn manly for being small. My buddies dog actually gets depressed if it doesn't kill something everyday. Mice, snakes, gophers...you name it, he'll kill it. Then it goes inside and snuggles with the family.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UoV_AoBOv4...ll_Terrier.jpg

Mr. Laz 01-26-2013 12:13 PM

I dunno that you can change a woman's mind once it gets hooked on it.

just make sure she knows that you aren't feeding,watering or walking it if she wants it.

rockymtnchief 01-26-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9352580)
I have two dachshunds. Best dogs I have ever had, and they don't act like small dogs.

I dog-sit a dachsund a couple times a year. He's a gopher/squirrel killing legend.

notorious 01-26-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9352584)
I dunno that you can change a woman's mind once it gets hooked on it.

just make sure she knows that you aren't feeding,watering or walking it if she wants it.

Ya right.

That dog will create more problems between a couple that he can possibly understand.

blaise 01-26-2013 12:15 PM

It just depends on the dog, really. If you get a noisy stupid little dog it'll be irritating. But I had a Jack Russell for 10 years and it wasn't yippie or stupid. It was actually a cool little dog. We had two pit bulls, too, and the Jack Russell would get out and play and run with them.

ThatRaceCardGuy 01-26-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9352582)
I'm a big dog man also. However, I have friends with Jack Russel terriers that are pretty damn manly for being small. My buddies dog actually gets depressed if it doesn't kill something everyday. Mice, snakes, gophers...you name it, he'll kill it. Then it goes inside and snuggles with the family.

I love Jack Russels-smart dogs too! I tried offering up a Jack Russell, that was a big no-go.

notorious 01-26-2013 12:18 PM

Jack Russels are considered toy dogs?

They are OK in my book.

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:19 PM

I've always been a fan of Yorkshire Terriers.

Yes, they can be energetic pains in the azz but they work great as an early warning system. Their hearing is uncanny...

Bwana 01-26-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 9352593)
I love Jack Russels-smart dogs too! I tried offering up a Jack Russell, that was a big no-go.

So what exactly is she looking at?

Prison Bitch 01-26-2013 12:21 PM

Big dogs take huge craps. That sucks

rockymtnchief 01-26-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 9352593)

WHAT???? Is your wife the debil? :p May the tears of this Jack Russel cleanse her soul.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-malbxmCEY_...rier-Puppy.jpg

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9352605)
So what exactly is she looking at?

Buttseggs and compromise...

blaise 01-26-2013 12:28 PM

We have a little dog now. I don't know, maybe 14 pounds. It's pretty cool. It's some sort of mutt. It looks sort of like a tiny black lab. We got it from a shelter. I don't think I would have wanted some pure-bred thing. I think they're a little kooky sometimes.

seclark 01-26-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9352587)
I dog-sit a dachsund a couple times a year. He's a gopher/squirrel killing legend.

my father in law used one for coon hunting. was great in brush piles.
sec

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9352622)
We have a little dog now. I don't know, maybe 14 pounds. It's pretty cool. It's some sort of mutt. It looks sort of like a tiny black lab. We got it from a shelter. I don't think I would have wanted some pure-bred thing. I think they're a little kooky sometimes.

Take her to the pound and some mutt will catch her eye she just can't leave there...

RealSNR 01-26-2013 12:32 PM

But seriously, I think people that prefer small dogs to large dogs just simply haven't met the right large dog.

You should both go to the animal shelter. Have her pick out "her" dog, and then you pick out "your" dog. Then decide from there. If you pick out the right large breed dog, I really don't see how she won't change her mind. But at the same time, you can meet her dog and get a better understanding of what she wants. Maybe what she wants isn't all bad.

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9352638)
But seriously, I think people that prefer small dogs to large dogs just simply haven't met the right large dog.

You should both go to the animal shelter. Have her pick out "her" dog, and then you pick out "your" dog.

*Tap Tap*

This thing on?...

Bwana 01-26-2013 12:34 PM

My wife had toy aussie and that was one cool dog. I'm not big on ankle biters, but I warmed up to that one. The thing was very smart, easy to train and ran with my lab and doberman.

<O:p
http://www.breederinfocenter.com/ima...1_094643_1.jpg

KC native 01-26-2013 12:36 PM

I've got a 70 lb pit and a 6 lb Miniature Pinscher. I've always hated little dogs, but the min pin has grown on me. She's actually a cool little dog. She's thinks she's the baddest thing in the world when the Pit is right behind her. When he runs off, she goes to find him.

Min Pins have a LOT of energy but they are fun, hardy little dogs.

houstonwhodat 01-26-2013 12:42 PM

This is what we have.

Bichon Frise

Non-shedding, hypo allergenic

Cost for puppy - $1000.00

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O3ljZHCS7j4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bevischief 01-26-2013 12:45 PM

My 30 pound basset with 1 eye chased/killed everything in the yard. She even chased and trapped the neighbors cat in the shed.

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9352666)
Cost for puppy - $1000.00

:spock:

I'm not spending that on any pet.

Hell, I only dropped $4,500 on a car I bought 10 years ago and still drive...

houstonwhodat 01-26-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9352688)
:spock:

I'm not spending that on any pet.

Hell, I only dropped $4,500 on a car I bought 10 years ago and still drive...

What wifey wants wifey gets.

bevischief 01-26-2013 12:51 PM

I have yet to pay for a dog. Between Craigslist, family and calling local shelters I have gotten my last 4 dogs.

Ceej 01-26-2013 12:53 PM

A small, toy dog?

Do you plan on grilling the pup during your next BBQ?

saphojunkie 01-26-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9352627)
my father in law used one for coon hunting. was great in brush piles.
sec

The dachshund (pronounced docks-hoont) is total badass. originally a German hunting dog. Think about it - "hund" is German for dog or hound. This comes from the Old German word word for hunt. (Dachs means badger - so it's a badger hound or badger dog.)

Their short legs keep their exceptional noses close to the ground. It is virtually impossible for them to lose a scent. They also can get into burrows and flush out prey - those ****ers can dig like crazy. Additionally, they are ****ing badass fighters and will take on all manner of adversary, from snakes to raccoons to possums.

Bob Dole 01-26-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9352592)
It just depends on the dog, really. If you get a noisy stupid little dog it'll be irritating. But I had a Jack Russell for 10 years and it wasn't yippie or stupid. It was actually a cool little dog. We had two pit bulls, too, and the Jack Russell would get out and play and run with them.

Small breeds typically get yappy and stupid because of the way the owner treats them when they are pups. Resist the urge to play tug-of-war or roughhouse with them until they are a year old, and they're usually fine.

Bob Dole had a 4.5 pound chihuahua that acted just like Bob Dole's 95 pound rottie used to act.

COchief 01-26-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9352642)
My wife had toy aussie and that was one cool dog. I'm not big on ankle biters, but I warmed up to that one. The thing was very smart, easy to train and ran with my lab and doberman.

<O:p
http://www.breederinfocenter.com/ima...1_094643_1.jpg

Seconding this, I have a mini and they are awesome dogs. Fast as anything and awesome to train.

LoneWolf 01-26-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9352603)

Yes, they can be energetic pains in the azz but they work great as an early warning system. Their hearing is uncanny...

This. The wife and I have two of them and they are good little dogs. They don't understand that they are small and are very protective of their owners.

31PriestWay 01-26-2013 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 5month old Boston Terrier. Had her for about a month and is a great mix of a play dog/Lap Dog. Very smart dog as well.

chiefzilla1501 01-26-2013 03:35 PM

The plus side is they're easy to take care of. Keep in mind that bigger dogs means longer walks, or else they will drive you absolutely crazy. Lap dogs don't require nearly as much exercise.

I'm stuck on the same situation because. Want a dog, want a bigger dog, but don't have the time to commit to a bigger dog.

demonhero 01-26-2013 03:42 PM

Drug the lap dog until the wife thinks it dead, and then return it to the seller. Get a man's dog some old tires, chains, and a vest.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2013 03:44 PM

Let her have it on the condition that you have zero involvement with it. She cares completely for it.

Stupid worthless dogs.

HemiEd 01-26-2013 03:51 PM

I used to be the same way, German Shepherds or similar, had to be. Then I became comfortable and confident with my masculinity. :D

12 years ago we got a large yorkie, and it became one of the best dogs ever. It doesn't bark in the house.

Now we have two of them, including a small female. She makes my day almost everyday, when I need to smile or laugh, it is easy for her.

Their poop is a lot smaller, and they eat much less as well.

Will they defend us against an intruder? Nope, but plenty of big dogs won't either. Our little one will sure let us know when someone is here though. Their hearts are as big as any dog.

Bottom line, all dogs are awesome, it is just the owners that make some of them hard to be around.

You can't lose, good luck.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9353105)

Bottom line, all dogs are awesome.

Absolutely not true.

Some of these little dogs are annoying little shits with 0 redeeming qualities.

-King- 01-26-2013 03:59 PM

My cousin has a mini schnauzer. Love that thing. Fun, energetic, rarely ever barks, and just a great dog. He always kills a bird or tries to kill some birds whenever I dog sit him and let him outside.

HemiEd 01-26-2013 04:01 PM

No matter what she gets, I highly recommend you have her take it to obedience classes. Usually "Pet Smart" can you hook you up. It will last about 6 weeks, but you will all be much happier in the long run.

HemiEd 01-26-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9353108)
Absolutely not true.

Read the rest of my post, about the owner. Dogs can sense people, and whether they can trust you or not.

Putting peanut butter on your junk and having them pleasure you is not being a good dog owner.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9353160)
Read the rest of my post, about the owner. Dogs can sense people, and whether they can trust you or not.

Putting peanut butter on your junk and having them pleasure you is not being a good dog owner.

I love dogs and am always very kind to them. Usually get along well with them.

I have encountered two toy dogs in my life and both were annoying, high strung and worthless and were absolute terrors to be around. Would not settle down, needy, constantly wanting attention, getting all up in my shit.

Anything smaller than a beagle needs to die.

chiefzilla1501 01-26-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Absolutely not true.

It is been my experience that most annoying dogs are a product of their owners. Especially ones that coddle the shit out of them.

HemiEd 01-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9353164)

I have encountered two toy dogs in my life and both were annoying, high strung and worthless and were absolute terrors to be around. Would not settle down, needy, constantly wanting attention, getting all up in my shit.

You haven't been around a little dog that was trained or raised right then. I have been around dogs like you talk about, and it usually takes a couple of encounters, then they are cool when I am around them.

My boss has two white maltese that were that way, now when she brings them in, they run to my office without making a sound, then roll over for a belly rub.

chiefzilla1501 01-26-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9353174)
You haven't been around a little dog that was trained or raised right then. I have been around dogs like you talk about, and it usually takes a couple of encounters, then they are cool when I am around them.

My boss has two white maltese that were that way, now when she brings them in, they run to my office without making a sound, then roll over for a belly rub.

Yup. Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. Pit bulls and Doberman are phenomenal dogs, but when owned by douche bags, they become assholes. It just so happens that aggressive owners can tend to migrate to aggressive breeds and toy dogs can migrate to pampering owners. But the majority of these dogs are phenomenal breeds raised by an owner who treats the dog normally or better.

Lumpy 01-26-2013 04:14 PM

If your dog is small enough to fit in one of those doggy handbags, it's pretty worthless. That's JMO.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9353174)

According to what I was told this dog was like this all the time.

Yes it may have a lot to do with the owners. But little dogs are more prone to this kind of behavior.

Do not want.

HemiEd 01-26-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9353192)
According to what I was told this dog was like this all the time.

Yes it may have a lot to do with the owners. But little dogs are more prone to this kind of behavior.

Do not want.

I agree with you on this for the most part, they can be ruined. Over the years, we have only had one dog that I gave up on. It was an English Setter that had been abused and mis-treated. It just didn't like being treated good.

This is why I recommended the obedience training. If one of our dogs is not hospitable to a visitor, my wife will just point at it, and tell it to go to bed. Done.

Dallas Chief 01-26-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Absolutely not true.

Cockblockers of the worst kind tbh...:mad:

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-26-2013 05:50 PM

I like small dogs except after about two hundred yards they're hard to see in the crosshairs.

Molitoth 01-26-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Nice looking dog!

Here is my Jack Russel and she is a pure badass.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7691/belletkt.jpg

mikey23545 01-26-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9352603)

Yorkies are smart as hell, and great little buddies...:thumb:

mikey23545 01-26-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9353618)
I like small dogs except after about two hundred yards they're hard to see in the crosshairs.

Oh come on...Even a pinhead like yours is still easy to see at two hundred yards.

houstonwhodat 01-26-2013 06:48 PM

I heard Michael Vick has a kennel somewhere....

HemiEd 01-26-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9353632)

That is one of the ways they make me smile or laugh everyday, always doing something to surprise me on how smart they are.

The reason for us getting the first one 12 years ago, was ease of travel.

PornChief 01-26-2013 07:25 PM

lapdogs muster reindeer don't they

htismaqe 01-26-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9353632)

Annoying as **** and mean to all of the other animals in the house.

I will never own another Yorkie.

Frazod 01-26-2013 08:03 PM

I typically despise rat dogs, but my sister-in-law has one that's actually quiet and well-behaved. It's definitely far less annoying than my brother-in-law. I wish he'd take a hint.

Dunerdr 01-26-2013 08:14 PM

Had the same problem talked my wife into a french brittany spaniel shes got long hair and girly looks but still hunts so we broke even and shes 30lbs big enough to play with my 58lb american brittany but small enough to be relevant in the womanly realm. Good luck man your gonna need it!http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...A41D5CD70B.jpg
Either way your dogs gonna end up in pink wich sucks!

Ace Gunner 01-26-2013 08:20 PM

rats are cheap & cheap to feed too.
http://soupemes.files.wordpress.com/...1/poltowel.jpg

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 08:22 PM

Standard Schnauzer

They're smart, easy to train, great family dog....will cuddle up next to you but it also independent when it needs to be. They're not small to where you're afraid you'll step on it or they're not big to where they're a pain in the house. They're about a 35-40lb dog. You can play rough w/ them and they love to be active.

Only bad thing (if you think it's a bad thing) they're a territorial dog. They'll go nuts when someone's at the door. That's just in their nature...I've had 2 of them....both did the same thing, I don't think it's something you can train, it's in their blood.

Phobia 01-26-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9352565)
Aw man you'll love it.

Yep. This. I had only owned retrievers my whole life when my wife brought a Maltese home. Little guy was so much fun and his shit basically disappears into the grass. That's the best part. No more pooper scooping.

Phobia 01-26-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9353925)
Annoying as **** and mean to all of the other animals in the house.

I will never own another Yorkie.

We own a Morkie now. He was awful until our Maltese died. Now he's the perfect pet. Only barks when somebody is milling around outside or somebody is at the door. Great dog. But if you had asked me 6 months ago, we were ready to give him away.

Phobia 01-26-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9353164)

Is that counting our Maltese you met several years ago?

htismaqe 01-26-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9354004)
We own a Morkie now. He was awful until our Maltese died. Now he's the perfect pet. Only barks when somebody is milling around outside or somebody is at the door. Great dog. But if you had asked me 6 months ago, we were ready to give him away.

Yeah, they pretty much require that they're the only pet. ****ing jealous and possessive.

Hammock Parties 01-26-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9354005)
Is that counting our Maltese you met several years ago?

I don't even remember your Maltese. But the two dogs that annoyed the shit out of me were even smaller than that thing.

sd4chiefs 01-26-2013 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Cairn Terrier is a great dog. Fearless, friendly, funny, smart.

htismaqe 01-26-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 9354034)
My Cairn Terrier is a great dog. Fearless, friendly, funny, smart.

My moms Cairn is one tough little bitch. Seen he fight raccoons, dogs three times her size, and people.

She is awesome but she's another alpha pet that doesn't like other animals in the house.

Phobia 01-26-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9354028)
Yeah, they pretty much require that they're the only pet. ****ing jealous and possessive.

But his behavior didn't really indicate he was jealous. He just wasn't affectionate, didn't want to play with us, and didn't make any effort to communicate - until the old dog died. It was the strangest dynamic.

htismaqe 01-26-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9354040)
But his behavior didn't really indicate he was jealous. He just wasn't affectionate, didn't want to play with us, and didn't make any effort to communicate - until the old dog died. It was the strangest dynamic.

Yeah, that's weird.

Our Yorkie attacked pretty much anything on 4 legs. Our chihuahua would hide so he didn't have to deal with her. She drew blood on a cat more than once. And my catahoula tried to swallow her whole after she blindly attacked him.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-26-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Brutha, I am your size, albeit white, and got one of these. This is your compromise. Great great dog. Otherwise, ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts 01-26-2013 09:07 PM

Oh and yeah. His wife is hot. Both of us outkicked our coverage.

Molitoth 01-26-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9354063)
Brutha, I am your size, albeit white, and got one of these. This is your compromise. Great great dog. Otherwise, ROFL

Yeah! Jack Russels and Fox Terriers are great compromises for a guy who wants a manly dog and a women who wants a smaller type dog.

Here is a fox terrier like the one I used to have, and he was so awesome. So smart and fearless.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-albMGlpEPH...ox-Terrier.jpg

-King- 01-26-2013 09:20 PM

I don't really like big dogs other than Boxers and Rotts. I like terrier - Schnauzer sized dogs for the most part.