ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV oscar nominations (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268706)

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 08:32 AM

oscar nominations

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...rd-nominations

Quote:

Complete list of 85th Annual Academy Award nominations announced Thursday:

1. Best Picture: "Amour," "Argo," "Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Django Unchained," "Les Miserables," "Life of Pi," "Lincoln," "Silver Linings Playbook," "Zero Dark Thirty."

2. Actor: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"; Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"; Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"; Denzel Washington, "Flight."

3. Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"; Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"; Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Naomi Watts, "The Impossible."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Argo"; Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"; Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"; Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "The Master"; Sally Field, "Lincoln"; Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"; Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"; Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook."

6. Directing: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"; Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour," Austria; "Kon-Tiki," Norway; "No," Chile; "A Royal Affair," Denmark; "War Witch," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo"; Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; David Magee,
"Life of Pi"; Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

9. Original Screenplay: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"; John Gatins, "Flight"; Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, "Moonrise Kingdom"; Mark Boal, "Zero Dark Thirty."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave"; "Frankenweenie"; "ParaNorman"; "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"; "Wreck-It Ralph."

12. Cinematography: "Anna Karenina," "Django Unchained," "Life of Pi," "Lincoln," "Skyfall."

15. Original Score: "Anna Karenina," Dario Marianelli; "Argo," Alexandre Desplat; "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna; "Lincoln," John Williams; "Skyfall," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice," J. Ralph; "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from "Ted," Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane; "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri; "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth; "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables," Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil.

18. Documentary Feature: "5 Broken Cameras," "The Gatekeepers," "How to Survive a Plague," "The Invisible War," "Searching for Sugar Man."

QuikSsurfer 01-10-2013 09:07 AM

Moonrise Kingdom needs to be up for Best Picture, IMO.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

Rise of the Gaurdians got jobbed. Id put it ahead of Brave and Pirates Band of Misfits.

I see alot of childrens films having young kids. : )

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2013 09:12 AM

Les Mis best picture? Bradley Cooper best actor.

Oscar has jumped the shark.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:14 AM

Django, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were good enough for best picture but not director?

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9302499)

Silver Linings Playbook running away with nominations is just bizarre...and sad

I'm actually surprised django was recognized

very happy to see beasts of the southern wild nominated

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9302514)
Silver Linings Playbook running away with nominations is just bizarre...and sad

I havent seen it, but i hear its very good. David O Russel is a critical darling.

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302518)
I havent seen it, but i hear its very good. David O Russel is a critical darling.

i'm sure it is fine...but it's a fairly generic story about attractive white people

risk factor 0

just not what i personally want to see rewarded with the most prestigious honor in the industry...

PunkinDrublic 01-10-2013 09:36 AM

The Master needs to be up for best picture. Very under appreciated movie.

Frazod 01-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

I agree with Hathaway getting nominated, and I'd be shocked if she didn't win (same with Day-Lewis). Jackman.... maybe. Personally I would have rather seen Redmayne get a supporting nod.

Personally I thought Crowe's uber-suck dragged the entire thing down too far to rate a nomination, and I'd be shocked if it won. Of course, Godfather Part III was nominated despite Soffia Coppola's odious performance. Didn't win, though.

kcpasco 01-10-2013 10:05 AM

Dicaprio still getting jobbed I see.

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 9302651)
Dicaprio still getting jobbed I see.

he was better than waltz, imo...

Reaper16 01-10-2013 10:09 AM

Dude. Knock it off.

Red Brooklyn 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

The direction is one of the strongest aspects of Argo. The pace and tension are outstanding. But I wasn't impressed by Afleck's performance. It was fine; serviceable. But nothing extremely award worthy about it, in my opinion.

So glad Beasts of the Southern Wild is getting the love it deserves.

I totally see nominating Les Mis. It's a solid movie that breaks into transcendence at times. Hathaway, Seyfried, Barks, Redmayne, Jackman (though vocally strident) are all outstanding. Hooper's direction is beautiful as well.

Frazod 01-10-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9303101)
The direction is one of the strongest aspects of Argo. The pace and tension are outstanding. But I wasn't impressed by Afleck's performance. It was fine; serviceable. But nothing extremely award worthy about it, in my opinion.

So glad Beasts of the Southern Wild is getting the love it deserves.

I totally see nominating Les Mis. It's a solid movie that breaks into transcendence at times. Hathaway, Seyfried, Barks, Redmayne, Jackman (though vocally strident) are all outstanding. Hooper's direction is beautiful as well.

After a second viewing of Les Miserables, I'm a bit more critical of Jackman's signing ability. Bring Him Home, while not nearly as cringe-inducing as anything Crowe did, was still pretty painful. That was the only part he really butchered, but it was Valjean's main song.

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9303148)
After a second viewing of Les Miserables, I'm a bit more critical of Jackman's signing ability. Bring Him Home, while not nearly as cringe-inducing as anything Crowe did, was still pretty painful. That was the only part he really butchered, but it was Valjean's main song.

I think I mentioned that in the movie thread. The main problem is he sang it full voice instead of using his falsetto. That song is supposed to be a prayer, and it's written very delicately. He performed it with the subtlety of a chainsaw.

Red Brooklyn 01-10-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9303169)
I think I mentioned that in the movie thread. The main problem is he sang it full voice instead of using his falsetto. That song is supposed to be a prayer, and it's written very delicately. He performed it with the subtlety of a chainsaw.

Exactly.

I thought Jackman's singing overall was pretty weak. Which surprised me. Because I know he can sing. His first song was great. And his last song was great. Everything else was wonky.

But the performance, otherwise, is solid.

Amnorix 01-10-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9303148)

He more or less butchered every song. I really like Hugh Jackman, but he just should not have been cast in that role. His acting is very good, but his singing is very bad.

I don't really require Colm Wilkinson, but he just . . . wasn't good.

I thought, conversely, that Anne Hathway was great. Her singing wasn't the best, but it was good enough, and her acting was very powerful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qsYnhVITf9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9303229)
He more or less butchered every song. I really like Hugh Jackman, but he just should not have been cast in that role. His acting is very good, but his singing is very bad.

I thought, conversely, that Anne Hathway was great. Her singing wasn't the best, but it was good enough, and her acting was very powerful.

Colm Wilkinson is really good, and he originated the role, of course. But this is my favorite Bring Him Home - Alfie Boe from the 25th anniversary. He's just stupidly talented.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UaI9BPKhExk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9303229)

Colm was busy being ridiculously underused as the priest.

underEJ 01-10-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302494)
Rise of the Gaurdians got jobbed. Id put it ahead of Brave and Pirates Band of Misfits.

I see alot of childrens films having young kids. : )

Thank you! I worked on it, and in a field of 3 nominees, I'd have shrugged off the snub, but in an unprecedented in recent times field of 5, it's really disappointing. I'm glad some one enjoyed it!

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 9303993)
Thank you! I worked on it, and in a field of 3 nominees, I'd have shrugged off the snub, but in an unprecedented in recent times field of 5, it's really disappointing. I'm glad some one enjoyed it!

For real? Me and my kids loved the movie. Like i said, its better than Brave or The Pirates flick. Just my 2 cents.

underEJ 01-10-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9304017)
For real? Me and my kids loved the movie. Like i said, its better than Brave or The Pirates flick. Just my 2 cents.

Yep. I worked on the lighting, making it pretty.

mnchiefsguy 01-10-2013 07:07 PM

So we can all agree that Les Mis was not worthy of its best picture nomination?

Sully 01-10-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

I agree with both nominations.
I thought Cooper was absolutely great in that film.

keg in kc 01-10-2013 07:29 PM

Jesus, I can't believe how much talk there is about a flippin musical in here. Do we need to open up a new subforum on doilies or something?

I would say I can't believe Bigelow didn't get a director not, but unfortunately I can, because it's hard to get the old white man club to recognize women for anything. Planning on seeing ZDT this weekend, so we'll see if it's as good as everyone says.

Frazod 01-10-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9304121)
Jesus, I can't believe how much talk there is about a flippin musical in here. Do we need to open up a new subforum on doilies or something?

I would say I can't believe Bigelow didn't get a director not, but unfortunately I can, because it's hard to get the old white man club to recognize women for anything. Planning on seeing ZDT this weekend, so we'll see if it's as good as everyone says.

Meh. You should try adding a little culture to you life. It might improve your character. :)

keg in kc 01-10-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9304154)
Meh. You should try adding a little culture to you life. It might improve your character.

I just can't stand singing.

Unless it's jazz.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Do we need to open up a new subforum on doilies or something?

That's a great idea! New you prefer new school or old school musicals?
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod 01-10-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9304158)
I just can't stand singing.

Unless it's jazz.

I'm reminded of Nazir from the Dark Brotherhood when I read your posts. "I particularly hate jesters. All that singing.... and mirth." :D

KurtCobain 01-10-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9304175)
That's a great idea! New you prefer new school or old school musicals?
Posted via Mobile Device

High School.

keg in kc 01-10-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9304192)
I'm reminded of Nazir from the Dark Brotherhood when I read your posts. "I particularly hate jesters. All that singing.... and mirth." :D

I have no idea who that is. Although Dr. Google tells me it's from Skyrim.

I love all kinds of stuff, books and movies and music and plays. But for some reason I just can't ****ing stand opera or musicals. I listen to hours and hours of orchestral music. I even listen to choral music, like say, Benjamin Britten's War Requiem or Krzysztof Penderecki's Polish Requiem (seriously, listen to that if you don't know it), but start some opera or a musical and I'll tune out in about 3 seconds flat.

No idea why.

Frazod 01-10-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9304216)
I have no idea who that is. Although Dr. Google tells me it's from Skyrim.

I love all kinds of stuff, books and movies and music and plays. But for some reason I just can't ****ing stand opera or musicals. I listen to hours and hours of orchestral music. I even listen to choral music, like say, Benjamin Britten's War Requiem or Krzysztof Penderecki's Polish Requiem (seriously, listen to that if you don't know it), but start some opera or a musical and I'll tune out in about 3 seconds flat.

No idea why.

You haven't played Skyrim? Really?

keg in kc 01-10-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9304221)
You haven't played Skyrim? Really?

Didn't even buy it. They lost me with Oblivion.

Frazod 01-10-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9304224)
Didn't even buy it. They lost me with Oblivion.

It's much better than Oblivion (nothing like those annoying gates that kept popping up in this one). The scope is mind-boggling. I've played over 800 hours and I'm stilling playing, still enjoying it and still finding stuff I hadn't found before.

keg in kc 01-11-2013 03:21 PM

ILM sizzle reel for The Avengers. Very cool stuff:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MnQLjZSX7xM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-11-2013 03:23 PM

Honest titles and posters: http://twentytwowords.com/2013/01/11...-best-picture/

http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-con...nations-07.jpg

mikeyis4dcats. 01-11-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

+1.

I like music, I like plays. HATE musicals.

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 01:34 AM

Just finished Silver Linings Playbook. Very good movie.

Jennifer Lawrence is awesome.

Fairplay 01-12-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302505)
Django, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were good enough for best picture but not director?

As a rule if the movie is up for Best picture but not director it won't win.

Fairplay 01-12-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Interestingly I can go out to the Starlight theater and watch a live musical performance and get into it but if its in a movie format I have little or no interest in seeing it.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9307438)
Interestingly I can go out to the Starlight theater and watch a live musical performance and get into it but if its in a movie format I have little or no interest in seeing it.

Movie musicals - especially movie versions of established stage musicals - are usually a disaster. This one is not.

Deberg_1990 01-12-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 9307433)
As a rule if the movie is up for Best picture but not director it won't win.

I'm pretty certain Lincoln is gonna win best picture.

Hollywood loves the Well done historical epic. Especially one with social aspects and messages.

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9307747)
I'm pretty certain Lincoln is gonna win best picture.

Hollywood loves the Well done historical epic. Especially one with social aspects and messages.

Tried to watch that last week. Boring as ****.

DaveNull 01-12-2013 10:03 AM

I thought lincoln was great, but am hoping it goes to Argo.

Anything but Le Mis.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 11:16 AM

I wouldn't cry if Argo won. I certainly think it's better than Les Mis (and I really liked Les Mis). But I'm routing for Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

One thing that hurts Argo's chances is the lack of a Best Director nom for Affleck.

KurtCobain 01-12-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9307878)
I wouldn't cry if Argo won. I certainly think it's better than Les Mis (and I really liked Les Mis). But I'm routing for Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

One thing that hurts Argo's chances is the lack of a Best Director nom for Affleck.

Huge snub there.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9307916)
Huge snub there.

Agreed. The direction is probably the film's biggest strength. Affleck is a real talent behind the lens.

Frazod 01-12-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9307757)
Tried to watch that last week. Boring as ****.

Not enough splosions for you? :facepalm:

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9307792)
I thought lincoln was great, but am hoping it goes to Argo.

Anything but Le Mis.

It drives me crazy that Les Mis is even in the conversation. They made the specific choice to cast actors/actresses with star appeal over, in some cases, picking the one who could perform the role best. Sorry, but if you're going to make a remake, that shit can't go unnoticed. Can understand if they nominate performances in the movie. But it's a joke for that to be in the running for best picture.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308213)
It drives me crazy that Les Mis is even in the conversation. They made the specific choice to cast actors/actresses with star appeal over, in some cases, picking the one who could perform the role best. Sorry, but if you're going to make a remake, that shit can't go unnoticed. Can understand if they nominate performances in the movie. But it's a joke for that to be in the running for best picture.

Well, it isn't really a remake. It's the first time the musical has been adapted into a film.

But I don't understand your argument. It's a joke to be in the running because it's adapted and because there are big stars in it?

Hootie 01-12-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9302491)

maybe I just don't like Wes Anderson but I thought this movie was one of the worst, most pointless movies I have ever seen

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9308201)
Not enough splosions for you? :facepalm:

I literally fell asleep.

Maybe Michael Bay should have made it... :)

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9308231)
maybe I just don't like Wes Anderson but I thought this movie was one of the worst, most pointless movies I have ever seen

I liked it. Probably my second favorite of his movies. But if you're not a fan of his style, it makes sense that you wouldn't like MK.

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9302491)

Holy crap that movie sucked.

Very disappointing. I expected much more.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:22 PM

One of the problems I've always had with the Oscars is that there doesn't seem to be enough appreciation for a good comedy script. Thought Safety Not Guaranteed was one of the cleverest scripts this year. I'm shocked it didn't get nominated at all.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9308228)
Well, it isn't really a remake. It's the first time the musical has been adapted into a film.

But I don't understand your argument. It's a joke to be in the running because it's adapted and because there are big stars in it?

There are actors in there that were cast for star appeal versus "can they sing well." Russell Crowe is an obvious example.

And my point about it being a remake is that this is a movie that is based on a brilliant book. It has been adapted umpteen times and run on Broadway. If you're going to get nominated for it, it damn well better be ****ing brilliant. Other Oscar nominees and nominee wannabes are relying on highly original scripts.

So yes, it's a joke for this to be nominated. Best performances, yes.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308245)
One of the problems I've always had with the Oscars is that there doesn't seem to be enough appreciation for a good comedy script. Thought Safety Not Guaranteed was one of the cleverest scripts this year. I'm shocked it didn't get nominated at all.

I really wanted to see that.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308251)
There are actors in there that were cast for star appeal versus "can they sing well." Russell Crowe is an obvious example.

And my point about it being a remake is that this is a movie that is based on a brilliant book. It has been adapted umpteen times and run on Broadway. If you're going to get nominated for it, it damn well better be ****ing brilliant. Other Oscar nominees and nominee wannabes are relying on highly original scripts.

So yes, it's a joke for this to be nominated. Best performances, yes.

I agree about some of the casting choices. Most obviously, Crowe, but also Jackman. HBC and SBC also leave a lot to be desired. But I think the rest of the cast nails it. And I'm pulling for Anne to win her category.

I don't really agree about the adaptation element. If you don't think the movie is worthy, that's fine. But that particular aspect of your argument strikes me as a bit strange. Who care if it's adapted, and who cares if it ran on Broadway? This thing is it's own animal, and should be judged on it's own merits (or lack thereof). Which, I admit, may be easier said than done for those who are familiar with the stage version.

I happen to think it deserves to be recognized, but I don't think it deserves a win. I've only seen four of the nominated films, but I think the other three I've seen are much better films.

Reaper16 01-12-2013 02:38 PM

I saw Les Mis last night, finally. I thought it was ****ing terrible in almost every capacity. I'm a huge fan of the musical, so take that for what its worth.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308292)
I saw Les Mis last night, finally. I thought it was ****ing terrible in almost every capacity. I'm a huge fan of the musical, so take that for what its worth.

This film was my first exposure to the musical. I'd never heard the music. Never seen it staged. Never read the book it's based on. Nothing. I knew absolutely zero about the thing.

Probably helped me enjoy it more. And while I think the thing has some major strengths, I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed. My expectations were high. I was expecting a home run. I got a crucial stand-up double that allowed a runner to score.

Deberg_1990 01-12-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308245)

Yea, comedy has always been criminally overlooked. As has pretty much all genre stuff like horror, sci-if, or action movies in general. I think there's a perception those types of movies are not important enough or are not actors showcases. Every now and then something can transcend its genre like Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Dark Knight, etc...

But comedy is hard to break though......ironically, wasn't last years best pic winner the Artist considered a silent comedy?

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9308269)
I agree about some of the casting choices. Most obviously, Crowe, but also Jackman. HBC and SBC also leave a lot to be desired. But I think the rest of the cast nails it. And I'm pulling for Anne to win her category.

I don't really agree about the adaptation element. If you don't think the movie is worthy, that's fine. But that particular aspect of your argument strikes me as a bit strange. Who care if it's adapted, and who cares if it ran on Broadway? This thing is it's own animal, and should be judged on it's own merits (or lack thereof). Which, I admit, may be easier said than done for those who are familiar with the stage version.

I happen to think it deserves to be recognized, but I don't think it deserves a win. I've only seen four of the nominated films, but I think the other three I've seen are much better films.

Because to me, it says a lot about your film when many believe your gazillion dollar production doesn't measure up to Broadway. And if you're filming a musical, you should not be rewarded for purposefully picking a cast based on how much money they'd bring in versus which ones can perform the best.

If you want an adaptation, Skyfall was a very creative twist to traditional Bond movies.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9308342)
Yea, comedy has always been criminally overlooked. As has pretty much all genre stuff like horror, sci-if, or action movies in general. I think there's a perception those types of movies are not important enough or are not actors showcases. Every now and then something can transcend its genre like Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Dark Knight, etc...

But comedy is hard to break though......ironically, wasn't last years best pic winner the Artist considered a silent comedy?

Yup. Really good point. The Academy has a weird love for highly dramatic movies and history movies. Even when we're talking about Best Screenplay, you don't see scripts like 50/50 or Knocked Up in the conversation. Shame, because good, natural dialogue and character development is hard to do.

Reaper16 01-12-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9308269)

Nails it? I thought Amanda Seyfried turned in the worst performance of the film.

Fire Me Boy! 01-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308455)
Nails it? I thought Amanda Seyfried turned in the worst performance of the film.

I wouldn't say "nails it," but Seyfried was fine for the role. Cosette, even in the stage play, is a pretty forgettable role. I thought she was fine.

I genuinely don't know what to say if you think Seyfried was worse than Russel Crowe.

The only people I thought "nailed it" were Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Samantha Barks, and especially Eddie Redmayne.

Demonpenz 01-12-2013 03:53 PM

Why is maximus and wolverine and catwoman singing!!!

Reaper16 01-12-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9308515)
I wouldn't say "nails it," but Seyfried was fine for the role. Cosette, even in the stage play, is a pretty forgettable role. I thought she was fine.

I genuinely don't know what to say if you think Seyfried was worse than Russel Crowe.

The only people I thought "nailed it" were Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter, Samantha Barks, and especially Eddie Redmayne.

Her singing was atrocious. Her singing was worse than Crowe's, yes.

Micjones 01-12-2013 04:13 PM

Denzel turned in maybe the most nuanced performance of his film career.
Happened in the wrong year though. Daniel Day-Lewis has to be the favorite to win Best Actor.

Frazod 01-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308738)

What movie were you watching? She did fine. Crowe's performance was an abomination.

Fire Me Boy! 01-12-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308738)

Wow. Everyone's entitled to his opinion, but you're just wrong with that assessment.

Reaper16 01-12-2013 04:30 PM

Crowe's performance was an abomination. I agree with that. But I'm pretty sure you guys don't have ears. Seyfried was horrendously pitchy. I kept shaking my head 'no' whenever she was singing.

Frazod 01-12-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308829)
Crowe's performance was an abomination. I agree with that. But I'm pretty sure you guys don't have ears. Seyfried was horrendously pitchy. I kept shaking my head 'no' whenever she was singing.

Frankly, I can't remember ever seeing a performance of Cosette that I did like. Agree with FMB that it's a forgettable part, and even when done on stage, the performances tend to come off as shrill and unpleasant, and that's with top level stage people doing it. I thought Seyfried finally brought some humanity to the role.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308455)

That's just not even a little bit true.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9308515)

And I think Cohen (especially) and Bonham Carter are mediocre at best and cringe worthy at worst.

But I also don't care for those characters and their story in general.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9308819)
Wow. Everyone's entitled to his opinion, but you're just wrong with that assessment.

Yeah, she's pitchy at times - usually on the high notes. But other than those very minor moments, she's great. She absolutely does her job.

Frazod 01-12-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308350)
Because to me, it says a lot about your film when many believe your gazillion dollar production doesn't measure up to Broadway. And if you're filming a musical, you should not be rewarded for purposefully picking a cast based on how much money they'd bring in versus which ones can perform the best.

If you want an adaptation, Skyfall was a very creative twist to traditional Bond movies.

I've speculated that the film was specifically intended NOT to measure up to the stage version, simply because if it did, there would be a lot of people who wouldn't continue to drop serious coin to see something that they could pop in their blu-ray player for a one-time payment of $25.

Yes, I'm that cynical. :D

Frazod 01-12-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9308920)
And I think Cohen (especially) and Bonham Carter are mediocre at best and cringe worthy at worst.

But I also don't care for those characters and their story in general.

I'm no fan of Cohen - this is actually the first time I've seen anything he's been in - but I liked the way they were portrayed. On stage they're basically comic relief - in the film, they're much more sinister.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308350)

It's hard for any film experience to live up to a live stage performance. Especially when that stage performance is iconic. This is an incompetent effort.

Other than Jackman and Crowe, who do you think can't sing? And which of those do you imagine the studio cast because they saw dollar signs?

I believe in casting the right person. Crowe is a mistake. Jackman is great in the acting of the role. He just isn't hitting the notes all the time. I would have either arranged the songs in a new key, or cast someone else. But I can't call Jackman an out and out mistake.

Fire Me Boy! 01-12-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9308829)

"Horrendously pitchy" is an overstatement; it's also not a real term. It's an American Idol-ism that has no place in musical discussion, and it tells me you may not know as much as you want us to believe. You and I have had no problems on CP, and I hope it doesn't start here. Of course, I could be wrong, and I'm truly not trying to offend by saying that. I say that hoping you'll be more explicit in what you mean when you say she was "horrendously pitchy." Are you saying she was off-key? She wasn't. Are you saying her performance was flat (as opposed to her pitch being flat)? Yeah, it kinda was, but so is the character. Are you saying she was breathy? She was.

Crowe's tone was swallowed; it's the reason he had no projection and no power, except every now and then when he'd get on top of some of the higher notes.

And the "don't have ears" comment: I realize this is all "internet" talk, so take it for whatever you think or don't think it's worth, but I spent two years in college as vocal performance major, finished with a minor when I switched to the film degree, and was a choir director for three years following college while putting my wife through school.