ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The KC Star website now requires a paid membership (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268425)

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:16 PM

The KC Star website now requires a paid membership

What an absolute crock of shit. You can read the New York Times and Washington Post online, but you have to pay if you want to read the freaking Kansas City Star??? I'm not sure who was behind this stupid business decision, but it's so ridiculous that Scott Pioli must be involved somehow.

Brock 01-03-2013 07:17 PM

We have landed on the MOON

KcMizzou 01-03-2013 07:17 PM

Just a desperation move to try and stay in business. Newspapers are dying.

jd1020 01-03-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9276206)
We have landed on the MOON

http://momentumoffailure.files.wordp...10/10/moon.jpg

hometeam 01-03-2013 07:18 PM

Somebody just buy one and post it all. That'll learn em~

Mr. Laz 01-03-2013 07:19 PM

Q

ILChief 01-03-2013 07:20 PM

Every story I clicked on opened

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-03-2013 07:20 PM

It's because newspapers are bleeding and they're trying new revenue streams. Subscriptions and advertising are down about everywhere because people are going on-line more and more... so they're trying to recoup the money from it.

Bigger city papers like NY have a much larger subscription/advertising base to draw from so they haven't hit on as hard of times yet. Yet.

bevischief 01-03-2013 07:21 PM

I had no problem earlier today.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:22 PM

The good news for the people who pay the membership is that the KC star website traffic will be nonexistent and they'll lose all their advertisers, eliminating all of those annoying popup ads.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9276233)
I had no problem earlier today.

It started within the last hour or so, because I had no problem earlier either. People are already bitching about it on Twitter.

ChiefsCountry 01-03-2013 07:29 PM

Clean out your cookies and you should be able to view articles again.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9276223)

They open, but after about 5 seconds a Press+ membership banner covers the article so that you can't read it.

Chief Roundup 01-03-2013 07:30 PM

Wasn't this talked about several months ago?

ROYC75 01-03-2013 07:36 PM

I use Firefox, it says I have to pay. When I use Google Chrome, it opens.

Figure that one out.

BlackHelicopters 01-03-2013 07:37 PM

No problem yet on iPad.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9276273)
Clean out your cookies and you should be able to view articles again.

Didn't' work. Cleared cookies and still got the banner after about 5 seconds.

Here's Mellinger responding to someone who was bitching about it on Twitter.

Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger

@Jwoody87 @KCStar there's a lot of money and effort put into the product. Should be OK to charge a small fee for that.

Quesadilla Joe 01-03-2013 07:41 PM

Use addblock or NoScript maybe? I didn't have any problems just a second ago.

Chief Roundup 01-03-2013 07:43 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...C+Star+Paywall

Might be some info in this thread that will help you. :shrug:

loochy 01-03-2013 07:44 PM

In other news :

The KC Star website no longer has any traffic.

JoeyChuckles 01-03-2013 07:45 PM

You gotta pay to play.

ILChief 01-03-2013 07:58 PM

How much is it?

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 07:58 PM

I did a Google search, came up with this post, followed the advice and it worked. I use Firefox as my browser, and when I switched it to private browsing I was able to access the articles without the banner blocking me.

Ben says:
"December 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

BYPASS PAYWALL
Just use the private browsing function of your browser. It bypasses the paywall. LOL."

wazu 01-03-2013 08:08 PM

I think it makes sense. Why should they give it for free? Now, they would have to upgrade the product quite a bit to win my subscription, but if even a small portion of their readers sign up, it's almost certainly worth more than just click-through ads.

FloridaMan88 01-03-2013 08:19 PM

One of the biggest stories in KC sports, in at least a decade is developing in Philly the past few days with Andy Reid and the KC Star has no one on the ground there covering it.

Enough said.

TEX 01-03-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276204)
What an absolute crock of shit. You can read the New York Times and Washington Post online, but you have to pay if you want to read the freaking Kansas City Star??? I'm not sure who was behind this stupid business decision, but it's so ridiculous that Scott Pioli must be involved somehow.

ROFL. :clap:

cosmo20002 01-03-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9276223)

Me too. At at rate of $0, I think I can swing that.

displacedinMN 01-03-2013 09:44 PM

I was upset about the Star too. I look at papers from every place I have lived-all of them are requiring pay now. Who the heck can afford that?

True-papers are dying. But it will come to the point that we won't be able to get any info for free.

I think we said the same thing about TV 20 or more years ago. Now what do we pay for TV.

This world stinks.

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2013 09:48 PM

The KC Star employs people who depend on the newspaper making money to pay them.

Nobody is entitled to free information.

I get if you think it's a bad business model. But people who bitch about them trying to make money need to just ****ing stop.

alnorth 01-03-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276204)

:spock:

click on a few NY Times articles.

Lemme know what happens the 15th or 20th time. And no, clicking through from google links don't count, just browse the web site.

alnorth 01-03-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276372)
Didn't' work. Cleared cookies and still got the banner after about 5 seconds.

Here's Mellinger responding to someone who was bitching about it on Twitter.

Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger

@Jwoody87 @KCStar there's a lot of money and effort put into the product. Should be OK to charge a small fee for that.

Pay for it, you cheap F'ing bastard.

You wont hear us sympathize about how its so hard to rob the corner store. You can get national news for free? Big woop, no one cares, it costs money to get you local news, if you dont wanna pay for it, then why do you expect to get it?

chiefzilla1501 01-03-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277280)

You wont hear us sympathize about how its so hard to rob the corner store. You can get national news for free? Big woop, no one cares, it costs money to get you local news, if you dont wanna pay for it, then why do you expect to get it?

This. I've made it a point to not get on people's case about it. But I've actually been called out a few times because I post a link, but refuse to copy/cut/paste the article into a thread. It drives me a little bit nuts.

I dont' complain about it because I know I'm guilty of it too. But I don't know what kind of ridiculous people think we live in where a company like the KC Star is going to operate by giving everything away from free. Especially in today's world, where people know that banner advertising is not overly effective.

kcxiv 01-03-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9276286)
They open, but after about 5 seconds a Press+ membership banner covers the article so that you can't read it.

install ad block, works like a champ for tons of websites.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277280)

And if I pay for it? I'm still going to have to sift through tons of annoying popup ads that somehow bypass my popup blocker. That's what all the ads are for, so they don't have to charge readers for content. If they're not profiting from ad revenue alone, then here's a thought--don't let all your good ****ing writers walk. No offense intended to Sam Mellinger.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9277390)
install ad block, works like a champ for tons of websites.

This was bypassing my ad blocker, but I switched to private browsing and that took care of it. So I guess only people who can't Google a solution have to pay--kind of like a stupid person tax, which I have no problem with. They would've just spent that money on lottery tickets and 99-cent cheeseburgers anyway.

kcxiv 01-03-2013 10:12 PM

hmm. i just read an article on there using google chrome and ad block and have had no issues.

There is also a setting within ad block that blocks everything, but you have to manually set it or some ad's will get through.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9277395)
And if I pay for it? I'm still going to have to sift through tons of annoying popup ads that somehow bypass my popup blocker. That's what all the ads are for, so they don't have to charge readers for content. If they're not profiting from ad revenue alone, then here's a thought--don't let all your good ****ing writers walk. No offense intended to Sam Mellinger.

internet ads aren't worth a damn, you idiot. You proved it yourself by describing the lengths you go through to avoid seeing them.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9277423)
hmm. i just read an article on there using google chrome and ad block and have had no issues.

There is also a setting within ad block that blocks everything, but you have to manually set it or some ad's will get through.

eventually they will fix that, too. Then all of you cheap, utterly immoral thieves will be forced to pay.

JohnnyHammersticks 01-03-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277489)
internet ads aren't worth a damn, you idiot. You proved it yourself by describing the lengths you go through to avoid seeing them.

When someone who could presumably live in any state in the country and chooses to live in Iowa calls you an idiot--it really stings, let me tell you.

DaFace 01-03-2013 10:37 PM

Newspapers are barely staying afloat these days. I don't blame them for trying to monetize their content more effectively.

alnorth 01-03-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 9277575)
When someone who could presumably live in any state in the country and chooses to live in Iowa calls you an idiot--it really stings, let me tell you.

whether it stings or not, the fact remains, you... ARE... reeruned

|Zach| 01-03-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

So you are saying...

I won't give you any money!

AND

Spend a bunch of money for better writers!!

Am I right?

TribalElder 01-04-2013 12:41 AM

**** the star I scroll down and read past the ad pop up to login. Then I hit kshb.com

BIG_DADDY 01-04-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9277992)
So you are saying...

I won't give you any money!

AND

Spend a bunch of money for better writers!!

Am I right?

Personally I think most of the media should be forced to shoot themself in the face but maybe it's just me.

clyde05 01-04-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9276351)
No problem yet on iPad.

This

kcxiv 01-04-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9277497)
eventually they will fix that, too. Then all of you cheap, utterly immoral thieves will be forced to pay.

i wont be forced anything, i just wont read. lol

lostcause 01-04-2013 03:44 AM

This is the direction that newspapers online have been headed for a while now. You can probably circumvent it if you wish to, but the reality is that if people don't pay for it then they will go out of business.

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

How in the world do you expect a newspaper to pay for good writers if people are "stealing" good content? You do realize that when they sell banner advertising, you pay for number of impressions or pay-per-click, right? So every time you bypass the banner ad through an ad blocker or every time people copy-cut-paste an article and don't visit the website, you are hurting their ability to make money through online advertising.

cookster50 01-04-2013 06:40 AM

Just hit ESC after the page first loads the article, it'll stop the script that brings the pay banner up.

BlackHelicopters 01-04-2013 07:06 AM

Star is a business in business to stay in business and to make a profit. They do what they must do. They are not a non- profit or a poorly run government program.

Imon Yourside 01-04-2013 07:08 AM

Print media is becoming obsolete, ahh well. Surely they can get all of those annoying ads and not charge like most everyone else yes?