ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs La Canfora: NFL execs believe Polian will land in KC/Eagles eyeing Chip Kelly (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267963)

Quesadilla Joe 12-23-2012 12:05 PM

La Canfora: NFL execs believe Polian will land in KC/Eagles eyeing Chip Kelly

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ja...nfora/21445566

Quote:

Bill Polian expected to get consideration to run Chiefs

Longtime NFL executive Bill Polian will be exploring NFL options in 2013, sources said, and numerous NFL execs believe he could be with the Chiefs next month.

As previously reported, sources said Kansas City's embattled general manager Scott Pioli was offered a contract extension prior to the season but did not sign it, and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is under intense pressure to retool the coaching staff and front office in 2013. Hunt is a private man and sensitive to criticism, according to many who have worked for him.

The 69-year-old Polian is vastly experienced and very hands on, brings immediate credibility and has a high profile that could provide a buffer for Hunt, who does not oversee the day-to-day operations. Polian has succeeded with numerous franchises and with perhaps six GM jobs opening up, this could be a year where several former executives get back in the game.

The Polians and Hunt could be a logical fit, with Polian filling a role similar to the one played by Carl Peterson in Kansas City from 1989-2008. Polian's son Chris, also a former Colts GM, could become involved in personnel with the Chiefs as well.
Quote:

The Philadelphia Eagles will consider Chip Kelly to replace Andy Reid, according to league sources, and multiple executives with rival teams anticipate Philadelphia making a heavy push to land the Oregon head coach.

As previously reported in the space, Kelly will be a hot NFL commodity, and with possible NCAA sanctions looming over Oregon, the noted offensive mind is expected to make the jump to the NFL. The Ducks finish out their season in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl against Kansas State on Jan. 3. The Eagles won't be the only team to contact Kelly, but league sources expect them to be among the first to try to interview him, and believe he could emerge as a quick favorite for the position. The attractiveness of the Eagles job, versus other potential opportunities on Kelly's plate, remains to be seen. Kelly turned down Tampa Bay last offseason after effectively agreeing to take the job, and it's not known how Philly's fluid quarterback situation and organizational structure might factor into his interest there.

Kelly is 45-7 in four years as head coach at Oregon, but has no NFL experience.

The Eagles have not looked to the college ranks for a head coach since hiring Dick Vermeil away from UCLA in 1976. Vermeil led the team to won one of its two Super Bowl appearances to date in his seven seasons with the team (1976-82).

Reid, whose 14-year tenure with the Eagles is believed to be coming to an end, is seeking to coach elsewhere in 2013, and is expected by those close to him to move on regardless of whether Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie wanted him to return.

KCrockaholic 12-23-2012 12:13 PM

If Polian can bring Kelly to KC, then it'll be worth it. As long as Chris isn't a total dumbass.

RealSNR 12-23-2012 12:14 PM

I really hope the Eagles don't get Kelly. They're always going after innovative hires and succeeding more often than not.

In58men 12-23-2012 12:17 PM

He should be on his death bed.

Agent V 12-23-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9234482)
I really hope the Eagles don't get Kelly. They're always going after innovative hires and succeeding more often than not.

**** them. Come here and take the cushy job. It takes, like, 40 years for our fans and media to get angry.

KC kid 12-23-2012 12:47 PM

Bill Polian's drafts in Indianapolis are far from impressive. I dont know.

tredadda 12-23-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9234730)

At least he is not afraid to draft a QB in the first though which is what we need.

KC kid 12-23-2012 01:03 PM

He drafted Peyton Manning. Was that brilliant? Seemed obvious

-King- 12-23-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9234730)

There aren't many teams that had better drafts from '98-2007.

htismaqe 12-23-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9234848)

It wasn't at the time.

In58men 12-23-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Polian doesn't get all the credit for Manning. You have no idea who made the move lol. Quit it.

stonedstooge 12-23-2012 01:09 PM

Dude from Indy on the radio last week said Polian and Pioli both trained at Auswitch. People hate working for Polian too. Chunt to hire another Nazi?

2bikemike 12-23-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

He could have chosen Ryan Leaf over Peyton. Thats what the Chiefs would've done.

The Bad Guy 12-23-2012 01:09 PM

Giving credit to Polian for not being afraid to take a QB in the first, when that QB is Peyton Manning is like saying the guy who asked out Kate Upton had a lot of courage. It's ****ing Peyton Manning.

Polian is terrible.

The Bad Guy 12-23-2012 01:10 PM

I also think a guy like Matt Barkley would be a Polian pick.

In58men 12-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9234909)
I also think a guy like Matt Barkley would be a Polian pick.

I'd puke

aturnis 12-23-2012 01:18 PM

Polian would be epic fail...

The Bad Guy 12-23-2012 01:21 PM

You just can't hire a 70 year old GM. You need someone that's going to be here a long time. The turnover on this team and staff has been incredible over the last 4 years.

They need stability and they have to get this hire right.

Polian offers none of that.

htismaqe 12-23-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9235023)
You just can't hire a 70 year old GM. You need someone that's going to be here a long time. The turnover on this team and staff has been incredible over the last 4 years.

They need stability and they have to get this hire right.

Polian offers none of that.

This.

The Bad Guy 12-23-2012 01:26 PM

Polian also sounds too much like Pioli. Both in name sake and attitude.

**** them both.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-23-2012 01:29 PM

Why would anyone be ok with hiring a 69 year old GM? His five year plan consists of not only winning a Super Bowl, but not dying.

ROYC75 12-23-2012 01:32 PM

No Polian for me .........Just say no, new blood!

Knowing Clark, he will be thinking it's a safe hire, it's not.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-23-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9235079)
No Polian for me .........Just say no, new blood!

Knowing Clark, he will be thinking it's a safe hire, it's not.

I wish we had an owner that knew football and didn't need to bring in a consultant all the damn time. Freaking trust fund babies.

mdchiefsfan 12-23-2012 01:36 PM

Tom Gamble damn it! Not this old **** and his douche bag son.

bevischief 12-23-2012 01:37 PM

DO NOT WANT.

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 01:39 PM

Bill Polian
Chip Kelly
Geno Smith

could be worse

Ace Gunner 12-23-2012 01:40 PM

If Hunt goes with Polian, I'm guessing he's also going with Polian's son to take over after a few seasons.

I still do not think Hunt is going to replace Pioli after the season.

notorious 12-23-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9235098)
Bill Polian
Chip Kelly
Geno Smith

could be worse

Scott Pioli
Todd Haley/Romeo Crennel
Matt Cassel

You are damn right.

bevischief 12-23-2012 01:42 PM

As drag my ass across your carpet,

BigMeatballDave 12-23-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9235099)

If this is true, Clark is the dumbest owner in the NFL.

Ace Gunner 12-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9235131)
If this is true, Clark is the dumbest owner in the NFL.

my opinion since 2008

htismaqe 12-23-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9235099)
If Hunt goes with Polian, I'm guessing he's also going with Polian's son to take over after a few seasons.

Your and idiot.

BossChief 12-23-2012 02:00 PM

I can't believe so many here shit on Bill Polian.

Every team he has ran has been to either the superbowl or conference championship game. Every one of them also had a franchise quarterback that either he drafted or was in place and the guy understands that to win you need to keep putting pieces around him to be able to win big games.

Bill Polian would draft Geno Smith and try his hardest to lock up Bowe and Albert...he wouldn't stop there, either. The guy would be relentless in finding quality receivers and other skill position players to go around the kid to help him succeed.

milkman 12-23-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9235318)
I can't believe so many here shit on Bill Polian.

Every team he has ran has been to either the superbowl or conference championship game. Every one of them also had a franchise quarterback that either he drafted or was in place and the guy understands that to win you need to keep putting pieces around him to be able to win big games.

Bill Polian would draft Geno Smith and try his hardest to lock up Bowe and Albert...he wouldn't stop there, either. The guy would be relentless in finding quality receivers and other skill position players to go around the kid to help him succeed.

Peyton Manning is the only franchise QB he has ever drafted.

He is not looking for a GM job continue his legacy.

He is looking for a GM job to set his son up, who is just ****ing terrible.

RealSNR 12-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9235378)

Yep.

Mother****erJones 12-23-2012 02:09 PM

Everywhere polian goes he succeeded. His philosophy was pay your top 8 players then fill in your roster with mid to late picks

RealSNR 12-23-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9235397)
Everywhere polian goes he succeeded. His philosophy was pay your top 8 players then fill in your roster with mid to late picks

His philosophy is also to hook his worthless sad****rapeshit excuse of a son up with a job

Chiefspants 12-23-2012 02:13 PM

It is the location where half of my "million dollar ideas" are inspired.

ILChief 12-23-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9235445)
His philosophy is also to hook his worthless sad****rapeshit excuse of a son up with a job

Who cares? Just fire the son after Bill retires

FloridaMan88 12-23-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

The Polians and Hunt could be a logical fit, with Polian filling a role similar to the one played by Carl Peterson in Kansas City from 1989-2008
In other words, Clark wants a GM he can hand off all aspects of the franchise's operations to.

Clark is a middle manager, cast as a CEO due to his last name.

Leadership fail.

RealSNR 12-23-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9235458)

It took 2-12 and all kinds of bullshit to fire Pioli. I hope Clark is willing to do the job.

milkman 12-23-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9235458)

If Hunt hires Polian, it's because he's fully aware of the situation, and is buyng into the idea for the sake of stability.

Ace Gunner 12-23-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9235284)
Your and idiot.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/042009/123988..._Game_Nerd.gif

-King- 12-23-2012 02:28 PM

htismaqe 12-23-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 9235468)
In other words, Clark wants a GM he can hand off all aspects of the franchise's operations to.

Clark is a middle manager, cast as a CEO due to his last name.

Leadership fail.

You do realize that COMPETENT CEOs don't meddle in the daily affairs of the business, right?

htismaqe 12-23-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9235493)

I said your and idiot. Are you blind too?

Molitoth 12-23-2012 02:34 PM

I know nothing of polians son. Why does everyone hate him?

BossChief 12-23-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9235378)

IIRC he also drafted Kerry Collins, who lead his team to the conference championship game very early on for an expansion team. Its was only after Polians days there that he went totally downhill.

Lets say this is true, because it probably is (that he is gonna try to set it up for Chris)...that would also give Bill more motivation to make the right moves then, right? Kinda like Chris' nest egg of sorts.

When Bill steps down, he is gonna want to majority of the heavy lifting to have already been done. He will want to be handing over a team with a sub 30 year old franchise quarterback and a good defense.

I guess I don see the downside in all of that.

Lets cross that bridge when we get there.

BossChief 12-23-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9235672)
I know nothing of polians son. Why does everyone hate him?

During the last couple years in Indy, Chris was playing a larger role in the team and didn't do a very good job. He definitely wasn't ready and may not be now, either. Its a legitimate concern....but his dad is one of the better GMs in the league and he absolutely "gets it" in how to build a team from the ground up.

milkman 12-23-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9236013)
During the last couple years in Indy, Chris was playing a larger role in the team and didn't do a very good job. He definitely wasn't ready and may not be now, either. Its a legitimate concern....but his dad is one of the better GMs in the league and he absolutely "gets it" in how to build a team from the ground up.

I don't want a good 2 or 3 year run.

I want sustained success.

To achieve that, you need a guy in charge that will continue to bring in talent after 2 or 3 years.

Rausch 12-23-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9235486)
If Hunt hires Polian, it's because he's fully aware of the situation, and is buyng into the idea for the sake of stability.

Understandable...

mcaj22 12-23-2012 03:19 PM

pretty sure he was letting Chirs do the drafts the last two or 3 years in Indy which is why the picks are so god awful

Bill isnt "setting" him up, he will let him come right in, promote him and let him shuve his stupid face in decision making like draft picks right away, while Bill just handles a smaller role as long as his legacy name is attached to it, his kid gets a free pass.

Theres a reason his kid is at a such an awful lowly position without him right now

BossChief 12-23-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9236080)
I don't want a good 2 or 3 year run.

I want sustained success.

To achieve that, you need a guy in charge that will continue to bring in talent after 2 or 3 years.

If Bill drafts Geno Smith and a few other good starters, Chris' job will be a manageable one. I am still of the opinion that all this team needs is a handful of players (including 2 qbs) and a good coaching staff to quickly turn things around and have sustained success. We have the pieces for a good pass rush, a couple good pieces in the secondary and a handful of good skill position players on o as well as a young, solid offensive line.

Chris' job will be to keep players in house and to hit a few singles anddoubles in the drafts.

silver5liter 12-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9235669)
I said your and idiot. Are you blind too?

He's saying that your "and" is an idiot.

FloridaMan88 12-23-2012 03:37 PM

Keep this simple... NO to Bill Polian

Next.

RealSNR 12-23-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9236231)
If Bill drafts Geno Smith and a few other good starters, Chris' job will be a manageable one. I am still of the opinion that all this team needs is a handful of players (including 2 qbs) and a good coaching staff to quickly turn things around and have sustained success. We have the pieces for a good pass rush, a couple good pieces in the secondary and a handful of good skill position players on o as well as a young, solid offensive line.

Chris' job will be to keep players in house and to hit a few singles anddoubles in the drafts.

That's my biggest worry. I don't think he can even do that.

All of his drafts will be giant wet farts. I can see myself having no confidence whatsoever in anything just like it was when Carl was making picks

aturnis 12-23-2012 03:49 PM

Polian hamstrung Mannings career with shitty defenses. Peyton and Indy should have many more rings.

Tribal Warfare 12-23-2012 03:49 PM

Conforna talking out of bis ass as usual

RealSNR 12-23-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9236316)
Conforna talking out of bis ass as usual

He reported the Pioli extension, didn't he?

I wouldn't trust anything that douchebag says about the Chiefs.

-King- 12-23-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9236314)
Polian hamstrung Mannings career with shitty defenses. Peyton and Indy should have many more rings.

And yet, the reason they didn't have more rings is not because of the defense. But because of Peyton.

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9236314)

Manning hamstrung his own career with his huge contract that didn't allow more talent on the team around him.

King_Chief_Fan 12-23-2012 04:06 PM

any GM change without a HC, OC change is not acceptable.

I want to hear that Crennel and Daboll are out of a job

Sure-Oz 12-23-2012 04:07 PM

Gotta get young on both moves imo.

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9236376)

nah, i don't see any way we change GM's but don't change the coaching staff.

Might change coaches and keep the GM but not the other way around ... just doesn't work that way

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9236380)
Gotta get young on both moves imo.

why does age matter for the GM?

The Bad Guy 12-23-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9236399)
why does age matter for the GM?

Age should absolutely matter for a team that's young. You want a GM that's going to be here 5+ years and a 70 year old does not provide that. How many 80 year old GMs are there?

This organization needs stability. It needs guys that are going to be in place for a while after the debacle that has been the last 4 years.

BossChief 12-23-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

ROFL

You think there is even a 1% chance a new GM is hired is goes with Romeo Crennel as his first head coach?

chagrin 12-23-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

thank you

htismaqe 12-23-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9236512)
ROFL

You think there is even a 1% chance a new GM is hired is goes with Romeo Crennel as his first head coach?

Exactly.

They are going to gut the football side of the operation.

Rausch 12-23-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9236550)
Exactly.

They are going to gut the football side of the operation.

This.

We win.

WE WIN.

DO NOT FORGET TO THANK THOSE WHO CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT HAPPEN...

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-23-2012 05:32 PM

No. Sweet God NO.

And **** you Slappy.:)

DaWolf 12-23-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9236559)
This.

We win.

WE WIN.

We only win if the right choice is made, not if history repeats itself. I truly believe Polian would be a bad hire based on what this franchise needs...

CaliforniaChief 12-23-2012 05:37 PM

Here's a sampling of the stupidity of Chiefs fans taken from comments under the Chiefs' last FB post:

"I say no to geno smith i say we take teo in the 1st and then the qb from kansas state in the 2nd round cuz we now need a milb to"

"We have cap space most in Nfl..We have lots draft pics..Let get Mark Sanchez he needs new scenery.Re sign Dwayne Bowe .We have tAlent to beSt anyone.Let get Brian Billick..We will rise"

"1st round we need running back Monte Ball from Wisconsin, we need to keep our running game stout. Charles is not getting younger . we can get a quality QB in the 2nd round or go after A Smith and Kirk Cousins. We have a stout defense if it isn't broke don't fix it . Now the REAL need GM and COACH !!!!!!!!! GET'EM OUT !!!!!!!"

"Do any of you really think that a high draft pick is really going to fix the problems that they have. What we need is a proven QB, move Crennel to D coord. and trade away the draft picks for offensive linemen and recievers."

"They don't need qb use cassel fire offensive coaching, keep Romeo with defense draft Te'o problems solved playoffs nuff said"

:facepalm:

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-23-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9236580)
Here's a sampling of the stupidity of Chiefs fans taken from comments under the Chiefs' last FB post:

"I say no to geno smith i say we take teo in the 1st and then the qb from kansas state in the 2nd round cuz we now need a milb to"

"We have cap space most in Nfl..We have lots draft pics..Let get Mark Sanchez he needs new scenery.Re sign Dwayne Bowe .We have tAlent to beSt anyone.Let get Brian Billick..We will rise"

"1st round we need running back Monte Ball from Wisconsin, we need to keep our running game stout. Charles is not getting younger . we can get a quality QB in the 2nd round or go after A Smith and Kirk Cousins. We have a stout defense if it isn't broke don't fix it . Now the REAL need GM and COACH !!!!!!!!! GET'EM OUT !!!!!!!"

"Do any of you really think that a high draft pick is really going to fix the problems that they have. What we need is a proven QB, move Crennel to D coord. and trade away the draft picks for offensive linemen and recievers."

"They don't need qb use cassel fire offensive coaching, keep Romeo with defense draft Te'o problems solved playoffs nuff said"

God our fans are so ****ing dumb it hurts.

CaliforniaChief 12-23-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9236603)
God our fans are so ****ing dumb it hurts.

My head is spinning, it's so mind-blowing.

BryanBusby 12-23-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

holy shit LMAO

Is it possible to fire the fanbase, too?

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-23-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 9236618)
holy shit LMAO

Is it possible to fire the fanbase, too?

It's absolutely mind-blowing what almost 40 years of incompetent suck will do to a fan base.

BossChief 12-23-2012 05:55 PM

I swear that 90% of this fan base only watches Chiefs football and has no clue what good football looks like. The only time they get to see a real qb, they HATE HIM because he is always on the other team.

BryanBusby 12-23-2012 05:56 PM

I swear 95% of this fan base watches only Chiefs football and doesn't even know what the **** they are actually seeing.

I mean really:

htismaqe 12-23-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Please stop posting this stuff here. Some of us are avoiding FB for a ****ing reason.