ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Marcus Allen - A Football Life (or YES Al Davis was a retart) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267717)

dtebbe 12-16-2012 01:12 PM

Marcus Allen - A Football Life (or YES Al Davis was a retart)

Pretty awesome show. Just can't believe how damn stupid Al Davis really was..

Here's the open, and it only gets better!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JgyYH_fvy_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MahiMike 12-16-2012 01:14 PM

Watched it last night. I'd forgotten how many stud RB's they tried to replace him with in Oakland. So glad him and Joe gave us a season to remember.

beach tribe 12-16-2012 01:52 PM

Who's that #2 guy in the video still?

Hammock Parties 12-16-2012 01:54 PM

He who shall not be named...

KCWolfman 12-16-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9212785)
Watched it last night. I'd forgotten how many stud RB's they tried to replace him with in Oakland. So glad him and Joe gave us a season to remember.

Yup

Chiefs Pantalones 12-16-2012 02:04 PM

Al Davis was such a piece of shit. He was terrible for the league.

Bump 12-16-2012 02:08 PM

ya I love this show, Al Davis was a piece of shit trying to bury his career. Marcus Allen spent 6 seasons either only blocking or sitting and still put up those numbers. He was better than most Chiefs fans gave him credit for. I seem to remember a lot of hate towards him by chiefs fans and I didn't get it.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 12-16-2012 02:20 PM

Marty calling Allen "our best player."

Yep. Pretty much sums up Martyball

Rain Man 12-16-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9213023)
ya I love this show, Al Davis was a piece of shit trying to bury his career. Marcus Allen spent 6 seasons either only blocking or sitting and still put up those numbers. He was better than most Chiefs fans gave him credit for. I seem to remember a lot of hate towards him by chiefs fans and I didn't get it.

Allen was a good player for us. It was frustrating, though, because Marty would use Allen instead of Greg Hill, when Hill had a higher upside. Misusing Greg Hill may have been Marty's second-greatest mistake after not drafting a quarterback. Okay, maybe third after conservative playoff play, too.

milkman 12-16-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9213110)
Allen was a good player for us. It was frustrating, though, because Marty would use Allen instead of Greg Hill, when Hill had a higher upside. Misusing Greg Hill may have been Marty's second-greatest mistake after not drafting a quarterback. Okay, maybe third after conservative playoff play, too.

Hill had no patience or vision.

Allen was past his prime, but still had that ability to always get you something positive.

With Hill, you just hoped the hole would be where the play was designed to go.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-16-2012 04:49 PM

I miss Marcus.

Cheater5 12-16-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9214331)
I miss Marcus.

I miss his attitude towards the game.

Nowhere to be found on this team for several years.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-16-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 9214364)
I miss his attitude towards the game.

Nowhere to be found on this team for several years.

When Marcus was anywhere near the 5, the Chiefs were GETTING their TD.

Chief Pote 12-16-2012 05:27 PM

The memories make me smile. Current day makes me embarrassed to own chef shit.

displacedinMN 12-18-2012 08:17 PM

Watching the show now. Marcus is still no 1.
Those were great teams.

Then I see the Houston game-the last playoff win. OMG.

Al Davis-idiot.

TEX 12-18-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 9222666)
Watching the show now. Marcus is still no 1.
Those were great teams.

Then I see the Houston game-the last playoff win. OMG.

Al Davis-idiot.

I was at that game and remember when he broke that last TD run. AWESOME!

kcxiv 12-18-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9213084)

YOu would have to be stupid to NOT give the ball to Marcus on a 3-1 or a 4-1. HE WAS GOING TO GET THAT YARD ALMOST EVERY TIME.

That had ntohign to do with Marty Ball, that had EVERYTHING to do with it being the smart play to call. He was a beast in short yardage way before he was a CHief.

ChiefsCountry 12-18-2012 09:17 PM

Al Davis was an idiot, but good grief if you have a shot at getting somebody like Bo Jackson you would have to be a fool not to do it.

Kylo Ren 12-18-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

While Marcus was a Chief, I don't know of anyone who had hate for him. He was loved or respected by all.

Kylo Ren 12-18-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9213084)

Well.... he WAS our best player, and I'm OK with that.

Kylo Ren 12-18-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9213180)
Hill had no patience or vision.

Allen was past his prime, but still had that ability to always get you something positive.

With Hill, you just hoped the hole would be where the play was designed to go.

I think Greg Hill got every opportunity that he deserved.

Kylo Ren 12-18-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9214331)
I miss Marcus.

Ditto. And he, like Barry Sanders, just handed the ball to the ref after a TD. Class act. I appreciated that about him.

LOCOChief 12-18-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9213110)
Marty would use Allen instead of Greg Hill, when Hill had a higher upside. Misusing Greg Hill may have been Marty's second-greatest mistake after not drafting a quarterback. Okay, maybe third after conservative playoff play, too.

Greg Hill? he was never the "real deal"

CLX 12-18-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

You can appreciate talent and not love the guy that is across the line of scrimmage. I always watched Allen tear up other teams but it wasn't anything special until he was on MY team.

If the things I've heard are correct Marcus was considered Maddens @#$@#$ not Al's. Those were words that were actually put in the Oakland Tribune when Allen was drafted according to folklore. It was no secret that Al Davis didn't really want Allen on the team, even when he did so much for them he still didn't like him.

I found Allen showed his class in KC and if any of our RB's (the afore mentioned Greg Hill) of that time would have listened to Marcus they would have picked up where he left off when he retired. As it stands they went back to their old habits when Marcus was gone, they were gone from the Chiefs shortly after. Players that don't learn from those guys that are destined for the HOF kill their own careers.

Jenson71 12-18-2012 10:09 PM

Marcus was my favorite player as a kid. I got everyone of his football cards I could find, read his autobiography a few times (and used it as my book report book twice that amount), and loved his goal line leaps for 6.

DaneMcCloud 12-18-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLX (Post 9222817)

If the things I've heard are correct Marcus was considered Maddens @#$@#$ not Al's. Those were words that were actually put in the Oakland Tribune when Allen was drafted according to folklore. It was no secret that Al Davis didn't really want Allen on the team, even when he did so much for them he still didn't like.

Huh?

First off, NO ONE had priority over Al Davis when it came to Draft Day. He was the Alpha and Omega.

Secondly, Madden had been in the booth for four years when Allen was drafted.

Brock 12-18-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLX (Post 9222817)
If the things I've heard are correct Marcus was considered Maddens @#$@#$ not Al's. Those were words that were actually put in the Oakland Tribune when Allen was drafted according to folklore. It was no secret that Al Davis didn't really want Allen on the team, even when he did so much for them he still didn't like him.

Ron Wolf, not Madden.

beach tribe 12-18-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9212971)
He who shall not be named...

:D I know.

listopencil 12-19-2012 01:51 AM

Marcus Allen was arguably the best short yardage back that ever played.

AussieChiefsFan 12-19-2012 02:04 AM

The days.

AussieChiefsFan 12-19-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9212966)
Who's that #2 guy in the video still?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-19-2012 04:05 PM

LYNNELLIOTLYNNELLIOTLYNN****ING ELLIOT!!!!!

There, I said it.

displacedinMN 12-19-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthPioliSatan (Post 9224831)
LYNNELLIOTLYNNELLIOTLYNN****ING ELLIOT!!!!!

There, I said it.

Couldn't get back into KC even under witness protection

whoman69 12-19-2012 05:15 PM

I would have loved to have gotten him at the beginning of his career, but his career would have been shorter.

listopencil 12-19-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9225141)
I would have loved to have gotten him at the beginning of his career, but his career would have been shorter.

I don't know about how much it would have been shortened. Sure you don't take wear and tear sitting on the bench, of course that's true. The guy's football IQ is off the charts and he protected himself well.

Sully 12-19-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Wayne (Post 9222774)
Ditto. And he, like Barry Sanders, just handed the ball to the ref after a TD. Class act. I appreciated that about him.

I may be remembering wrong, and this is definitely a nitpick, but I don't think he handed the ball to a ref. I think he carried it to the sideline, because he saved them all.
Unless its another player I'm thinking of (Priest, maybe?)

Rain Man 12-19-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9223118)
Marcus Allen was arguably the best short yardage back that ever played.

Off the top of my head, I would list in no particular order Marcus Allen, Priest Holmes, and Walter Payton as the top unstoppable guys if you needed one yard. Now, I'll admit that there may be some home team bias there, so is there anyone else who should be in that group?

rico 12-19-2012 06:13 PM

So what in the world was up Al Davis's ass about Allen? I've read stories (I have no idea if they had any merit whatsoever) that Allen was one of the dudes on the team who Marinovich partied with....in which most of us know how Marinovich partied. Were there things that got back to Davis that he didn't approve of? Or did he just randomly decide that he wasn't going to like him...although he drafted him and would be credited for a portion of any success he achieved in the NFL. Everything just seems so bizarre. I can't imagine "just because" being the primary factor which leads to a dude hating someone so much that they actively attempted being a detriment to their career as Davis apparently did to Allen...especially when if Allen succeeds, so does Davis. I guess this is Al Davis we are talking about...I just don't get it. There has to be a reason for their beef with each other than "just because" or because he thought the Raiders were too heavily associated with Allen and not the team. Weird.

CLX 12-19-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9222872)
Huh?

First off, NO ONE had priority over Al Davis when it came to Draft Day. He was the Alpha and Omega.

Secondly, Madden had been in the booth for four years when Allen was drafted.

Brock corrected the miss on the drafter, and if you read the papers in Oakland you would know that Davis did not want Allen. You might try reading Allen's book.

And it was 3 years, not 4.

Bump 12-19-2012 07:16 PM

If you can pick any HB in history for a 4th and goal at the 1 with the Superbowl on the line. I would pick Marcus Allen.

Molitoth 12-19-2012 07:24 PM

I don't see a huge problem with bringing in Bo Jackson, but to bring in Roger Craig and Eric Dickerson at the end of their careers to replace a better Marcus Allen is all out fail.

listopencil 12-19-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9225347)
Off the top of my head, I would list in no particular order Marcus Allen, Priest Holmes, and Walter Payton as the top unstoppable guys if you needed one yard. Now, I'll admit that there may be some home team bias there, so is there anyone else who should be in that group?

Terrell Davis. John Riggins.Tom Rathman. Mike Allstott.

CLX 12-19-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9225693)
If you can pick any HB in history for a 4th and goal at the 1 with the Superbowl on the line. I would pick Marcus Allen.

I can't disagree with Allen here,

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9225797)
Terrell Davis. John Riggins.Tom Rathman. Mike Allstott.

but I also wouldn't mind Riggins, Davis, Holmes, Payton, Sayers and possibly even Ed Podolak.

displacedinMN 12-19-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9225391)
So what in the world was up Al Davis's ass about Allen? I've read stories (I have no idea if they had any merit whatsoever) that Allen was one of the dudes on the team who Marinovich partied with....in which most of us know how Marinovich partied. Were there things that got back to Davis that he didn't approve of? Or did he just randomly decide that he wasn't going to like him...although he drafted him and would be credited for a portion of any success he achieved in the NFL. Everything just seems so bizarre. I can't imagine "just because" being the primary factor which leads to a dude hating someone so much that they actively attempted being a detriment to their career as Davis apparently did to Allen...especially when if Allen succeeds, so does Davis. I guess this is Al Davis we are talking about...I just don't get it. There has to be a reason for their beef with each other than "just because" or because he thought the Raiders were too heavily associated with Allen and not the team. Weird.

Saw a documentary on Todd M. What a hot mess that was!

Brock 12-19-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9225391)

Davis always had beefs with players and coaches. There isn't any logic to it, once he decided he hated you, it was over.