ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV "Lockout" and "Cabin In The Woods" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258354)

JD10367 04-12-2012 01:51 PM

"Lockout" and "Cabin In The Woods"

Saw two movies this morning which open tomorrow.

1.) "Lockout": mildly entertaining if unoriginal (think "Escape From New York" in space, with the President's daughter instead of the President). Nothing to write home about, but it'll kill 90 minutes.

2.) "Cabin In The Woods": two words... f***ing awesome. Hilarious, gory enough (although not blatantly), and different. I sat in an empty theater by myself and still laughed and clapped. One of the few movies I want to watch again, with a crowd. Joss Whedon FTW. (And watch for "Buffy" alumni cameos.)

JD10367 04-12-2012 01:53 PM

And the two chicks in "Cabin" are quite cute (although the lack of boobage will probably disappoint most here... they both seem to have "A" cups, but look nice in panties and bikinis). Plus it has Thor/George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth), and the two older guys are character actors who you'll recognize but not know from where (I think they've been in 100 movies).

Bowser 04-12-2012 02:12 PM

I've wanted to check out Lockout. Didn't look mind blowingly good, just a nicew new take on a genre.

And Cabin really is that good, huh?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8536867)
I've wanted to check out Lockout. Didn't look mind blowingly good, just a nicew new take on a genre.

And Cabin really is that good, huh?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's basically Whedon making fun of the horror-movie genre (but it's not a goofy comedy or anything... it's not a spoof). You just have to go see it to understand.

"Lockout" was okay. Like I said, nothing new, but it looked nice enough (although some of the editing was choppy). Guy Pearce was solid, the chick was cute enough, the effects were decent... I wouldn't have walked out, we'll put it that way.

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8536783)
Saw two movies this morning which open tomorrow.

1.) "Lockout": mildly entertaining if unoriginal (think "Escape From New York" in space, with the President's daughter instead of the President). Nothing to write home about, but it'll kill 90 minutes.

2.) "Cabin In The Woods": two words... f***ing awesome. Hilarious, gory enough (although not blatantly), and different. I sat in an empty theater by myself and still laughed and clapped. One of the few movies I want to watch again, with a crowd. Joss Whedon FTW. (And watch for "Buffy" alumni cameos.)

Howdy JD,
My 13 year old son saw the ad for that and wants to see it. Was there any nudity or blatant drug use in the movie?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8536972)
Howdy JD,
My 13 year old son saw the ad for that and wants to see it. Was there any nudity or blatant drug use in the movie?

You didn't specify which movie, so...

"Lockout": no nudity or drug use.

"Cabin": one of the five leads is high for the whole movie; one of the two girls shows her itty bitty titties. For better or worse, nothing a 13-year-old in today's world hasn't seen a lot of.

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8536985)
You didn't specify which movie, so...

"Lockout": no nudity or drug use.

"Cabin": one of the five leads is high for the whole movie; one of the two girls shows her itty bitty titties. For better or worse, nothing a 13-year-old in today's world hasn't seen a lot of.

Duh, sorry. I was asking about Cabin. And thank you. Is it a prolonged titty shot or a quick flash?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8536990)
Duh, sorry. I was asking about Cabin. And thank you. Is it a prolonged titty shot or a quick flash?

It's about a ten-second shot, one of those "girl on top, wearing a button-down shirt and panties, and she slowly unbuttons the shirt and lets it hang to both sides" things. But they're A-cups so they shouldn't frighten him too much. ;)

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8537004)
It's about a ten-second shot, one of those "girl on top, wearing a button-down shirt and panties, and she slowly unbuttons the shirt and lets it hang to both sides" things. But they're A-cups so they shouldn't frighten him too much. ;)

Thanks very much, exactly the inside scoop I was hoping to get. Probably going to have to pass as much as I'd like to take him.

keg in kc 04-12-2012 02:57 PM

Word for months has been that cabin in the woods is really good. Not a big horror guy, so I probably won't see it, but everything I've heard has been that it's awesome.

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8537033)
Word for months has been that cabin in the woods is really good. Not a big horror guy, so I probably won't see it, but everything I've heard has been that it's awesome.

It's not really a horror film, though (which is why I think it's getting positive pub). It's more a sci-fi/fantasy film that pokes fun at horror films a little. It's very much in the vein of "Buffy"/"Angel".

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8537011)
Thanks very much, exactly the inside scoop I was hoping to get. Probably going to have to pass as much as I'd like to take him.

Unless you keep him chained in the basement with no access to a computer or cable, I'm pretty sure he's seen a lot worse. Hell, 13 nowadays, he's probably already had his hands on some. :thumb:

Frosty 04-12-2012 03:08 PM

Was there much actual sci-fi in Lockout or was it basically a prison movie set in space?

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8537059)
Was there much actual sci-fi in Lockout or was it basically a prison movie set in space?

There was a bit, in terms of why they're putting the prisoners up there, and some of the attack shuttles and space station stuff. But, pretty much, my initial post ("Escape From New York" in space, with the Pres's daughter in lieu of the Pres) pretty much summed it up. They tagged a bit of a spy story around it to try to give Guy Pearce's character some depth and motivation, that's about it. It wasn't awful--it's worth seeing, I think--but you're not going to say, "Boy, I can't wait to buy that Blu-Ray and watch it over and over!"

Deberg_1990 04-12-2012 03:52 PM

These next couple of weeks are probably the slowest time at the movies.......everyones just sort of holding back product until the big summer months.

JD10367 04-12-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8537155)
These next couple of weeks are probably the slowest time at the movies.......everyones just sort of holding back product until the big summer months.

I disagree. Thanks mainly to "The Lorax" and "Hunger Games", it was the biggest March ever, I think. Couple that with "Titanic 3D" coming out, and "American Reunion", if "Cabin In The Woods" and "Lockout" and "Three Stooges" can get a bit of a roll going it'll be a nice April, too. Not much next week, but the end of the month sees "Safe" and "The Raven" (and "Pirates" will probably nab kiddie-ticket sales).

Then you have May... not a summer month by any means, but starts with "The Avengers", then "Dark Shadows" the following week, "The Dictator" the third week, and finishes with the suspense flick "Chernobyl Diaries" and "Men In Black 3". That will probably be the best May ever.

June is also strong: "Snow White and the Hunstman"; "Prometheus"; "Madagascar 3" (kids); "That's My Boy" (Sandler fans); "Rock Of Ages"; "Brave" (Pixar); "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" (might turn out good, might flop); "GI Joe: Retaliation" (trailer actually looks decent).

Deberg_1990 04-12-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8537380)
I disagree. Thanks mainly to "The Lorax" and "Hunger Games", it was the biggest March ever, I think. Couple that with "Titanic 3D" coming out, and "American Reunion", if "Cabin In The Woods" and "Lockout" and "Three Stooges" can get a bit of a roll going it'll be a nice April, too. Not much next week, but the end of the month sees "Safe" and "The Raven" (and "Pirates" will probably nab kiddie-ticket sales).

Then you have May... not a summer month by any means, but starts with "The Avengers", then "Dark Shadows" the following week, "The Dictator" the third week, and finishes with the suspense flick "Chernobyl Diaries" and "Men In Black 3". That will probably be the best May ever.

June is also strong: "Snow White and the Hunstman"; "Prometheus"; "Madagascar 3" (kids); "That's My Boy" (Sandler fans); "Rock Of Ages"; "Brave" (Pixar); "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" (might turn out good, might flop); "GI Joe: Retaliation" (trailer actually looks decent).

I meant the last two weeks of April are slow for new releases traditionally.

KcMizzou 04-12-2012 06:11 PM

I look forward to seeing "Cabin In The Woods". Ive read that you should avoid spoilers at all costs.

It's at 91% on RT. That's crazy for a horror movie.

NewChief 04-12-2012 07:21 PM

Here's a good review of "Cabin in the Woods" that avoids spoilers while doing a good job of communicating what makes the movie interesting:

Edit: Put in spoiler tags because, according to JD, it gives too much of the movie away.

Spoiler!

KcMizzou 04-12-2012 07:36 PM

Sounds awesome.

WhiteWhale 04-12-2012 08:25 PM

I'm not a fan of Whedon. I knew he was working on a project called 'Cabin in the woods' so as soon as I saw the trailer I had a bit of a bias.

Except after I saw the trailer I had to admit the movie looked really cool. I'm definitely gonna see it.

JD10367 04-13-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8537520)
Here's a good review of "Cabin in the Woods" that avoids spoilers while doing a good job of communicating what makes the movie interesting:

Uh, actually, no, that pretty much explains the whole frigging movie. If I hadn't seen it yet I wouldn't even have wanted to know that much.

lcarus 04-13-2012 05:55 AM

Yeah I wanna see these sometime. Probably wait for dvd/blu-ray. I don't go to the theater anymore really. The only thing I'll probably see in the theater is the new Batman, and given the popularity I'll probably wait a couple weeks. I hate over crowded theaters.

Deberg_1990 04-13-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 8537635)
I'm not a fan of Whedon. .

I wasnt really a Buffy fan, but Firefly and Dollhouse really won me over.

NewChief 04-13-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8538011)
Uh, actually, no, that pretty much explains the whole frigging movie. If I hadn't seen it yet I wouldn't even have wanted to know that much.

Okay. Will put in spoilers, then.

JD10367 04-13-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8538034)
I wasnt really a Buffy fan, but Firefly and Dollhouse really won me over.

The first season of "Buffy" is a bit slow, but after that it really picks up.

Frosty 04-13-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8538034)
I wasnt really a Buffy fan,

You just made Gaz cry

Valiant 04-13-2012 08:23 PM

I liked it.. It need more nudity for a R rating it had..

Lots of former memorable actors in the movie.. Did it show anything past the credits? I did not stay..

beach tribe 04-14-2012 10:15 AM

Is there any way you can post a spoiler for WTF is going on in Cabin in the woods?
Please?

beach tribe 04-14-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8538011)

Nevermind.:doh!:

Megbert 04-23-2012 10:43 AM

Saw Cabin over the weekend. I loved it. Fiance did not. She said there were some funny lines but thought it was 'predictable'. Which I didn't have the desire or want to explain to her why she was wrong.

Spoiler!

Chiefs Pantalones 04-23-2012 01:18 PM

My wife and I thought Cabin in The Woods was terrible. It seemed like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Bad acting as well.

sedated 04-23-2012 01:27 PM

I can’t decide whether I like Cabin or not. Agree on the bad acting, the beginning was super-cheesy (probably intentional), and there was 0 character development (possibly also intentional since it was so cliché). But it was a great twist on the typical horror movie, and had some pretty funny lines.

BigRichard 04-23-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 8560861)
My wife and I thought Cabin in The Woods was terrible. It seemed like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Bad acting as well.

:shake:

NewChief 04-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8560876)
I can’t decide whether I like Cabin or not. Agree on the bad acting, the beginning was super-cheesy (probably intentional), and there was 0 character development (possibly also intentional since it was so cliché). But it was a great twist on the typical horror movie, and had some pretty funny lines.

One of my students told me, "It was the worst movie ever. HORRIBLE!"

I replied, "I bet you liked Transformers didn't you?"

"Yeah, it's my favorite movie."

So predictable.

JD10367 04-24-2012 07:14 AM

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to "get" the film. It's not supposed to be a serious horror movie. It's not supposed to be filled with stellar acting. It's Joss Whedon both poking fun at, and paying homage to, horror films in his own unique way. The juxtaposition of the humor/horror was typical Whedon for anyone who's seen his work. Someone I know who is otherwise hip and smart and not your typical person said, "I didn't like it, it wasn't scary enough." :shake:

Fish 04-24-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8560922)
One of my students told me, "It was the worst movie ever. HORRIBLE!"

I replied, "I bet you liked Transformers didn't you?"

"Yeah, it's my favorite movie."

So predictable.

Facepalm for our future.....

MTG#10 06-24-2012 10:40 AM

Saw Cabin last night. ****ing awesome.

Deberg_1990 12-31-2012 08:57 PM

Just watched Cabin in the Woods tonight. Pure awesome. Still trying to comprehend it all. I think Whedon managed to send up just about every horror movie cliche in the world.

He actually managed to get respected actors like Sigourney Weaver, Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins to appear to add some cred. The last 30 minutes was so far over the top, but damn well done. Unique and i love movies where you have no idea where they are going.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2012 08:58 PM

Cabin in the Woods was brilliant.

ragedogg69 12-31-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9262022)
Cabin in the Woods was brilliant.

pretty much this. it makes your rethink every single horror movie you have ever seen/will see.

Probably my favorite movie of the year right with Looper. Another genre changing movie.

penguinz 01-01-2013 12:01 PM

Cabin was boring.

Deberg_1990 01-01-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9264131)
Cabin was boring.

whatt????????????????????????????

cabletech94 01-01-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9264141)
whatt????????????????????????????

here, let me translate:

peng fell asleep in the first 30 minutes. maybe 45 :D

Direckshun 04-05-2013 04:42 PM

Just saw Cabin In The Woods this week.

Holy balls, what a trip. Loved it.

Simply Red 04-05-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9560127)
Just saw Cabin In The Woods this week.

Holy balls, what a trip. Loved it.

Great movie, could be the best movie of all times.

mnchiefsguy 04-05-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9560443)
Great movie, could be the best movie of all times.

Nah, The Hobbit was better. :D

KcMizzou 04-05-2013 08:29 PM

I loved "Cabin in the Woods". A mix of all the horror movie tropes you can think of, with a little "Office Space" style humor.
Spoiler!

I can see how people wouldn't love the very end... but the 20 or so minutes before that were hilarious and amazing.

Spoiler!

KC_Connection 04-06-2013 12:04 AM

Yeah, Cabin is an awesome movie. One of the best of last year and that's high praise considering how many good ones there were.