ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283189)

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:08 PM

Knowledge Weighs Nothing - Life Hacks, Bushcraft etc

Its camping season, so I figured its time for a repository for all of the cool tips and tricks to be found out there that can make your experience easier and more enjoyable... don't wanna pack a tent so you can really rough it? theres a lot of different shelter designs out there, need to start a fire but forgot the lighter? there are tricks out there for that as well.

It can also branch out into cool knowledge that's useful around the home and in life in general, which is why I threw "life hacks" in there... this thread is for outdoorsmen and everyman.

Tell us your trick for saving money around the house, building a fire, catching food, making a field expedient water filter etc.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:10 PM

I'll start with something a little off the wall...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0YAu2Dsh_Zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ptlyon 04-23-2014 02:10 PM

Www.hotels.com

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:12 PM

Until I can get my daughter over here to school my dinosaur ass, I'll be posting links for many things, sorry, Bob Dole.

4 camping hacks you might want to try...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/campin...ry-this-summer

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10580472)

That's no fun.

ptlyon 04-23-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580481)
That's no fun.

Www.Priceline.com?

tooge 04-23-2014 02:17 PM

cotton balls with vaseline. Jam about 10 of them in a small clear bottle. They make great fire starters and will start with one match. If you don't have a match, they take a spark readily from a magnesium bar. I keep this in my fishing backpack, my camping gear, and my truck.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:17 PM

**** BILL SHATNER BOOOOOO

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10580490)
cotton balls with vaseline. Jam about 10 of them in a small clear bottle. They make great fire starters and will start with one match. If you don't have a match, they take a spark readily from a magnesium bar. I keep this in my fishing backpack, my camping gear, and my truck.

This is what I'm talkin bout, I've got 50 in a Ziploc baggie, once lit with my handy dandy ferrocerium rod they burn hot for a good 5 minutes, plenty of time to get even soggy tinder going.

tooge 04-23-2014 02:25 PM

I have one of those 10x10 tents that pop up for tailgates and such. They don't take up too much space in my truck bed, so when I go camping, I set the 10x10 canopy up above my actual tent. No rain or dew issues whatsoever, it only takes 5 minutes to set up, and there are all sorts of places in the canopy top supports to hang lantern, wet clothing, etc. Totally changed tent camping for me.

Sully 04-23-2014 02:30 PM

I'm what you'd call "indoorsy."

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:31 PM

One of 1001 emergency heater/stove ideas...

http://preparednessmama.com/diy-emer...rvival-heater/

Rausch 04-23-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10580516)
I'm what you'd call "indoorsy."

I enjoy the woods, rivers, and Zoo's.

I really don't care to sleep in one though...

Sully 04-23-2014 02:32 PM

Before reclining on your couch recliner, always make sure the remotes and your drink will e in arm's reach. Also, pro-tip, have an extra blanket handy. That way, if you need an arm rest, or even if you just get chilly, you have one right there.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:36 PM

LMAO I suppose that does qualify as a life hack, Sully.

Sully 04-23-2014 02:36 PM

pillow pets are just about the perfect size for a head rest while sitting on your couch or chair. It may look silly, but they are very comfortable.

Sully 04-23-2014 02:37 PM

Don't align your lamp tables with the front of your recliners, align them with the back, because when you recline, the table will be too far out in front of you to comfortably reach your drink or evening snacks.

Sully 04-23-2014 02:38 PM

If you have kids, teach them to load disks in the DVD player. They enjoy the hell out of the job, and you can just point to the next movie to watch.

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10580472)

That's Mrs. Radar's kind of camping.

mr. tegu 04-23-2014 02:51 PM

My wife wants to go camping. But knowing her, that's probably only because she has never been.

I can't get the bugs off the table because we are eating in their yard. That white and black stuff on the table is definitely not bird poop either. Probably just remnants of some oreos.

So we will definitely be borrowing our equipment for the first time we go.

Rain Man 04-23-2014 02:54 PM

I always try to camp near a Chili's, because the free drink refills are great at keeping me hydrated.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580549)
That's Mrs. Radar's kind of camping.

I KNOW you've got some great outdoorsman tips, let the knowledge flow...

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:04 PM

I'm sure everyone who's ever camped has been surprised at just how fast a fire can die out without constant feeding and tending, if you want a fire that keeps you warm all night while you snore, here it is.

It takes a bit of work and the vids a bit long, but this obviously works...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hTKGD6Y2mDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeepSouth 04-23-2014 03:06 PM

As far as catching things, I've found that taking a bag of Dove Chocolates into a Hooters and sitting at the bar, is great bait for attracting Hooters Girls.

tooge 04-23-2014 03:07 PM

This is pretty elementary, but I always make a few meals in advance. Scrambled eggs and cheese, onions, and peppers frozen in pint baggies. Same for chili or stew. Then these frozen baggies keep your other fresh meats cool until you use them. When ready for a meal, simply hang the baggie in boiling water with a stick and wire, and you will have meals ready to go with little or no cleanup.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:09 PM

A great tip I picked up from the old man for staying warm at night without building an "all night fire" is this... several hours before bed, put a grapefruit sized rock in the fire, about an hour before bed shove that rock into an old pillowcase and throw it in your fart sack.

Leave it in while you sleep if its very cold out, or take it out before bed if you just want to warm things up in cool weather... but be careful about the rock you choose, if its been soaked in water it might explode in your face while sitting in the fire.

The water heats up and steam pressure can explode the rock.

vailpass 04-23-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580496)
This is what I'm talkin bout, I've got 50 in a Ziploc baggie, once lit with my handy dandy ferrocerium rod they burn hot for a good 5 minutes, plenty of time to get even soggy tinder going.

Do you put the Vaseline on them first, then stick them in the bag?

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580560)
I KNOW you've got some great outdoorsman tips, let the knowledge flow...

I’ll admit I was looking for a good tick removal video to post because I’m sure they’re going to be thick this year. I already found one on me after fishing a farm pond about 3 weeks ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Na6_CORwTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10580574)
This is pretty elementary, but I always make a few meals in advance. Scrambled eggs and cheese, onions, and peppers frozen in pint baggies. Same for chili or stew. Then these frozen baggies keep your other fresh meats cool until you use them. When ready for a meal, simply hang the baggie in boiling water with a stick and wire, and you will have meals ready to go with little or no cleanup.

:thumb: that kind of tip is exactly what I'm looking for, the food you take with you can double as what helps keep everything else cold.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10580577)

Yes, spend a good minute or two working it into the fibers... the more you do that, the longer that little cottonball will last.

If you don't end up using them as firestarters, they can still double as lip balm and cut protection.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:21 PM

Thanks, Radar.

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10580577)

Yes.

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580595)
Thanks, Radar.

For getting rid of them I keep a small coffee can with a little motor oil in it for just such occasions. Throw them in the can, they get covered with oil and suffocate. AND I HOPE IT ****ING HURTS!!! :cuss:

vailpass 04-23-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580596)
Yes.

Gracias...

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:27 PM

Been meaning to get one of these and keep it on the Jeep key chain since that's typically what I'm out in.

http://www.tickedoff.com/

Looks to me like a plastic spoon with a small notch cut in the tip should do the same thing.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:27 PM

Yes, ticks must pay for their insidiousness, a quick and easy death does not serve justice.

vailpass 04-23-2014 03:32 PM

Salt for the leeches is fun to watch...

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:34 PM

Diesel Mechanic buddy’s mom used to be a girl scout leader and she showed us a nifty fire starter trick last time we went out camping. Take a paper egg carton, fill each cup with wood chips (cedar or pine chips from the pet department work great) then cover them with melted wax and throw the carton in your camping gear. When you need to start your camp fire tear off a cup or two and build your tinder around it. Same concept as the cotton balls just different materials.

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:36 PM

I just read something the other day about throwing sage on your camp fire to keep the skeeters away. Anyone else heard of that?

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580627)
Diesel Mechanic buddy’s mom used to be a girl scout leader and she showed us a nifty fire starter trick last time we went out camping. Take a paper egg carton, fill each cup with wood chips (cedar or pine chips from the pet department work great) then cover them with melted wax and throw the carton in your camping gear. When you need to start your camp fire tear off a cup or two and build your tinder around it. Same concept as the cotton balls just different materials.

:thumb: yep, this is a vaseline cottonball on steroids.

Another good medium for the wax to cling to is dryer lint, I keep a ziploc baggie of that in my kit as well... its a free supply that never runs out.

Easy 6 04-23-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580633)
I just read something the other day about throwing sage on your camp fire to keep the skeeters away. Anyone else heard of that?

Item #4 in post #4.

Radar Chief 04-23-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580656)
Item #4 in post #4.

:doh!: Teach me to read closer.
Ever tried it? I’ve never had much luck with home remedies like that.
You know the drier sheets in your socks thing? Yea, doesn’t work. Or I’m running through brush too thick for it to work, one of the two.

Marcellus 04-23-2014 03:57 PM

My camping hack is I found a place that rents 27' Campers for about $80 a day. New ones.

It has a hot shower and fridge that runs on propane. I will never sleep in a tent again, ever.

loochy 04-23-2014 04:23 PM

If you have to poop in the wild you can use a leaf to wipe

Easy 6 04-23-2014 04:39 PM

Heres a life hack that should interest just about anyone, speed that computer up...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/to...et-connection/

Easy 6 04-23-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580674)
:doh!: Teach me to read closer.
Ever tried it? I’ve never had much luck with home remedies like that.
You know the drier sheets in your socks thing? Yea, doesn’t work. Or I’m running through brush too thick for it to work, one of the two.

No, I've never tried sage in the fire, but I bet it helps... I would soak the bundle before I tried it, though

And as a side bonus, its should help keep ghosts away :D

Easy 6 04-23-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10580682)
My camping hack is I found a place that rents 27' Campers for about $80 a day. New ones.

It has a hot shower and fridge that runs on propane. I will never sleep in a tent again, ever.

That's sure cheaper than a decent hotel, and the view should be MUCH better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10580716)
If you have to poop in the wild you can use a leaf to wipe

Just be REAL careful about which leaf...

Easy 6 04-23-2014 08:52 PM

Last one for the night, we all know the UK to be a cold, damp, miserable clime... yet this man swears by room heaters that use nothing more than tea candles and pot planters.

I WILL be trying this next year, I bet its an amazing way to heat a small space...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-8p-a-day.html

jjjayb 04-24-2014 04:22 AM

Save your dryer lint and toilet paper rolls. Pack the dryer lint in the empty toilet paper rolls. They make great fire starters.

stumppy 04-24-2014 05:50 AM

Whenever you go on a float trip especially here in the Ozarks, Always carry a six to eight foot piece of garden hose. Getting dumped out of the canoe usually happens at River bends and log jams. Which is where the greatest danger of getting trapped under the water happens.
a person can you supposed to breathe with until they are freed.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580739)
No, I've never tried sage in the fire, but I bet it helps... I would soak the bundle before I tried it, though

And as a side bonus, its should help keep ghosts away :D

That's half the fun of camping.

El Jefe 04-24-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10580521)
I enjoy the woods, rivers, and Zoo's.

I really don't care to sleep in one though...

AMEN!!!

jspchief 04-24-2014 07:41 AM

Camp stove out of a pop can:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lZzB2MSBm3Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

patteeu 04-24-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580470)
I'll start with something a little off the wall...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0YAu2Dsh_Zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why is pee important here? Couldn't you do the same thing with water?

J Diddy 04-24-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10582120)
That's half the fun of camping.

Funny story. First time I took my boy camping (he was 3). It was around Halloween out on 20 acres behind my buddy's dad's house. We decided to play a trick on them. We planted the children's heads with a ghost story about a midget witch who only gets children. About an hour later my buddy's sister sneaks up through the woods acting like she's the midget witch. Besides my son there were 3 other children: my daughter age 13 and his two sons aged 12. She sneaks up my daughter starts bawling as did one of his sons, the other just barfed immediately. My son doesn't say a word, shows no emotion, straight up walked up to her and decked her. It was over at that point as even the midget witch was rolling.

patteeu 04-24-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10580551)
My wife wants to go camping. But knowing her, that's probably only because she has never been.

I can't get the bugs off the table because we are eating in their yard. That white and black stuff on the table is definitely not bird poop either. Probably just remnants of some oreos.

So we will definitely be borrowing our equipment for the first time we go.

Take her here. It's perfect for you. All the stuff like tents, ice, firewood and water are taken care of for you and you get a small island to yourselves.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10582209)
Funny story. First time I took my boy camping (he was 3). It was around Halloween out on 20 acres behind my buddy's dad's house. We decided to play a trick on them. We planted the children's heads with a ghost story about a midget witch who only gets children. About an hour later my buddy's sister sneaks up through the woods acting like she's the midget witch. Besides my son there were 3 other children: my daughter age 13 and his two sons aged 12. She sneaks up my daughter starts bawling as did one of his sons, the other just barfed immediately. My son doesn't say a word, shows no emotion, straight up walked up to her and decked her. It was over at that point as even the midget witch was rolling.

LMAO Leave it to the young'n.

beach tribe 04-24-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 10582127)
AMEN!!!

You tellin' me someone who listens to Riff Raff is not the out doors type?

C'mon.

patteeu 04-24-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 10582085)
Whenever you go on a float trip especially here in the Ozarks, Always carry a six to eight foot piece of garden hose. Getting dumped out of the canoe usually happens at River bends and log jams. Which is where the greatest danger of getting trapped under the water happens.
a person can you supposed to breathe with until they are freed.

You'd better not be under very long if you're trying to breath through a hose that long. Almost all the air you inhale will be air you just exhaled and it won't take long to run out of oxygen.

J Diddy 04-24-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10582221)
LMAO Leave it to the young'n.

It's stories like these why I love the outdoors. Being isolated from technological and other life distractions. Being isolated from the world and just focusing on nature and the other people around. I think it's more of a stop and pay attention thing because I've got a ton of memories from these trips that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

srvy 04-24-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580610)
Yes, ticks must pay for their insidiousness, a quick and easy death does not serve justice.

I like to pull them off and set them on the hood my work truck that has set in the hot sun. They hot foot around a little bit then give up the ghost.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 08:40 AM

Here’s something everyone should have in their camping gear, or at least something like it.

http://i57.tinypic.com/255s5s2.jpg

After you’ve been stomping around in the woods wash your arms, legs, hands and feet down with this stuff. I don’t know about you guys but poison ivy/oak is thick around here. I’ve gotten much better at recognizing it but I’ll still come down with it at least once a year.

If it’s too late and you’ve got blistering rash move on to this stuff.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2u8aufc.jpg

srvy 04-24-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10582229)
You'd better not be under very long if you're trying to breath through a hose that long. Almost all the air you inhale will be air you just exhaled and it won't take long to run out of oxygen.

Always worked for Tarzan with the reed.

patteeu 04-24-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10582306)
Always worked for Tarzan with the reed.

It works if it's short enough. 2 or 3 feet is probably alright. 8 feet is too long.

Sully 04-24-2014 09:09 AM

If you're on the couch and are having trouble breathing, don't bother with a hose. You're probably choking on a potato chip. Simply pat your belly until your dog jumps on you, sorta like the Heimlich menouver.

Pro tip: Chewing often prevents this.

Easy 6 04-24-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10582185)
Camp stove out of a pop can:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lZzB2MSBm3Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Those are great, I've got an easier to make, cruder version of it made from a fancy feast cat food can, but it will still boil two cups of water in 4 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10582205)
Why is pee important here? Couldn't you do the same thing with water?

What if you don't have any water?

Easy 6 04-24-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10582231)
It's stories like these why I love the outdoors. Being isolated from technological and other life distractions. Being isolated from the world and just focusing on nature and the other people around. I think it's more of a stop and pay attention thing because I've got a ton of memories from these trips that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

The witch story was hilarious, and I totally agree with the above... I can almost literally feel my blood pressure go down when I'm out in the woods away from all of the BS.

I never fail to feel refreshed afterwards.

Easy 6 04-24-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10582287)
I like to pull them off and set them on the hood my work truck that has set in the hot sun. They hot foot around a little bit then give up the ghost.

Sometimes one must be evil to defeat evil.

Graystoke 04-24-2014 10:41 AM

The best way to cook.

http://www.culinarymusings.com/wp-co...-oven-deep.jpg

A Salt Weapon 04-24-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10580490)

or you can keister them to prevent having to poop in the woods.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 10582725)
or you can keister them to prevent having to poop in the woods.

Probably make your fire smell like shit though.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 10582564)

Oh hell yes. :rockon:

Dave Lane 04-24-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10580610)

I learned something on CP, Permethrin is the ****ing bomb for ticks. Soak pants and jacket with it. No ticks.

morphius 04-24-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 10580584)
I’ll admit I was looking for a good tick removal video to post because I’m sure they’re going to be thick this year. I already found one on me after fishing a farm pond about 3 weeks ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Na6_CORwTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may add that if you get a lone star tick, very popular in MO, that the best way I have found to remove them is to flip them on their back and pull out backwards. For whatever reason they are more likely to break or just never come out if you pull them straight out or straight back. But flipping them works like a charm.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 10582807)
I may add that if you get a lone star tick, very popular in MO, that the best way I have found to remove them is to flip them on their back and pull out backwards. For whatever reason they are more likely to break or just never come out if you pull them straight out or straight back. But flipping them works like a charm.

Interesting. I had always called what we have around here deer ticks but your comment about lone star ticks got me wondering if that’s what they are. According to this chart:

http://www.tickinfo.com/TICKIDPAGE.htm

What we have mostly are American dog ticks.

The best method I’ve found for removal is similar to what you and the video are talking about, pair of tweezers as close to where the ticks connected to the skin as possible, but instead of a slow steady pull backwards I pull until the skin starts to bulge out and hold it. Pretty soon the tick will let go on its own.
When you grab a tick the first thing it does is tighten its grip, that’s why if you yank on it it’ll leave parts behind.
It’s kind of like if your holding onto a bar, if you’re just lying there you can hold onto it forever but if someone comes along and starts pulling on your legs you’re only going to be able to hold on for so long. So if you get a good grip on the tick and pull until there’s pressure on it to hold on it’ll eventually fatigue and let go. At least that’s my theory and I’ve had lots of success with it.

J Diddy 04-24-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 10582564)

I've never seen one of them things. Usually we just use a big ol cast iron and put a rack around the edge. I'll have to try one of them out.

Fish 04-24-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10583010)
I've never seen one of them things. Usually we just use a big ol cast iron and put a rack around the edge. I'll have to try one of them out.

You can cook damn near anything in one of those sumbitches....

Graystoke 04-24-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10583017)
You can cook damn near anything in one of those sumbitches....

So true. My favorite camp recipes involves two frozen pizzas, a tube of Jimmy Dean Sausage and lots of cheese.
I use mine at home for everything from Upside Down Pineapple cake to Mountain Man Breakfast.

Pro Tip:
Cooking with a Cast Iron Dutch Oven is fat free. The iron uptakes all the bad fats and cholesterol to make EVERYTHING HEALTHY.

ptlyon 04-24-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 10583037)
Pro Tip:
Cooking with a Cast Iron Dutch Oven is fat free. The iron uptakes all the bad fats and cholesterol to make EVERYTHING HEALTHY.

Even opossum!

Rausch 04-24-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10583045)
Even opossum!

Even the rare Mohawk Opossum!...