ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV What's the scariest movie you've ever seen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251423)

ReynardMuldrake 10-19-2011 09:21 AM

What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?

I'm not talking about spookiest, or creepiest, or most suspenseful, or goriest, or trippiest, or the most ****ed-up...

But what movie has made you shit your pants? Kept you up at night? Gave you that sinking feeling? Made you afraid to leave the house?

What is the scariest movie you've ever seen?

ReynardMuldrake 10-19-2011 09:21 AM

Personally, I would have to go with The Exorcist. Something about losing control over a family member while they are possesed by demons and being powerless to do anything about it is terrifying.

The Franchise 10-19-2011 09:22 AM

I must be one of the only people that thought that "The Exorcist" ****ing sucked.

Dayze 10-19-2011 09:22 AM

probably Halloween as a young lad.

or Excorcist

The Franchise 10-19-2011 09:23 AM

When I was a kid....it was any of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies.

Crush 10-19-2011 09:28 AM

Poltergeist

Frazod 10-19-2011 09:35 AM

Jaws.

seaofred 10-19-2011 09:38 AM

I was pretty young with Child's Play came out. The night after I saw it, I stayed the night at my friends. He had a My Buddy doll. Freaked me out! Also the movie Event Horizon creeps me out.

Otter 10-19-2011 09:43 AM

Haven't seen it for years so I'm not sure how well it's held up but "Jacob's Ladder".

Honorable Mention:

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Antichrist
Threads

Chiefnj2 10-19-2011 09:51 AM

I've been on a horror movie kick lately. Just saw The Descent and 1408. 1408 was a good movie considering it is PG13. Tough to make a non-R horror movie.

Sofa King 10-19-2011 09:54 AM

Dunno. "It" wasn't much fun when i saw it as a little dude. Nor was "Puppet Master" (although those look ridiculous now). Pet Cemetery. Childs Play.

All movies i watched when i was younger. Nothing is really scary anymore. Except for Hard Knocks with the Kansas City Chiefs and Herm Edwards. I couldn't sleep for months.

luv 10-19-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8006042)
When I was a kid....it was any of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies.

Same here.

Although, I'm a wuss when it comes to scary movies. I Know What You Did Last Summer even scared me...lol. Anything involving being in the house alone or going to the car alone. To this day, I always check the back seat before getting into my car. When I first lived alone, every sound would freak me out, and I would check closets and behind the shower curtain when I came home late at night.

Bump 10-19-2011 10:02 AM

Blair Witch Project.

Otter 10-19-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8006119)
Dunno. "It" wasn't much fun when i saw it as a little dude. Nor was "Puppet Master" (although those look ridiculous now). Pet Cemetery. Childs Play.

All movies i watched when i was younger. Nothing is really scary anymore. Except for Hard Knocks with the Kansas City Chiefs and Herm Edwards. I couldn't sleep for months.

How scary you perceive a movie has a lot to do with the atmosphere you're watching it in as much as the movie itself. I'm pretty sure I could watch 'Antichrist' on a sunny day while answering the phone and checking test messages and it would get nothing more than a grimace in certain spots. Change that to 2am, totally dark room and allowing yourself to become immersed in the movie and it becomes a 'holy shit I can't sleep' experience.

Lots of reasons out there why it's so subjective from one person to the next such as personal phobias and past experiences but I found atmosphere makes a huge difference.

I never watched that version of Hard Knocks. Herm the weekly series was more than I could take.

luv 10-19-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8006147)
Blair Witch Project.

I didn't find that one scary at all.

DMAC 10-19-2011 10:09 AM

Deliverance

TrickyNicky 10-19-2011 10:44 AM

Fire in the Sky. I was only 9, but that's the last movie that gave me nightmares.

Stewie 10-19-2011 10:52 AM

The first two scary movies I saw were Psycho and The Birds. They were on TV and I was probably 10 years old. Scared the crap out of me. Overall, the Exorcist is the scariest. I saw it for the first time at the movie theater on a midnight movie screening. It had quite an impact.

ReynardMuldrake 10-19-2011 11:00 AM

Also, if anyone is into the low budget Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity style documentary horror movies, I highly recommend the web serial called Marble Hornets. Smallest budget, but I actually liked it the best of the three. You can find it on Youtube.

Fish 10-19-2011 11:20 AM

I saw Amittyville Horror when I was about 8 or 9. That one caused some serious nightmares for me for some reason.

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 8006280)
Also, if anyone is into the low budget Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity style documentary horror movies, I highly recommend the web serial called Marble Hornets. Smallest budget, but I actually liked it the best of the three. You can find it on Youtube.

I started watching this (the slender man) a while back -- I enjoy it but after reading House of Leaves -- I see where the Marble Hornets crew got their ideas.

Demonpenz 10-19-2011 11:24 AM

Silence of the Lambs....the ending.....in a theatre........ HE WORE A DUDES FACE FOR BILL PECOTA'S SAKES!

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 11:24 AM

Jacob's Ladder
The Exorcist (really gave me the spooks as a kid)

Honorable mention:
[Rec]

BoneKrusher 10-19-2011 11:25 AM

WolfCreek

lcarus 10-19-2011 11:29 AM

I really like a movie called Session 9. They filmed it inside a real abandoned mental hospital in Danvers, Massachusetts. It's a pretty slow movie and it revolves around an asbestos removal team that has to go inside this old place and obviously....remove asbestos. Well the place is just creepy. One of the guys finds an old box with a bunch of recorded sessions with a female patient with multiple personalities. I really won't go into any more detail than that, and this movie probably isn't for everyone. However I really found it to be a good scary movie.

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8006379)
I really like a movie called Session 9. They filmed it inside a real abandoned mental hospital in Danvers, Massachusetts. It's a pretty slow movie and it revolves around an asbestos removal team that has to go inside this old place and obviously....remove asbestos. Well the place is just creepy. One of the guys finds an old box with a bunch of recorded sessions with a female patient with multiple personalities. I really won't go into any more detail than that, and this movie probably isn't for everyone. However I really found it to be a good scary movie.

Great movie. I bought it before viewing it and have let many friends borrow this gem. Great psychological horror flick.

lcarus 10-19-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8006384)
Great movie. I bought it before viewing it and have let many friends borrow this gem. Great psychological horror flick.

Glad someone else likes it too. I heard that they've since turned that hospital into an apartment complex. Boy it must be spooky living there!

Molitoth 10-19-2011 11:37 AM

As a kid: Child's Play
As a teen: IT
Now: The World News

Jerm 10-19-2011 11:38 AM

The original Black Christmas used to freak me out...

The Day After still touches a harrowing nerve with me, even today as an adult.

ToxSocks 10-19-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8006393)
Glad someone else likes it too. I heard that they've since turned that hospital into an apartment complex. Boy it must be spooky living there!

I enjoyed that movie as well.

I can't really think of a movie though that kept me up. Fire in the Sky scared the shit out of me when I was a kid....as did Nightmare on Elm Street.

These days it seems to be more about memorable moments rather than memorable movies.

Molitoth 10-19-2011 11:40 AM

I remember this one scene of a horror flick I watched as a kid, but have never watched the full film, or even know what it is. Maybe one of you can help me out....

So the scene goes as I remember....

This ventriloquist doll (or something similar) comes to life and is chasing this girl around this house. As the doll chases her down the hallway she runs into a room and locks herself in a bedroom. After a few seconds of freaking out, she slowly moves down to her knee's to look through the crack under the door, and she finds that the doll is doing the exact same thing on the other side... which was scary as fuck.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: Actually I started to google search, and found it!

WTACH THIS SHIT

http://youtu.be/4-8ocnmE0Ts

It was a short story from "USA Up All Nights, Night Flight."

MOhillbilly 10-19-2011 11:43 AM

Fire walk with me.

Fish 10-19-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8006423)
I remember this one scene of a horror flick I watched as a kid, but have never watched the full film, or even know what it is. Maybe one of you can help me out....

This ventriloquist doll (or something similar) comes to life and is chasing this girl around this house. As the doll chases her down the hallway she runs into a room and locks herself in a bedroom. After a few seconds of freaking out, she slowly moves down to her knee's to look through the crack under the door, and she finds that the doll is doing the exact same thing on the other side... which was scary as fuck.

Puppet Master?

http://www.panelsonpages.com/wp-cont...aster_wall.jpg

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's not from a movie but from a USA short that aired a long time ago.. I believe it was just called "the dummy".
embedded disabled: http://youtu.be/4-8ocnmE0Ts

edit: Night Flight was the series on USA

Frosty 10-19-2011 11:45 AM

When I was a kid, I saw a TV movie called "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark". It scared the shit out of me for a long time. I haven't seen a horror movie since that comes close to that reaction.

It is available on Youtube but I haven't wanted to watch it since it probably seems really cheesy now. I guess they just remade it.

I saw "Jaws" in the theater when it came out (I was about 12). That was really scary then. Watching it now, I wonder why.

Jerm 10-19-2011 11:46 AM

The Descent freaked me out some...had everything I hate in it...tight spaces, getting lost, broken bones, mongoloids lol.

lcarus 10-19-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8006418)
I enjoyed that movie as well.

I can't really think of a movie though that kept me up. Fire in the Sky scared the shit out of me when I was a kid....as did Nightmare on Elm Street.

These days it seems to be more about memorable moments rather than memorable movies.

Fire in the Sky was pretty terrifying as a kid. I tried to watch it again a few years ago and it just wasn't the same. The original Nightmare On Elm Street still holds up today and is pretty good. The remake was so shitty. Hated it.

The Franchise 10-19-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LsxkRNvEbhM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty 10-19-2011 11:55 AM

I don't really find slasher movies scary, other than the boo scares. Nightmare on Elm Street was entertaining but I never thought it was particularly scary.

The Thing (with Kurt Russell) is one of the more recent (almost 30 years ago - ha!) horror films that I thought was actually scary, mostly from the sense of isolation.

wutamess 10-19-2011 11:57 AM

Without a doubt The Fourth Kind!

kc rush 10-19-2011 12:05 PM

Poltergeist freaked me out as a kid.

Candyman was probably the one that made me jump the most.

The original Funny Games probably disturbed me the most.

Donger 10-19-2011 12:17 PM

I don't remember the name of it, but it had this flying, steel ball with knives and stuff coming out of it.

Fish 10-19-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8006544)
I don't remember the name of it, but it had this flying, steel ball with knives and stuff coming out of it.

Phantasm!

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7...man8428296.jpg

Jerm 10-19-2011 12:24 PM

I LOVE the Phantasm series...yes I'm willing to take the bad with the good.

Reggie Bannister FTW!!!

Chiefnj2 10-19-2011 12:28 PM

As a kid I remember the following scary scenes:

1. Jaws - pretty much the entire movie.
2. Carrie - the hand popping out of the grave at the end.
3. Salem's Lot - Danny Glick at Mark Petrie's window.
4. Poltergeist - the puppet scene.

Rain Man 10-19-2011 12:32 PM

I very seldom watch horror movies, because I don't really enjoy that type of experience. From the little experience I have, the ones that bother me most are the supernatural/demon possession ones more than the monsters or slashers. I've only seen part of The Exorcist, but it's the type of movie that I would find most scary, I think. The Saw/Hostel stuff wouldn't scare me as much as it would disgust me, so I wouldn't count them as scary.

Having said that, I was flipping through the channels last Halloween week when I stopped on "The Hills Have Eyes". Holy cow, that was creepy.

On a related note, I saw the movie 50/50 last week, and the guy is going in to the hospital for cancer treatments and chemo and stuff. While it's not "boo!" scary, it's in a way almost scarier because it's real and there's a legitimate possibility of having to do it.

Donger 10-19-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8006557)

I just sharted. Thanks.

Donger 10-19-2011 12:35 PM

Oh, and pretty much all the Omen movies.

Pants 10-19-2011 12:38 PM

The frisbee with razors in it was just so ****ing awesome.

dannybcaitlyn 10-19-2011 12:47 PM

The Grudge and also The Ring

rocknrolla 10-19-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8006147)
Blair Witch Project.

I thought it was more laughable than scary.

rocknrolla 10-19-2011 12:55 PM

When I was a kid Amitiyville horror and the Exorcist, scared the shit out of me.
A few years ago, I watched The hills have eyes at 3 in the morning. For some reason that movie spooked me pretty good.

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 8006657)
A few years ago, I watched The hills have eyes at 3 in the morning. For some reason that movie spooked me pretty good.

I thought it was more laughable than scary.

siberian khatru 10-19-2011 01:08 PM

The Legend of Boggy Creek

Nzoner 10-19-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

:thumb:

The scene where the kid afraid of the dark is trying to outrun the row of lights going out was creepy as hell.

Nzoner 10-19-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Actually I started to google search, and found it!

WTACH THIS SHIT

http://youtu.be/4-8ocnmE0Ts

It was a short story from "USA Up All Nights, Night Flight."

Even older than that was a movie called Trilogy Of Terror where a vodoo doll comes to life and terrorizes a woman in her apartment.

Lzen 10-19-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

I've got that one on my Netflix instant queue.

Lzen 10-19-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 8006411)

I was going to mention The Day After. That, to me, is the most scary thing because it seems to be a real possibility.

Deberg_1990 10-19-2011 01:22 PM

Not too much scares me anymore....just get chills.....The Paranormal Acvitivity movies and The Strangers gave me decent chills recently.

When i was a kid The Exorcist, Shining, and Carrie all freaked me out pretty good. oh, and that Doll story from Trilogy of Terror.

Nzoner 10-19-2011 01:25 PM

One of mine was a short from the original Night Gallery tv pilot called The Cemetery about a painting that keeps changing.Scared the crap out of me as a kid and as stated if watching in the right atmosphere still gives me the creeps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bqL66-ZDQoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swanman 10-19-2011 01:25 PM

Its a really stupid movie in hindsight but I couldn't get through Basket Case when I was like ten. It's about siamese twins that were separated at birth but one of the twins was nothing more than a head and an arm, named Belial. The movie was about the brothers going around and killing all the people associated with their surgery and everytime Belial was on screen I just couldn't look at him, it creeped me the hell out.

Deberg_1990 10-19-2011 01:28 PM

Ill never forget watching a scene from "Pyscho" when i was about 9 or 10. The famous scene where the cop is walking up the stairs and then Norman comes out and slices his face and he falls down the stairs. About made me wet my pants......didnt watch the full thing again years later when i could appreciate what a classic it is.

Nzoner 10-19-2011 01:30 PM

Most recently I'd go with The Strangers,if for nothing else just the possibility of it happening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x1TBlPelvbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Otter 10-19-2011 01:31 PM

Did any of you guys watch 'Jacob's Ladder'? I can't believe I'm the only freaked out by that movie.

Deberg_1990 10-19-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8006787)
Did any of you guys watch 'Jacob's Ladder'? I can't believe I'm the only freaked out by that movie.

Ive seen it, but its been years...dont remember too much about it other than he hallucinates right?

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8006787)

Post 23 asshole

mikeyis4dcats. 10-19-2011 01:35 PM

movies aren't scary. some can be creepy, but scary, no.

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8006803)
movies aren't scary. some can be creepy, but scary, no.

Can books be scary?

Otter 10-19-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8006798)
Post 23 asshole

Alright scrotum nose, thank you!

I need to rent that out again if nothing else to see how it's held up.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-19-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8006807)
Can books be scary?

no.

Donger 10-19-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 8006411)

Really? I loved that movie.

rocknrolla 10-19-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8006778)
Most recently I'd go with The Strangers,if for nothing else just the possibility of it happening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x1TBlPelvbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was pretty scary. Its based "loosely" on real events. You are so right, the possibly is what makes is so scary.

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8006821)
no.

Oh okay. Now can you explain how "scary" is not synonymous with "creepy"?

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8006811)
Alright scrotum nose, thank you!

I need to rent that out again if nothing else to see how it's held up.

I own the dvd and have watched it probably 2 or 3 times over the past 5 years -- it has aged very well.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-19-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8006841)
Oh okay. Now can you explain how "scary" is not synonymous with "creepy"?

I don't find movies or books to be frightening. Outright scary. I'll never watch a movie and have nightmares, or be afraid to turn the light out.

I have seen movies that creep me out a little, because of subject matter. If you don't understand the difference between being creeped out by something, and scared by something, I don't know how to explain it to you.

The Franchise 10-19-2011 02:15 PM

The Strangers was dumb as hell.

Buck 10-19-2011 02:17 PM

Marble Hornets scares the piss out of me. I always watch them at night with the window open, just to make it scarier. I haven't seen any in about 9 months though. Are they done with that?

QuikSsurfer 10-19-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8006899)
I have seen movies that creep me out a little, because of subject matter. If you don't understand the difference between being creeped out by something, and scared by something, I don't know how to explain it to you.

Scary, eerie, creepy, frightening --- these words are all synonymous.. If you don't understand that - I don't know how to explain it to you.
I do understand that there is a level of fear, though.

NewChief 10-19-2011 02:22 PM

When I was a little kid (like 5), my older cousins let me watch this movie with them. It absolutely scared the shit out of me for much of my childhood (like half of my bad dreams were based off of it). I watched it again as a teenager, and I couldn't believe that I had been scared of it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068622/

blaise 10-19-2011 02:23 PM

Alien scared me when I was a kid.