ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Saw Dontari Poe at Wal-Mart last night (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304907)

Prison Bitch 01-03-2017 11:13 AM

Saw Dontari Poe at Wal-Mart last night

Shopping right next to me in the bread aisle. When I got home my wife asked why I didn't request a photo/selfie with him. I said I'm too old for that, besides public figures deserve privacy. She disagreed, saying they like attention.

CP, settle that argument for us.

Discuss Thrower 01-03-2017 11:13 AM

Leave 'em the **** alone.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-03-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12657979)
Shopping right next to me in the bread aisle. When I got home my wife asked why I didn't request a photo/selfie with him. I said I'm too old for that, besides public figures deserve privacy. She disagreed, saying they like attention.

I wouldn't bother them for a photo, but I'd probably say something to them in passing...

O.city 01-03-2017 11:15 AM

I dunno that I'd have been asking for a selfie, but I'd have acknowledged him.

Complimented him on the season etc.

ptlyon 01-03-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12657982)
Leave 'em the **** alone.

/Thread

Rain Man 01-03-2017 11:16 AM

Leave them alone. They just want a loaf of bread.

carcosa 01-03-2017 11:17 AM

How much bread was he buying

InChiefsHeaven 01-03-2017 11:17 AM

I'm OK with saying hi, congratulating him etc. But I wouldn't feel right asking him for an autograph or a selfie.

DJ's left nut 01-03-2017 11:18 AM

I think the photo thing might get annoying.

Personally I tend to say something either wishing them luck or thanking them for their efforts. I've asked to shake hands with someone here and there.

My wife, OTOH, is a photo hound. We were at an airport Chili's coming back from Philadelphia (landed in STL) after the Cards won the WS and Lance Berkman was sitting in the table next to us with his family. My wife looked up where he was from (he was still living in Houston at the time, IIRC) and when the next flight there was. Sure enough, there was one leaving our terminal in an hour or so. She hustled down to the gate and waited...because she's a crazy person. But she got her photo with Berkman. At least she didn't bug him at dinner; I had to keep kicking her under the table in front of the in-laws to keep her from making an ass of herself.

HemiEd 01-03-2017 11:20 AM

I am more concerned why Poe is buying his bread at Walmart.

CaliforniaChief 01-03-2017 11:22 AM

Ask him to throw you a loaf, re-enact the play.

Tribal Warfare 01-03-2017 11:23 AM

Just say you're not a bundle of sticks or a 13 year old girl

Rooster 01-03-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12658002)

ROFLROFL Me too!!

He should have told him to lay off the carbs on his bye week and politely took the bread and placed it back on the shelf. :D

Prison Bitch 01-03-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12657997)
I think the photo thing might get annoying.

Personally I tend to say something either wishing them luck or thanking them for their efforts. I've asked to shake hands with someone here and there.

My wife, OTOH, is a photo hound. We were at an airport Chili's coming back from Philadelphia (landed in STL) after the Cards won the WS and Lance Berkman was sitting in the table next to us with his family. My wife looked up where he was from (he was still living in Houston at the time, IIRC) and when the next flight there was. Sure enough, there was one leaving our terminal in an hour or so. She hustled down to the gate and waited...because she's a crazy person. But she got her photo with Berkman. At least she didn't bug him at dinner; I had to keep kicking her under the table in front of the in-laws to keep her from making an ass of herself.

Women have a diff set of rules for photos. Berkman and Poe won't consider younger women an annoyance.

Dante84 01-03-2017 11:25 AM

A simple smile or bro-nod is as far as it should go, in my opinion.

Deberg_1990 01-03-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12657979)

What type of bread did he go with?

I'm guessing not the low carb option?

MahiMike 01-03-2017 11:39 AM

You can take the player out of Walmart but you can't take the Walmart out of the player.

TripleThreat 01-03-2017 11:45 AM

I woulda probably said hey you are the man etc. But I could see why that would be annoying even if it's a compliment, when you probably hear it all the time

Pointer19 01-03-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12657988)
I dunno that I'd have been asking for a selfie, but I'd have acknowledged him.

Complimented him on the season etc.

This seems like the best move. I'm usually one to try to get pictures with famous people (Bill Clinton, Miss USA, Gary Sinise, Ted Cruz), but I'd hold off on this one. Maybe.

BWillie 01-03-2017 11:46 AM

I voted for she is right, just because I don't have it in me to say that PB is right.

BlackHelicopters 01-03-2017 11:47 AM

Say hello , congratulations. Move on.

Frosty 01-03-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 12658017)
ROFLROFL Me too!!

He should have told him to lay off the carbs on his bye week and politely took the bread and placed it back on the shelf. :D

Carb loading, brah

ThaVirus 01-03-2017 11:49 AM

Leave them alone.

I may be inclined to acknowledge that I know them but I'd never bother them even for a conversation unless it was entirely organic.

ToxSocks 01-03-2017 11:49 AM

Leave them alone. At most, a "good game" or a "I appreciate your effort, go Chiefs" something of that nature.

Selfies and player hero worship is for kids. Players genuinely love entertaining the kids, and the kids love meeting them. But an adult? That's just weird.

ThaVirus 01-03-2017 11:50 AM

Billay called some poster a groupie for posting some shit about a player but admitted to asking Tyler Bray for a photo once.

That's some hoe shit. Why do you want to take a picture with another grown ass man that you don't even know?

Mr. Kotter 01-03-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 12658072)
Leave them alone. At most, a "good game" or a "I appreciate your effort, go Chiefs" something of that nature.

Selfies and player hero worship is for kids. Players genuinely love entertaining the kids, and the kids love meeting them. But an adult? That's just weird.

THIS

ghak99 01-03-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 12658009)
Ask him to throw you a loaf, re-enact the play.

Hey man, if I run two isles over would you jump toss me a loaf? LMAO

ghak99 01-03-2017 11:58 AM

I like to be left the **** alone, especially when forced to go to a Walmart, so I generally treat others the same. I don't live in KC, but have had the chance to congratulate a couple players over the years. Seemed like they appreciated the casual encounter.

I walked back by an outfielder after a quick "Love your game, the city will never forget you guys" a few minutes earlier and he was being mugged by a bunch of selfie taking skater punks that were too old to be selfie taking skater punks. He gave me a quick but hilarious, can you believe this shit, look. LMAO

Buehler445 01-03-2017 11:59 AM

I voted you are right. And you are.

But let's be real here. If you've been married very long you, I, and every other married dude in here knows she will be inevitability correct.

I'd have dropped a go Chiefs or something along those lines.

stevieray 01-03-2017 12:00 PM

Should've pretended like you were going to tackle him...:D

Personally, I would've have made eye contact, mimicked the jump shot and been on my way..

Bowser 01-03-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12658019)
A simple smile or bro-nod is as far as it should go, in my opinion.

Yeah, this. Done this a few times.

Frosty 01-03-2017 12:04 PM

I'm not very good with faces so i would be worried they weren't who I thought they were.

Though Poe would be hard to miss.

Marcellus 01-03-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

No shit. I havent been to WalMArt in a looooong time, WTF would a millionaire be shopping there?

Shit he was probably out looking for people to talk football with.

O.city 01-03-2017 12:04 PM

I doubt he'd have been upset with a casual conversation. Being professional athletes, kind of comes with the territory. Just don't act like a douche.

ptlyon 01-03-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12658113)
I doubt he'd have been upset with a casual conversation. Being professional athletes, kind of comes with the territory. Just don't act like a douche.

This is PB we're talking about here

TigeRRUppeRRcut 01-03-2017 12:07 PM

Humble brag.

Did the right thing, dude

Prison Bitch 01-03-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 12658111)
I'm not very good with faces so i would be worried they weren't who I thought they were.

Though Poe would be hard to miss.

I was wondering who could be any more recognizable on our team and came up with nothing. Maybe Charles? Poe's face is so unique and um, so is being 360 pounds. I have mutual friends with former OL Ryan Lilja and met him several times, and he isn't even close to Poe's size.

POND_OF_RED 01-03-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Not only that, but a Wal-Mart near PrisonBitch. Hopefully Poe was just out buying drugs and doesn't actually live in that white trash area.

Easy 6 01-03-2017 12:08 PM

I'm probably going to politely try to get an autograph

loochy 01-03-2017 12:08 PM

did his giant butt take up the entire aisle?

Frosty 01-03-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12658124)
I was wondering who could be any more recognizable on our team and came up with nothing. Maybe Charles? Poe's face is so unique and um, so is being 360 pounds. I have mutual friends with former OL Ryan Lilja and met him several times, and he isn't even close to Poe's size.

Yeah, like I said Poe would be hard for even me to miss. Alex Smith is probably another I could remember since you see him without his helmet the most. After that, it would be iffy.

gblowfish 01-03-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 12658064)
Say hello , congratulations. Move on.

This.

Poe probably wanted to go home and enjoy a nice sammich.

Chiefnj2 01-03-2017 12:11 PM

I would have grabbed a loaf of pumpernickel, yelled "Hungry pig right", bent over and snapped the bread right at him.

Kman34 01-03-2017 12:15 PM

Saw Yordana Ventura at a Plaza shoe store last year and my son in law spotted him and asked me if he should go up to him... I said just say hi and be polite, thank him for being a Royal and If he seemed bothered leave him alone... Yordana ended up being very nice and offered to take a pic with him..... I think some athletes like the attention...

Prison Bitch 01-03-2017 12:16 PM

I did get down in my 3-point stance, and challenged him to run the "Oklahoma" drill against me.

scho63 01-03-2017 12:45 PM

You sure it wasn't some big fat black woman with dreadlocks shopping at Wal-Mart for her kids with a Poe jersey on? :hmmm:

Rain Man 01-03-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12658124)

Allen Bailey is pretty recognizable, I think. He's got distinctive features and he's built like a Marvel superhero. But like others have said, I'm not confident in my ability to accurately identify celebrities, so I would never approach one.

WhawhaWhat 01-03-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12658192)
Allen Bailey is pretty recognizable, I think.

He has to be seen in person to understand the size of the man. I saw him out and about a little over a year ago and it's incredible.

Autographs should be asked for at autograph signings and by kids. If you're old enough to drive a car, then you're too old to be asking for autographs. That includes pictures as well.

siberian khatru 01-03-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12658135)
This.

Poe probably wanted to go home and enjoy a nice sammich.

Or 10.

tx4chiefs 01-03-2017 01:09 PM

Not a selfie, but a paparazzi photo from a distance, just to prove you saw him.

DaFace 01-03-2017 01:24 PM

As an adult, "I love your game, man." is acceptable. Anything more than that is not.

That said, it would be different if you ran into him partying at a club or something.

Baby Lee 01-03-2017 01:31 PM

Fist bump your chest and do the quick chin nod. Walk away.

KCUnited 01-03-2017 01:38 PM

I actually got a head nod from Willie Wilson at O'hare a few months back. I'm still not sure if it was because of my Royals hat or my 40 time.

SAGA45 01-03-2017 02:01 PM

"Watch those carbs big fella"

Titty Meat 01-03-2017 02:05 PM

I saw Poe at Qdoba a few weeks ago and it was embarrassing when some black kids saw him and kept screaming his name and telling everyone there who he was. Give them some privacy. If it's somewhere social like a bar or club I think it's understandable.

Inspector 01-03-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 12658017)
ROFLROFL Me too!!

Yeah...no, don't think I would attempt to take anything away from Poe.

carcosa 01-03-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12658363)
I saw Poe at Qdoba a few weeks ago and it was embarrassing when some black kids saw him and kept screaming his name and telling everyone there who he was. Give them some privacy. If it's somewhere social like a bar or club I think it's understandable.

Yeah I bet he was like "****in BLACK kids!!!!"

BWillie 01-03-2017 02:16 PM

I saw Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Tarik Black together at the Oak Park mall one time in the food court. Didn't want to bother them. I guess a grown man getting an autograph from a kid isn't very appealing to me. However, if I had a kid, probably would be worth the life experience to try to pester them.

lcarus 01-03-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector (Post 12658377)
Yeah...no, don't think I would attempt to take anything away from Poe.

Especially food.

Simply Red 01-03-2017 02:18 PM

Someone like Larry Gura? Sure.

But yeah - walk on by a member of the hottest team in the city & NFL. He'll already have to plan his escape through Walmart, as it is.

loochy 01-03-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12658363)

Was there any food left after he went through the line?

Prison Bitch 01-03-2017 02:35 PM

Seems easy to make fat jokes, but the dude was in full sweats and he wasn't showing much of a gut or noticeable fat. He isn't Gilbert Brown or some of those dudes, he's pretty cut for 360

Simply Red 01-03-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12658423)
Seems easy to make fat jokes, but the dude was in full sweats and he wasn't showing much of a gut or noticeable fat. He isn't Gilbert Brown or some of those dudes, he's pretty cut for 360

to successfully run the fake run aerial pig, you must be agile and damned athletic in the NFL. IMO

loochy 01-03-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

it's all in his legs and butt

Rain Man 01-03-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah, Poe's not fat at all. Poe is big. There's a difference. He's probably got less fat on him than I do and he outweighs me by a small astronaut.

KCUnited 01-03-2017 02:43 PM

I was standing directly behind Dontari Poe while boarding a plane in PHX. My wife snapped a photo, it's pretty hilarious. I thought I posted it here once.

NJChiefsFan 01-03-2017 02:45 PM

I would make a subtle show that I know them. That or just thank them or wish them luck while making it clear I'm not looking to have a conversation.

Rain Man 01-03-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 12658442)
I was standing directly behind Dontari Poe while boarding a plane in PHX. My wife snapped a photo, it's pretty hilarious. I thought I posted it here once.

I want to see that.

I got on a plane once with a guy who must've been an NBA developmental player. He had Chicago Bulls gear and he was a veritable giant. His waist was at my ribs. Fortunately, he got an exit row seat.

Baby Lee 01-03-2017 02:49 PM

Reminds me of my one brush with Chiefs stars, the exact moment not to engage.

The day after the playoff loss to Miami. Jonathan Hayes and Christian Okoye standing in line behind me at the Bannister Mall Waldenbooks. I'm standing there muttering 'stay cool' to myself, when my mom [knowing how pissed I was about the playoff loss] pointed to a Chiefs calendar on the kiosk and yelled 'guess you don't want one of these, huh?'

Mortification.

Baby Lee 01-03-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12658434)
Yeah, Poe's not fat at all. Poe is big. There's a difference. He's probably got less fat on him than I do and he outweighs me by a small astronaut.

I remarked on that during the hungry pig pass. Standing by himself in the backfield, he looks like a regular, if a little thick, guy. Then Alex comes up to congratulate him and comes up to his armpit with legs smaller than Poe's arms.

Reminded me of this

http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/.../01/Image1.jpg

BlackHelicopters 01-03-2017 02:53 PM

I met Carrott Top once.

ptlyon 01-03-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 12658458)
I met Carrott Top once.

My Condolences

eDave 01-03-2017 02:56 PM

Leave him, or any "celebrity", alone.

When I was a skycap at KCI in college, plenty of celebs came through and I saw and met plenty. Be cool and they are quite outgoing and friendly.

Almost had Brian Setzer coming to a poker party with my friends once. Really, really nice cool sweet dude. As was Ric Flair.

Van Halen were total dicks. 30+ bags and a $5 tip. Assholes.

Buehler445 01-03-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12658453)
Reminds me of my one brush with Chiefs stars, the exact moment not to engage.

The day after the playoff loss to Miami. Jonathan Hayes and Christian Okoye standing in line behind me at the Bannister Mall Waldenbooks. I'm standing there muttering 'stay cool' to myself, when my mom [knowing how pissed I was about the playoff loss] pointed to a Chiefs calendar on the kiosk and yelled 'guess you don't want one of these, huh?'

Mortification.

ROFL

Your moms a dick.

Baby Lee 01-03-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12658462)

I think the only 'celebrity'™ I wouldn't be able to resist going up to would be Henry Winkler.

Partially because I idolized him as a kid, partially because I admire him as I've grown. Partially because he seems like a genuine accessible person.

Baby Lee 01-03-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

When I was a skycap at KCI in college, plenty of celebs came through and I saw and met plenty. Be cool and they are quite outgoing and friendly.

Almost had Brian Setzer coming to a poker party with my friends once. Really, really nice cool sweet dude. As was Ric Flair.

Van Halen were total dicks. 30+ bags and a $5 tip. Assholes.

Back in the early 00s, we would catch NFL sunday or MNF at 'The Boats' [the casinos in St. Charles]. Very often there would be a good contingent of Rams players watching as well if they weren't playing that day.

Never treated them gushingly, and they seemed cool with hanging out watching the games.

eDave 01-03-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12658472)
I think the only 'celebrity'™ I wouldn't be able to resist going up to would be Henry Winkler.

Partially because I idolized him as a kid, partially because I admire him as I've grown. Partially because he seems like a genuine accessible person.

Jimmy Page for me. I'd freak out. Oh, and Jim James.

Beef Supreme 01-03-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12658136)
I would have grabbed a loaf of pumpernickel, yelled "Hungry pig right", bent over and snapped the bread right at him.

Why is this not one of the poll choices?

ptlyon 01-03-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

As was Ric Flair.

He was here a number of years ago for a WWE or whatever type of an event. A friend of mine and his daughter were working the event and they decided to go have a cigarette. Ric said "Hey, you mind if I tag along?" They said of course he could come along. They were blown away on how down to the earth he was.

eDave 01-03-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12658477)
Back in the early 00s, we would catch NFL sunday or MNF at 'The Boats' [the casinos in St. Charles]. Very often there would be a good contingent of Rams players watching as well if they weren't playing that day.

Never treated them gushingly, and they seemed cool with hanging out watching the games.

Remind me of when Lew, Why Not? and I met for a WS game. We were at Alice Cooperstown and Coheed and Cambria was there with their families. Drummer came and introduced himself to us. Said he played in a band we probably hadn't heard of. LOL. We met them, bought them a round of drinks. Talked throughout the game. Mets won. Server charged us like $23 extra to serve that many drinks.

Seen plenty in Hollywood/LA. I just act like they are normal people hanging at the place I am hanging at. My GF does concert photography and reviews so we meet a lot of players too. In that case, we just treat them professionally.