ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC So where have |Zach| and all the Soccer fans gone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287388)

Deberg_1990 10-12-2014 08:44 AM

So where have |Zach| and all the Soccer fans gone?

These guys were out in force last year.

I thought Sporting had surpassed the Royals in popularity?

Dissscustt please......

Direckshun 10-12-2014 08:46 AM

Jennifer Lawrence's privacy settings > this thread

Hootie 10-12-2014 08:46 AM

World Cup convinces these nut jobs every four years that people in the US care about soccer...but we don't, and we won't

Hootie 10-12-2014 08:48 AM

I can't name one professional soccer player. I'm a diehard sports fan. I can name tennis players, hockey players, etc...

Not one soccer player. That's how popular soccer is.

Hootie 10-12-2014 08:49 AM

And I played soccer in high school...So no vendetta. Just not something entertaining to watch.

Reaper16 10-12-2014 08:50 AM

We always, always, get the message from you guys that we shouldn't post soccer here without brainless thread ruining. So what did you expect us to do?

If you want a recap of the last few months: Sporting Kansas City had a month long stretch where they played like absolute dogshit. They are injured all along the back line, stretching the team depth nearly to the breaking point. Yet they have already secured a spot in the playoffs & are finding their form again.

Direckshun 10-12-2014 08:52 AM

I think that speaks to the sports media's utter lack of interest in the sport.

MLS popularity has pretty much risen for a decade straight, and KC United tickets are pretty hot items.

KCUnited 10-12-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11007608)

MLS popularity has pretty much risen for a decade straight, and KC United tickets are pretty hot items.

Standing room only homie.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-12-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11007608)

Sporting DC are going for a ton too!

Reerun_KC 10-12-2014 08:56 AM

Hi guys.

Valiant 10-12-2014 09:01 AM

Why was this thread needed?

Sporting is sold out every week.

The Royals do not diminish them.

WilliamTheIrish 10-12-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11007612)
Sporting DC are going for a ton too!

LMAO

DeHack thread.

ROYC75 10-12-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11007592)

Dissscustt please......

Who the **** cares?

TLO 10-12-2014 09:42 AM

Mmm bop.

GloucesterChief 10-12-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11007598)
World Cup convinces these nut jobs every four years that people in the US care about soccer...but we don't, and we won't

World Cup = Olympics. Only have to care about the sport every four years.

TLO 10-12-2014 09:53 AM

http://i.imgur.com/ZUMH3ct.png

BWillie 10-12-2014 10:25 AM

What ive found is Sporting KC fans usually are fans new to sports in general. Not all mind you, but it really appeals to the trend setters. Many of these ppl know nothing about football, basketball or baseball and didn't really get into any sports until after HS

loochy 10-12-2014 10:25 AM

I like soccer. I'm still here. What do you need?

BWillie 10-12-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11007620)
Why was this thread needed?

Sporting is sold out every week.

The Royals do not diminish them.

Its an interesting topic. Sporting has fans, die hards, that go to every game. But from a sheer numbers perspective from the area there are 5x Royals fans, 10x Chiefs fans and NOBODY is watching MLS on TV

Prison Bitch 10-12-2014 10:36 AM

Soccer is ok. If I were gay, I'd like it way more.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Dissscustt please......

See, I have nothing against soccer, except it's gay and boring.

But it's these shitty fanatics who think we always have to be talking about soccer when no one cares.

Stop pretending you are so high and mighty and that soccer is king shit that needs to be discussed in everyone's face everywhere all the time, and maybe people will leave you alone.

Geez, the ****ing soccer fans, . . . I mean, I can't even. . .

Iconic 10-12-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11007602)
I can't name one professional soccer player. I'm a diehard sports fan. I can name tennis players, hockey players, etc...

So you've never heard of Messi or Ronaldo?

The problem isn't soccers lack of popularity, it's the fact that you live under a ****ing rock.

ChiefsCountry 10-12-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11007687)

Hope Solo?

KCUnited 10-12-2014 11:16 AM

I think the city is just happy that we finally broke our playoff drought this year.

Deberg_1990 10-12-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 11007812)
I think the city is just happy that we finally broke our playoff drought this year.

Actually last year with Sporting.

But apparently that one doesn't count.

bdj23 10-12-2014 11:23 AM

I'm a soccer fan. Caught most of the Slovakia/Spain Euro 2016 game. I just don't care to discuss it here with you slap dicks.

BWillie 10-12-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 11007800)
So you've never heard of Messi or Ronaldo?

The problem isn't soccers lack of popularity, it's the fact that you live under a ****ing rock.

Why would you focus on the EPL or whatever leagues are in Europe? I get following MLS, I don't quite understand why you would give any shits about what Messi or Ronaldo do unless they have to play for LA when they get old.

bdj23 10-12-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007858)
Why would you focus on the EPL or whatever leagues are in Europe? I get following MLS, I don't quite understand why you would give any shits about what Messi or Ronaldo do unless they have to play for LA when they get old.

Because people want to watch the best in the sport play? Same reason Europeans follow the NBA/MLB/NFL

mikey23545 10-12-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Dissscustt please......

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/xvRWi1.jpg

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Because that's where the best football is played.

If you lived in Okinawa, would you insist on only following The Yamaguchi Butt****ers of the Asian league of American Football?

BWillie 10-12-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 11007881)
Because people want to watch the best in the sport play? Same reason Europeans follow the NBA/MLB/NFL

Yeah and I dont understand it. When I watch & root for teams, its because I have a geographical or cultural connection with them. Seems to me EPL American fans are those same fans who lived in Blue Springs all their life and like the Red Sox.

BWillie 10-12-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007897)

If you lived in Okinawa, would you insist on only following The Yamaguchi Butt****ers of the Asian league of American Football?

Yes.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007928)
Yes.

Your lack of regard for excellence is, . . . interesting.

It's not like MSL teams and EPL teams are actual competitors, like Raider/Patriots. EPL is simply a superior product overall.

CoMoChief 10-12-2014 11:59 AM

You couldn't even give me free tickets to go out to Sporting Park and waste my time watching a game.

TribalElder 10-12-2014 12:00 PM

Peyton Manning Omaha Omaha

Demonpenz 10-12-2014 12:01 PM

Facebook and Twitter is where the boots are on the ground for Sporting KC. Sporting KC has had somewhat of a Meh season compared to what KC is used to. Playoffs begin soon and SKC still have a solid group of stars.

Eleazar 10-12-2014 12:03 PM

Anti-soccer fans are far more insufferable than soccer fans

BWillie 10-12-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007932)

It's not like MSL teams and EPL teams are actual competitors, like Raider/Patriots. EPL is simply a superior product overall.

Do you follow college sports?

Iconic 10-12-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Liga BBVA not EPL... I prefer football outside the US simply because they have a higher quality of play their. It's analogous to someone in Canada watching the NFL instead of the CFL. Also I mean no disrespect to the MLS, they've progressed rapidly through the last 15 years and only continue to get better.

BWillie 10-12-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 11007974)
Liga BBVA not EPL... I prefer football outside the US simply because they have a higher quality of play their. It's analogous to someone in Canada watching the NFL instead of the CFL. Also I mean no disrespect to the MLS, they've progressed rapidly through the last 15 years and only continue to get better.

And if that is the case, you are a bandwagon fan. No different than the Red Sox fan who was born and raised in Blue Springs.

Iconic 10-12-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007966)
Do you follow college sports?

Just KU BB, but in that case;

It's one of the proudest and longest traditions in sports
It continues to operate at a high level
It's not that big a drop from the NFL, which is the only superior league in existence
and perhaps most importantly
the lack of rule enforcement and the loss of emphasis on defense makes the NBA a less compelling product, even though the talent is superior. Dunk highlights on youtube are sufficient NBA coverage for me.

BWillie 10-12-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007996)

It's not that big a drop from the NFL, which is the only superior league in existence
the lack of rule enforcement and the loss of emphasis on defense makes the NBA a less compelling product, even though the talent is superior. Dunk highlights on youtube are sufficient NBA coverage for me.

Wow that is all over the place then. I dont even know where to begin. So you watch the top competition in soccer, but dont like the top competition in basketball. Obviously its up to you what fandom you support, it just bothers me when ppl pick and choose what teams they root for just because they are good. Being good magnifies my fandom for a given team, but it doesnt change it.

Prison Bitch 10-12-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Well, the Butt****ers are the Yankees of the Asian league.

SPATCH 10-12-2014 12:58 PM

Personally, I found a better place to talk SKC than here amongst all of the dumb****s.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11008044)
Well, the Butt****ers are the Yankees of the Asian league.

Makes sense, the Yankmes are the butt****ers of MLB.

-King- 10-12-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007924)
Yeah and I dont understand it. When I watch & root for teams, its because I have a geographical or cultural connection with them. Seems to me EPL American fans are those same fans who lived in Blue Springs all their life and like the Red Sox.

That is a terrible analogy. Here's a better one. Say you were born in Canada and loved football. If you were going to watch football and wanted to watch the best football possible, would you limit yourself to the CFL, or would you watch the NFL?

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008033)
Wow that is all over the place then. I dont even know where to begin. So you watch the top competition in soccer, but dont like the top competition in basketball. Obviously its up to you what fandom you support, it just bothers me when ppl pick and choose what teams they root for just because they are good. Being good magnifies my fandom for a given team, but it doesnt change it.

It's actually quite coherent. Perhaps your reading comprehension needs remediation.

The NBA has the best players, but it isn't 'top competition' because it ignores many aspects of basketball I enjoy in favor of trampoline acrobatics and ignoring of fundamentals.

And I don't 'pick a team' because they are the best team. I pick the EPL because it plays the game at the highest level league wide and still respects the rules of the game.

There better not be a A/AA/AA baseball team or an arena football team near you, or you are a hypocrite who should be following based on proximity regardless of quality.

BWillie 10-12-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008151)
That is a terrible analogy. Here's a better one. Say you were born in Canada and loved football. If you were going to watch football and wanted to watch the best football possible, would you limit yourself to the CFL, or would you watch the NFL?

Well almost every major Canadian city is extremely close geographically to the US. Its not like its across the pond

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008151)

He's already on record as a diehard fanatic of the Yamaguchi Butt****ers of the Asian league of American Football over all American Football anywhere.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008163)
Well almost every major Canadian city is extremely close geographically to the US. Its not like its across the pond

You had an ill-advised hare-brained notion of a point to make that flamed out. Rub some dirt in it, shrug it off and move on.

SPATCH 10-12-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008163)

Hi, welcome to the 21st century. We have televisions and the internet.

Bugeater 10-12-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 11008118)
Personally, I found a better place to talk SKC than here amongst all of the dumb****s.

Good. Please stay there.

BWillie 10-12-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPATCH (Post 11008203)
Hi, welcome to the 21st century. We have televisions and the internet.

My point is, im a fan of teams I grew up with or where I live. Im never going to root for any English or European team, ever. I know some ppl aren't programmed like me, its just my opinion. I can get maybe following other soccer leagues but there are so many Americans that are huge fan of foreign teams. It just annoys me, because bandwagon fans annoy the hell out of me.

And Baby Lees thought that the NBA isnt fundamentally sound and that they dont play defense in the NBA is laughable. Theres a ton of good NBA scorers that just dont play because they are so bad defensively. In the NBA defense is at a premium in recent years. In college its more of a plodding game that lacks flow because slower defenders are allowed to hand check, hack and grab all they want. The college game has even tried to crack down on this in recent years, but it has only cleaned it up to some degree.

-King- 10-12-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008322)
My point is, im a fan of teams I grew up with or where I live. Im never going to root for any English or European team, ever. I know some ppl aren't programmed like me, its just my opinion. I can get maybe following other soccer leagues but there are so many Americans that are huge fan of foreign teams. It just annoys me, because bandwagon fans annoy the hell out of me.

It doesn't have anything to do with bandwagon. It has to do with wanting to see the best in the world compete. A basketball fan in China is going to watch the NBA. A football fan in Europe will watch the NFL. It's that simple. Do you think hardcore basketball fans in China aren't going to want to watch and root for LeBron, Kobe, Durant etc?

teedubya 10-12-2014 02:33 PM

SportingKC got the championship last year, thus breaking the drought that has allowed the Royals to prosper this postseason.

:-D

BWillie 10-12-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008327)
It doesn't have anything to do with bandwagon. It has to do with wanting to see the best in the world compete. A basketball fan in China is going to watch the NBA. A football fan in Europe will watch the NFL. It's that simple. Do you think hardcore basketball fans in China aren't going to want to watch and root for LeBron, Kobe, Durant etc?

Right. I acknowledged that. Watching is different than rooting for a given team. There are Americans that are legitimately Messi, Ronaldo, or Manchester United fans etc

BWillie 10-12-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Perfectly reasonable to follow the NBA, but root for the Shanghai Sharks or whatever China league bball teams they have over there

-King- 10-12-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008345)
Right. I acknowledged that. Watching is different than rooting for a given team. There are Americans that are legitimately Messi, Ronaldo, or Manchester United fans etc

Why is it different? Why can't you root for something you're interested in? Your geographical argument makes no sense at all. So because you were born in a certain location, you're gridlocked to rooting for the teams in that location? Why? If you like watching EPL, you'll eventually like some teams style or players more than another's and start rooting for them. It's that simple.

BWillie 10-12-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008349)
Why is it different? Why can't you root for something you're interested in? Your geographical argument makes no sense at all. So because you were born in a certain location, you're gridlocked to rooting for the teams in that location? Why? If you like watching EPL, you'll eventually like some teams style or players more than another's and start rooting for them. It's that simple.

You can, absolutely. I just think its despicable and annoying. Just like Chiefs fans that live, grew up in say Seattle without any connections to KC...but became a Chiefs fan in the 90s just because they were the winningest team if the 90s.

BWillie 10-12-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008349)

Yes. Loyalty. Thats why. Stand for something, for god sakes.

Ive been a big Royals fan since I was 7 years old. It wasnt because they were good. Theyve been terrible since then, almost every single yr. Its because of the roots I had growing up, being born in KS, and going to Royals games when I was a little kid.

When I was a 9 year old I went thru a stupid phase where I liked Syracuse & Michigan college bball just because they were good, and just to be different and piss my parents off. Thankfully I quickly grew out of that. The beauty of sports and fandom is it unites ppl and gives ppl of the area a sense of pride and solidarity. That couldn't have been more evident than last night at the bar I was at in Kansas City watching the Royals game. It was a beautiful thing

Following a team thru good and bad makes it even more sweeter when the time finally does come that they are successful

rico 10-12-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Honest question. Considering that this is the case, which country's soccer do soccer fans in the U.S. follow?

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11007602)

You're full of shot too.

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007722)
What ive found is Sporting KC fans usually are fans new to sports in general. Not all mind you, but it really appeals to the trend setters. Many of these ppl know nothing about football, basketball or baseball and didn't really get into any sports until after HS

This isn't true.

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Totally. If you moved to Europe you'd watch some D league football and baseball right?

Or maybe you'd watch the best in the world do what they do...

Mr. Flopnuts 10-12-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11008353)
You can, absolutely. I just think its despicable and annoying. Just like Chiefs fans that live, grew up in say Seattle without any connections to KC...but became a Chiefs fan in the 90s just because they were the winningest team if the 90s.

I grew up in Seattle, and came into my own in sports during their run in the 90's. I'll assume I'm exempt since I was born in KC, and into a diehard Chiefs/Royals family.

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11007924)

So you never played sports huh?

If you played sports passionately and at a high level, you'd have respect for certain athletes capabilities or the way they approach the game. You wouldn't need to rely on geography to tell you who to root for. Knowledge of the game and your eyes would do that.

Reerun_KC 10-12-2014 03:14 PM

I like me some soccer

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007932)

He doesn't care for fancy things.

"Mona who? I like teh pictures Kenny drawed in the bathroom down at da piggly wiggly."

The world's a big place man...

BWillie 10-12-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 11008436)
I grew up in Seattle, and came into my own in sports during their run in the 90's. I'll assume I'm exempt since I was born in KC, and into a diehard Chiefs/Royals family.

Yep. You have a tie, a childhood. That isnt the type of fans im talking about.

BWillie 10-12-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11008439)
So you never played sports huh?

If you played sports passionately and at a high level, you'd have respect for certain athletes capabilities or the way they approach the game. You wouldn't need to rely on geography to tell you who to root for. Knowledge of the game and your eyes would do that.

I did. Basketball, Golf, baseball, tennis.

Golf in college

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:27 PM

So who's your favorite golfer?

aturnis 10-12-2014 03:37 PM

Been watching a lot of soccer. Mostly MLS, trying to decide which team to follow.

Don't want to be a bandwagon fan, but it's hard to look away from the appeal of skilled teams(respect of play), with great fan bases, so the most popular teams are the most appealing.

Same goes for EPL and other top leagues. I have certain teams and players I love to watch. No favorite team just yet though. I assume in time someone will draw me in.

Thinking about making a point to go to as many MLS stadiums as possible to help make my decision.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-12-2014 03:41 PM

You'll love Seattle if you get up there. Their fans are nuts, and the team is fun to watch. Dempsey, and Yedlin don't hurt either. I know De'Andre's mom. That kid is so down to Earth, especially for his age. Great family.

dirk digler 10-12-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007996)

You're on crack. Pick the worst NBA team and they would destroy a KU team or any college team by 30+. The NBA is vastly superior league to college ball or any international league.

And let me add I went to my first SKC game this past Friday night. I had a good time but it is definitely a young fan base and alot of hipsters.

Saulbadguy 10-12-2014 03:54 PM

I went to the bar a few weekends ago on a Sunday and there were a bunch of Bronco fans there watching their game. The Royals were also playing - and they were rooting for them.

I wanted to murder them.

-King- 10-12-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11008384)
Honest question. Considering that this is the case, which country's soccer do soccer fans in the U.S. follow?

England for EPL or Spain for La Liga.

-King- 10-12-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 11008573)
You're on crack. Pick the worst NBA team and they would destroy a KU team or any college team by 30+. The NBA is vastly superior league to college ball or any international league.

The only reason it looks like they're playing defense in college ball is because college offenses for the most part are atrocious. And that's an understatement.

Deberg_1990 10-12-2014 04:01 PM

The fans I despise the most I call them 't-shirt' fans

You know them. The guys who wear the Lakers, Yankees, Heat, Notre Dame gear.....but only win they are winning.

dirk digler 10-12-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11008608)
The only reason it looks like they're playing defense in college ball is because college offenses for the most part are atrocious. And that's an understatement.

Yep. When you get halftime scores routinely of 20-30 pts that is pretty bad. That is one quarter of NBA play.