ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Great older movies you really like that NEVER get replayed on TV (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=343376)

scho63 04-11-2022 08:58 AM

Great older movies you really like that NEVER get replayed on TV

I really wish that TV stations expanded their horizons and played movies we haven't seen in years or cult classics that deserve a shot.

So many of the same shit over and over and over and over. Worse is the stupid remakes that suck balls or worse yet the horrible prequels/sequels.

I'll start with two:

One on One
starred: Robby Benson, Annette O Toole and GD Spradlin.
Plot: High School All Star BB players goes to college and is not so special anymore

Divorcing Jack
only known actor/actress is Rachel Griffiths
Divorcing Jack is a 1998 satirical black comedy. The plot is set around the Northern Irish reporter Dan Starkey who gets entangled in a web of political intrigue and Irish sectarian violence, at the same time as Northern Ireland is set to elect a new Prime Minister. Writer Colin Bateman adapted his own 1995 book as the screenplay.

I would also love to see "The White Shadow", "James at 15" and "Family" television series replayed from start to finish.

ThaVirus 04-11-2022 09:03 AM

Sounds like a good way to get their viewers to change the channel

Buehler445 04-11-2022 01:19 PM

There are a few.

Give me some Deep Blue Sea action. It’s got Sam Jackson doing Sam Jackson things. I laugh at all the Thomas Jane jokes. And it might be relevant again with all the CRISPR stuff going on at the moment.

I’ll also take some Ghost and the Darkness. I’ll always stop what I’m doing and watch that. Particularly after it gets rolling.

alpha_omega 04-11-2022 01:33 PM

Have to think about this one a bit....

The answer definitely isn't Road House. That movie is always on some channel somewhere.

underEJ 04-11-2022 03:32 PM

I just got to watch Eating Raoul (1982) for the first time since National Video existed in Brookside in the 80s. I was 14 or 15 when I saw it and thought it was funny, but I didn't understand some of the more grown up social satire. It is certainly one of a kind! On HBO Max now.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 04-11-2022 04:10 PM

Kelly's heroes, an early Clint Eastwood classic that has an all-star cast, and The Sting with Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

TLO 04-11-2022 04:47 PM

Backdoor Bandit Volume 4 and 5

Stryker 04-11-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 16241929)
Kelly's heroes, an early Clint Eastwood classic that has an all-star cast, and The Sting with Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

Yes, Kelly's Heroes excellent movie! :thumb:

Stryker 04-11-2022 04:54 PM

Actually watching the Porky's trilogy on Amazon Prime right now. Man those movies would not be allowed today! LMAO

Frazod 04-11-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN (Post 16241929)

Kelly's Heroes is still on occasionally - I found it channel surfing not too long ago and of course watched it all the way through. Probably my second favorite Eastwood movie after Unforgiven.

As for the topic, I was actually thinking about posting something similar. There are so many great movies that fall into this category, but the one that got me thinking about it was the old Al Pacino movie And Justice For All, a scathing rebuke of the legal system from '79, and probably my favorite Pacino movie outside of the first two Godfathers. Can't remember the last time I saw it on TV; I'm sure it's been decades. The final scene is unforgettable. I would post the YouTube video, but it is the final scene and would kind of ruin the rest of the movie for anybody who hasn't seen it.

Megatron96 04-11-2022 08:52 PM

hmm.

Beckett (1964)
The Lion in Winter (1968)
Neighbors

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-11-2022 08:58 PM

Body Double
Meatballs

Tribal Warfare 04-12-2022 03:41 AM

Chaplin starring Robert Downey Jr

Robot Jox

Guyver

Runaway starring Tom Selleck

The Navigator ( you can see it on Disney+)

Class of 1999

Cyborg starring Angelina Jolie

House (1985)

C.H.O.M.P.S.

Rasputin 04-12-2022 06:26 AM

You could have a Bette Davis marathon or a week of Bette Davis movies

Two of my favorites Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and before there was Misery with Cathy Baits, there was What Ever Happened To Baby Jane a true horror thriller. Torture.

Rasputin 04-12-2022 06:31 AM

Super Man with Christopher Reeves 1&2 although i liked 3 but not 4 those don't need be played.

Vincent Price movies never get old. The Fly,House on Haunted Hill, Last Man on Earth, House of Wax to name a few.

Baby Lee 04-12-2022 07:08 AM

The most glaring segment is the quality TV shows that aren't syndicated, streamed or sold on media [DVD, etc], . . . or haven't been until recently, because of a failure to secure music rights.

WKRP, Wonder Years, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Northern Exposure.

siberian khatru 04-12-2022 07:11 AM

I saw One on One in the theater when it first came out, by myself (I was 11). A couple of years ago I went looking for it to watch it again and found it streaming somewhere, watched it with my wife because I thought she'd enjoy it.

Couple of other movies from that time period that you don't see much anymore: Foolin' Around, with Gary Busey and Annette O'Toole (again) (and Seals and Crofts songs, again); Fast Break, with Gabe "Mr. Kotter" Kaplan; and one that I'm particularly fond of: Big Wednesday, John Milius' surfing epic with Gary Busey (again!), William Katt and Jan-Michael Vincent.

ThaVirus 04-12-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 16241975)
Actually watching the Porky's trilogy on Amazon Prime right now. Man those movies would not be allowed today! LMAO

I watched the first Porky's a few weeks back, actually.

In truth, it was pretty bad all around. Teen boys perving on the girls' shower room, minors trying to hook up with prostitutes, racism, underage drinking (not that a big a deal, but still..), drinking and driving, abusive fathers, violence, corrupt police, etc.

scho63 04-12-2022 08:43 AM

Easy Money with Rodney Dangerfield and Joe Pesci

scho63 04-12-2022 08:44 AM

Let it Ride - this is a VASTYLY underrated movie.
Richard Dreyfuss, David Johansen, Teri Garr, Jennifer Tilly

htismaqe 04-12-2022 08:45 AM

The Princess Bride...

scho63 04-12-2022 08:45 AM

Broken Flowers - Huge cast and one of Murray's most underrated performances
Bill Murray, Jeffrey Wright, Sharon Stone, Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swinton, Julie Delpy, Mark Webber, Chloë Sevigny, Christopher McDonald, and Alexis Dziena.

Frazod 04-12-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16242445)
I watched the first Porky's a few weeks back, actually.

In truth, it was pretty bad all around. Teen boys perving on the girls' shower room, minors trying to hook up with prostitutes, racism, underage drinking (not that a big a deal, but still..), drinking and driving, abusive fathers, violence, corrupt police, etc.

You probably wouldn't like Hollywood Knights, either. :D

Porky's brings back fond memories. Saw it when I was in high school, sitting in the balcony on my first date with the prettiest girl I ever dated. God she was gorgeous. The balcony usher was in my circle of friends, but we didn't like each other. He just glared daggers at me when we passed him. Actually didn't pay much attention to the movie.... :) And later that night I paid my first visit to third base.

One of the great nights of my life. Porky's will always get an eternal pass.

EPodolak 04-12-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 16242407)
You could have a Bette Davis marathon or a week of Bette Davis movies

Two of my favorites Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and before there was Misery with Cathy Baits, there was What Ever Happened To Baby Jane a true horror thriller. Torture.

If you don't have Turner Classics sounds like you should.

ThaVirus 04-12-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16242981)
You probably wouldn't like Hollywood Knights, either. :D

Porky's brings back fond memories. Saw it when I was in high school, sitting in the balcony on my first date with the prettiest girl I ever dated. God she was gorgeous. The balcony usher was in my circle of friends, but we didn't like each other. He just glared daggers at me when we passed him. Actually didn't pay much attention to the movie.... :) And later that night I paid my first visit to third base.

One of the great nights of my life. Porky's will always get an eternal pass.

Sounds like a fond memory for you lol but I was talking about Porky's in terms of what the other dude said, how it wouldn't fly in today's world.

It's actually a really funny movie. I watched it once when I was younger and it left an impression on me. I saw it on Amazon a while back and decided to give it another go.

Frazod 04-12-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16243129)
Sounds like a fond memory for you lol but I was talking about Porky's in terms of what the other dude said, how it wouldn't fly in today's world.

It's actually a really funny movie. I watched it once when I was younger and it left an impression on me. I saw it on Amazon a while back and decided to give it another go.

I really enjoyed the first one. The sequels, as I recall, were pretty bad.

If you've never seen Hollywood Knights, you should check it out. Another irreverent teen mischief movie from that time period (1980, IIRC) that would never fly today. Two problems with it - first, Robert Wuhl looks like he's in his mid 30s playing a high school student, and all the scenes with Tony Danza and Michelle Pfeiffer, which absolutely bring the movie to a grinding halt. But other than that, it's hilarious.

listopencil 04-12-2022 02:29 PM

Brazil

In a dystopian, polluted, hyper-consumerist, overbearing bureaucratic totalitarian future somewhere in the 20th century, Sam Lowry is a low-level government employee who frequently dreams of himself as a winged warrior saving a damsel in distress. One day, shortly before Christmas, a fly becomes jammed in a teleprinter, which misprints a copy of an arrest warrant it was receiving. This leads to the arrest and death during interrogation of cobbler Archibald Buttle instead of renegade heating engineer and suspected terrorist Archibald Tuttle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(1985_film)

Frazod 04-12-2022 02:37 PM

William Hurt's recent passing made me think about Altered States. There's another great movie that has kind of faded into history. It had some great special effects that would still hold up well today, as well as some very well done body altering scenes that, while not nearly as extensive, predate the transformation scene from American Werewolf in London.

Serpent and the Rainbow is another good one.

Rain Man 04-12-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16242237)
Body Double
Meatballs

Times have really changed. I saw part of Meatballs a couple of years ago, and Bill Murray pretty much sexually assaulted one of the counselors while the laugh track roared. And I was probably laughing the first time I saw it.

Frazod 04-12-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16243162)
Times have really changed. I saw part of Meatballs a couple of years ago, and Bill Murray pretty much sexually assaulted one of the counselors while the laugh track roared. And I was probably laughing the first time I saw it.

Decker pretty much did the same thing to Rachel in Blade Runner. Even as a kid that scene kind of disturbed me.

Apparently she was cool with it, though.

Baby Lee 04-12-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16243162)

Remember Revenge of the Nerds, where if you put on a Darth Vadar mask and give a good dicking under false pretenses, the sorority babes will swoon and dump the jock?

Rain Man 04-12-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16243164)
Decker pretty much did the same thing to Rachel in Blade Runner. Even as a kid that scene kind of disturbed me.

Apparently she was cool with it, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16243189)
Remember Revenge of the Nerds, where if you put on a Darth Vadar mask and give a good dicking under false pretenses, the sorority babes will swoon and dump the jock?

As much as we all roll our eyes at political correctness, I have to say that it's probably good for empathy in many respects. I've seen several movies from the 1970s and 1980s in recent years where my jaw dropped at how different types of people (mostly minority people, women, and gays) were portrayed or mentioned. And this is not ancient history - this is when many of us were in high school.

That said, I'm not going to condemn the movies or say that people shouldn't watch them. They're a product of their times, and they can still be good movies. But wow, I see some scenes differently now than I did back then.

Rain Man 04-12-2022 02:56 PM

As for shows themselves, I'm currently enjoying the fact that I found My Name is Earl and Malcolm in the Middle on Amazon. I'll let myself watch one episode of each on the weekends (okay, maybe two). Those shows are awesome.

I found Third Rock from the Sun a couple of years ago and binge-watched the series. I really enjoyed that show when it was on the air, but as I binge-watched it I could see a noticeable drop in creativity and quality the last couple of seasons. It was a good show, but also a good decision to cancel it.

Frazod 04-12-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16243190)
As much as we all roll our eyes at political correctness, I have to say that it's probably good for empathy in many respects. I've seen several movies from the 1970s and 1980s in recent years where my jaw dropped at how different types of people (mostly minority people, women, and gays) were portrayed or mentioned. And this is not ancient history - this is when many of us were in high school.

That said, I'm not going to condemn the movies or say that people shouldn't watch them. They're a product of their times, and they can still be good movies. But wow, I see some scenes differently now than I did back then.

I remember when I was in elementary school in the 70s, the poem "The Heathen Chinee" was in one of my text books.

Times have definitely changed.

Rain Man 04-12-2022 03:04 PM

Oh, I'm talking TV shows and not movies. I'll recalibrate.

I want to go find Kelly's Heroes. And Pleasantville. Maybe The Great Escape.

smith11 04-13-2022 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16241206)
I really wish that TV stations expanded their horizons and played movies we haven't seen in years or cult classics that deserve a shot.

So many of the same shit over and over and over and over. Worse is the stupid remakes that suck balls or worse yet the horrible prequels/sequels.

I'll start with two:

One on One
starred: Robby Benson, Annette O Toole and GD Spradlin.
Plot: High School All Star BB players goes to college and is not so special anymore

Divorcing Jack
only known actor/actress is Rachel Griffiths
Divorcing Jack is a 1998 satirical black comedy. The plot is set around the Northern Irish reporter Dan Starkey who gets entangled in a web of political intrigue and Irish sectarian violence, at the same time as Northern Ireland is set to elect a new Prime Minister. Writer Colin Bateman adapted his own 1995 book as the screenplay.

I would also love to see "The White Shadow", "James at 15" and "Family" television series replayed from start to finish.

I would like to see again a movie called Go Tell The Spartans, about military advisers early in US involvement in vietnam, with burt lancaster

Stewie 04-13-2022 09:00 AM

After Hours

Breaking Away

Baby Lee 04-13-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 16244122)
After Hours

Breaking Away

You know, I've NEVER seen Breaking Away, and it's one of those films where everyone whose taste I value has raved about and I've wanted to watch forever. It just never comes to mind when I'm in the mood for a movie and when it does come to mind I'm too busy to sit down for that long.

It might be the most highly acclaimed movie that I know I'd probably like that I've never seen.

Some day. . . .

frozenchief 04-13-2022 11:41 AM

Some good old movies that don't get played enough? I reserve the right to add to this list but I'll start with

Big Country - great Western
Cat Ballou - not a big Jane Fonda fan but its really funny
Seems Like Old Times

Pepe Silvia 04-13-2022 11:45 AM

Firstborn 1984

Starring Peter Weller before he was Robocop. It also starred Christopher Collett from “ The Manhattan Project”, Terri Garr, and a young Corey Haim (I think it was his first film). They used to show it on HBO all the time but I haven’t seen it on tv in about 25 years. Weller really showed his acting chops in this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AI-B6vBGVA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cripple creek 04-13-2022 12:43 PM

jerimiah johnson

siberian khatru 04-13-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16244468)
Firstborn 1984

Starring Peter Weller before he was Robocop. It also starred Christopher Collett from “ The Manhattan Project”, Terri Garr, and a young Corey Haim (I think it was his first film). They used to show it on HBO all the time but I haven’t seen it on tv in about 25 years. Weller really showed his acting chops in this one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AI-B6vBGVA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent movie, Weller is terrific.

Rain Man 04-13-2022 04:01 PM

Does anyone remember an old Charles Bronson movie called "From Noon Till Three"? I remember seeing it on TV when I was a teen and it really struck me because it was a western that wasn't really a western and had a couple of odd plot twists. I thought it was a made-for-TV movie, but it looks like maybe it was in theaters. There are a few reviews of it online that are very mixed. I'd be interested in seeing it again to see if 59 year old me would have a different impression of it than 13 year old me.

Fish 04-13-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16244850)
Does anyone remember an old Charles Bronson movie called "From Noon Till Three"? I remember seeing it on TV when I was a teen and it really struck me because it was a western that wasn't really a western and had a couple of odd plot twists. I thought it was a made-for-TV movie, but it looks like maybe it was in theaters. There are a few reviews of it online that are very mixed. I'd be interested in seeing it again to see if 59 year old me would have a different impression of it than 13 year old me.

FYI.. It's on Amazon Prime. Watched it many many years ago. Think I might check it out again.

Rain Man 04-13-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16244916)
FYI.. It's on Amazon Prime. Watched it many many years ago. Think I might check it out again.

I'll have to check it out on some slow night.

Stryker 04-13-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 16242237)
Body Double
Meatballs

Body Double was awesome! Nice choice. :thumb:

mlyonsd 04-13-2022 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16243209)
Oh, I'm talking TV shows and not movies. I'll recalibrate.

I want to go find Kelly's Heroes. And Pleasantville. Maybe The Great Escape.

Kelly's Heroes and The Great Escape are almost always replayed during the Memorial Day weekend on TCM. If you have access to it.

Clyde Frog 04-14-2022 09:46 AM

Better off Dead - John Cusack as Lane Myers. "2 dollars" boy, "Pure snow" what's not to love?

Hamburger: The Movie - Just watched this the other day. It's a classic 80's B movie. Racist, sexist, picking on fat people and Dick Butkis calls an effeminate guy a "f*ggot" so this would never fly today. But I remember watching this all the time on HBO w my parents. Times have changed a lot.

alpha_omega 04-14-2022 12:18 PM

Certainly not "good", but should qualify as "cult classic". I recall seeing this back in the early days of Showtime, but haven't seen it anywhere in many years.

Danny Bonaduce in his finest role....

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Jenson71 04-14-2022 06:06 PM

I saw Martin Sheen's first movie role, The Subject Was Roses (1968) on TCM ~15 years ago. Very subdued movie that is based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play. The two parents in the film were nominated for Oscars, with Jack Albertson (Grandpa Joe in the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka), winning.

It's the only notable American movie I can think of that I can't find on Amazon available for rent.

CoMoChief 04-14-2022 06:13 PM

Executive Decision

The only movie where Steven Segal dies.

Frazod 04-14-2022 06:44 PM

Speaking of Martin Sheen, another good forgotten movie is Dead Zone. One of the better Stephen King adaptations.

Kman34 04-14-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 16246615)
Executive Decision

The only movie where Steven Segal dies.

The best part of the movie...

Stewie 04-14-2022 10:00 PM

It's occasionally shown on TV, but the 1931 version of Dracula is amazing.

Made during the infancy of film making, yet they nailed it. The sets, the lighting and the general atmosphere were stellar.

Bela Lugosi took Dracula from the page to an incredible personification of the character. To this day every interpretation of Dracula comes from his ability as an actor.

Just great stuff.

Rausch 04-16-2022 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 16244594)
Excellent movie, Weller is terrific.

I always liked Weller and James Woods. They just had that vibe like the cool next door neighbor when you were growing up.

Rausch 04-16-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16243153)
Brazil

In a dystopian, polluted, hyper-consumerist, overbearing bureaucratic totalitarian future somewhere in the 20th century, Sam Lowry is a low-level government employee who frequently dreams of himself as a winged warrior saving a damsel in distress. One day, shortly before Christmas, a fly becomes jammed in a teleprinter, which misprints a copy of an arrest warrant it was receiving. This leads to the arrest and death during interrogation of cobbler Archibald Buttle instead of renegade heating engineer and suspected terrorist Archibald Tuttle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_(1985_film)

I always loved Time Bandits. I could watch that flick every single time it came on HBO back when...

notorious 04-17-2022 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16242335)
Chaplin starring Robert Downey Jr

Robot Jox

Guyver

Runaway starring Tom Selleck

The Navigator ( you can see it on Disney+)

Class of 1999

Cyborg starring Angelina Jolie

House (1985)

C.H.O.M.P.S.

Robot Jox kicks ass

House is entertaining. My kids love it.

Angelina Jolie was in Cyborg 2. 1 is pretty good. It has War Child from Point Break as the baddie.

scho63 04-17-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 16249235)
I always loved Time Bandits. I could watch that flick every single time it came on HBO back when...

Haven't heard that movie mentioned in YEARS :clap:

sully1983 04-17-2022 08:50 AM

Fire in the Sky
An Arizona logger mysteriously disappears for five days in an alleged encounter with a flying saucer in 1975. His co-workers endure ridicule and contempt as they are wrongly accused of murder.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-M0dW2p2oL...58_v_v8_aa.jpg

This early 90s movie was one of the most underrated alien/UFO type of movies that I've ever seen. Ignore the 42% rating on Rotten Tomatoes because it features some really legit terrifying scenes in it with some good performances from its talented cast.

I'm glad that I own it on dvd because I can't recall the last time I've seen it featured on tv.

notorious 04-17-2022 08:57 AM

Saturn 3

Farrah Faucett, Kirk Douglas, Harvey Keitel.

Literally the only 3 people in the movie after the first minute.

scho63 04-17-2022 09:45 AM

Logan's Run

Logan's Run is a 1976 American science fiction action film[5] directed by Michael Anderson and starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Farrah Fawcett, and Peter Ustinov. The screenplay by David Zelag Goodman is based on the 1967 novel Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. It depicts a utopian future society on the surface, revealed as a dystopia where the population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by killing everyone who reaches the age of 30. The story follows the actions of Logan 5, a "Sandman" who has terminated others who have attempted to escape death and is now faced with termination himself.

sully1983 04-17-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16249733)
Logan's Run

Logan's Run is a 1976 American science fiction action film[5] directed by Michael Anderson and starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Farrah Fawcett, and Peter Ustinov. The screenplay by David Zelag Goodman is based on the 1967 novel Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. It depicts a utopian future society on the surface, revealed as a dystopia where the population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by killing everyone who reaches the age of 30. The story follows the actions of Logan 5, a "Sandman" who has terminated others who have attempted to escape death and is now faced with termination himself.

I'm glad you brought up Logan's Run in this thread.

It should be noted that director Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) had been wanting to do a remake of Logran's Run with Ryan Gosling in the lead role for the longest time (with it being a lot closer to the book). IMO that would have been utterly incredible.!

Here's Refn & Gosling talking about it well over a decade ago (the quote from Refn I put in bold is pretty haunting considering what's gong on in the world these days)

Ryan Gosling and Nicolas Winding Refn Talk LOGAN'S RUN
BY BILL GRAHAM
PUBLISHED JUN 24, 2011
Ryan Gosling and Nicolas Winding Refn Talk LOGAN'S RUN Remake: "We'll put together a team of futurists and artists and we'll dream on this world.”

There are a handful of properties that beg for a remake that haven't found the right combination to get it started. The latest team is star Ryan Gosling and director Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson), who think they have finally figured out the errors of the previously potential suitors. Since the mid-1990s, the Warner Bros. property has chewed up and spit out every director Joel Silver could attach to the film, including Carl Erik Rinsch in November. The 1976 original directed by Michael Anderson centered on a future society that put an age cap at 30 to help alleviate the threat of overpopulation and limited resources. A Sandman named Logan 5 has spent his entire life chasing down Runners, but suddenly becomes one himself in a mix up. For what Gosling and Refn think is the key to remaking Logan's Run today, hit the jump.

The duo sat down with 24 Frames and explained one major diversion that they are making is not strictly following the original film's technology. Said Refn: “Logan's Run is dated in the sense that everything came true. They've been trying to make it for years with the notion of just trying to remake the original movie. And it has to be rethought.” The technology obviously will have to be updated, but Refn isn't just stopping there. He seems to be eyeballing what got them to that point in the first place.

"The premise of a society that decides to commit suicide is unique, and I think that's why everyone still thinks it could work,” Refn told 24 Frames. Even Gosling thinks they have the key to unlock a remake, adding, "We'll put together a team of futurists and artists and we'll dream on this world.” As for when the film may begin actual production, they aren't in any rush. While they will likely be focusing on their newly announced collaboration, Only God Forgives, they will still be working with screenwriter Will Beall on the script for Logan's Run. "We're still in the stage of trying to figure out the rules of the road," Refn said. Gosling also chimed in, saying, "Joel [Silver] said the other night, 'Take your time and make it good. It doesn't have to be ready at any point.'"

https://collider.com/ryan-gosling-ni...fn-logans-run/

scho63 04-17-2022 01:55 PM

My younger brother and I LOVED this morning when it came out.

Paradise Alley

Paradise Alley is a 1978 American sports drama film written, directed by and starring Sylvester Stallone, in his feature film directorial debut. The film tells the story of three brothers in Hell's Kitchen, New York City in the 1940s who become involved in professional wrestling.

This was the first major film in which Armand Assante appeared. Anne Archer also starred. Joe Spinell, a co-star of Rocky, played the wrestling MC. It also stars Tom Waits in his film debut.

A number of professional wrestlers appeared, including Terry Funk as the foil to the hero. Cameos include Ted DiBiase, Bob Roop, Dick Murdoch, Dory Funk Jr., Don Leo Jonathan, Don Kernodle, Gene Kiniski, Dennis Stamp, Ray Stevens, and Uliuli Fifita. Playwright and screenwriter John Monks Jr appeared as Mickey the bartender.

scho63 04-17-2022 02:00 PM

This is a movie that scared the shit out of my for a very long time. There is a scene in this so graphic with sounds and scenery that sent chills up my spine. If you've seen this movie, you know which one I'm talking about. It may be the most terrifying scene in a horror movie that is neither overtly gross, little to no blood. Just ****ing pending suspense and danger of what is about to happen.

Never seen it in 30+ years

The Town That Dreaded Sundown

It is a 1976 American thriller film[4] and horror film[5][6] directed and produced by Charles B. Pierce, and written by Earl E. Smith. The film is loosely based on the 1946 Texarkana Moonlight Murders, crimes attributed to an unidentified serial killer known as the Phantom Killer. It is narrated by Vern Stierman, who had narrated Pierce's 1972 film The Legend of Boggy Creek. Ben Johnson stars as Captain J.D. Morales, a fictionalized version of Texas Ranger Captain M. T. "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas. The Phantom is played by Bud Davis, who later worked as stunt coordinator on films such as Forrest Gump, Cast Away, and Inglourious Basterds. The film was mostly shot around Texarkana, and a number of locals were cast as extras. The world premiere was held in Texarkana on December 17, 1976, before its regular run in theaters on December 24.[7]

The film states that "the incredible story you are about to see is true, where it happened and how it happened; only the names have been changed." The actual Phantom attacked eight people in or near the town of Texarkana, Texas, which is on the Texas border with Arkansas. Most of the murders occurred in rural areas just outside Texarkana, in Bowie County, Texas, while the film has them occurring in Arkansas. However, the general outline of the murders largely follows reality, with mostly minor artistic license taken. As in the film, the real killer was never identified nor apprehended.

Frazod 04-17-2022 02:10 PM

Logan's Run is kind of the last of the old time sci-fi movies. The special effects weren't bad for the time, but the following year a little movie called Star Wars came out and after that everything changed forever.

I'd love to see a faithful remake, but I don't trust modern Hollywood to not **** it up.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-17-2022 04:00 PM

The Last Starfighter

scho63 04-17-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16243198)
As for shows themselves, I'm currently enjoying the fact that I found My Name is Earl and Malcolm in the Middle on Amazon. I'll let myself watch one episode of each on the weekends (okay, maybe two). Those shows are awesome.

I found Third Rock from the Sun a couple of years ago and binge-watched the series. I really enjoyed that show when it was on the air, but as I binge-watched it I could see a noticeable drop in creativity and quality the last couple of seasons. It was a good show, but also a good decision to cancel it.

Malcolm in the Middle and Third Rock from the Sun are both on TV now.

My Name is Earl I have NEVER seen on any station replayed in the last 10-15 years

Baby Lee 04-17-2022 04:36 PM

One show I never really got to see, except I Netflixed Season 1 back when Netflix mailed you DVDs, is Hill Street Blues. Would like to see that all the way through.

Haven't watched Moonlighting since it originally aired, and would love to watch it again.

Sitcom-wise, I'd probably enjoy re-visiting Wings and News Radio.

On an ironic note, I've seen every episode of Buffy, but have never seen an episode of Angel, even though I have the first 3 seasons on DVD unopened on my shelf.

displacedinMN 04-17-2022 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16250202)
One show I never really got to see, except I Netflixed Season 1 back when Netflix mailed you DVDs, is Hill Street Blues. Would like to see that all the way through.

Haven't watched Moonlighting since it originally aired, and would love to watch it again.

On an ironic note, I've seen every episode of Buffy, but have never seen an episode of Angel, even though I have the first 3 seasons on DVD unopened on my shelf.

I have seen Hill Street blues and Wings on an Over the Air channel. There are quite a few now

displacedinMN 04-17-2022 08:01 PM

Networks do not do movie nights any more. Used to be a few nights a week. Sunday was the main one.

Did HBO kill that or did they decide they could not cut the content out enough.

notorious 04-18-2022 08:51 PM

Damnation Alley.

Cheesy, but decent.

scho63 04-19-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16250202)

Good call out for Wings

That was a really good show and cast. Never see it replayed.

News Radio was replayed a while back but that's over 10 years since I saw an episode on TV

My Name is Earl is another - I think someone may have mentioned that one.

scho63 05-09-2022 03:02 PM

Quantum Leap has some episodes on one of these channels with old shows.

Rasputin 05-09-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 16250177)
The Last Starfighter

Red means stop

Green means go

Yellow means go really fast.

I'm going say I probably liked it better than Star Wars.

Frazod 05-09-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 16287812)
Red means stop

Green means go

I wouldn't go that far, but, much like Tron, it is a wonderful movie that taps into the fantasy that every gamer has - how cool would it be if I could do this shit for real.

siberian khatru 05-09-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasputin (Post 16287812)
Red means stop

Green means go

That quote is from Starman

BigRichard 05-10-2022 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 16287911)
That quote is from Starman

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g3WtvzmKCQQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>