ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Do you support local companies? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270047)

Prison Bitch 02-14-2013 09:15 PM

Do you support local companies?

Browsing the Hallmark store today over lunch to get my wife a Valentine's Day card, I wondered how many people in KC would not purchase a Hallmark product even if it was more expensive. I'm sure my limited spending won't make much of a difference, but I nearly always buy local if I can. I will buy Hallmark, eat at Applebee's over Chilis (even though it sucks), buy a Garmin GPS and use Sprint cellphone service.

Others might disagree. I have a good friend who works at Sprint. He said it's a known fact inside the company that their marketshare here in KC ("share of decisions") is no greater or worse than their national average. So people in KC won't bother supporting Sprint which is a huge economic engine here. I think that's crazy. I assume the same studies would bear out for Hallmark or Garmin.

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

CoMoChief 02-14-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404151)
Browsing the Hallmark store today over lunch to get my wife a Valentine's Day card, I wondered how many people in KC would not purchase a Hallmark product even if it was more expensive. I'm sure my limited spending won't make much of a difference, but I nearly always buy local if I can. I will buy Hallmark, eat at Applebee's over Chilis (even though it sucks), buy a Garmin GPS and use Sprint cellphone service.

Others might disagree. I have a good friend who works at Sprint. He said it's a known fact inside the company that their marketshare here in KC ("share of decisions") is no greater or worse than their national average. So people in KC won't bother supporting Sprint which is a huge economic engine here. I think that's crazy. I assume the same studies would bear out for Hallmark or Garmin.

I don't say that I "try" to use local. But sometimes it's just the best deal $$ wise.

Demonpenz 02-14-2013 09:24 PM

we were going to the WWI museaum but Wal-Mart's selection of guns and people that stink like trenches was way cheaper.

J Diddy 02-14-2013 09:25 PM

I support single mothers. I tip strippers well.

Rain Man 02-14-2013 09:31 PM

You support Applebee's as a local firm?

I always try to go local if possible.

Buehler445 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

I go local if it comparable. I'll pay a little more, particularly if I have to travel, but they have to earn it. I'm not getting any premium locally for my stuff.

Saulbadguy 02-14-2013 09:49 PM

The ****

NewChief 02-14-2013 09:50 PM

Yes. Almost always buy local and small and will pay more. Thankfully it's a huge trend in our town, and our store reaps the benefits. Also, if you live in KC and don't buy Hammerpress greeting cards, you suck. ;)

mr. tegu 02-14-2013 09:51 PM

Can you even buy a card that doesn't say Hallmark on it?

GloryDayz 02-14-2013 09:52 PM

I do....

NewChief 02-14-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9404278)
Can you even buy a card that doesn't say Hallmark on it?

Jesus. There is an amazing cottage industry of letterpress card companies right now.

My indignation is kind if feigned, but we own a store that sells a lot of this shit. Ironically my wife just got headhunted by Hallmark yesterday because of her work in the paper industry. She declined. Heh.

Look up Hammerpress (Kansas city based press that is awesome), sycamore street, rifle, sapling, smock, 1canoe2. All are awesome small presses.

PunkinDrublic 02-14-2013 10:13 PM

I give every local business a chance when I have the opportunity but if they give bad service or sell a bad product I won't use them again.

Rain Man 02-14-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9404287)
Jesus. There is an amazing cottage industry of letterpress card companies right now.

My indignation is kind if feigned, but we own a store that sells a lot of this shit. Ironically my wife just got headhunted by Hallmark yesterday because of her work in the paper industry. She declined. Heh.

Look up Hammerpress (Kansas city based press that is awesome), sycamore street, rifle, sapling, smock, 1canoe2. All are awesome small presses.

Are they hiring writers? I think I could be a really good greeting card writer.

"Get well soon, unless of course you're hoping to die."

"Happy Valentine's Day. Be mine forever, or until that hot blonde neighbor wants me."

"Merry Christmas if you're not Jewish, in which case I'm sorry for your people's torment."

Pablo 02-14-2013 10:36 PM

I buy Boulevard products. So yeah.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 10:38 PM

Topsys Popcorn!

Prison Bitch 02-14-2013 10:39 PM

The poll is running 12-1. How many of them use Sprint? Or bought a Garmin?

NewChief 02-14-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9404362)

"Happy Valentine's Day. Be mine forever, or until that hot blonde neighbor wants me."

"Merry Christmas if you're not Jewish, in which case I'm sorry for your people's torment."

That's pretty close to the humor of a lot of the indie card lines.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/shopsaplingpress

Phobia 02-14-2013 11:01 PM

I support local small business. Applebees sucks. Sprint sucks in KC. I loved Sprint for 7 years in Houston. Moved to KC and calls drop, phones don't ring when called, coverage is spotty. I loathe Sprint in town. I'm guessing the only reason their market share in KC is the same as other markets is because so many employees and contractors utilize the service.

I do shop Owen lumber over Home Depot and Lowes. I very rarely eat at a chain restaurant - always locally owned establishments.

Hoover 02-14-2013 11:04 PM

If I can buy local I will.

If I can support conservative leaning companies I do that too.

Dayze 02-14-2013 11:10 PM

When I had my motorcycles I took them strictly to Smithers. Local shop, outstanding work

I try to buy local when I can. Joslins jewelry is another great place. And The Pen Place (I'm a sucker for fine fountain pens)

Nzoner 02-15-2013 06:57 AM

Being in the direct mail advertising business I support the companies who support me,some are local,some are national.

DaKCMan AP 02-15-2013 07:06 AM

Sure, but my definition of local doesn't include national chains.

Loneiguana 02-15-2013 07:18 AM

If anyone is ever in Springfield, MO, and wants to support a local restaurant, Cielito Lindo on North Glenstone is a great, local, family owned Mexican Restaurant.

pkane 02-15-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404406)

No to Sprint. I had 7 lines with them for 15 years. Finally had enough with their poor coverage and even worse customer service. Switched out 2 years ago.

I do try to buy local when I can. Farmers market in the summer is good too.

KCUnited 02-15-2013 07:59 AM

I only see bands that come to Sandstone.

jspchief 02-15-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9404804)

agree

Canofbier 02-15-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Those are my thoughts too. I voted "no" in the poll based on what his description of a local business was, but I will usually prefer a mom & pop shop to a big chain when the products are comparable.

warpaint* 02-15-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

I do outside of Applebee's. Can't do it. Sucks too bad.

Basically I try to give any local company the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be a pile of hot garbage such as Applebee's.

Then again in that area I like BBQ anyway so I'm always supporting local!

Phobia 02-15-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 9404810)
If anyone is ever in Springfield, MO, and wants to support a local restaurant, Cielito Lindo on North Glenstone is a great, local, family owned Mexican Restaurant.

You should host the next ChiefsPlanet gathering there. How is the cashew chicken at that location?

-King- 02-15-2013 10:20 AM

Don't give a **** where its made. Price + quality is what makes me buy something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo 02-15-2013 10:23 AM

Sprint ****ing sucks. Verizon for me.

listopencil 02-15-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

That's a winner.

Bump 02-15-2013 11:09 AM

I'll support local if it's worth it. Just because something is local doesn't mean it's worth my business. But I do make an effort to go local over asshole corporations.

MahiMike 02-15-2013 11:11 AM

Hate it when people go to check stuff out at the local store and then go buy same product online. The guy working at the store down the street is your neighbor.

Pitt Gorilla 02-15-2013 11:13 AM

Do people still buy GPS?

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

ROFL I would totally buy greetings cards from the Rainman chronicles.

DanT 02-15-2013 11:36 AM

I support Hallmark for sure and will try to make an extra effort to get a Hallmark card if I can. Fortunately, they are fairly readily available in the stores that I shop in the Sacramento area. They've made lists of America's top employers and have done great things in Kansas City, including the development of Crown Center, one of this country's most significant private-sector urban redevelopment efforts. I know they also make an effort at farming out some of their printing work to small businesses: one of my friend's used to get jobs from them for their minority-owned print shop. I like how that company does things and their commitment to producing a quality product. Those are more important to me than the fact that the company is local. But when a company is local, you tend to get a better handle on how well they do things and their commitment to quality. It seems to me that Boulevard Brewing is a good company, too, but I'm no longer a resident of KC, so my hunches may not be as good in their case.

NewChief 02-15-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Hah. I just realized that Hallmark is a "local" chain for KC, so my bitching about people choosing Hallmark cards over Hammerpress was a little off the mark.

I'm with you, though as far as not considering large corporations to be "local." I live in NWA, but I don't consider Wal-Mart to be a local company. Even though they do a ton of great things for our area, I don't support them over other competitors (like Target).

NewChief 02-15-2013 11:51 AM

Sapling Press:
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/562....249661228.jpg

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/562....196388833.jpg

http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/562....226004150.jpg

Ace Gunner 02-15-2013 11:56 AM

yes, I do quite a bit of local biz. probably spent $40k locally this year. I buy from the outdoor market every weekend and I buy local meats/milk, dog food, fencing, gear, labor... and I do this intentionally.

Prison Bitch 02-15-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9405052)
Sprint ****ing sucks. Verizon for me.

So we'll go ahead and mark you down as "No".....

Pablo 02-15-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9405353)

I support my local mom and pop phone providers.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9405353)

Sprint's service is truly garbage. I pay $30 a month for 4G I have no access too where I live, and I have for some time. If it wasn't for the $30 discount I get every month that offsets it, I would bounce for Verizon in a heartbeat that already has 4G where I live. Wifi access almost everywhere I go allows me to choose being frugal and going with the lowest overall cost from my carrier, and Sprint has truly unlimited data going for them. At some point though, I can see the relationship ending unless they do a major upgrade to their towers out here sooner rather than later.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-15-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9405456)
Sprint's service is truly garbage. I pay $30 a month for 4G I have no access too where I live, and I have for some time. If it wasn't for the $30 discount I get every month that offsets it, I would bounce for Verizon in a heartbeat that already has 4G where I live. Wifi access almost everywhere I go allows me to choose being frugal and going with the lowest overall cost from my carrier, and Sprint has truly unlimited data going for them. At some point though, I can see the relationship ending unless they do a major upgrade to their towers out here sooner rather than later.

no you don't

HolyHat 02-15-2013 01:42 PM

Sprint sold out to China...

**** Sprint, They really do suck. I voted yes that I buy local. Sprint is not local (anymore) and they suck.

aturnis 02-15-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9404478)
If I can support conservative leaning companies I do that too.

So you pretty much stick to Wal-Mart?

BlackHelicopters 02-15-2013 06:11 PM

What exactly, am I "buying".

Chief_For_Life58 02-15-2013 06:20 PM

**** sprint

GloryDayz 02-15-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404406)

I do have a Gramin, but not Sprint (anymore). They just suck compared to the Service I get with AT&T at work (downtown) and at home (Lees Summit).

But AT&T sucks balls too. If you're driving North or South on I-435 where it intersects with 350, you can almost be guaranteed to drop the call. I stuck with it (meaning I worked through all their levels of excuses and weak techs) and got them to look into it, and after a LOT of work and phone time, their weak ****ing answer was, "the topology in that area creates a lot of signal shadow." And they don't intend to do anything about it. LOL, you know you have a deadzone, make it hard as **** for a customer to relate it to you and all but prove it, then you just blown them off.

However, since it's all but awesome elsewhere, I'll deal with it and warn folks when I drive through AT&T's failure zone!

Maybe I will go back to Sprint! Just can't do Verizon, can't deal with not getting email or texts while I'm on the phone! Gay in 2013 to still have THAT issue!

**** you AT&T!

The Franchise 02-15-2013 06:27 PM

Those are awesome. Can you buy online?

AustinChief 02-15-2013 06:29 PM

It's funny that Sprint sucks in KC but down here in Texas Sprint kicks all sorts of ass. Never had a single issue and during high usage events like SXSW or ACL when others lose service I am always chugging along just fine.

And how is Garmin local? Aren't they Swiss?

NewChief 02-15-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9406132)
Those are awesome. Can you buy online?

Yeah. Search Sapling Press. They have an etsy store.

Psyko Tek 02-15-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

sorry, I don't understand..
those are all big chains.
are they headquartered in KC?

I try to by none chain for eating out other than that
I feed the corporat beast

Spott 02-15-2013 06:57 PM

I won't go to Applebee's just because their food sucks and I worked there when I was in college at UMKC. They are the blandest and cheapest of the chain restaurants that I can remember, although they did keep their corporate stores in the KC area very clean because their head quarters were in KC. I have AT&T but there's probably just as many AT&T/SBC employees in the KC area as Sprint employees so both could be considered a "local company". Didn't know Garmin was out of KC but I do prefer Garmin over the other brands.

Rain Man 02-15-2013 07:44 PM

Per others' comments, I would probably clarify my preferences in order as preferring independents and smaller businesses over chains and larger businesses. The local part really matters less than the small and independent part. I guess that means that I prefer to buy local regardless of where I'm at since those types of businesses are by definition local with respect to their location.

Maybe I would prefer local independents over non-local independents when buying online, but I generally don't have that information at hand when I'm buying.

And of course, this all assumes roughly similar quality and value. I'm not going to pay 25% more just because someone is small and independent if they don't offer something to offset it. However, I can usually expect better services and similar or better quality with a small independent.