ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jake Long not at top of FA LT list (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270060)

Hammock Parties 02-15-2013 09:06 AM

Jake Long not at top of FA LT list

:evil:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/

Quote:

2. Jake Long
2012 Grade: -0.4
2012 Snaps: 745

Summary: Two years ago Jake Long was playing in a manner that made many hesitate when judging the Miami Dolphins for passing on Matt Ryan; the Falcons’ signal-caller was elite, but so was Jake Long at the “crucial” position of left tackle. Right now Long is just another example of the “what have you done for me lately” attitude in this league, with the Dolphins seemingly set to let him walk rather than pay him mega-bucks to hang around. Remember, two years ago Long was coming off of three consecutive seasons with a PFF grade of +30.0 or greater and was in the conversation as the league’s best left tackle.

Now, after two injury-affected seasons, Long has seen his performances and his league-wide stock slip somewhat to the extent that some may view him as damaged goods. Even so, Long is still a more than capable left tackle and with the knowledge of the “upside” of the first three years of his career it wouldn’t be a surprise to see someone take a risk on him.

Though he didn’t match his prior level this season, his issue was a couple of dodgy games in pass protection that accounted for a combined -7.4 pass protection grade, as he yielded two sacks, four hits, and four hurries to the Colts and Seahawks. If Long’s value is driven low and he can put the injuries behind him, someone could get a steal here. If not, someone could waste a lot of money on a worn down player entering a downward spiral.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-15-2013 09:11 AM

Soooo worth it for Miami to go with the "sure thing" over the "risky QB"

Mother****erJones 02-15-2013 09:12 AM

**** jake long! Whoever thinks hes better than Albert is crazy

Dante84 02-15-2013 09:12 AM

WE NEED JOEKEL

/idiots

Saul Good 02-15-2013 10:28 AM

They should have drafted DeCastro to play next to him.

Dayze 02-15-2013 10:46 AM

they should sign Albert and move him to guard.

Frankie 02-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9404932)

I was pimping hard for JL and I was still right. We were picking at 5. I was sooo shocked and disappointed that Miami took him at the top of the draft. I agree. He was overdrafted by 5 spots.

WhiteWhale 02-15-2013 12:42 PM

I don't understand how PFF grades Albert's run blocking so low when our OL gains a vastly better YPC behind him than it does anywhere else.

Even the Jones/Battle duo averaged 5.0 YPC behind Albert.

Bump 02-15-2013 12:50 PM

the media told me that there aren't any QB's worth drafting so we should go with the LT!!!!!! Look at Miami and Cleveland, a top pick at LT translates to success!

saphojunkie 02-15-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9405471)
the media told me that there aren't any QB's worth drafting so we should go with the LT!!!!!! Look at Miami and Cleveland, a top pick at LT translates to success!

Let's add Trent Williams and Russell Okung to that! I mean the Redskins and Seahawks were in the playoffs, right? Because of the left tackle play!

Oh and we can throw the Jaguars with their genius pick of Eugene Monroe!

None of these teams needed a QB. Just plug and play the left tackle and watch the trophies pile up.

Mr. Laz 03-08-2013 03:09 PM

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
Two O-linemen who will garner much attention in free agency: T Jake Long and G Andy Levitre. Long getting clean bill of health.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Nightfyre 03-08-2013 03:12 PM

Long may have a clean bill of health, but he still has a lot of explaining to do. Such as why he has regressed each year since his rookie season.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-08-2013 03:40 PM

Um....how is he not at the top of the list?
Posted via Mobile Device

saphojunkie 03-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9477624)
Um....how is he not at the top of the list?
Posted via Mobile Device

He's not the best left tackle? Just a guess.

patteeu 03-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9405536)
Let's add Trent Williams and Russell Okung to that! I mean the Redskins and Seahawks were in the playoffs, right? Because of the left tackle play!

None of these teams needed a QB. Just plug and play the left tackle and watch the trophies pile up.

It's hilarious how anti-LT some of you are.

Frosty 03-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SyphiLaz (Post 9477542)
Two O-linemen who will garner much attention in free agency: T Jake Long and G Andy Levitre. Long getting clean bill of health.

Andy Levitre please.

KChiefs1 03-08-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Blaine Gabbert disagrees.

saphojunkie 03-08-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9477742)
Blaine Gabbert disagrees.

Drafting a shitty quarterback doesn't mean that you didn't need a quarterback.

BlackHelicopters 03-08-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9477760)

Why lump Gabbert in with shitty QBs? You mad Bro at shitty QBs?

AustinChief 03-08-2013 06:30 PM

They have Vollmer ranked as #1... ????? I like Vollmer quite a bit but that is crazy talk. For me there are only two concerns regarding Long... but they are HUGE concerns.

#1 is he truly healthy and can he stay healthy
#2 has Miami ruined him mentally

I honestly think an organization as poorly run as Miami can "ruin" a player. You can only take so much futility and frustration before it effects you. If Long ends up back in Miami I have ZERO expectations that he will bounce back to form and be a top 3 tackle... but if he goes to a team that isn;t a complete joke then I expect him to be right back in the top 5 IF (huge if) he stays healthy.

I'd love to see his value plummet and us get him to play RT but that is a pipe dream... in the end I'll be plenty happy with anyone like Cherilus, Smith, Vollmer or Loadholt. :D

HotCarl 03-08-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9477760)

And yet, Jacksonville will still decide they like Gabbert better than any QB in this draft.

Hammock Parties 03-08-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9477962)
They have Vollmer ranked as #1... ????? I like Vollmer quite a bit but that is crazy talk.

Vollmer had a better year than Long, who was no better than average.

Your homerism for this man is reaching extreme levels.

LoneWolf 03-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SyphiLaz (Post 9477542)

I only trust posted tweets if they come from ChiefsandOsfan. He is the undisputed king of the twitter sphere.

AustinChief 03-08-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9478048)
Vollmer had a better year than Long, who was no better than average.

Your homerism for this man is reaching extreme levels.

I like Vollmer and he did have a GREAT year but unless Long continues to be an injury problem, you'd be an idiot to think Vollmer is better overall. The one thing Vollmer has going for him over Long is his proven versatility.

A healthy AND motivated Long is an elite LT. Period. It remains to be seen if both those conditions will ever be met again in the future, I'm honest enough to admit that.

J Diddy 03-08-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9477690)

Offensive line is teh debil!!!!!!

FloridaMan88 03-08-2013 09:33 PM

This will probably describe Joke-el in 5 years.

Pitt Gorilla 03-08-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Not sure Seattle is a great example. They've picked a QB high (Mirer) and stunk. They took a tackle high (Jones) and acquired a retread QB (hasselback) and won. Now, they've taken a mid-round QB and won.

Mother****erJones 03-08-2013 09:45 PM

Long sucks and has been injured the past 2 years. Albert has been better than Long and Clady whom the national media thinks is better than Albert.

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-11-2013 07:30 AM

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo

Per @AdamSchefter estimate just now on SportsCenter, only Mike Wallace will cross $10m APY in FA. Jake Long could be in for rude awakening.

Rasputin 03-11-2013 07:44 AM

Hey this time it's different, we arn't drafting a LT to play LT with our first we are drafting a LT to play RT with our first. It hasn't been done so away we go...

Joekeloff may bust at LT but the easy life of playing RT may just make him hold sollid at that position.

htismaqe 03-11-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9477690)

It's hilarious how utterly myopic you are.

patteeu 03-11-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9484488)
It's hilarious how utterly myopic you are.

I'm not sure you know what myopic means.

O.city 03-11-2013 08:55 AM

Hello RT Jake Long, welcome to KC.

O.city 03-11-2013 08:56 AM

Jake Long, DRC, and Brad Jones.

Good FA haul there.

Sassy Squatch 03-11-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9484628)
Jake Long, DRC, and Brad Jones.

Good FA haul there.

I know there has been smoke about DRC but have the other 2 been linked here as well?

Chief Roundup 03-11-2013 09:06 AM

When reading the OP I couldn't help but think of Roaf coming here off of injury and the results. Yeah I remember we traded for him.

boogblaster 03-11-2013 09:07 AM

we need a center .. and lots of D help ...

The Franchise 03-11-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 9484649)
we need a center .. and lots of D help ...

:spock:

htismaqe 03-11-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9484504)
I'm not sure you know what myopic means.

How about I just cut to the chase and tell you you're a ****ing windowlicking moron then?

patteeu 03-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9484853)
How about I just cut to the chase and tell you you're a ****ing windowlicking moron then?

I think that's a better call. At least you probably know what those words mean.

Bewbies 03-11-2013 10:36 AM

LMAO

If we signed Jake Long to be our RT would there still be talk of us taking Jokel? Yes there would.

Ace Gunner 03-11-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

and you think Matt Ryan is gold? his leash is on and it's getting shorter every season. He's had all world Tony G for years and still hasn't done squat.

not that Long is my choice here, hell, he has major injury issues. I would not like him here.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9484915)
and you think Matt Ryan is gold? his leash is on and it's getting shorter every season. He's had all world Tony G for years and still hasn't done squat.

not that Long is my choice here, hell, he has major injury issues. I would not like him here.

Ryan's leash is getting so much shorter that he's thrown for more touchdowns each year of his career and more yards every year other than his second season where he missed two games.

I wish we had a QB on a leash that could throw for 4700+ yards and 32 TDs before winning a playoff game and throwing for 650 yards and six touchdowns.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-11-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9484484)
Hey this time it's different, we arn't drafting a LT to play LT with our first we are drafting a LT to play RT with our first. It hasn't been done so away we go...

Joekeloff may bust at LT but the easy life of playing RT may just make him hold sollid at that position.

The Germans love that guy!

Frosty 03-11-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9485112)
Ryan's leash is getting so much shorter that he's thrown for more touchdowns each year of his career and more yards every year other than his second season where he missed two games.

I wish we had a QB on a leash that could throw for 4700+ yards and 32 TDs before winning a playoff game and throwing for 650 yards and six touchdowns.

Yeah. The reason the Falcons didn't go to the SB wasn't because of Ryan; it was because of their dogshit defense.

BigChiefFan 03-11-2013 12:29 PM

I'd roll the dice on Long.

Frankie 03-11-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9485290)
Yeah. The reason the Falcons didn't go to the SB wasn't because of Ryan; it was because of their dogshit defense.

From which we just signed a member. :(

Garcia Bronco 03-11-2013 12:47 PM

Looking more and more like Clady and Brown were the best LT's from that draft.

Brock 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Get off the drugs, son.

Bewbies 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

I wish we had a QB with an upcoming $100m leash!

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-11-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9485382)
I wish we had a QB with an upcoming $100m leash!

I wish we had a QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies 03-11-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9486297)
I wish we had a QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Since 2008, Atlanta spent the #3 overall pick on Matt Ryan, traded two second round picks on Sam Baker to protect him (#34, #48 & #103), a second round pick in 2010 for Tony Gonzalez (#50), then traded for Julio Jones to help him even more and spent #27, #59 and #124 in 2011 and #22 and #120 in the 2012 draft.

That's two 1st rounders, four 2nd rounders and three fourth rounders to help out Matt Ryan.

Since acquiring Ryan with the #3 overall pick in 2008, the Atlanta Falcons have won exactly ONE playoff game.

How ANYONE could believe that the Miami Dolphins would have been better off with Matt Ryan as their QB, especially without giving up an absolutely egregious amount of picks in order to surround him with talent, is beyond me.

The Franchise 03-11-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486338)
Since 2008, Atlanta spent the #3 overall pick on Matt Ryan, traded two second round picks on Sam Baker to protect him (#34, #48 & #103), a second round pick in 2010 for Tony Gonzalez (#50), then traded for Julio Jones to help him even more and spent #27, #59 and #124 in 2011 and #22 and #120 in the 2012 draft.

That's two 1st rounders, four 2nd rounders and three fourth rounders to help out Matt Ryan.

Since acquiring Ryan with the #3 overall pick in 2008, the Atlanta Falcons have won exactly ONE playoff game.

How ANYONE could believe that the Miami Dolphins would have been better off with Matt Ryan as their QB, especially without giving up an absolutely egregious amount of picks in order to surround him with talent, is beyond me.

That's all speculation, man. Just because one team spent that much surrounding him with talent....doesn't mean that the other team would have. And that's not even to say that the Dolphins couldn't have succeeded with Ryan as their QB and not overspending to surround him with talent.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9486343)
That's all speculation, man. Just because one team spent that much surrounding him with talent....doesn't mean that the other team would have. And that's not even to say that the Dolphins couldn't have succeeded with Ryan as their QB and not overspending to surround him with talent.

Speculation? What's the speculation?

Matt Ryan has been an underperforming NFL QB. Period. Like Matt Stafford, he hasn't been a Franchise QB. He's led them to ONE playoff game in 5 seasons, yet the GM has bent over backwards to surround him with talent.

Unless the Falcons win the Super Bowl next year (not likely), it wouldn't surprise me to see them move on to a different QB.

Why pay Matt Ryan $15 million a year when he can't win shit?

The Franchise 03-11-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486348)

Matt Ryan has been an underperforming NFL QB. Period. Like Matt Stafford, he hasn't been a Franchise QB. He's led them to ONE playoff game in 5 seasons, yet the GM has bent over backwards to surround him with talent.

Unless the Falcons win the Super Bowl next year (not likely), it wouldn't surprise me to see them move on to a different QB.

Matt Ryan is not the problem with the Falcons. The problem with the Falcons is the fact that they build a 14-21 point lead and then the OC takes his foot off of the pedal. The problem is that they put a square RB in a round hole with Turner.

Sorter 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

They've also gone 14-2 twice IIRC and every one of their playoff losses have come to a SB participant (Cards, Packers, Giants, 49ers).

Rams Fan 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9486343)

The Dolphins were in a completely different situation than the Falcons, though. The Falcons had a decent team but had no backup plan for Vick, leading to Leftwich and Harrington to start. Their coach quit on them, but they had other pieces on the team already(Abraham, White, Babineaux, etc).

Miami had some decent parts, but not to the extent of Atlanta.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

You're including fourth rounders in this equation to demonstrate this egregious amount of picks over five seasons? How about the two first rounders and four third rounders they spent on defense? In theory, isn't that pretty balanced?

jd1020 03-11-2013 05:17 PM

LMAO Falcons moving on from Matt Ryan.

That is one teams "trash" I would gladly get behind the Chiefs pursuing.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486348)

The Falcons have allowed 30, 48, 24, 28, and 28 points in the five playoff games with Ryan at the trigger. Must be Ryan's fault they give up 32 points per game on average in the postseason even though they have scored fewer than 24 points exactly once in those five games.

Brock 03-11-2013 05:20 PM

So now Ryan is just some above average qb? This place cracks me up.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9486372)
The Falcons have allowed 30, 48, 24, 28, and 28 points in the five playoff games with Ryan at the trigger. Must be Ryan's fault they give up 32 points per game on average in the postseason even though they have scored fewer than 24 points exactly once in those five games.

Oh, stop being a dickhead.

The point is that Atlanta has sacrificed draft choice after draft choice in order to surround Matt Ryan with talent and they've got almost nothing to show for it in five seasons.

Pretty much the same as Miami since taking Jake Long.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9486358)
They've also gone 14-2 twice IIRC and every one of their playoff losses have come to a SB participant (Cards, Packers, Giants, 49ers).

But if you're going to compare the draft choices of Matt Ryan to Jake Long and state that Miami "did the safe thing", Atlanta should have something to show for it, right?

Right?

jd1020 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9486374)

QBs who complete nearly 70% of their passes and throw for 4700 yards are yesterdays news.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9486374)

Do you actually think that Matt Ryan is elite?

Saul Good 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486375)
Oh, stop being a dickhead.

The point is that Atlanta has sacrificed draft choice after draft choice in order to surround Matt Ryan with talent and they've got almost nothing to show for it in five seasons.

Pretty much the same as Miami since taking Jake Long.

Drafting players on offense is sacrificing draft choices? Are they supposed to just pick 28 defensive players and no offensive players?

Brock 03-11-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486381)

Without any reservation.

Saul Good 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486379)
But if you're going to compare the draft choices of Matt Ryan to Jake Long and state that Miami "did the safe thing", Atlanta should have something to show for it, right?

Right?

Four playoff appearances in five seasons...all ending with poor defensive showings

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9486358)

And in winning those division titles, they've gone up against such wicked teams such as the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Bucs and the declining Saints.

The bottom line is that selecting Ryan over Jake Long wouldn't have necessarily provided different results for either team.

Rams Fan 03-11-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9486386)
Four playoff appearances in five seasons...all ending with poor defensive showings

Playoff appearances mean jack shit if you do nothing.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9486385)
Without any reservation.

Agree to disagree on that one.

I think Ryan is very similar to the QB they traded: Matt Schaub.

And I don't think Schaub is elite.

DaneMcCloud 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9486386)

So maybe if they hadn't given up two first rounders, three second rounders and those fourth round picks, they could have filled their defensive holes?

The Franchise 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486389)
And in winning those division titles, they've gone up against such wicked teams such as the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Bucs and the declining Saints.

The bottom line is that selecting Ryan over Jake Long wouldn't have necessarily provided different results for either team.

It possibly could have. How many QBs have the Dolphins drafted/signed since they drafted Jake Long?

All of those picks/money could have been spent on other positions.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

What the **** will Smyth win? Answer: jack AND ****. So there's that,yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486381)

Not elite... well above average but not elite.

And people acting like the Dolphins somehow would be better off with Ryan is ludicrous. That organization is so ****ed. Yes, we all know QB is the most important position but let's not swing so far to delusional that we think a QB can fix a completely dysfunctional org.

Brock 03-11-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9486391)
Agree to disagree on that one.

I think Ryan is very similar to the QB they traded: Matt Schaub.

And I don't think Schaub is elite.

Schaub is just a journeyman. Ryan will end up in the hof.

The Franchise 03-11-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9486390)
Playoff appearances mean jack shit if you do nothing.

Well then.....the Patriots have wasted draft picks and money surrounding Tom Brady with weapons.....and won jack shit since 2005. What a ****ing waste....

Rams Fan 03-11-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9486394)
It possibly could have. How many QBs have the Dolphins drafted/signed since they drafted Jake Long?

All of those picks/money could have been spent on other positions.

They picked 2 QBs in the ****ing 2nd round 2 consecutive seasons in a row(Beck being prior to Long and White) as well as taking Tannehill in the 1st.

BryanBusby 03-11-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9486399)
Ryan will end up in the hof.

lol what