ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303381)

duncan_idaho 01-24-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12706488)
Perhaps not something that could even be rationally considered, but how about Lynn/Garcia/Adams for Moustakas?

Lynn's a workhorse starter coming off injury. Obviously TJ isn't anything to just take for granted, but it's not appreciably more likely than an ACL surgery to linger. Both Lynn and Moustakas are pending FAs and would yield draft pick compensation if they walked (presuming the deal is made now). Lynn may be slightly less likely to hit that $50 million mark but if he has a solid second half, he'll get there, IMO. He's not a big time breaking ball pitcher so he'll find his form sooner than most and since he had his TJ surgery in spring last season, I would expect he'll be at full roar by May at the worst.

Adams has been discussed.

Greg Garcia is a guy that gets ****ed over more often than Butters Stotch. All that guy has done is outplay Kolten Wong at every level and at a harder position (SS). He played alongside Wong at Hawaii but was simply never as 'pedigreed' a player. Last year he finally gets some extended run and puts up a .393 OBP and 1.8 WAR in a whopping 250 plate appearances. The guy can be a good major league starting 2b and he's entering his prime, yet all we ever do in STL is bury his ass because he wasn't a shiny first round pick like that ****ing hyperactive terrier we gave a 5 year extension to.

The Royals would get 5 years of him and I'm telling you, this guy takes nothing but quality ABs. He'd be a 3-WAR player in a full-time role with ease, IMO. He's played SS his entire minor league/college career and when asked to sub at 2b, he's done so quite well.

Mostly, I just really want to see this kid get a shot somewhere and the Royals could use a long-term 2b in the worst way. He can play there and play well. I'd much rather send you Wong but I don't think anyone's fooled by that clown anymore.

If Moore thinks he can get Moustakas extended, that's definitely the route I'd take. But if they can't come to terms, wouldn't this be worth considering?

I like the idea. Give me Trevor Rosenthal instead of that worthless turd Adams, and I think it's a deal.

Re: Ventura death benefits... I think his family is going to get them regardless, or at least some of them.

Just another reason for guys who didn't sign for much guaranteed money initially to do the club-friendly early extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why Not? 01-24-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Perhaps not something that could even be rationally considered, but how about Lynn/Garcia/Adams for Moustakas?

Lynn's a workhorse starter coming off injury. Obviously TJ isn't anything to just take for granted, but it's not appreciably more likely than an ACL surgery to linger. Both Lynn and Moustakas are pending FAs and would yield draft pick compensation if they walked (presuming the deal is made now). Lynn may be slightly less likely to hit that $50 million mark but if he has a solid second half, he'll get there, IMO. He's not a big time breaking ball pitcher so he'll find his form sooner than most and since he had his TJ surgery in spring last season, I would expect he'll be at full roar by May at the worst.

Greg Garcia is a guy that gets ****ed over more often than Butters Stotch. All that guy has done is outplay Kolten Wong at every level and at a harder position (SS). He played alongside Wong at Hawaii but was simply never as 'pedigreed' a player. Last year he finally gets some extended run and puts up a .393 OBP and 1.8 WAR in a whopping 250 plate appearances. The guy can be a good major league starting 2b and he's entering his prime, yet all we ever do in STL is bury his ass because he wasn't a shiny first round pick like that ****ing hyperactive terrier we gave a 5 year extension to.

The Royals would get 5 years of him and I'm telling you, this guy takes nothing but quality ABs. He'd be a 3-WAR player in a full-time role with ease, IMO. He's played SS his entire minor league/college career and when asked to sub at 2b, he's done so quite well.

Mostly, I just really want to see this kid get a shot somewhere and the Royals could use a long-term 2b in the worst way. He can play there and play well. I'd much rather send you Wong but I don't think anyone's fooled by that clown anymore.

If Moore thinks he can get Moustakas extended, that's definitely the route I'd take. But if they can't come to terms, wouldn't this be worth considering?

I would love for Greg Garcia to be a Royal, some way, somehow. Definitely want to keep Moose but if he must be moved GG would be a good part of a return. I agree with you and it's not just UH blinders. I think Garcia could be a baller if given a real shot

DJ's left nut 01-24-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12707087)
I like the idea. Give me Trevor Rosenthal instead of that worthless turd Adams, and I think it's a deal.

Re: Ventura death benefits... I think his family is going to get them regardless, or at least some of them.

Just another reason for guys who didn't sign for much guaranteed money initially to do the club-friendly early extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna need something back if you get Rosenthal.

Rosie isn't a reliever, shouldn't have ever been a reliever and I don't care how many sparkly save stats he racked up. That guy came to the big leagues with a starters frame, a fully formed curveball with plus depth and a nice change to go with a 98 mph fastball that retained its velocity through the 7th. He was a dynamite starting pitcher in the minors.

Mike Matheny, a ****ing mouthbreathing idiot, was scared of actually having to do his job and navigate the 8th and 9th innings so he forced Rosenthal into the closers role.

He'd have done the same damn thing with Martinez had Miller not been traded.

I wouldn't be willing to include Rosenthal in that deal. The Cards can still salvage him. At 26 yrs old with only 300 IP on the odometer, he's a fantastic candidate to get stretched out and turned back into a starter. He can still become the front of the rotation horse that his build, mentality and stuff always said he could be.

And again - **** you in the face, Mike Matheny. Goddamn reerun.

Chiefspants 01-24-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12707114)
Gonna need something back if you get Rosenthal.

Rosie isn't a reliever, shouldn't have ever been a reliever and I don't care how many sparkly save stats he racked up. That guy came to the big leagues with a starters frame, a fully formed curveball with plus depth and a nice change to go with a 98 mph fastball that retained its velocity through the 7th. He was a dynamite starting pitcher in the minors.

Mike Matheny, a ****ing mouthbreathing idiot, was scared of actually having to do his job and navigate the 8th and 9th innings so he forced Rosenthal into the closers role.

He'd have done the same damn thing with Martinez had Miller not been traded.

I wouldn't be willing to include Rosenthal in that deal. The Cards can still salvage him. At 26 yrs old with only 300 IP on the odometer, he's a fantastic candidate to get stretched out and turned back into a starter. He can still become the front of the rotation horse that his build, mentality and stuff always said he could be.

And again - **** you in the face, Mike Matheny. Goddamn reerun.

This is all true, but...

Counterpoint: No one wants Fatt Adams.

DJ's left nut 01-24-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 12707117)
This is all true, but...

Counterpoint: No one wants Fatt Adams.

<iframe seamless="seamless" style="width: 100%; border: none; display: block; max-width: 420px; height: 360px;" src="https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed/0cdba589-4682-4939-83df-ba67ce9027f0?autoplay=false"> </iframe>

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-24-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 12707097)
I would love for Greg Garcia to be a Royal, some way, somehow. Definitely want to keep Moose but if he must be moved GG would be a good part of a return. I agree with you and it's not just UH blinders. I think Garcia could be a baller if given a real shot

Garcia? Really? He doesn't give us anything more than Christian Colon currently does. He's a backup utility Infielder that gets on base a good clip, with average speed.

DJ's left nut 01-24-2017 04:36 PM

Gotta watch Garcia play to appreciate him.

The guy does everything you want a ballplayer to do. I hate the old 'he plays the game the right way' cliche, but I'll be damned if he doesn't do exactly that.

Honestly, with the game on the line, a man on 2nd or 3rd and a righty on the mound, I'd want Carpenter up first and right behind him - Greg Garcia. The guy simply takes good AB after good AB. And he can go up there and battle against any kind of pitcher you throw at him.

He's a utility infielder that would give you very similar performance to DJ LeMahieu if given a season's worth of ABs; maybe Cesar Hernandez with fewer steals. I think Joe Panik would be about his floor. He's a starting caliber player stuck behind an inferior option because he has a functionally braindead manager and a GM unwilling to admit a mistake.

The kid's a ballplayer.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-24-2017 04:45 PM

I get it, you like him. But like I said... we have virtually the same player on the roster already. Why trade one of your team's catalysts in Moustakas for another guy you already have.

ChiefsCountry 01-24-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

This screams more of a July deal instead of Hot Stove time.

DJ's left nut 01-24-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12707153)
I get it, you like him. But like I said... we have virtually the same player on the roster already. Why trade one of your team's catalysts in Moustakas for another guy you already have.

Because you don't.

Colon isn't nearly as polished an offensive player nor is he lefthanded (which hurts him even more as a guy with holes in his swing). Colon is a rank and file utility player who would probably settle in around 2 WAR if playing every day. Garcia is a genuine starting caliber player who could lead off or bat #2.

You're calling them the same player because they were utilized similarly but Garcia is simply a better hitter and with a grasp of the strike zone that portends sustained production. Colon's K rate is similar but it's not because he has a great feel for the zone - it's because he swings a lot and pitchers challenge him due to his minimal power. That means a lot of balls in play and very few Ks. Garcia, OTOH, forces pitchers to work around him.

Boil that down and you see it most clearly in a key offensive stat: wRC+. Greg Garcia's 111 last year suggests he's 11% better than the league average hitter; pretty damn good for a 2b who's being compared to all other positions that don't carry a defensive premium. Colon's was 58; 42% worse than league average. No, these are not the same player at all. Garcia is a much, MUCH better one.

Besides, you're not trading him straight across, you're also getting a very good #2/#3 starter in Lynn. He'd be perfect complement to Duffy as they have very different styles/stuff.

DJ's left nut 01-24-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 12707165)
This screams more of a July deal instead of Hot Stove time.

Spring Training deal, IMO.

July deal takes possible draft pick compensation off the table for both squads and I think that's relevant to them.

But you're right, apart from that, giving it 2-3 months to see if Moose and Lynn bounce back would make sense.

duncan_idaho 01-24-2017 06:30 PM

I like Garcia's ability to fit at second and ability to work pitchers. He doesn't have tremendous power, but it looks like he has enough punch to keep pitchers from just popping it down the middle and making him do something with it.

A season of Lynn for a season of Moustakas would probably be a pretty equitable deal if they both were healthy and coming off solid seasons, but that TJ risk with Lynn makes the kickers make sense for KC.

I'm open to pieces other than Rosenthal for Adams, just have no use for Adams and forget, sometimes, that Cardinals fans aren't as ****ing dumb as Mike Matheny.

Chiefspants 01-24-2017 06:35 PM

This conversation is why I love having intelligent opposing fans in this thread, it curbs the homeristic trade speculation.

It's nice not to see the typical "Esky, Colon and Dozier for Stanton!!" type posts that would go relatively unchallenged a couple of seasons ago, it's also been refreshing to have more of an in depth look at opposing players.

IE, you should stick around for the seasons, DJ. I'll still never want Adams, though.

Prison Bitch 01-24-2017 06:53 PM

Nut is wrong, Rosenthal is an AL closer with that arm. I'd put him in the closer role and sleepwalk thru 37 automatic saves. He +!Garcia for Moose, I'd do that.

Great Expectations 01-24-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12706581)
A)

So there's a good chance that either the contract isn't paid outright or that the Royals aren't the ones paying it. Probably found money for the Royals.

If the Royals collect on their insurance I think they pass that money on to the family. Also, his MLB insurance will get the family around $1.4 mil.