ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

penguinz 08-15-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888865)
Every lift day is leg day on SS.

I don't know if you saw, but I just started Tuesday and have really bad DOMS in my thighs. At work all day when I stood up they were really sore, but if I went for a long walk, they would not hurt as bad, so I just tried a quick warmup before trying squats, it didn't help at all.

If you are interested in building bulk then you are over-working by doing this.

Buck 08-15-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9888893)
If you are interested in building bulk then you are over-working by doing this.

Not really. I just want to be the size I am now, but not pudgy.

penguinz 08-15-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888899)
Not really. I just want to be the size I am now, but not pudgy.

Then why are you worried about adding 1000 calories to diet on lift days?

Buck 08-15-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9888911)
Then why are you worried about adding 1000 calories to diet on lift days?

I still need to eat more than normal since I'm lifting.

Unless I'm just completely off base, seems to make sense.

penguinz 08-15-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888917)
I still need to eat more than normal since I'm lifting.

Unless I'm just completely off base, seems to make sense.

If you want to lose pudge then keep calories the same and lift. When you lose the fat you want then add calories if you want to add bulk to your frame.

Buck 08-15-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9888938)
If you want to lose pudge then keep calories the same and lift. When you lose the fat you want then add calories if you want to add bulk to your frame.

Ok. A lot of this stuff seems overwhelming, I need to try to keep it simple.

lewdog 08-15-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888956)

Get consistent with the actual lifting first, worry about diet later.

Once consistent with the load/stress of lifting, adjust your diet with more calories to add muscle or calorie deficit to lose fat. I say give it a good 2-3 months of just getting consistent lifting before tweaking the diet at this point.

lewdog 08-15-2013 09:28 PM

I've got a starting beginners upper/lower split that I think would be a good base for you. PM me Buck. I might not get to it tonight but I surely will in the next few days.

Buck 08-15-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9888968)
Get consistent with the actual lifting first, worry about diet later.

Once consistent with the load/stress of lifting, adjust your diet with more calories to add muscle or calorie deficit to lose fat. I say give it a good 2-3 months of just getting consistent lifting before tweaking the diet at this point.

Ok, but the thing is I have been on Keto and I quit because I want to lift, I remember how weak I always was before when lifting on keto.

I've been out of the carb game for so long, I don't really know what is good for me. Trying to keep insulin spikes to a minimum.

Buck 08-15-2013 10:06 PM

Thanks lewdog.

Silock 08-15-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888975)
Trying to keep insulin spikes to a minimum.

You have zero reason to worry about that right now. Just keep your calories in check.

Aspengc8 08-16-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9889247)
You have zero reason to worry about that right now. Just keep your calories in check.

This x1000. If you are really that carbo-phobic, limit them to your pre-workout meal and meal after lifting. Definitely get off SS and check out Lewdog's 4x upper/lower split. It's touted as a beginners routine because it keeps volume in check for you and has built in programming.. other than that it leaves out too much important stuff.

And yes, you can do cardio on leg days. We actually end every leg day with prowler work. you want to eat at or around your maintenance level calorie wise, and use the lifting to create the deficit. This way you completely starve yourself and sap your strength levels. Maybe even look into some of Lyle McDonalds programs like Sli did. He also has a 'generic bulking program' that i heard works well.

penguinz 08-16-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9889432)
This x1000. If you are really that carbo-phobic, limit them to your pre-workout meal and meal after lifting. Definitely get off SS and check out Lewdog's 4x upper/lower split. It's touted as a beginners routine because it keeps volume in check for you and has built in programming.. other than that it leaves out too much important stuff.

And yes, you can do cardio on leg days. We actually end every leg day with prowler work. you want to eat at or around your maintenance level calorie wise, and use the lifting to create the deficit. This way you completely starve yourself and sap your strength levels. Maybe even look into some of Lyle McDonalds programs like Sli did. He also has a 'generic bulking program' that i heard works well.

Your leg workouts suck then. :P I can barely make it back to the locker room to change when I am finished.

Aspengc8 08-16-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9889481)
Your leg workouts suck then. :P I can barely make it back to the locker room to change when I am finished.

All depends on your conditioning level. We've been doing it for years for football. Both leg sessions each week end in either prowler pushes, and we use that to add volume for quads and hams, as well as the added conditioning so we dont have to have 'cardio' days.

let me know if you ever pass through NY. Your welcome to join us for one of our shitty banded box squat sessions :)
I'll even treat you to some of NYC's best pizza if you even feel like eating after that.

Omaha 08-16-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9888956)

Dude, you are trying to shed fat. Forcing down an extra 1k calories when you're not hungry should not ne on your list of things to do.