ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

bsp4444 03-13-2013 12:34 PM

I'd like to see Will Smith get a shot at the 5th spot. A left hander sure would be nice.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9493312)
I don't know if this was posted ... Can this be true!?!?!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...var-to-bullpen

Royals move Luke Hochevar to bullpen

Former prized prospect Luke Hochevar will no longer be a member of the Kansas City Royals starting rotation. Royals manager Ned Yost told reporters Wednesday morning that Hochevar will be moved to the bullpen (kansascity.com).

The decision leaves Luis Mendoza and Bruce Chen in competition for the fifth starter job behind James Shields, Jeremy Guthrie, Ervin Santana and Wade Davis. None of those four already in the rotation were with the Royals at this time last year.

Hochevar's demotion is most notable due to the fact that he was the top overall draft pick in 2006 out of the University of Tennessee. He was once viewed as a future ace of the Royals' staff, but has gone 38-59 with a 5.73 ERA and 1.40 ERA in 771 career innings. He led the majors in earned runs allowed last season and is now 29 years old. So, yes, unfortunately the word "bust" can be bandied about here.

Some names that were drafted in the first round after Hochevar in 2006: Evan Longoria, Brandon Morrow, Clayton Kershaw, Tim Lincecum, Max Scherzer, Ian Kennedy.

Then again, in fairness to Hochevar and the Royals, here are some others from that first round: Greg Reynolds (second overall), Billy Rowell, Kasey Kiker, Colten Willems, Maxwell Sapp, Cody Johnson and Jason Place.

Man, that draft sucked.

Evan Longoria was the only guy who was projected as a sure major league type.

Kershaw was a LH high school pitcher, and no LH high school pitcher has ever made it to the majors after being selected No. 1 overall.

Lincecum is a tiny, unconventional guy. His body lasted 2-4 more years than most expected, but it appears to be breaking down now.

Morrow, Scherzer, Hochevar and Kennedy were very similar (though I don't remember Kennedy being in discussion for No. 1)

They should have just taken Evan Longoria and dealt with the rest, positions be damned.

Saul Good 03-13-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9493407)
Man, that draft sucked.

Evan Longoria was the only guy who was projected as a sure major league type.

Kershaw was a LH high school pitcher, and no LH high school pitcher has ever made it to the majors after being selected No. 1 overall.

Lincecum is a tiny, unconventional guy. His body lasted 2-4 more years than most expected, but it appears to be breaking down now.

Morrow, Scherzer, Hochevar and Kennedy were very similar (though I don't remember Kennedy being in discussion for No. 1)

They should have just taken Evan Longoria and dealt with the rest, positions be damned.

No pitcher drafted #1 had ever been very good before David Price.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9493512)
No pitcher drafted #1 had ever been very good before David Price.

I wouldn't go that far.

Floyd Bannister - was never great but pitched in the majors for 15 years and made one all-star team

Mike Moore - also was never really great, but was a key cog of Oakland's staff during the late 80s/early 90s run and had some very great seasons for them. Was basically a league average guy over the course of his career. Also made a few all-star teams.

Tim Belcher - Was an elite pitcher in several seasons and a key cog behind Orel Hershiser when the Dodgers won the WS.

Andy Benes - Was a solid No. 2/3 starter for several years in San Diego, got hurt, then was a solid No. 2/3 starter for several years in St. Louis. Several all-star appearances.

There were 12 pitchers taken No. 1 between the start of the draft and Price. This includes a long period - strike to recent CBA - in which the best guy often slipped because of signability issues.

4/12 success rate isn't great, but it's not awful for MLB drafting, either.

If you include the 3 guys taken SINCE Price (Price, Strasburg and Cole), your success rate increase to 6/15.

(I'm bored, can you tell?)

DeezNutz 03-13-2013 02:22 PM

I'm not taking a pitcher at 1/1 in the MLB draft, pretty much no matter the talent level of the pitcher.

There HAS to be a stud position player in the draft, and the organization MUST find him. Pitchers are too fragile (given the unnatural act of throwing a baseball) and often too psychologically pussy to justify that type of investment.

No thanks.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9493852)
I'm not taking a pitcher at 1/1 in the MLB draft, pretty much no matter the talent level of the pitcher.

There HAS to be a stud position player in the draft, and the organization MUST find him. Pitchers are too fragile (given the unnatural act of throwing a baseball) and often too psychologically pussy to justify that type of investment.

No thanks.

I'm willing to make exceptions.

Maybe not for Gerrit Cole, but if a Strasburg or David Price is sitting there? I'll take a swing. I think the likelihood of GREAT college pitchers becoming more common in the MLB draft is going to go up with the new CBA. More guys will go to college rather than accept a late-round, over-slot deal.

If you're playing the percentages, college hitter is the least likely to bust. Followed closely by HS hitter and college pitcher (which are very close). HS pitcher has, by far, the WORST success rate.

DeezNutz 03-13-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9493878)
I'm willing to make exceptions.

Maybe not for Gerrit Cole, but if a Strasburg or David Price is sitting there? I'll take a swing. I think the likelihood of GREAT college pitchers becoming more common in the MLB draft is going to go up with the new CBA. More guys will go to college rather than accept a late-round, over-slot deal.

If you're playing the percentages, college hitter is the least likely to bust. Followed closely by HS hitter and college pitcher (which are very close). HS pitcher has, by far, the WORST success rate.

Strasburg is the exact reason why I'm not particularly interested in the position. Highly projectible, insanely talented, relatively "safe," and he still loses a year to Tommy Johns.

The counter-argument for my stance, however, is that the first round in '09 was a complete bag of shit for position players not named Trout.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9493925)
Strasburg is the exact reason why I'm not particularly interested in the position. Highly projectible, insanely talented, relatively "safe," and he still loses a year to Tommy Johns.

The counter-argument for my stance, however, is that the first round in '09 was a complete bag of shit for position players not named Trout.

I understand. It's a stance similar to Dayton Moore's, supposedly (though it has become clear the Hochevar pick was one of HIS picks).

I figure the 3-4 great years you get from a guy like Stras are worth it, even if he falls apart physically (a la Mark Prior).

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-13-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9493878)

Unfortunately, Our run on selecting pitching in the first round lasted a long, long time.

Starting in 1992 we selected James Pittsley in the 1st, followed by Jeff Granger in 1993.. '97, (two in) '98, (two again in) '99, '00, '01, '02, '04, and '06.

That's a lot of pitching at the top of the draft, and probably why we're still stuck with the curse of the Balboni.

DeezNutz 03-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9493966)
I understand. It's a stance similar to Dayton Moore's, supposedly (though it has become clear the Hochevar pick was one of HIS picks).

I figure the 3-4 great years you get from a guy like Stras are worth it, even if he falls apart physically (a la Mark Prior).

I feel like I have to rethink everything now at this point. You've essentially said, "Fair point. Decent argument to have, and CoMo agrees with it completely."

Yeah, Hoch was always DM's. Common sense demands it, though professional "ethics" meant that he couldn't admit publicly to it.

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-13-2013 02:59 PM

Oh, and forgot to mention, out of those 12 1st round pitching selections... Only one became a Major League success... Zach Greinke.

AndChiefs 03-13-2013 03:22 PM

Frenchy the rally killer.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9493989)
Unfortunately, Our run on selecting pitching in the first round lasted a long, long time.

Starting in 1992 we selected James Pittsley in the 1st, followed by Jeff Granger in 1993.. '97, (two in) '98, (two again in) '99, '00, '01, '02, '04, and '06.

That's a lot of pitching at the top of the draft, and probably why we're still stuck with the curse of the Balboni.

Herk Robinson was epic bad at the MLB draft. And the Royals were CHEAP with a lot of those selections, too. Hard to draft great talent when you're not willing to pay it.

WhawhaWhat 03-13-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9494209)
Herk Robinson was epic bad at the MLB draft. And the Royals were CHEAP with a lot of those selections, too. Hard to draft great talent when you're not willing to pay it.

Hard to blame Herk for the bad drafting when he was handcuffed as bad as he was. The Royals were completely gutted during his tenure and I don't think that was his call. Maybe his job to execute the plan, but not the plan itself.

Al Bundy 03-13-2013 04:17 PM

DannyKnoblerCBS ‏@DKnobler

Interesting (and surprising) on Hochevar: Teams that asked about trading for him were told Royals wanted quite a bit in return.