ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

tyton75 03-13-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9492565)
Kansas City Royals ‏@Royals

MGR Ned Yost tells beat writers this morning that RHP Luke Hochevar has been moved to bullpen. #RoyalsST

YAAAAAAAAAA

I really hope you aren't trolling!

gblowfish 03-13-2013 09:54 AM

Comedian Colin Mochrie on Twitter:

"Because of a slight misunderstanding, the St. Louis Cardinals have chosen the pope. Congrats Pope John Paul Carlos Beltran."

Let's hope Scott Boras is no longer his agent!

silver5liter 03-13-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 9492576)

Straight from the horses mouth

silver5liter 03-13-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 9492576)

heres another
Quote:

Bob Dutton ‏@Royals_Report

#Royals announce Luke Hochevar going to bullpen.

RockChalk 03-13-2013 09:55 AM

WTF are the Royals and Chiefs thinking? Way too much good news coming from our organizations lately

Stanley Nickels 03-13-2013 10:00 AM

Great news for the obvious reasons, but also as a sign that Yost's comments about Hoch's "stuff" was just for the press. They likely tried to deal him and needed to keep the front that they really liked his chances this year.

KevB 03-13-2013 10:08 AM

Obviously a good decision, but it follows the very bad decision to tender him in the first place. I realize we hadn't made the big trade yet, but that's irrelevant when you're talking about a pitcher who has been historically bad in the rotation. If we had $4M to spend, imagine where we could have upgraded instead of bringing that guy back.

RockChalk 03-13-2013 10:14 AM

One little tidbit I took away from Yost's comments/announcement. He specifically mentioned the 5th spot was now up for grabs between Chen, Mendoza, Smith, and Ventura

He'd previously never been mentioned as in the running. Might the Royals let his dominant ST (so far) make their decision for them?

I ask that seriously...Duncan, any insight on this? Am I wishful thinking and is Ventura a lock to start in high minors?

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 9492645)
One little tidbit I took away from Yost's comments/announcement. He specifically mentioned the 5th spot was now up for grabs between Chen, Mendoza, Smith, and Ventura

He'd previously never been mentioned as in the running. Might the Royals let his dominant ST (so far) make their decision for them?

I ask that seriously...Duncan, any insight on this? Am I wishful thinking and is Ventura a lock to start in high minors?

I don't know that Ventura's candidacy would be about the numbers he's producing. I would HOPE it's about the other things (secondary pitch development, command, mechanics).

Those are the things he has needed to work on. Maybe they've come so far along that they just feel he's ready. They have not rushed SP in the past, so if he goes North with the big club and is in the No. 5 spot, I would tend to trust it.

It's also not like they don't have other options at No. 5.

Maybe a bit of it is also learning a litte lesson from Mike Montgomery, circa 2011. Monty looked like a future MLB all-star/Cole Hamels clone in ST that year. They demoted him, and he was NEVER the same (velocity tumbled, command and control evaporated).

It would be a very surprising move, though, considering he was expected to start the year at AA. That AA rotation will bear watching, regardless. Lamb, Zimmer, Adam, Selman all expected to do some work there this year.

Bowser 03-13-2013 11:16 AM

Is there really any need for all this cloak and dagger shit with the fifth spot? Mendoza has far and away been the best of that bunch. Hell, I know it isn't saying much, but Mendoza could have been our legit #3 guy last year, if not #2.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9492932)
Is there really any need for all this cloak and dagger shit with the fifth spot? Mendoza has far and away been the best of that bunch. Hell, I know it isn't saying much, but Mendoza could have been our legit #3 guy last year, if not #2.

Not really.

I understand wanting to see how both Mendoza and Chen looked in spring training. Hochevar... should have been non-tendered.

Chen has track record on Mendoza despite struggling at times last year (a lot of that after Yost tried to extend him too far). He also offers something different/a nice change of pace to the rotation.

Mendoza was very good from June on, but his track record is bad. Making sure that wasn't a fluke is OK.

I still can't quite believe they actually moved Hochevar to the bullpen. It's like they finally woke up about him. Just wish it had happened earlier (like, say, Nov. 1).

BigCatDaddy 03-13-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9493007)
Not really.

I understand wanting to see how both Mendoza and Chen looked in spring training. Hochevar... should have been non-tendered.

Chen has track record on Mendoza despite struggling at times last year (a lot of that after Yost tried to extend him too far). He also offers something different/a nice change of pace to the rotation.

Mendoza was very good from June on, but his track record is bad. Making sure that wasn't a fluke is OK.

I still can't quite believe they actually moved Hochevar to the bullpen. It's like they finally woke up about him. Just wish it had happened earlier (like, say, Nov. 1).

I wonder what role they are thinking. Long relief or a 7th inning type guy.

alnorth 03-13-2013 11:33 AM

Another advantage Chen has on Mendoza is he's a LHP. If Mendoza's far and away better when spring ends, then we should go ahead with 5 right-handers but if its at all close, Chen will probably get the nod.

tyton75 03-13-2013 11:34 AM

Saying they moved him to the pen is great, but actually filling a spot in our bullpen during the season is going to piss me off. He pitches like crap out of the stretch and can't handle pressure situations. Send him to Omaha, or cut him.

mr. tegu 03-13-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9493021)
I wonder what role they are thinking. Long relief or a 7th inning type guy.

As stress free as possbile. Meaning never comes in during the middle of an inning or late in the game. So some middle to long relief would be a good spot for him.

If he can give 2-3 innings instead of having to use 2 studs for two innings or one for more inninngs than they are really used to, then he does have a little bit of value there.