ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Groves 07-26-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 6898868)
Picking up today:

The purpose-driven live: what on earth am I here for? by Richard Warren

You're too awesome for this book, sir. It contains some truth, just don't confuse it for something based on Christianity.

DaKCMan AP 07-26-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groves (Post 6899333)
You're too awesome for this book, sir. It contains some truth, just don't confuse it for something based on Christianity.

I ended up leaving it once I read the inside cover & TOC. Not what I'm looking to read.

Jenson71 07-26-2010 09:11 PM

With about three weeks left til law school orientation begins, I'm going to dive into Scott Turow's famous One L.

NewChief 08-05-2010 01:52 PM

Just devoured The Passage by Justin Cronin in around 4 days. It's right at 800 pages of painfully small font that completely fills the page... but damn. It's good. We're on vacation, and I've driven my family nuts by wanting to do nothing but read, read, read all day every day thanks to this book. I finally just told my wife, "I'm staying up tonight and finishing this book, so I can actually enjoy being on vacation."

If you like post-apocalyptic, end of the world shit, you'll love this. Think World War Z, the Stand, I Am Legend, etc... The book has gotten a lot of hype, and I feel it is deserved. I really, really liked this book. Check it out if you get a chance. It's already slated to be a movie, and I believe there are two sequels planned (which I was glad to find out, because the ending of this book destroyed me). Just when you thought that Twilight and True Blood and made vampires jump the shark, Cronin comes along with this book and takes the genre to a new, surprising level.

I'm now reading Readicide: How Schools are Killing Reading and What You CAn Do about It by Kelly Gallagher. Nothing that I don't already know or haven't seen covered in more depth, but it's a good focus for getting back into the swing of the school year.

Spicy McHaggis 08-09-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6429481)
Just started reading Abercrombie's fourth novel, Best Served Cold, need to finish up The Vor Game by Bujold and I'm about to start reading Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

Just started Abercrombie's "Last Argument of Kings". Really have had fun reading the First Law series. He seems to write in a stark almost harsh manner, but it functions well with what he wants to accomplish.

Spicy McHaggis 08-09-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 6899760)
With about three weeks left til law school orientation begins, I'm going to dive into Scott Turow's famous One L.

Best of luck. First year they'll try to scare you to death, 2nd year they'll try to work you to death, 3rd year they'll try to bore you to death. Where are you going to school at?

DaKCMan AP 08-09-2010 12:00 PM

Finished The Authenticity Hoax: How We Get Lost Finding Ourselves by Andrew Potter last week.

Started Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment by Peter Buffet.

Still waiting to start The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life.

keg in kc 08-09-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6924771)
Just started Abercrombie's "Last Argument of Kings". Really have had fun reading the First Law series. He seems to write in a stark almost harsh manner, but it functions well with what he wants to accomplish.

Yeah, it's really good stuff.

I just finished reading all of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series, really good stuff in its own right, and now I'm midway through Glen Cook's Black Company series, which I've read and liked before, but it's been years.

Amnorix 08-09-2010 12:24 PM

TJ Stiles' The First Tycoon - the Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt. Pretty good.

Jenson71 09-16-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6924774)
Best of luck. First year they'll try to scare you to death, 2nd year they'll try to work you to death, 3rd year they'll try to bore you to death. Where are you going to school at?

Iowa. It's pretty easy so far. A lot less reading and work than I expected.

I've had time to read 300 pages in the past 3 weeks of . . .

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Shogun 09-16-2010 08:04 AM

The catcher in the rye for the 50th time in my short life.

blaise 09-16-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 7009628)
The catcher in the rye for the 50th time in my short life.

Why so many times? Not that you literally mean 50 (I don't think), but there's a lot of good books out there.

Shogun 09-16-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7009639)
Why so many times? Not that you literally mean 50 (I don't think), but there's a lot of good books out there.

Yeah not literally 50, but quite a few times.

I read it when I get too much faith in the human race and then I read it to bring myself back down to earth, haha.

I just finished reading Blackwater Security's book and before that I re-read every single one of my Charles Bukowski books, that man is incredible.

oldandslow 09-16-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6918735)
Just devoured The Passage by Justin Cronin in around 4 days. It's right at 800 pages of painfully small font that completely fills the page... but damn. It's good. We're on vacation, and I've driven my family nuts by wanting to do nothing but read, read, read all day every day thanks to this book. I finally just told my wife, "I'm staying up tonight and finishing this book, so I can actually enjoy being on vacation."

If you like post-apocalyptic, end of the world shit, you'll love this. Think World War Z, the Stand, I Am Legend, etc... The book has gotten a lot of hype, and I feel it is deserved. I really, really liked this book. Check it out if you get a chance. It's already slated to be a movie, and I believe there are two sequels planned (which I was glad to find out, because the ending of this book destroyed me). Just when you thought that Twilight and True Blood and made vampires jump the shark, Cronin comes along with this book and takes the genre to a new, surprising level.

NewPHin...

All I can say is thank you. WOW. And I HATE the Vampire Genre. For the most part, I think Anne Rice and her infantile, overly religious literary daughter, Stephanie Myer, did the world a great disservice.

But this book is golden.

oldandslow 09-16-2010 08:50 AM

I also just finished the Girl who kicked the Hornet's nest. I felt it was the weakest of the trilogy, but all in all, I enjoyed Mr. Larsson's writing.