ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Frazod 06-07-2010 07:30 PM

After watching The Pacific on HBO, I decided to read the stories of the three main characters. I started with With The Old Breed on Peleliu and Okinawa by Sledge, and I'm currently about a third of the way through Leckie's A Helmet for My Pillow. Both are excellent. Sledge writes in a conversational style, bluntly sparing no details. Parts of his book are truly cringe-inducing. Leckie is a much more polished writer and his accounts are much more dramatic. It's interesting to pick up the personality differences of these very different men going through much the same thing.

I guess after this I'll read up on Basilone.

chiefs1111 07-21-2010 06:29 PM

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Reaper16 07-21-2010 06:32 PM

Just finished The Wire: Urban Decay and American Television, a book of media studies, criticism and scholarship about the best TV drama of all time.

About to start up Sloane Crosley's new collection of essays, How Did You Get This Number.

irishjayhawk 07-21-2010 07:14 PM

A really long time ago, I finished the Maze Runner. It's a YA in the vein of Hunger Games, which I love. It took a while to get into but I ended up liking it enough to pick up the next one in November. I'm half skeptical of where it's going and half intrigued. Giving it a benefit of the doubt.

Long ago, I finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. Sadly, it wasn't as good as the previous two. In fact, it felt like it was finished by another author. They claim not so but the style seemed to fade. As did the spunk and previous character arcs. It basically Hollywoodized itself.

Recently, I just finished Moneyball. Absolutely fantastic yet depressing because Dayton Moore was hired in a post-Moneyball era and yet consistently denies the concepts (which have always made sense to me) in the book.

Delano 07-21-2010 08:12 PM

Today's Amazon box contained the book and movie form of "Less Than Zero," and "Imperial Bedrooms."

Another Ellis kick. So delicious.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 07-26-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6760699)
I ended up abandoning the Art of Racing in the Rain. I was actually really enjoying it, then I got distracted and started a bunch of professional reading.

Then I picked up my latest book, which I finished in two days. Completely love it. So good.

City of Thieves by David Benioff. I think you've read it, but I really loved this book.

Me too. Fast paced. Easy to read. Good story. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

DaKCMan AP 07-26-2010 11:54 AM

Picking up today:

The purpose-driven live: what on earth am I here for? by Richard Warren
The snowball: Warren Buffett and the business of life by Alice Schroeder

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2010 11:57 AM

Psycho-Cybernetics

CanadianChief 07-26-2010 11:59 AM

I just finished reading the Zombie survival guide. It was pretty funny and I needed something to pass the time on the bus.

BIG_DADDY 07-26-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 6898868)
Picking up today:

The purpose-driven live: what on earth am I here for? by Richard Warren
The snowball: Warren Buffett and the business of life by Alice Schroeder

Let me know what you think of the first book.

blaise 07-26-2010 12:07 PM

I just read First Love by Turgenev. I also recently read The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave. Both were very good.

siberian khatru 07-26-2010 12:13 PM

After spending a couple or three years reading mostly history and politics, I'm back in a novel groove. Just polished off "The Road" and "Wonder Boys" the last 2 weeks.

I just started "Infinite Jest." Wish me luck.

NewChief 07-26-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 6898906)
After spending a couple or three years reading mostly history and politics, I'm back in a novel groove. Just polished off "The Road" and "Wonder Boys" the last 2 weeks.

I just started "Infinite Jest." Wish me luck.

Good luck! I love that book.

JohninGpt 07-26-2010 03:38 PM

I'm about 1/3 finished with Dewey Lambdins "Alan Lewrie" series. Kind of like Horatio Hornblower with prostitutes.

DaKCMan AP 07-26-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 6898884)
Let me know what you think of the first book.

After reading the inside cover, looking through the TOC, and realizing what it was about, I left it. Instead I got The Authenticity Hoax: How We Get Lost Finding Ourselves by Andrew Potter.