ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

jbwm89 02-01-2012 10:50 AM

anyone have the rest of the buster olney insider article?

gblowfish 02-01-2012 11:41 AM

It's Februrary baby....spring training season! Let's stretch it out!

Hopefully we won't see any more stories like this one in the Onion Sports from 2005, it's time to start anew!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dyi...ty-royal,5029/

RockChalk 02-01-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbwm89 (Post 8340816)
anyone have the rest of the buster olney insider article?

:thumb:

Quote:

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Dozens of players in shorts and T-shirts navigated around each other in the weight room at the Royals' spring training complex Monday, like boats in a busy port. The right of way went to those in the midst of another set of pull-ups or a core exercise.

Spring training won't start for another three weeks for some of them -- longer, for others -- and there were 60 players at the complex, from major leaguers like Billy Butler to minor leaguers like Irving Falu.

David Lough had shared in the first hitting group of the morning, with Mitch Maier, Jarrod Dyson and Eric Hosmer, and Lough sprayed line drives over shortstop. He had wintered at his Ohio home, so there is a practical benefit for him to get to Arizona early -- to be outside. But he recalled that in the past, you might see only a handful of guys at the complex at the end of January.

Now there are 60 guys, an enormous turnout. Some, like Johnny Giavotella, are here because they have to be; Giavotella had some minor hip surgery and has been getting treatment. But a lot of the players are presumably absorbing at least some of the cost for food and housing to be here.

So many of them have played in the minor leagues together, and won in the minor leagues together, and there is a feeling among them that their time is coming in the big leagues. The Royals won 17 of their 29 games and ranked third in OPS in the American League for the month of September, as Hosmer and Mike Moustakas and others settled in.

The fact is that a lot is out of their control. The Detroit Tigers won the AL Central last year and just spent $214 million to sign one of the best power hitters on the planet -- about the same as the combined payroll of the Royals in the last four seasons. The Cleveland Indians, like Kansas City, have a young and developing team.

The Royals don't yet know what they'll get out of Jonathan Sanchez, as he shifts to the AL after pitching for the San Francisco Giants for the last six seasons, or from Aaron Crow, an All-Star reliever who is looking to transition into the rotation. Kansas City finished 29th in starters' ERA last year, and the Royals will not be relevant until that gets much better.

The Royals are expected to try to retain homegrown star Alex Gordon, who is coming off his best season. Hosmer is a rising star and time will tell whether the Royals invest in him in the way that the Tampa Bay Rays did with Evan Longoria and the Milwaukee Brewers did with Ryan Braun. Hosmer can't possibly know how he would react, he explains, until there's an offer on the table. The same is true for Moustakas, Danny Duffy, Wil Myers and some of the other high-end talents.

But the Royals appear completely invested in each other, for now, and you can see that in the way that Joakim Soria helps the younger players with their work, and the way that catcher Salvador Perez interacts with the others and talks about doing what he can to play in as many games as possible. Jeff Francoeur is not here yet, but he will be, and other players say that even if he hadn't hit in 2011 -- and he did, collecting 71 extra-base hits -- he would have been worth whatever he was paid, for the way that he made the best days even more fun and the worst days tolerable.

Francoeur came up with the Atlanta Braves, as did Kansas City GM Dayton Moore, so it's not a coincidence that the atmosphere around the team is full of respect and expectation and professionalism. As other players arrive in other camps, that won't be universal for the 30 teams.

It's a good start to 2012 for the Royals, who are laboring to end their 26-year streak of not making the playoffs.

The Fielder signing isn't going to change the Royals' plans, writes Rustin Dodd.

The Royals have gone green, with solar panels.

Notables

• Chipper Jones says 2012 might not be his last season.

Here are Jones' all-time rankings:

Hits: 2,615 (75th)
Runs: 1,561 (53th)
Doubles: 526 (36th)
Home runs: 454 (33rd)
RBIs: 1,561 (40th)

• The Theo Epstein talks are on the back burner, as Nick Cafardo writes.

Baseball executives are fascinated to see how commissioner Bud Selig resolves this, because it will set a precedent on the market value of general managers.

"On one hand, Bud probably doesn't want to force the Cubs to give up a lot, because he doesn't want to create a situation where a GM costs as much as an All-Star player," said one GM. "On the other hand, he doesn't want the Cubs to get away with giving up almost nothing, because he won't want to create a situation where GMs are easily jumping from one team to another to take a president's title, the way that Theo did.

"If I were Bud, I wouldn't even get involved. I'd make them settle it."

One way Selig could stay out of it is insisting the Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox finish the compensation issue, while imposing fines on both organizations for each day that the thing is unresolved.

• The Philadelphia Phillies scouted Chad Qualls late last season and tracked his fastball in the mid-90s, and while they are hopeful that Jose Contreras will be back and effective again, they added Qualls as something of a safety net. This is the final piece for the Philadelphia bullpen, writes Bob Brookover.

• Victor Martinez had the first of two surgeries.

• Bill Shaikin has new stuff on the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Moves, deals and decisions

1. Mark Teixeira may lay down some bunts.

2. The New York Yankees hired Jim Hendry.

3. Dan Connelly writes about the Baltimore Orioles prospects that might be trade bait. It's incredible that a Rule 5 pick is ranked among Baltimore's top 10 prospects.

4. Edwin Jackson likely won't pick the Orioles. It'd be one of the worst places for an established free-agent starting pitcher to go, unless he was signing for huge dollars, because he'd be landing on the worst team in the AL East, while pitching in an offense-rich park.

5. The Orioles' signing of a young Korean pitcher is drawing criticism.

6. The Tigers could wind up using as many as 10 guys at the DH spot.

7. The Houston Astros signed Livan Hernandez.

8. The Texas Rangers promoted some scouts.

9. Signing Roy Oswalt would go against everything the Rangers have stood for, writes Gerry Fraley. If they do sign him, trading Matt Harrison could be an option, says the pitcher.

10. Evan Longoria has no regrets about signing his contract.

11. The Indians picked up a guy who will compete for a bench job.

12. Oswalt would make sense for the St. Louis Cardinals, writes Bernie Miklasz.

13. The Indians would still like to settle some arbitration cases, writes Paul Hoynes.

14. The Cubs' brass is learning about the organization's new facility.

15. The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to terms with a couple of arbitration-eligible guys.

16. The San Diego Padres reached an agreement with a pitcher.

Other stuff

• Bob Costas says the NL MVP award should be re-voted if Braun is suspended, noting the baseball writers' inconsistency.

• David Samson is going to run for charity, as mentioned within this Juan Rodriguez blog.

• Somebody stole a ring from Matt Garza, writes Marc Topkin.

• Boston's spring training facility will have a new look.

• Toronto's front office and fans share a passion to win, writes Bob Elliott. Alex Anthopoulos addressed questions about the state of the Jays.

• There will be a new lounge at PNC Park.

• Denny McLain could learn something from Brandon Inge rather than ridiculing him, writes Tom Gage.

• On one hand, Vanderbilt lost a road game at Arkansas last night. On the other hand, the football program will cap off its best recruiting class ever today.

And today will be better than yesterday

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-01-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8340904)
It's Februrary baby....spring training season! Let's stretch it out!

Hopefully we won't see any more stories like this one in the Onion Sports from 2005, it's time to start anew!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dyi...ty-royal,5029/

LMAO

Damn that was funny

diarrhea fumes 02-01-2012 04:47 PM

Dayton Moore is on MLB Network right now!

kc rush 02-01-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarrhea fumes (Post 8341655)
Dayton Moore is on MLB Network right now!

And?

Anything new?

Simplicity 02-01-2012 06:56 PM

Okay, I'm very sorry to DeezNutz and others for not proceeding with my edits... :(
My computer crashed for around a week or so, got it fixed and trying to ghost it and trying everything I can to get old files back so I can edit. Once I get my files back I will have everything done for you guys. Again, I am very sorry.
-Thanks.
P.S. Most of my base pictures I used is on Google Images, just search their name and ending with Royals.

CHENZ A! 02-01-2012 06:59 PM

Are you still planning to make me the Billy butler surrounded by hash browns, sunny side up eggs, B&G, sausage links, bacon, and hot sauce?

I need that for real. TIA

CHENZ A! 02-01-2012 07:00 PM

It could say "Breakfast Time" instead of "Our time". :shrug:

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 11:44 AM

Butler humbled, thankful for Hutch Award

By Doug Miller / MLB.com | 02/01/12 6:59 PM EST

SEATTLE -- Billy Butler was the first to admit that he isn't very experienced as a public speaker, so when the Kansas City Royals slugger strode to the podium at Safeco Field on Wednesday to accept the 47th annual Hutch Award for outstanding community service, he helped himself out with a prop.

It was a typical Del Monte can of corn, and it served as a reminder to Butler and his wife, Katie, that their life's work stretches far, far beyond the baseball field.

"I have learned from my charity back in Kansas City that there are many people who cannot afford to buy even a can of corn," Butler said. "My family has been very blessed, and Katie and I feel very strongly that we teach our daughter to give back."

Butler's strength of spirit and his family's work with the needy families of Kansas City has placed him in rarified air. The Hutch Award, a national honor presented yearly by the Seattle-based Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, has been given annually since 1965 in honor of Major League player and manager Fred Hutchinson, who died of cancer a year earlier at the age of 45, and its list of honorees reads like a Hall of Fame roster.

Winners have included Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Carl Yastrzemski, Pete Rose, Joe Torre, Willie McCovey, Willie Stargell, Lou Brock, George Brett and Johnny Bench.

The Butlers' path to the Hutch Award has been an admirable one. In 2008, Billy and Katie started the Hit-It-A-Ton campaign to help feed the hungry in the Kansas City area through the Bishop Sullivan Center. Through the program, $250 (the cost to purchase a ton of food) has been donated for each home run Butler hits as well as $125 for each double. Through its first three years, the Hit-It-A-Ton campaign, with help from corporate sponsors, has raised more than $215,000 and provided more than 960 tons of food for those in need.

In 2011, the Butlers expanded their efforts with Billy's Doubles Club for Kids, which is helping children understand how powerful charity can be in strengthening communities.

"This whole thing is very humbling," Billy said. "The ability to change peoples' lives is why we feel so good about the program. It's grown every year, and we're very happy about that."

In addition to Butler and local guests such as former big leaguer John Olerud and current Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik and manager Eric Wedge, Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr., was on hand Wednesday to serve as the keynote speaker for the event known as the "Hutch Lunch," and he did not disappoint.

Ripken, whose late father, Cal Sr., died from lung cancer, spoke for more than 20 minutes about the attributes that led him to set one of baseball's most famous records: 2,632 consecutive games played.

Ripken spoke of consistency, working to forge your will to try to control situations that you might think are out of your control, and knowing the difference between being, in his words, "good stubborn, bad stubborn and stupid stubborn."

Ripken and Butler had spent most of Wednesday morning touring the Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the Hutch School, a downtown Seattle K-12 facility that provides classes for children fighting cancer and their siblings while they're undergoing the long months of treatment at the facility. The workers at the hospital asked Ripken to pitch in, and he was happy to oblige.

"I was blown away with the passion," Ripken said. "They're doing some wonderful work. ... You don't really start to think about cancer a lot until someone really, really close to you is affected and then the whole family is affected."

Butler cited former Royals teammate and 2008 Hutch Award winner Mike Sweeney as being a huge role model in his efforts to take his status as a professional athlete and use it for the greater good.

"Mike Sweeney was the portrait of what you want to be as a man," Butler said. "He does everything right, so to win this award after he's won it means a lot to me. ... One of the joys of playing baseball is to be able to give back as much as possible. It's almost the least you do, because without fans, baseball isn't anything."

Butler also quoted late Royals legend Dan Quisenberry, the famous mustachioed closer as famous for his acts of goodwill in helping the hungry in the Kansas City area as he was for his red hair and submarine delivery.

"He said, 'I may not be able to save the world, but I can always feed my neighbors,'" Butler said. "Even the smallest gestures can make a huge difference."

More information on the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the Hutch Award can be found at www.fhcrc.org.

Doug Miller is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @DougMillerMLB and read his MLBlog, Youneverknow. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

alnorth 02-02-2012 01:50 PM

The Nationals are about to sign Edwin Jackson. 1 year in the $8-12MM range.

DeezNutz 02-02-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8343511)
The Nationals are about to sign Edwin Jackson. 1 year in the $8-12MM range.

What. The. ****.

Yeah, I can see how this would have been a bad fit for the Royals.

alnorth 02-02-2012 02:07 PM

I'm a little disappointed. I did not think he would sign a 1-year deal, I thought he was going to get a 3 or 4-year deal from someone at around 12MM AAV or so.

Obviously he and Boras weren't happy with the 3 year deals they were getting, so they signed this 1-year "show me" contract to hopefully get a payday in 2013, but they could have done their audition in KC, its not like the Nats are a great team. Perhaps we inquired and were flat-out told no way, but it would be nice to know if that happened.

If the rotation looks crowded now, we did not have to re-sign Chen, and Duffy has options.

Demonpenz 02-02-2012 03:09 PM

The award billy won looked like a vase with curly fries over flowing out of it.

Dartgod 02-02-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8343740)
The award billy won looked like a vase with curly fries over flowing out of it.

I wonder if it came with a cup-o-cheddar to dip those suckers in?

Demonpenz 02-02-2012 04:22 PM

I'm sure knowing billy he has a wizzanator filled with nacho cheese.

alnorth 02-02-2012 04:44 PM

Upon further reflection, I can see that we are not winning any tie-breakers with Washington. We would have had to blow them away, and its not hard to imagine if we had marginally beaten their offer that Jackson would have said no.

First, they want a big payday. If Jackson has a great year, he'll be able to command a big 4-5 year deal in 2013 that we aren't handing out to him. It would have been just one really good year and we got our own players we want to extend. (by the way, when the hell are we extending Gordon? His arbitration hearing is coming up) Washington doesn't have this massive farm system coming up, if he becomes a fan favorite in 2012, they may pay him and Boras off.

That aside, Washington was close to .500 last season, they have big pitching names to surround him with, and they don't have the decade-plus long stigma of being losers. Its fine for us to believe our time is almost here and that on paper things look up, but most of them aren't Gil Meche. A lot of free agents are going to have to see us win first before they'd be willing to come to KC. We may never have been players this offseason, but if we finish a strong second this year (or hell, even beat Detroit), then free agents will be a lot more open to playing here.

gblowfish 02-02-2012 04:48 PM

Washington has better call girls because of all the diplomats.

CHENZ A! 02-02-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8343955)
I'm sure knowing billy he has a wizzanator filled with nacho cheese.

LMAO at the mental picture

Demonpenz 02-02-2012 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
award

Al Bundy 02-02-2012 09:16 PM

Looks like Rex Hudler is going to replace Frank White.

Simplicity 02-02-2012 09:17 PM

Yo Billy Butler is so fat... He has his own area code.
Crackin "yo Billy Butler" jokes.

cabletech94 02-02-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8344720)
Yo Billy Butler is so fat... He has his own area code.
Crackin "yo Billy Butler" jokes.

BB is gonna go all country breakfast on your ass!

so, uhm, how's my sig coming brotha?

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8344713)
Looks like Rex Hudler is going to replace Frank White.

Know anything about him? Is he good? I've never heard of him.

Simplicity 02-02-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8344727)
BB is gonna go all country breakfast on your ass!

so, uhm, how's my sig coming brotha?

It's coming... Had to restart cause the old comp crashed and lost some important files. I'll spend some weekend time on everybodies' sigs.

Al Bundy 02-02-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344728)
Know anything about him? Is he good? I've never heard of him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1608900

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Angels television analyst Rex Hudler was suspended indefinitely by the team Thursday after his airport arrest last weekend for investigation of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

He violated company policy and will be replaced during upcoming telecasts by Jose Mota of the club's Spanish radio team, the team said.

Hudler, 42, was arrested at Kansas City International Airport on Sunday and released after posting bond.

His agent, Joel Wolf, wasn't immediately available for comment.

Hudler, a utility player for the Angels from 1994-96, is in his fifth season as the team's TV analyst. He played 10 years in the minor leagues before making it to the majors and wound up playing professionally for 21 years with 18 teams.

Those are his ties to Kansas City.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF Knight (Post 8344742)
He was suspended briefly from his broadcast job in 2003 after being arrested at Kansas City International Airport for possession of cannabis and medical paraphernalia.

From his Wiki page.. and I do remember that happening.

Damn kids

Demonpenz 02-02-2012 09:36 PM

Rex the wonder dog was a spark plug and I think he is on some video games for announcing. He is always on Jim Rome and other places. He keeps it real.

tk13 02-02-2012 09:46 PM

Get fired up boys and girls.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36044887?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36044887">Kansas City Royals - Our Time (Brett)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/cassawcreative">Corey Cassaw</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36045143?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36045143">Kansas City Royals - Our Time (Hosmer)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/cassawcreative">Corey Cassaw</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Jenson71 02-02-2012 09:55 PM

:D :D :D

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8344812)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36044887?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36044887">Kansas City Royals - Our Time (Brett)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/cassawcreative">Corey Cassaw</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36045143?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/36045143">Kansas City Royals - Our Time (Hosmer)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/cassawcreative">Corey Cassaw</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I have a boner

CaliforniaChief 02-02-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8344846)
I have a boner

+1

Something special's in the air this year.

Jenson71 02-02-2012 10:02 PM

The song I sing when I hear Hosmer talk about the Royals:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mzDVaKRApcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jenson71 02-02-2012 10:04 PM

Royal's anthem

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/48K5Y0421Ig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-02-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8344850)
+1

Something special's in the air this year.

Sorry... mexican for dinner.

Mama Hip Rockets 02-02-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

YES.

Demonpenz 02-02-2012 11:38 PM

Hosmer Whips that bat

58kcfan89 02-03-2012 02:29 AM

I'll be honest, I really don't have any interest in going to the All-Star game. But if we somehow get a starter in there (God forbid Hosmer, Gordon, etc. kick enough ass to get votes over Yankees & Red Sox....), I'll do what I have to to be in the stadium.

But **** everybody, we're gunna start winning again.

alnorth 02-03-2012 04:48 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/02...s-tv-spot.html

It is beginning to look like Rex Hudler will replace Frank White as the TV analyst, and it also appears that Ryan wont be moving to radio.

I've never heard the guy, but from what I read, this will be a pretty massive change.

Hudler has no ties to KC (except, oddly enough, an arrest in KCI airport for possession of MJ), but he is a former player with a ton of broadcasting experience. He was the analyst for the Angels for 8 or 9 years till they decided to not renew his contract a few years ago.

From what people describe, Hudler is basically Frank White's evil twin from bizarro world, a polar opposite. His broadcasting style has been described as very, very enthusiastic and energetic to almost an extreme, to the point where he might be an acquired taste. That might be an odd pairing with Ryan.

We'll see....

Bambi 02-03-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Sounds like they kept the music from 1985 too.

Bambi 02-03-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8346500)

It is beginning to look like Rex Hudler will replace Frank White as the TV analyst, and it also appears that Ryan wont be moving to radio.

I've never heard the guy, but from what I read, this will be a pretty massive change.

Hudler has no ties to KC (except, oddly enough, an arrest in KCI airport for possession of MJ), but he is a former player with a ton of broadcasting experience. He was the analyst for the Angels for 8 or 9 years till they decided to not renew his contract a few years ago.

From what people describe, Hudler is basically Frank White's evil twin from bizarro world, a polar opposite. His broadcasting style has been described as very, very enthusiastic and energetic to almost an extreme, to the point where he might be an acquired taste. That might be an odd pairing with Ryan.

We'll see....

Bwahahahaha!

Saul Good 02-03-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58kcfan89 (Post 8345160)
I'll be honest, I really don't have any interest in going to the All-Star game. But if we somehow get a starter in there (God forbid Hosmer, Gordon, etc. kick enough ass to get votes over Yankees & Red Sox....), I'll do what I have to to be in the stadium.

But **** everybody, we're gunna start winning again.

If it gets around that time, and you really want in, let me know. I know how to sneak into either stadium, used to do it all the time in high school and college.

tredadda 02-03-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

We'll see....

Like Gus Johnson enthusiastic and energetic?

alnorth 02-03-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 8346733)
Like Gus Johnson enthusiastic and energetic?

dunno, now that I'm home, I'll chase down some youtube clips

Kyle DeLexus 02-03-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346692)
If it gets around that time, and you really want in, let me know. I know how to sneak into either stadium, used to do it all the time in high school and college.

ROFL

Saul Good 02-03-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8346803)
ROFL

I'm 100% serious.

Kyle DeLexus 02-03-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8346864)
I'm 100% serious.

I don't doubt you are, I just thought the offer was funny. As a college student, I can't say I blame you though.

Saul Good 02-03-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8346878)
I don't doubt you are, I just thought the offer was funny. As a college student, I can't say I blame you though.

Hell yeah. That was back when Arrowhead was legit sold out every game (as opposed to the TV sellouts they have now). I'd go to about 4 or 5 games a year. It was great.

Kraus 02-03-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

We'll see....

If I recall correctly, he might have been one of the broadcasters in MLB the Show for the PS3.

alnorth 02-04-2012 10:22 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/03...proaching.html

Gordon's arbitration hearing is scheduled for February 16th. If we're going to have a long-term deal before spring training, we will probably hear about it within the next 12 days.

pkane 02-07-2012 02:38 PM

George Brett subject of class action lawsuit

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...awsuit/9811753

Valiant 02-07-2012 02:49 PM

Sad face. They messed up alloted tickets for allstar game on my account. Row u section 115 in the first row of the outfield. Now.

DeezNutz 02-07-2012 05:10 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/07...-close-on.html

****. Get the long-term deal done, please.

RockChalk 02-07-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8357078)
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/07...-close-on.html

****. Get the long-term deal done, please.

You just know DM is going to **** this one up somehow

alnorth 02-08-2012 07:35 AM

I'm fine with the Royals starting with 4/30 as their opening bid, but they shouldn't stick to that. You can understand why Gordon would think he was better than Butler, with gold glove defense in LF vs a pretty-good DH, but you can also understand the Royals hesitation since this is just one breakout year.

I do believe that year was for real, though, and being overly cautious could raise the price tag next year.

Saul Good 02-08-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8358011)
I'm fine with the Royals starting with 4/30 as their opening bid, but they shouldn't stick to that. You can understand why Gordon would think he was better than Butler, with gold glove defense in LF vs a pretty-good DH, but you can also understand the Royals hesitation since this is just one breakout year.

I do believe that year was for real, though, and being overly cautious could raise the price tag next year.

I could see him getting $15 million per on the openn market if he has another year like last year.

RockChalk 02-08-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8358120)
I could see him getting $15 million per on the openn market if he has another year like last year.

Which is why you go 4 for $40 now. It may seem like a slight reach given only 1 year of "domination", but if he puts up similar numbers it's a hometown bargain.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8358157)
Which is why you go 4 for $40 now. It may seem like a slight reach given only 1 year of "domination", but if he puts up similar numbers it's a hometown bargain.

I tend to agree with this. I'm of the belief that he's not going to be just a one year wonder though. He really does seem to have turned the corner when you read about the kind of work he puts in and he should have plenty of confidence now. IMO he's likely going to become one of those cornerstone guys that you can really build around and you need to make a good faith effort now and show him plenty of love while he's here and wants to be here.

Saul Good 02-08-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 8358157)

Agreed, but I think he would sign a 4 year deal for 32-34.

SPchief 02-08-2012 12:00 PM

An extension will get done.

gblowfish 02-08-2012 12:07 PM

On the Radio TV broadcasts: I don't care who they put on the air....hire Gilbert Gottfried for all I care, just get Bob Davis THE HELL OUTTA KAUFFMAN STADIUM.

He must go.

Splitt dies, Bob Davis lives. Life is so unfair.

RockChalk 02-08-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8358496)
Agreed, but I think he would sign a 4 year deal for 32-34.

That's fine. And I agree. I was just using the 4 for 40 as a way to say, yeah, we may need to "overpay" him a bit right now. But if he produces the same, paying him $10/mil a year for 2011 production is more than fair.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-08-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8358532)
On the Radio TV broadcasts: I don't care who they put on the air....hire Gilbert Gottfried for all I care, just get Bob Davis THE HELL OUTTA KAUFFMAN STADIUM.

He must go.

You can take your pick between the Mad Hungarian, McLaughlin, and Ricky Horton. Damn, you'd think the Cards would be able to get better announcers than these clowns.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8358631)
You can take your pick between the Mad Hungarian, McLaughlin, and Ricky Horton. Damn, you'd think the Cards would be able to get better announcers than these clowns.

I like Dan McLaughlin pretty well but yeah the other two..... ugh.

RockChalk 02-08-2012 03:45 PM

From Keith Law's ESPN Insider article

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...m-baseball-mlb

Quote:

1. San Diego Padres

Without Anthony Rizzo, they no longer have a top-25 prospect in their system, but in terms of total future value of players likely to play significant roles in the big leagues, they're ahead of everyone else. Some of these players, especially from the 2011 draft, will develop into stars. But there are so many prospects here with high floors, players who would be top-10 or top-five in other systems but are 11-20 here (such as Robbie Erlin or Edinson Rincon), that they are well-positioned to compete even with modest major league payrolls during the next five to six years. Fans who were upset at the sudden departures of GM Jed Hoyer and assistant GM Jason McLeod for the Cubs should find solace in the fact that the prospects they helped bring into the system (along with many other scouts and execs, including Chris Gwynn, now with Seattle, and Jaron Madison and Randy Smith, still in San Diego) remain in place.

2. Tampa Bay Rays

If you favor ceiling over probability, you could make a strong argument for having the Rays ahead of the Padres, based on the fact that this system could quite easily produce six to eight players who end up as grade-60 players or better in the majors. After that first tier, however, there's a lot less probability here than there was a year or two ago, and several executives from other clubs pointed out that the Rays have a gap in their prospect pipeline coming up that will be filled only if some of their 2011 draft picks move faster than anticipated.

3. Toronto Blue Jays

One of the many reasons criticism of Rogers Communications, the owner of the Blue Jays, for being stingy with free agents is so ignorant is that the club has spent aggressively in the amateur markets during the past three years, grabbing high-ceiling high school players and Latin American prospects by stockpiling picks and paying whatever it took to sign those players. They are the organization most likely to be No. 1 on this list next winter.

4. St. Louis Cardinals

They've drafted very well in the past few years, which has to be heartening to Astros fans, as Houston just hired Jeff Luhnow, who oversaw the Cards' recent drafts, as GM. St. Louis also has done an excellent job of developing the players it's drafted. I really like how the Cards are set up to contend continuously during the next five years.

5. Kansas City Royals

Despite some major losses via promotion (Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Danny Duffy) and injury (John Lamb), the system remains extremely deep and still has two high-ceiling prospects at the top, Bubba Starling and Wil Myers.

Simplicity 02-08-2012 04:00 PM

I gave up guys :( ... Sorry. I will get a computer sometime before the season but that's a long wait... Ask Shogun for some, I'm sure he will do a great job...

EDIT: Trying ONE more time tonight...

KCUnited 02-08-2012 04:27 PM

So you're saying my Vin Mazzaro face superimposed on the Meatballs alien with Hour Inning request has been shelfed?

Simplicity 02-08-2012 04:33 PM

Until you buy me a new computer :)

Demonpenz 02-08-2012 04:47 PM

where's my Jeff Blauser!

Simplicity 02-08-2012 04:51 PM

Trying again tonight...
-Regards.

cabletech94 02-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8358532)

He must go.

couldn't agree more.

+1.

my biggest complaint with davis on the radio, is that every hit ball, his voice acts like it's gonna be a hit: hit by billy butler AAaaaaaand ugh, gloved by the shortstop. welp, that's the ballgame......

i'm all for excitement. really. but every placed ball sounds the same in his voice.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 09:01 PM

Apparently the Royals and Alex Gordon are close to a ONE year extension on his contract. I don't love the sound of that but I guess their thinking must be they want to see him carry over his success last year before they ink him for big long term bucks. I didn't find a story but you can watch the report on the mlb hotstove video here.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc

Also Jeff Francis signed a one year deal with the Reds. He's officially out of our hair.

Saul Good 02-08-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8359873)
Apparently the Royals and Alex Gordon are close to a ONE year extension on his contract. I don't love the sound of that but I guess their thinking must be they want to see him carry over his success last year before they ink him for big long term bucks. I didn't find a story but you can watch the report on the mlb hotstove video here.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc

Also Jeff Francis signed a one year deal with the Reds. He's officially out of our hair.

They are just doing this to avoid arbitration. It won't stop them from getting a multi-year deal done.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8359878)
They are just doing this to avoid arbitration. It won't stop them from getting a multi-year deal done.

Ah good point.

It might be too much to ask these days but I'd like to see Alex be one of those rare guys that spends his entire career with one team.

Simplicity 02-08-2012 09:19 PM

I hope Hosmer, Gordon, and Mouse do that ;)

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8359907)

I'll throw Perez and Duffy in there because they both become dominators. Hell why not Crow and any guys who come up through our system for that matter.

I don't know about Mouse though. Moose is welcome however.

:)

KurtCobain 02-08-2012 09:29 PM

I love our new team.
I hope these guys stay forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-08-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanSeacrest (Post 8359928)
I love our new team.
I hope these guys stay forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't. We'll really suck when our team is made up of a bunch of senior citizens.

Al Bundy 02-08-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8359932)
I don't. We'll really suck when our team is made up of a bunch of senior citizens.

We'll have them from one set of diapers to another set of diapers...

gblowfish 02-09-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8359907)

"Mouse?"

Who the F is 'Mouse?"