ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Star Wars: The Old Republic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204523)

keg in kc 07-01-2011 10:18 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eAKwB2tg0lc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcxiv 07-01-2011 05:36 PM

One thing i learned being in the MMO scene for all these years, is that if it takes an extra year or 2 to get it right. I have no problems waiting! Alot of mmo's that came out rushed that had some much potential, but all shot to hell by an early release.

Keep it in alpha /beta til its ready!

Son of Logical 07-01-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7725898)
One thing i learned being in the MMO scene for all these years, is that if it takes an extra year or 2 to get it right. I have no problems waiting! Alot of mmo's that came out rushed that had some much potential, but all shot to hell by an early release.

My buddy got selected for the beta, and I have had a chance to play it, and it is amazing. It definitely has some bugs to it right now. That said, if they released it as is right now, I would play it (bugs and all). Being perfectly happy doing so. It is incredible.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-01-2011 07:21 PM

This game is just so wide in scope and replay value through the main story, the MMO aspect just pushes it into the realm of the potentially All-Time Greats.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-15-2011 08:45 PM

More timeline please...

keg in kc 07-15-2011 09:37 PM

I'm not sure why they've gone so long without timelines. I think I read it's been 5 months. Today's update was pretty cool, though, about creating the opening scrolls for the different classes.

keg in kc 07-20-2011 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Current rumor is that the pre-order announcement is going to come on Thursday (first day of Comic-Con), but don't expect any kind of release date announcement quite yet.

Hammock Parties 07-20-2011 01:48 AM

I just signed up for the beta.

keg in kc 07-20-2011 01:52 AM

Signed-up as in you've been accepted? If so, congrats!

Hammock Parties 07-20-2011 01:58 AM

No, signed up as in signed up.

If I get accepted I'll be breaking the NDA all over this thread. o:-)

Hammock Parties 07-20-2011 02:03 AM

Been poking around looking for info.

Quote:

I'm not sure if it's just this build or what, but planets and NPCs just seem dead. NPCs don't really move around in cities or camps. They just stand there feeling dead.

Planets are essentially instanced limiting the amount of players you see, again making the planet feel dead. The voice-overed NPCs were great at the start, but not too far into the game you start realizing it's the same as any other MMO; npcs telling you to go kill x or go fetch x because of y. Just your typical MMO quests but with a voice.

Those quests are unavoidable as you need to do them to level up to get to other planets and do your class quests.

I personally think those looking forward to this game will be surprised when they realized it's not of the same scale as WoW. In WoW you could have literally hundreds of players standing in front of the auction house. In SWTOR, probably only a dozen or two.

I see only the die-hard star wars/bioware fans sticking with this game past the first month or two after they've gotten a few classes to 50. It's just too small-scaled, and has too much of the same formula as WoW. They'll realize it's just a smaller version of WoW but with a Bioware/star wars feel.

Also I know there are tons of planets in SWTOR, but when I say small, I mean amount of players you can interact with in the world, not chat.

That's just my opinion, and I do hope future builds address some of these concerns, mainly planets feeling dead.p

keg in kc 07-20-2011 02:05 AM

Ah. Well, maybe you'll get lucky. I've been signed up for beta since like February of 2009. They're still small scale numbers wise, although if the leak sites are valid, they're starting a new beta phase soon (may actually be their first official 'beta' phase, rumor is they've considered everything up to this point 'alpha' internally) and that may involve a rise in numbers. They're going to have to stress test at some point, although there isn't going to be an open beta like with other MMOs.

keg in kc 07-20-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red 5 (Post 7758400)
Been poking around looking for info.

I've been following beta leaks for a while, and the reason areas feel empty might be because they are, if the info I've seen in true. What I've read is that there aren't many people in beta. There's one server (Revan) and supposedly there are rarely more than 400-500 people on at any given time.

I can't verify if this is actually true or not, since I'm not in beta myself...

Hammock Parties 07-20-2011 02:11 AM

Gabe at Penny Arcade played it.

Quote:

In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like.

At first I intended to play him as a real asshole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.

Of course all MMO’s now are going to have you taking quests but I think the big difference here is that I tend to care more about these quests. I will admit I am not a quest reader when I play an MMO. I click and click until it’s accepted and then read the breakdown on my way out to wherever the wolf bladders are.

Playing a class in SW:TOR is like playing a single player Bioware game. People are talking to you and you’re deciding how to respond and making dialog choices. Turning the quests into an interactive experience makes me care a lot more about them. A quest is still a chance to get XP, money and loot but it’s also an opportunity to advance your character towards the dark or light side based on your decisions.

In most MMO’s taking quests is what you do so that you can go play. In SW:TOR, taking quests is playing.

Obviously the setting is a big draw for me but I played the last Star Wars MMO and hated it. So just setting a game in the Star Wars universe isn’t enough for me. With that said I was curious if the Old Republic would be “Star Warsy” enough. I mean, we’re talking about 4000 years before the movies. Would that world look anything like the three films we all love?

The reality is that I think it’s almost too much like the movies. It turns out that 4000 years before Jabba, the Hutts were still crime lords surrounded by Twi’lek dancers and had a habit of feeding people to exotic beasts. For the most part everything you expect to see in Star Wars is there and it hasn’t changed much if at all. I guess the idea is that the Star Wars universe has sort of plateaued. I could hazard a guess that the constant battle between the Jedi and the Sith have kept the universe in a perpetual state of either war or re-building...but if I said that I would be a huge nerd.

Anyway I can understand why they did it from a design stand point. They want people who are fans of Star Wars to feel at home here. The result is that it’s easy to forget that all this is taking place thousands of years before Luke Skywalker kissed his sister.

I’m hesitant to talk too much about the mechanics since like I said they really are changing all the time. I can say that coming over from WOW, it feels very familiar and I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’ve checked out the basics of most of the classes and they each feel unique.

Dropping into cover with the smuggler gives you a whole new action bar similar to popping stealth with a rogue. At level 1 a Jedi Consular can tear a chunk of debris from the earth and hurl it at an enemy. Zapping the shit out of someone with force lightning is just as fun as you think. Firing up into the air with your jet pack and then raining missiles down on enemies does not get old. I will never get tired of slicing a guy in half with my lightsaber and then watching as my character lifts the blade over his head to block a blaster shot from behind without looking.

I don’t want to drill down into too much little stuff about the game but there is one feature I have to tell you about because I think it is really cool. If someone in your party is off grabbing quests while you’re selling junk at a vendor you would have to wait for them to share the quest with you later in any other game. In SW:TOR you get a little message that someone in your party is taking a quest and do you want to join via holoprojector.

The first time I saw this I actually said out loud “Shit yeah I want to join via holoprojector!” and sure enough your character appears there in all his or her shimmering blue glory. You can interact with the NPC right alongside your partner. It’s a little touch but believe me when I tell you the game is full of smart little bits like this.

I honestly think they are making something unique and fun here. I’ve enjoyed my time in the beta even more than I expected and it just continues to improve. I’m excited to see what the final product ends up looking like and how people respond to some of its ideas.

keg in kc 07-20-2011 02:15 AM

Yes, he did.

keg in kc 07-20-2011 02:18 AM

If you're looking for stuff, I'd keep an eye on betacake. Most of the older videos are gone, but they have a lot of random q&a's.

Hammock Parties 07-20-2011 02:43 AM

sweet

Valiant 07-20-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7725898)

Not sure on that.. Wow, was horrible just like all other games when they launch.. The only competition then was EQ, but it was dying.. There has been no real mmo come out of the gates perfect to even make a dent..

Now compared to then, there is just too much competition.. You can take forever releasing with a chance of somebody to steal your thunder, or release with bugs..

This games looks promising though.. for at least leveling.. I think Diablo 3 is going to be the only game to kill Wow and take over 1st..

Pants 07-20-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 7759893)
Not sure on that.. Wow, was horrible just like all other games when they launch.. The only competition then was EQ, but it was dying.. There has been no real mmo come out of the gates perfect to even make a dent..

Now compared to then, there is just too much competition.. You can take forever releasing with a chance of somebody to steal your thunder, or release with bugs..

This games looks promising though.. for at least leveling.. I think Diablo 3 is going to be the only game to kill Wow and take over 1st..

Diablo 3? LOL. No.

That game is not something that is going to appeal to the non-gamers turned into hardcore MMOers by WoW.

Valiant 07-20-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7759927)
Diablo 3? LOL. No.

That game is not something that is going to appeal to the non-gamers turned into hardcore MMOers by WoW.

Wow is not really hardcore anymore.. Most games are going more to casual appeal which D3 is going to do..

keg in kc 07-21-2011 12:26 AM

Looks like all the pre-order rumors are true. http://www.swtor.com/preorder isn't active yet (page not found) but I have a feeling it will be by the end of the day, or by tomorrow. There's a pre-order tab on ea.com that leads there.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 12:46 AM

Think I'll pass on the $150 collectors edition. Not much for offline swag. I have enough stuff collecting dusk on my desk already. Hopefully there's a digital version for about half that price.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 01:14 AM

Oooh, the pre-order page is live now. I'm like a kid at christmas.

kcxiv 07-21-2011 01:30 AM

Damn it. I think i may cave in and do this!

keg in kc 07-21-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7760897)
Damn it. I think i may cave in and do this!

Yeah, I already did. :facepalm:

keg in kc 07-21-2011 01:31 AM

New trailer (built from the 3 Blur trailers - spoiler-tagged so it won't autoplay everybody to death...):

Spoiler!

keg in kc 07-21-2011 02:30 AM

Woot, my code finally arrived, I'm registered and good to go for the head-start. Whenever launch ends up being.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 05:52 AM

(Unofficial) Vid covering the pre-order and the various details, for people who'd rather watch than read...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gtJueA6enJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 07-21-2011 07:37 AM

Separate but related announcement from the pre-order, they're starting some kind of beta test weekend programs in September, which I think might fit into the October timeframe I've been expecting:
Quote:

As anticipation grows, BioWare also proudly announced today that Star Wars: The Old Republic will open "Beta Test Weekends" starting this September. These weekend play sessions will be open to selected players worldwide and create an opportunity for fans to get a sneak peek of the epic stories, worlds, quests, battles and characters in the game. Please visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com to register for game testing and to stay tuned throughout the summer for more details as they become available.
The same announcement does, however, state "holiday 2011" which would make me think December...

Pants 07-21-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 7760739)
Wow is not really hardcore anymore.. Most games are going more to casual appeal which D3 is going to do..

By hardcore, I meant people who spend a lot of time playing WoW. 28 year old women and 35 year old men who are playing WoW now will not switch to D3. D3 is a completely different beast and will not appeal to general non-gaming public like WoW did.

Hays 07-21-2011 08:40 AM

Just preordered mine, says ships on January 3rd from Amazon 1 day shipping.

I figure it will be around the holiday season and after Star Wars Galaxies closes.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hays (Post 7761099)
Just preordered mine, says ships on January 3rd from Amazon 1 day shipping.

I figure it will be around the holiday season and after Star Wars Galaxies closes.

You could be correct, and holiday 2011 is what the investor report stated. I wouldn't put any stock into any retailer dates, though; those are placeholders. I've seen different stores this morning list release dates in September, October, November, December, and as you mentioned, January.

Just as a guess, I don't think we're going to get a real release date announcement until PAX Prime, which is at the end of August (26th-28th).

Fish 07-21-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7760873)
Think I'll pass on the $150 collectors edition. Not much for offline swag. I have enough stuff collecting dusk on my desk already. Hopefully there's a digital version for about half that price.

The preorder page is saying that the Collector's Edition is already sold out....

Fish 07-21-2011 08:48 AM

Have they said for certain what the monthly fee will be? I looked around for a bit, but couldn't find anything definitive other that guesses that it would be $15.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7761104)
The preorder page is saying that the Collector's Edition is already sold out....

I just read they were sold out on Origin but not necessarily elsewhere.

(I actually bought one. I won't be eating anything but ramen in september and october)

No announcement of the monthly fee yet that I'm aware of. It's been universally assumed to be $15.

Saulbadguy 07-21-2011 09:23 AM

Digital Deluxe edition pre-ordered.

Hays 07-21-2011 09:34 AM

Amazon has the collectors editions still it says

keg in kc 07-21-2011 01:11 PM

Color me surprised. There's a poll on the tor forum asking people which version they pre-ordered, and the collector's edition is at nearly 50% of the 2500 votes so far.

Obviously that's a small sample size, but still, wow...

Saulbadguy 07-21-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7761658)
Color me surprised. There's a poll on the tor forum asking people which version they pre-ordered, and the collector's edition is at nearly 50% of the 2500 votes so far.

Obviously that's a small sample size, but still, wow...

They are lying.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks (Post 7761677)
They are lying.

Hard to tell. I know I was saying no way I spend 150 at 1:45 and buying the CE at 2:15. LMAO

Something tells me I'm not the only one.

Saulbadguy 07-21-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7761685)
Hard to tell. I know I was saying no way I spend 150 at 1:45 and buying the CE at 2:15. LMAO

Something tells me I'm not the only one.

I didn't even look at the CE. I can't justify spending $150 on it...so I haven't looked, so I won't feel bad at what i'm missing out on.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks (Post 7761779)
I didn't even look at the CE. I can't justify spending $150 on it...so I haven't looked, so I won't feel bad at what i'm missing out on.

Yeah, I can't either. Basically in buying it I just decided that I'm not playing Skyrim and I'm going to be eating a lot of ramen.

(What actually sold me wasn't any of the extra items that come in the box, it was the CE-only ingame store.)

Pants 07-21-2011 02:01 PM

I think that number is plausible because if you're on the TOR forums, you're probably A) a huge fan and B) nerdy enough to want to buy the CE.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7761783)
I think that number is plausible because if you're on the TOR forums, you're probably A) a huge fan.

Actually quite the opposite. I quit posting there in mid-2009 it was so negative, and it's only gotten worse in the interim. It makes the Dragon Age forum look like Hello Kitty Online.

Not sure what it is about Bioware forums that draw so much venom. Although I guess that's as much an MMO thing as it is a Bioware thing, thinking back to the vanilla WoW boards.

That is to say, on the official boards, I'd expect way, way, way more people bitching about the cost of the CE than I would people actually buying it.

Pants 07-21-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7761790)
Actually quite the opposite. I quit posting there in mid-2009 it was so negative, and it's only gotten worse in the interim. It makes the Dragon Age forum look like Hello Kitty Online.

Not sure what it is about Bioware forums that draw so much venom. Although I guess that's as much an MMO thing as it is a Bioware thing, thinking back to the vanilla WoW boards.

That is to say, on the official boards, I'd expect way, way, way more people bitching about the cost of the CE than I would people actually buying it.

Oh.

Welp, never mind then.

Saulbadguy 07-21-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7761781)
(What actually sold me wasn't any of the extra items that come in the box, it was the CE-only ingame store.)

**** YOU

Pants 07-21-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks (Post 7761815)
**** YOU

Saul:

Limited Collector's Edition Features

• Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic game disks in collectible metal case
  • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic galaxy map
  • Custom Security Authentication Key
  • Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
  • High-quality Collector's Edition box
Limited Collector's Edition - Seven Additional Digital Items

• Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air
  • Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance
  • HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer
  • HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures
  • STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spunky Droid to join your adventure
  • Exclusive Collector's Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with an assortment of items

Saulbadguy 07-21-2011 02:18 PM

jesus

Pants 07-21-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks (Post 7761830)
jesus

Don't worry, man, I think everything is attainable in the game except the two exclusive things. It is a nice care package to start the game with, though.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 02:25 PM

Actually I'm also pretty excited about the galaxy map and the authentication key (I'm paranoid as hell after basically losing my lotro account...).

The mouse droid I don't care much about, but they describe the ingame store as 'dynamic' which makes me think it will have either new items as you level up or new items introduced periodically (or both).

Now, I hope (assume) it's not anything game-breaking (i.e. like getting raid gear or something in a store). But I am hoping it's going to be some cool stuff.

Pants 07-21-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7761847)
Actually I'm also pretty excited about the galaxy map and the authentication key (I'm paranoid as hell after basically losing my lotro account...).

The mouse droid I don't care much about, but they describe the ingame store as 'dynamic' which makes me think it will have either new items as you level up or new items introduced periodically (or both).

Now, I hope (assume) it's not anything game-breaking (i.e. like getting raid gear or something in a store). But I am hoping it's going to be some cool stuff.

Yeah, it's probably going to be really cool but gimmicky stuff in that store.

wilas101 07-21-2011 04:31 PM

I just got the standard version. 60 bucks is quite enough... **** paying 80 bucks just to get a speeder because that's the only thing on the list that interested me.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-21-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilas101 (Post 7762275)
I just got the standard version. 60 bucks is quite enough... **** paying 80 bucks just to get a speeder because that's the only thing on the list that interested me.

Why not have your character just kill someone with a speeder? Problem solved.

Fish 07-21-2011 04:52 PM

I'm really borderline on whether the speeder is worth it. What's it take to get a speeder in the game? I can see it being useful for traveling maps.

keg in kc 07-21-2011 08:00 PM

I think right now it's just a matter of reaching the level (25 or 26), purchasing the skill and purchasing the speeder.

kcxiv 07-21-2011 08:14 PM

**** that speeder, in no time youll have something similar or better then that. MMO's now days are loot pinata's everyone wins.

Pants 07-21-2011 08:58 PM

Remember when people were selling copies of WoW for $120 dollars on eBay because everyone was sold out for that first month or so? I wonder if you're going to be able to make that kind of bank with the CE of TOR... Could be a worthwhile investment, and if not, you still got yourself that badass edition of the game.

keg in kc 07-22-2011 05:45 AM

Little bit more on the store. According to Bioware, the vendor location is sort of a VIP lounge area for the CE buyers. Mostly cosmetic items that you purchase with (ingame) credits, although there are some functional items. They won't be overpowered, they'll basically be the same kind of items you can in the regular game, but with different appearances.

As far as cosmetic goes, they don't actually have nor do they intend to create a cosmetic system - you look like what you're wearing, so I'm not sure what they mean by 'cosmetic items'.

keg in kc 07-22-2011 06:20 AM

I don't usually post leaked stuff, and I'm not sure how long these will last, but there are a couple of vids on betacake that I really like this morning, one the first PvP video I've ever seen (I have no idea what the hell is going on, but it looks and sounds fun) and some video of what appears to be a Consular arriving on Coruscant for the first time (just the character looking around at the architecture for a minute or so, it's freaking beautiful).

http://betacake.blogspot.com/2011/07...scant-pvp.html

keg in kc 07-22-2011 01:48 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bzd1mWat-h4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 07-23-2011 12:04 PM

Once gamespot fixes their issues (the video stops around 18 minutes) I'll embed the TOR panel.

What I've seen of it is awesome.

keg in kc 07-24-2011 11:58 AM

<object classId="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/54371" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/54371" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:480px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#<a href="http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/index" style="color:#</div>

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-24-2011 08:45 PM

God I can't wait to get this going. I totally want the dark blue lightsaber.

Huffmeister 07-25-2011 08:57 AM

Got mine pre-ordered (just the basic $59.99 version). Now we just have to continue to play the waiting the game.

mnchiefsguy 07-25-2011 01:28 PM

I really want to get this, but am not sure I will actually have the time to play it.

Ming the Merciless 07-25-2011 03:45 PM

Is there going to be servers or will everyone be able to play together?

Pants 07-25-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 7770790)
Is there going to be servers or will everyone be able to play together?

I'm sure there will be servers capable of supporting thousands of users each.

Ming the Merciless 07-25-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7770797)
I'm sure there will be servers capable of supporting thousands of users each.

just curious if you can switch servers, or will you be tied to a specific server....wouldnt mind being on the same server as some of you guys to help/kill/trade/laugh at you

Pants 07-25-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 7770833)
just curious if you can switch servers, or will you be tied to a specific server....wouldnt mind being on the same server as some of you guys to help/kill/trade/laugh at you

Yeah or we could just roll on the same server.

Ming the Merciless 07-25-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7771017)
Yeah or we could just roll on the same server.

Thats kinda what I was asking....if anyone knew how the server system was gonna work..IOW do you have different characters on each server or just log into a different server each session...

In any case hopefully we can all kick some ass together.

keg in kc 07-25-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 7771636)
Thats kinda what I was asking....if anyone knew how the server system was gonna work..IOW do you have different characters on each server or just log into a different server each session...

In any case hopefully we can all kick some ass together.

They haven't announced anything yet.

They will have multiple servers. The beta server is set up with 8 character slots and I'd assume that's what it will be live. Guilds might be automatically assigned to a server (when I registered mine, I had to select a region (east or west coast) and type of guild (pve, pvp or rp). But really have no earthly idea...

Huffmeister 07-26-2011 10:04 AM

Would anyone be interested in a CP guild? I'm currently in a guild on WoW, but I don't think any of them are planning to play SWTOR. Even if it's not a permanent thing (I may hate playing with you guys :p), it would be kinda cool to have a group of people to experience the launch with.

Keg, I think you've mentioned that you'll be playing with your LOTRO guildies. Do you know what it takes to set up a guild in SWTOR? In WoW you have to raise money and have enough people sign your charter. Is it similar in SWTOR?

keg in kc 07-26-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7773631)
Would anyone be interested in a CP guild? I'm currently in a guild on WoW, but I don't think any of them are planning to play SWTOR. Even if it's not a permanent thing (I may hate playing with you guys :p), it would be kinda cool to have a group of people to experience the launch with.

Keg, I think you've mentioned that you'll be playing with your LOTRO guildies. Do you know what it takes to set up a guild in SWTOR? In WoW you have to raise money and have enough people sign your charter. Is it similar in SWTOR?

No, you can create your guild now. Just go to http://cdn-www.swtor.com/guilds and follow the instructions. They're doing it in 3 phases, details are on the page.

keg in kc 07-26-2011 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've avoided posting leaked stuff (mostly) but I loved this screenshot (link to a huge version) for some reason. It shows an example of the modification system they're using for gear, which I think is great. The way it works (right now at least) is that a piece of gear will have a single basic stat (for example, armor has - shockingly - an armor value) and the rest of your stat boosts will come from item mods or set bonuses. Meaning that - if you want to - you can feasibly use gear for a long time, updating the mods as you level. This is a shot of a lightsaber with four mods equipped:

keg in kc 07-27-2011 07:15 AM

First word on preorder that I've seen:
Quote:

"We're well over 200,000 pre-orders in the first five or six days. From an EA perspective, that is significantly greater than any other EA title we've ever had in the first week," said the company's finance chief, Eric Brown, in an interview.
That's including Battlefield 3.

keg in kc 07-28-2011 06:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some new information on Operations today along with some nice-looking new Eternity Vault screenshots:
Quote:

Each Raid has 2 sizes, for 8 and 16 heros, as well as ajustable [sic] difficulty levels. The quality of the loot is based on the difficulty setting of the instance." After every bossfight EACH player gets a bag of Rewards", says Lead designer Gabe Amatangelo. "Inside that Bag you can find class specific Items, or Badges which can be used to buy items. You don't have to fight for your rewards."
Also some information on PvP:
Quote:

There will be no companion characters in PvP fights, at least not in the Warzones, where teams of both factions battle each other. The game modes in pvp will be along the lines of classical pvp variants such as capturing and holding control points and Capture the flag. Thus far we have seen four and eight player warzones.Although there are tests for mass pvp fight going on Georg Zoeller didn't comment on mass pvp fights at that moment.

Furthermore BioWare is working on a warzone where players from the same faction can fight faction each other, but only as a backup solution in case the enemy can't provide enough players. There will also be open world pvp fights in which each faction can pursue missions objectives.Several planets will offer special pvp assignments, which could be something like capturing enemy buildings or eliminating enemy leaders.According to Zoeller this ensures that pvp oriented players can focus on certain areas and it gives them a bit more structure. The question concerning armed combat vehicles, Georg Zoeller answers with a promising maybe... So, chances are the players might be able to ride into combat in vehicles, maybe not in open world pvp but in Warzones. Apart from this, players will be able to fight against other players during some of their regular quests, similar to Warhammer Online, where some quests lead intro enemy territory making an pvp encounter more likely.
Full size images are here, here and here.

Hammock Parties 07-28-2011 06:39 PM

Those three screenshots...jizz

Barret 07-28-2011 07:42 PM

Damn Betacake went down. I have tried to follow a couple of the links posted and it says "Blogger not found" now.

keg in kc 07-28-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 7782530)
Damn Betacake went down. I have tried to follow a couple of the links posted and it says "Blogger not found" now.

Should be up tomorrow or Saturday on a new host I think.

keg in kc 07-29-2011 09:29 AM

Sweet Esseles walkthrough (one of the early Flashpoints... ):
Quote:

The Esseles, a Republic transport that carries some of the most high-profiled members of the Galactic Senate across the galaxy, has come under siege from the opportunistic Grand Moff Kilran. Dallas Dickinson guides you along as a group of Republic heroes must band together to repel the Imperial boarding parties and retake their ship in this Developer Walkthrough.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WayPkgWNQeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>