ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Sure-Oz 08-27-2008 09:08 PM

I own equilibrium and have never watched it, problem is i cant find it now, im so pissed

got it for $4 a best buy a long time ago

ChiefsFan4Life 08-29-2008 08:07 PM

I watched Gone, Baby Gone earlier today and it was FANTASTIC. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

KcMizzou 08-29-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4959206)
I watched Gone, Baby Gone earlier today and it was FANTASTIC. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Yeah, Affleck's little brother's a better actor than he is... but he might have found his niche directing.

Sure-Oz 08-30-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4959206)

Casey Affleck was good in that flick, really good movie

Pablo 08-30-2008 12:36 AM

I watched Pan's Labyrinth a few weeks back.

The movie totally captivated me. Excellent flick. Really enjoyed it.

irishjayhawk 08-30-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 4960158)
I watched Pan's Labyrinth a few weeks back.

The movie totally captivated me. Excellent flick. Really enjoyed it.

Whoa, that's weird.

I just got finished rewatching it tonight.

Originally, I said that Children of Men should have got an Oscar for cinematography and that Pan's stole it. I was wrong. Children of Men should have gotten the Oscar but Pan's didn't steal it. It was beautifully made and the lighting was just astonishing.

Children of Men should have won because Pan's picked up 2 other awards. But I cannot say it stole it.

Buck 08-30-2008 08:47 PM

I bought Pan's Labyrinth on Blu-Ray but have yet to watch it, Im all hopped up on Vicodin and Flexiril so If I try to watch anything but Football Im going to fall asleep. It will be my next watch.

Then I have to watch There Will Be Blood. I haven't watched about half of my Blu-Rays

Baby Lee 09-06-2008 04:00 PM

Just watched Adaptation for the umpteenth time, reinforcing my assessment that it's about the most brilliant movie ever made.
So many small things [like the subtle changes in posture and lighting regarding Chris Cooper's character] that make it brilliant, then you try to synthesize what makes it brilliant overall, all while watching a movie about making a movie that where the writer can't synthesize the brilliance he sees and slowly but enexorably sidles himself with the hackneyed plot devices he hates, resulting in a brilliant send-up of all those hackneyed plot devices.
There's not a second of this movie that I don't love to pieces.

PS - for those who know NOTHING about Adaptation, I suggest you see it once, get over your major case of WTFs, read everything you can about it, and watch it again. It's worth it.

PPS - regarding the early iterations of Cooper's character, I think I know where Mike Judge got the inspiration for Luanne's Lucky.

Nzoner 09-06-2008 04:49 PM

So last night the mrs and I rented a couple(she picked one and I did the same) of movies and although I'm not much on romantic comedy I have to admit the mrs did rather well with Over Her Dead Body,I actually laughed out loud a couple of times especially on the farting scene but what do you expect.

My choice was 21 and I enjoyed it quite a bit although it had some holes in it.Spacey was good as always and the movie definitely had me jonesin' for another trip to Vegas.

Deberg_1990 09-06-2008 08:05 PM

Watched Jumper last night. Anyone seen it?

It was ok, but nothing special. Hayden (I have zero personality) Christenson, was better in it than Anakin, but i guess thats not saying much.

It was a cool premise, but it didnt have enough of a script.

Fire Me Boy! 09-06-2008 08:43 PM

My wife rocks. Her movies for today: Star Trek II and The Highlander.

irishjayhawk 09-06-2008 09:35 PM

I finally got around to seeing the Big Labowski. I thought it was okay for a story about nothing. I loved the characters and acting (so many people :)). But I just fail to see why so many people put it up on a pedestal.

noa 09-06-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4986681)
I finally got around to seeing the Big Labowski. I thought it was okay for a story about nothing. I loved the characters and acting (so many people :)). But I just fail to see why so many people put it up on a pedestal.

Watch it a few more times and get back to me. And don't just do it at once. This is a movie that grows on everyone who gives it a chance. Your reaction is exactly how I felt and a bunch of other friends, but trust me, you will be rewarded for watching it a few more times. The lines that are delivered are amazing, but it takes a few viewing until you realize how perfect they are. Once you can watch it and say the lines along with the character, it will have hooked you for life. Probably the most quotable movie ever.

noa 09-06-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4985701)
Just watched Adaptation for the umpteenth time, reinforcing my assessment that it's about the most brilliant movie ever made.

"That's how much f*** fish" is possibly my favorite line in any movie.

luv 09-07-2008 12:26 AM

Watching Live Free or Die Hard on HBO.

Fire Me Boy! 09-07-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 4986792)
Watch it a few more times and get back to me. And don't just do it at once. This is a movie that grows on everyone who gives it a chance. Your reaction is exactly how I felt and a bunch of other friends, but trust me, you will be rewarded for watching it a few more times. The lines that are delivered are amazing, but it takes a few viewing until you realize how perfect you are. Once you can watch it and say the lines along with the character, it will have hooked you for life. Probably the most quotable movie ever.

QFT

I nearly hated it the first time I watched it. But I give every movie I watch two shots. I can go back the second time with a little better idea of what to expect.

Every time I watch BL, I like it a little more.

Baby Lee 09-07-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 4986798)
"That's how much f*** fish" is possibly my favorite line in any movie.

I'd love to be that fat and bald and still have the lack of self awareness and abundance of confidence to announce at a party, I'm staying over at Maggie Gyllenhaal's for a little "push push, in the bush."

ROFL ROFL

Buehler445 09-07-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4986681)

BULLSHIT WALTER!

Buehler445 09-07-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 4987240)
Watching Live Free or Die Hard on HBO.

Don't go in with any expectations. It's pretty dumb, but good for mindless violence.

EDIT: And they took out the profanity to make it PG-13. WHAT THE ****?

Ceej 09-07-2008 10:02 AM

I watched 25th Hour the other day. Excellent flick, IMHO.

Norton's the man.

DeepPurple 09-07-2008 10:13 AM

The way many talk about Big Labowski is the way I feel about another Coen Bros film, Raising Arizona. I saw it twice in the theater when it came out in 1987. I remember hearing the film was by the same guys that made Blood Simple, plus at the time I remember liking Nicolas Cage in the couple of films I had seen him in, especially Birdy which I had bought for the Peter Gabriel soundtrack. Later in the early 90's I bought the Raising Arizona VHS tape and everytime it shows up on TV I'm stuck watching it.

At the time besides Nicolas Cage being hardly known, I only knew John Goodman for a Talking Heads video, but his character as Gale is what I think of everytime I hear his name. To me, so many scenes are classic. The convenience store hold up and police chase, the visit to the trailer by H.I.'s boss' family with Frances McDormand as Dot, Gale and his friend breaking out of prison, later their bank holdup and the blue dye pack going off. There's is just too many classic scenes.

Otter 09-07-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Luzcious (Post 4936853)
I just finished watching "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." Little late to the party.. I know. I enjoyed it, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

"GENTLEMEN!!! YOU CAN'T FIGHT IN HERE, THIS IS THE WAR ROOM!!!"

ROFL

That movie is definitely one that deserves a second viewing. A lot of subtle humor in there to catch while trying to keep up with the plot.

Jenson71 09-07-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 4987999)
I watched 25th Hour the other day. Excellent flick, IMHO.

Norton's the man.

Speaking of Norton, I saw Primal Fear last week. I liked the atmosphere and the courtroom drama, but the corruption of the Archbishop was tiring.

I enjoy movies with Catholic characters, backdrops, and themes. One I enjoyed very much was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The priest in particularly, is a very moral and faith-filled man. It's also extremely creepy.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-07-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 4987937)
BULLSHIT WALTER!

That's what happens hen you **** a stranger in the ass...

irishjayhawk 09-07-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 4992488)
Speaking of Norton, I saw Primal Fear last week. I liked the atmosphere and the courtroom drama, but the corruption of the Archbishop was tiring.

I enjoy movies with Catholic characters, backdrops, and themes. One I enjoyed very much was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The priest in particularly, is a very moral and faith-filled man. It's also extremely creepy.

Tom Wilkinson, ftw!

patteeu 09-08-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4985701)
So many small things [like the subtle changes in posture and lighting regarding Chris Cooper's character] that make it brilliant, then you try to synthesize what makes it brilliant overall, all while watching a movie about making a movie that where the writer can't synthesize the brilliance he sees and slowly but enexorably sidles himself with the hackneyed plot devices he hates, resulting in a brilliant send-up of all those hackneyed plot devices.
There's not a second of this movie that I don't love to pieces.

PS - for those who know NOTHING about Adaptation, I suggest you see it once, get over your major case of WTFs, read everything you can about it, and watch it again. It's worth it.

PPS - regarding the early iterations of Cooper's character, I think I know where Mike Judge got the inspiration for Luanne's Lucky.

Chris Cooper = University of Missouri school of drama grad according to imdb.com

irishjayhawk 09-08-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 4994653)
Chris Cooper = University of Missouri school of drama grad according to imdb.com

You also forgot badass actor.

Fire Me Boy! 09-08-2008 08:23 AM

Cooper grew up in Blue Springs.

Fire Me Boy! 09-08-2008 10:26 AM

More Chris Cooper-Missouri trivia:

Studied ballet at Stephens College in Columbia.

He majored in agriculture and acting at the University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.

Turned down the role of Jim Gordon in Batman Begins (2005).

As a young man, he did some construction work, including helping with the construction of Royals Stadium in Kansas City, now known as Kaufman Stadium.

Graduated from Southwest High School in 1969. Southwest High School closed down in 1998 and reopened in 1999 as Southwest Charter School. Southwest High School is located in the Kansas City, Missouri School District.

Sure-Oz 09-08-2008 10:32 AM

Chris Cooper is the shit, from the city (then small town) i grew up in

Deberg_1990 09-08-2008 11:19 AM

Ive always liked Cooper. Hes great in the original Lonesume Dove from like 20 years ago. That was the first time i ever remember seeing him.

irishjayhawk 09-08-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4995122)
More Chris Cooper-Missouri trivia:

Studied ballet at Stephens College in Columbia.

He majored in agriculture and acting at the University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.

Turned down the role of Jim Gordon in Batman Begins (2005).

As a young man, he did some construction work, including helping with the construction of Royals Stadium in Kansas City, now known as Kaufman Stadium.

Graduated from Southwest High School in 1969. Southwest High School closed down in 1998 and reopened in 1999 as Southwest Charter School. Southwest High School is located in the Kansas City, Missouri School District.

Didn't know that.

I don't know whether I'm happy or not. I love Gary Oldman but Chris Cooper is awesome too. Course, I loved Oldman in DK.

Buehler445 09-08-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 4988026)
The way many talk about Big Labowski is the way I feel about another Coen Bros film, Raising Arizona. I saw it twice in the theater when it came out in 1987. I remember hearing the film was by the same guys that made Blood Simple, plus at the time I remember liking Nicolas Cage in the couple of films I had seen him in, especially Birdy which I had bought for the Peter Gabriel soundtrack. Later in the early 90's I bought the Raising Arizona VHS tape and everytime it shows up on TV I'm stuck watching it.

At the time besides Nicolas Cage being hardly known, I only knew John Goodman for a Talking Heads video, but his character as Gale is what I think of everytime I hear his name. To me, so many scenes are classic. The convenience store hold up and police chase, the visit to the trailer by H.I.'s boss' family with Frances McDormand as Dot, Gale and his friend breaking out of prison, later their bank holdup and the blue dye pack going off. There's is just too many classic scenes.

Raising Arizona is a freaking classic!

Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy! 09-08-2008 12:36 PM

And more Batman Begins/Dark Knight trivia:

Christian Bale had previously screen tested and was considered for the role of Robin in Batman Forever (1995).

Kurt Russell and Dennis Quaid were considered for the role of James Gordon.

Viggo Mortensen turned down Liam Neeson's role. Daniel Day-Lewis was also approached.

Anthony Hopkins was offered the role of Alfred but declined.

Laurence Fishburne was considered for the role of Lucius Fox.

Christian Bale's trailer didn't have his name on the door but said "Bruce Wayne" instead.

Due to his part in Maquinista, El (2004) (aka The Machinist), Christian Bale was vastly underweight (about 120 pounds on his 6 foot+ frame) when he was under consideration for the part. After being cast, he was told to become as "big as you could be" by Christopher Nolan. Bale underwent a dietary and exercise regimen and ending up weighing about 220 pounds (about 40 pounds above his normal weight). It was decided that Bale had became too large (friends of his on the film's crew dubbed him "Fatman") and he quickly shed about 20 pounds to have leaner, more muscular frame.

Matt Damon was Christopher Nolan's first choice for the role of Harvey Dent but turned it down. Before Aaron Eckhart was cast in the part, other actors considered included Hugh Jackman, Ryan Phillippe, Liev Schreiber, Jake Gyllenhaal and Josh Lucas.

As a joke, one bat suit was made with nipples, as in Batman & Robin (1997). It was presented to Christian Bale as the real bat suit, but he knew instantly it was a joke, having seen a few design pictures during preproduction. He did pose for some publicity photos in the "nipple" suit.

To prepare for his role as the Joker, Heath Ledger lived alone in a hotel room for a month, formulating the character's psychology, posture and voice (the last one he found most difficult to do). He started a diary, in which he wrote the Joker's thoughts and feelings to guide himself during his performance. He was also given Alan Moore's comic "Batman: The Killing Joke" and "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth" to read. Ledger also took inspiration from A Clockwork Orange (1971)'s Alex and Sid Vicious.

It's Sir Michael Caine's opinion that Heath Ledger beat the odds and topped Jack Nicholson's Joker from Batman (1989): "Jack was like a clown figure, benign but wicked, maybe a killer old uncle. He could be funny and make you laugh. Heath's gone in a completely different direction to Jack, he's like a really scary psychopath. He's a lovely guy and his Joker is going to be a hell of a revelation in this picture." Caine bases this belief on a scene where the Joker pays a visit to Bruce Wayne's penthouse. He'd never met Ledger before, so when Ledger arrived and performed he gave Caine such a fright he forgot his lines.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

irishjayhawk 09-08-2008 12:48 PM

I love the bit of the clapping not being in the script. I read parts of the script and there's a lot that was improvised. For the better....

blaise 09-09-2008 11:48 AM

I watched Oldboy the other night. It's Korean w/subtitles. I liked it, it's pretty graphic in places though, but I thought it was imaginative and well acted.
Plus the dude eats an octupus alive. Pretty wild.

noa 09-09-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 4999087)
I watched Oldboy the other night. It's Korean w/subtitles. I liked it, it's pretty graphic in places though, but I thought it was imaginative and well acted.
Plus the dude eats an octupus alive. Pretty wild.

Oldboy is an awesome movie. I would definitely recommend checking out the rest of the trilogy: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance. Oldboy is probably the best of the three, and they are all very different, but I think they are each awesome in their own way, and all very graphic.

kcvet 09-10-2008 11:06 AM

Rambo 08. but I had to buy DVD burn software to copy. he didn't over play the part. plus it was based on a true story

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAhdBPXh1ts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAhdBPXh1ts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcvet (Post 5001917)
Rambo 08. but I had to buy DVD burn software to copy. he didn't over play the part. plus it was based on a true story

Had to buy DVD burn software? Seems like someone needs a lesson on needs vs. wants.

And legal vs. illegal.

QuikSsurfer 09-10-2008 12:14 PM

LTTP: Children of Men

Watched this last night and am still thinking about it today. Great, great movie. A must purchase.

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5002187)

Watched this last night and am still thinking about it today. Great, great movie. A must purchase.

Pretty good, yes.

I watched Star Trek 5. It still sucks.

Been leading up to Star Trek 6 tonight.

My wife wanted to watch Khan a few days ago, so we did. She's never seen any of the others, so I've made her watch them, even though 3 and 5 suck, and 4 is the worst of the even numbers.

patteeu 09-10-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5002173)
Had to buy DVD burn software? Seems like someone needs a lesson on needs vs. wants.

And legal vs. illegal.

He didn't say he needed to make a copy. He said he had to buy the software (presumably because he wanted to make a copy).

irishjayhawk 09-10-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5002187)

One of my favorite movies. It was in my top 5, if not my #1 movie of that year.

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 5002230)
He didn't say he needed to make a copy. He said he had to buy the software (presumably because he wanted to make a copy).

Yeah... ;)

Deberg_1990 09-10-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5002220)
Pretty good, yes.

I watched Star Trek 5. It still sucks.

Been leading up to Star Trek 6 tonight.

My wife wanted to watch Khan a few days ago, so we did. She's never seen any of the others, so I've made her watch them, even though 3 and 5 suck, and 4 is the worst of the even numbers.

Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek. It transcends the genre.

4 is good, but quite cheesy at times.

I watched 5 about a year ago, and it still sucks.

6 was very good. Probably the 2nd best Trek flick. Love the whole play on the cold war ending about the time that flick was made.

Never really cared much for any of the Next Generation flicks, but the only truly terrible one was Insurrection.

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5002274)
Wrath of Khan is still the best Trek. It transcends the genre.

4 is good, but quite cheesy at times.

I watched 5 about a year ago, and it still sucks.

6 was very good. Probably the 2nd best Trek flick. Love the whole play on the cold war ending about the time that flick was made.

Never really cared much for any of the Next Generation flicks, but the only truly terrible one was Insurrection.

Exactly how I feel. 2, 6, 4. Though I think The Motion Picture is the best story, it suffers from a SERIOUS case of boring-as-shit-itis.

The next gen stuff is OK. I own Nemesis, but still haven't seen it.

Deberg_1990 09-10-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5002320)
Exactly how I feel. 2, 6, 4. Though I think The Motion Picture is the best story, it suffers from a SERIOUS case of boring-as-shit-itis.

The next gen stuff is OK. I own Nemesis, but still haven't seen it.

Yea, Motion Picture is ok. I have more respect for it than actual enjoyment.

Nemesis is ok. I know alot of people didnt like but i enjoyed it. Its kind of a ripoff of Khan, but its ok.

blaise 09-10-2008 01:11 PM

I watched Pi the other day. It was pretty good. A guy tries to find mathematical patterns in the stock market and people start chasing him becaus of it.
It's in black and white and sparse. It reminds me of Eraserhead with a plot and dialougue.

QuikSsurfer 09-10-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5002367)
I watched Pi the other day. It was pretty good. A guy tries to find mathematical patterns in the stock market and people start chasing him becaus of it.
It's in black and white and sparse. It reminds me of Eraserhead with a plot and dialougue.

I really enjoyed the movie and it had a GREAT soundtrack.
From the director of Requiem for a Dream.

Fire Me Boy! 09-10-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5002405)
I really enjoyed the movie and it had a GREAT soundtrack.
From the director of Requiem for a Dream.

Well... technically, Requiem for a Dream was from the director of Pi. Pi was first. ;)

QuikSsurfer 09-10-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5002454)
Well... technically, Requiem for a Dream was from the director of Pi. Pi was first. ;)

hehe my mistake :)

irishjayhawk 09-18-2008 08:41 PM

I have not seen such a craptacular suckfest in a long time. Said suckfest is Burn After Reading.

It redefines a misleading trailer.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-18-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5033051)
I have not seen such a craptacular suckfest in a long time. Said suckfest is Burn After Reading.

it had a few moments, but I was likewise quite disappointed.

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5033051)

Vintage Coen Brother dark comedy. Thought it was great.

irishjayhawk 09-18-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 5033092)
Vintage Coen Brother dark comedy. Thought it was great.

What was funny about it? All the good parts were in the trailer, save for the last 5 minutes with JK Simmons.

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5033115)
What was funny about it? All the good parts were in the trailer, save for the last 5 minutes with JK Simmons.

The trailer was to get mainstream people who would normally not go see a dark off beat satire movie into the theater. I can understand why it's not for everybody so you're right in one sense the trailer is misleading. It's a lot more than just a slapstick

irishjayhawk 09-18-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 5033225)
The trailer was to get mainstream people who would normally not go see a dark off beat satire movie into the theater. I can understand why it's not for everybody so you're right in one sense the trailer is misleading. It's a lot more than just a slapstick

I like dark humor. I just didn't get it in this movie, I guess.

Simply Red 09-18-2008 09:59 PM

nsfw - as always.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w94dZtKXaaE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w94dZtKXaaE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2008 10:00 PM

Musta thought it was white boy day

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2008 10:02 PM

SR the greatest scene in cinematic history comes from that same movie between Walken and Hopper. It makes me a happy happy camper

irishjayhawk 09-18-2008 11:01 PM

I know it's in the thread starter but it was on HBO today so I have to plug it again:

Michael Clayton was badass.

Simply Red 09-18-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 5033251)
SR the greatest scene in cinematic history comes from that same movie between Walken and Hopper. It makes me a happy happy camper

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pm_LbJTvTWA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pm_LbJTvTWA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simply Red 09-18-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5033395)
I know it's in the thread starter but it was on HBO today so I have to plug it again:

Told ya.

Simply Red 09-18-2008 11:24 PM

Rendition was garbage (again.) Lions for Lambs, or whatever was awful too. Babel was awesome, IMO.

Buck 09-18-2008 11:44 PM

I saw Michael Clayton when it came out, and I really didn't enjoy it.

I didn't get it at all, I'm not sure why.

irishjayhawk 09-18-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5033559)

Watch it again. I'm not sure why I didn't get it the first time, but still loved it. And then the second time everything clicked and I loved it more.

Miles 09-19-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

It was heavily character/acting driven. I really enjoyed it but didn't think that it quite lived up to the hype. The last 15 minutes or so had some very badass exchanges.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5033395)

I thought it was boring and highly predictable.

How Tilda Swinson won an Oscar for 10 minutes of predictability is beyond me.

Well, actually not (voter pandering, gifts and so on) but what a joke.

Miles 09-19-2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033759)

I first watched it after the awards and was kind of thinking the same thing. She was pretty damn good in it but I didn't get the feeling of holy shit she should win an award for this.

I realize I can google this but who else was more deserving in the field?

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5033783)
I first watched it after the awards and was kind of thinking the same thing. She was pretty damn good in it but I didn't get the feeling of holy shit she should win an award for this.

I realize I can google this but who else was more deserving in the field?

Best Supporting Actress

* Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton
o Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
o Ruby Dee - American Gangster
o Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
o Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone

I'd have gone with Amy Ryan or Ruby Dee.

Honestly, the field wasn't that strong. Tilda, while a good actress, didn't deserve an Oscar IMO for a role that could have been played just as easily by 20 other women off the top of my head.

Miles 09-19-2008 01:32 AM

I watched The Counterfeiters last weekend but forgot to post it on this thread. It was really damn good and I would definitly suggest it is worth the rental even if you dislike subtitles.

Miles 09-19-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033799)
Best Supporting Actress

* Tilda - Michael Clayton

Honestly, the field wasn't that strong. Tilda, while a good actress, didn't deserve an Oscar IMO for a role that could have been played just as easily by 20 other women off the top of my head.

I definitely agree with your take on it. Also agree that while she played the part well it could have easily worked with quite a few other actresses.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 01:38 AM

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but I purchased "The Bank Job" a few weeks back on one of those 4 for $20 deals and it was terribly disappointing. It took me 3.5 hours to get through a 2 hour movie.

B.O.R.I.N.G.

And the accents were brutal for me.

Miles 09-19-2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033821)
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but I purchased "The Bank Job" a few weeks back on one of those 4 for $20 deals and it was terribly disappointing. It took me 3.5 hours to get through a 2 hour movie.

B.O.R.I.N.G.

And the accents were brutal for me.

My expectations were really low on this one with all of the recent heist type of flicks but I ended up enjoying it. I am really worn out of the random band of guys setting up a complex robbery at this point and unfortunately it is kind of souring me on some of the classics.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5033832)
My expectations were really low on this one with all of the recent heist type of flicks but I ended up enjoying it. I am really worn out of the random band of guys setting up a complex robbery at this point and unfortunately it is kind of souring me on some of the classics.

I was expecting action and intrigue like "The Italian Job" or the Danny Ocean series or Snatch or movies in a similar vein.

But a story about Princess Caroline being a sex freak that perpetuates itself into the reason for the bank heist in 1971 was futile to me.

Add to that, a lame soundtrack and score and no chemistry between Statham and anyone else, especially Saffron Burrows (or his wife).

It just didn't work for me personally.

Miles 09-19-2008 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033840)
I was expecting action and intrigue like "The Italian Job" or the Danny Ocean series or Snatch or movies in a similar vein.

But a story about Princess Caroline being a sex freak that perpetuates itself into the reason for the bank heist in 1971 was futile to me.

Add to that, a lame soundtrack and score and no chemistry between Statham and anyone else, especially Saffron Burrows (or his wife).

I can defiantly understand. For a while I thought I was watching a shittier take on the Inside Man, which I really liked.

Fire Me Boy! 09-19-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Watch it again. I was pretty "meh" when I saw it the first time. Really enjoyed it the second time.

Deberg_1990 09-19-2008 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033799)
Best Supporting Actress

* Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

Ruby Dee being nominated was kind of a joke too. She had like maybe 3 or 4 lines the entire movie. She got nominated for slapping Denzel.

Baby Lee 09-19-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033759)
I thought it was boring and highly predictable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 5033724)
It was heavily character/acting driven. I really enjoyed it but didn't think that it quite lived up to the hype. The last 15 minutes or so had some very badass exchanges.

My opinion is you're both right. On the page, MC is a formuliac and predictible straightforward movie. The acting performances make the story resonate and stick with you. And Tilda's performance was the kind of stuff Oscar voters live for.

mikeyis4dcats. 09-19-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5033840)

well, it IS supposed to be based on a true story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bank_Job