ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Getting my first Colonoscopy tomorrow. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=345087)

BigRedChief 09-08-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16449540)
The ACS actually recommends them even at 45 these days.. Apparently colon cancer is becoming more common among "younger" people (though we aren't sure why). It actually got a friend of mine a couple of years ago. And there are also hereditary risk factors, so if you have a family member who has had pre-cancerous polyps removed, you should bump the date even earlier.

I'm on the "frequent customer" program these days. I had a colonoscopy at 38 due to some other GI issues, and they found a couple of pre-cancerous polyps. Thankfully, my brother (age 48) did one a while after and was fine.

So they find a polyp up in there they just cut it out or do they have to test then go back in and cut it out later?

SupDock 09-08-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16449548)
So they find a polyp up in there they just cut it out or do they have to test then go back in and cut it out later?

Get it right then, and send it to pathology. Depending on specifics, you may need to return in 5 or 3 or 1 years.

DaFace 09-08-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

If they find anything (which is relatively common), they'll take them out during the colonoscopy and send anything iffy off for a biopsy.

Straight, No Chaser 09-08-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Um, that wouldn't make a lot of sense, would it? Put you under 2x.

They take care of them as they find them. If they find one then you should be back again in 3 years. I think this is because if they find one, they may miss others. However, if they find none, you are good for 5 years.

Enjoy the day prior...

SupDock 09-08-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16449557)
If they find anything (which is relatively common), they'll take them out during the colonoscopy and send anything iffy off for a biopsy.

Sometimes they will tattoo the colon so they can find the spot next time.

SupDock 09-08-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 16449559)
Um, that wouldn't make a lot of sense, would it? Put you under 2x.

They take care of them as they find them. If they find one then you should be back again in 3 years. I think this is because if they find one, they may miss others. However, if they find none, you are good for 5 years.

Enjoy the day prior...

Finding none is usually 10 year interval if no family history.

DaFace 09-08-2022 03:57 PM

Case in point about the age thing: remember that colon cancer is what killed Chadwick Boseman. He was 43.

SupDock 09-08-2022 04:01 PM

Interesting note about colonoscopies. They are covered pretty well by insurance if they are for screening (due based on age, not for symptoms)

However, if they find a polyp it is automatically coded as a diagnostic colonoscopy and costs more. I believe Each biopsy is also a specific charge

DaFace 09-08-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16449572)
Interesting note about colonoscopies. They are covered pretty well by insurance if they are for screening (due based on age, not for symptoms)

However, if they find a polyp it is automatically coded as a diagnostic colonoscopy and costs more. I believe Each biopsy is also a specific charge

I THINK that depends on the state. Or at least I paid $0 for mine (in Colorado), which included multiple polyps and biopsies.

Meanwhile, my brother (in Kansas) paid like $1500 for his, which found nothing. :eek:

Bearcat 09-08-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16449572)

'Merica.

crayzkirk 09-08-2022 04:04 PM

Yeah, the prep is the worst part of it. The give you a medication so you are still awake however you don't really have a memory of anything. I can recall being told to roll over on my side and seeing the monitor (maybe I was dreaming). I was pretty groggy afterwards and definitely needed a ride home.

Honestly, the worst part of it was waking up and seeing all of the doctors pulling their pants up...

Hope it goes well.

BigRedChief 09-08-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16449557)

that’s why I’m doing it.

My understanding is I could have dangerous polyps up in there and not know it for 3-5 years when I notice blood in stools. Then it’s too late or you’re fighting for your life and doing chemo. Sounds like a scenario I’d like to avoid. Spending a day not far from a toilet sounds like a good trade off.

Rausch 09-08-2022 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16449580)
that’s why I’m doing it.

My understanding is I could have dangerous polyps up in there and not know it for 3-5 years when I notice blood in stools. Then it’s too late or you’re fighting for your life and doing chemo. Sounds like a scenario I’d like to avoid. Spending a day not far from a toilet sounds like a good trade off.

Yeah....but exactly how much do you figure you'll accomplish in that last 20-25 years anyway?

SupDock 09-08-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16449573)
I THINK that depends on the state. Or at least I paid $0 for mine (in Colorado), which included multiple polyps and biopsies.

Meanwhile, my brother (in Kansas) paid like $1500 for his, which found nothing. :eek:

My wife went to an in network provider, and we found out the anesthesiologist was out of network afterwards. We eventually fought it successfully but their initial bill was triple our payment to the doc

Rausch 09-08-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16449631)
My wife went to an in network provider, and we found out the anesthesiologist was out of network afterwards. We eventually fought it successfully but their initial bill was triple our payment to the doc

Drugs 'er expensive, yo...

https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AATXAJyLM4Cx...fffff-no-rj-mo