ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295820)

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12361790)
Dane, thoughts on this?

In other words: Why pay a premium for content that has advertisements? “The value is the depth and breath of the service that you can’t get anywhere else,” DeBevoise says. Another critic accused them of asking people to effectively “pay for CBS twice.” DeBevoise countered: “This original content is not on CBS, this is extra value.”

My thoughts, from the beginning, which I've noted throughout the thread, is that CBS is overvaluing the Star Trek IP and that this is a terrible idea that will not pay for itself.

Discuss Thrower 08-10-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12361703)
I was kind of liking the idea of a Fargo-style TV show with new characters and settings each season. Hopefully they make this a good one.

I'd still prefer to see a post-DS9 series... a year, 10 years, 100 years after... anything like that.

I've been calling for that for years.

My idea is to stick with 2, maybe 3, main characters and move them around from season to season.

Start off with a human male, alien male (think Bolian or Orion) and a humanoid female "will they/won't they?" type of potential romantic interest who start off as ensigns on a mid-size type of ship and have essentially an entire season of TNG's "Lower Decks." showing the ups and downs of Starfleet officer (well, I always envisioned one character being enlisted because a) "realism b) potential for tension a la Miles and Bashir in some eps of DS9) where much of the dramatic conflict comes from superior officers who aren't necessarily bridge crew or from rival lower-ranked officers.

Progress them on from season to season with some good cliffhangers (S1: the core cast are in a precarious away mission scenario, S2: duo/trio get split up because of promotions / re-assignments, S3: ship gets blown up by the end, S4: crucially-located space station is under siege) until you get to a somewhat natural end of the characters' arc and they are in thrust into command themselves.

If Paramount/CBS wants more money, then maybe spin them off into a feature or just bide the time until you can restart the cycle again similar to what 24 has done,

Discuss Thrower 08-10-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361668)
Sounds like he is going to unnecessarily gay it up just to rub people's noses in it because some intolerant assholes sent him hate mail.

FWIW, Andrew Robinson played Garak as if he had the gay love for Bashir and you can still read the character as bisexual by the nature of Garak's profession and by the fact he dated a half-Cardassian woman less out of sexual desire and more out of having something in common among a largely human/almost human social circle.

pr_capone 08-10-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361731)
I couldn't care less that there will be at least one gay character in the series, I just hope it's not "shoe horned in", for lack of a better term, and feels natural to the story.

I'm all about diversity, as long as it works and they're not setting out to tell the story of a non-Caucasian or homosexual, as opposed to a great story, in the Star Trek universe.

That is what I meant but said in my caveman words. Like... if the dude is thuper gay and he is essentially the Kirk/Riker character plowing dudes left and right just for the sake of rubbing some asshole's nose in it.

pr_capone 08-10-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12361807)
Should be in the 2250's, not 2220's (based on 10 years prior to Kirk/Enterprise in TOS).

http://www.trekcore.com/timeline/timeline10.html

Still works. Memory Beta has him dying in 2045.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Archer

DaneMcCloud 08-10-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361918)

:D

RINGLEADER 08-10-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12361731)
I couldn't care less that there will be at least one gay character in the series, I just hope it's not "shoe horned in", for lack of a better term, and feels natural to the story.

I'm all about diversity, as long as it works and they're not setting out to tell the story of a non-Caucasian or homosexual, as opposed to a great story, in the Star Trek universe.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mKDJ5w2Bm-...600/skants.jpg

unlurking 08-11-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 12361918)

So it still works, even though he dies 10 years prior to the timeline of the new show? Kirk takes command of the Enterprise in 2264, and the articles states the show is 10 years prior to TOS. For it to work, it would have to be set 20 years prior. Big difference.

DaneMcCloud 08-29-2016 09:25 AM

CBS’ new “Star Trek” series is quickly coming together, bringing the franchise back to where even the most recent film’s writer and co-star Simon Pegg says is where the franchise is truly at home – television.

“Hannibal” and “Pushing Daisies” creator/showrunner Bryan Fuller is spearheading “Star Trek: Discovery,” though details about it have been kept under wraps beyond brief talk at presentations indicating that its one heavily serialised story across thirteen episodes. It also takes place a decade before the time of James T. Kirk, is set in the ‘Prime Universe’ of Trek, and will follow a female (and likely minority) character who will not be a starship captain.

Today, in a new radio interview (via AICN), Fuller revealed that the lead character in indeed a Starfleet officer and she is referred to in the series as ‘Number One’. Combined with the talk of the setting which takes place around the time of the events of “The Cage,” it sounds like the character will be akin to Majel Barrett-Roddenberry’s first officer from that original rejected TOS pilot episode.

Fuller also revealed that while this first season will consist of thirteen episodes, subsequent seasons will likely comprise no more than ten episodes each due to the sheer amount required to produce the show every year. Part of the reason is also that Fuller is serving double duty as co-showrunner on Starz’s “American Gods” series.

Fuller also spoke about some of the other talent onboard. Nicholas Meyer, who co-wrote and directed the iconic “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” will be scripting the second episode following on from Fuller and Alex Kurtzman’s pilot. “Wonderfalls” and “Pushing Daisies” alum Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have also signed on to serve as co-showrunners, while Jesse Alexander (“Alias,” “Hannibal”) and author Kemp Powers have become a part of the writing team.

Fuller says Joe Menosky, who wrote TNG’s “Time’s Arrow” and Voyager’s “Year of Hell” two-parters, was his mentor when Fuller first got started as a writer on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager”. Menosky is involved in writing the new series alongside Star Trek novelist Kristen Beyer and TV vet Aron Eli Coleite who all joined back in June.

Finally, Fuller also confirmed that the first season of of ‘Discovery’ could be the first live-action season of “Star Trek” NOT to utilize a time travel element as every season of the various shows produced between 1966 to 2005 had at least one if not two episodes involving time travel.

“Star Trek Discovery” is slated premiere on CBS in January ahead of subsequent episodes appearing on CBS All Access in the United States. It will stream within hours of the U.S. broadcast on Netflix in many parts of the world.

keg in kc 09-14-2016 04:18 PM

Delayed until May: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/14/12...layed-may-2017

RINGLEADER 09-14-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12426496)

Not a surprise at all.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 04:37 PM

Yep, no shock.

They haven't even announced a cast so how could they have had episodes on air starting in January?

Deberg_1990 09-14-2016 08:01 PM

yea. a good thing. lets get this thing right and dont rush it.

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 12426505)
Not a surprise at all.

I'll actually be surprised if this isn't pushed back to September 2017.

Why the rush to May, when it's summer and most people are swamped?

DaneMcCloud 09-14-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12426911)
yea. a good thing. lets get this thing right and dont rush it.

I still think it's 70/30 they **** it up