ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc What is your stance on aliens? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292762)

ThaVirus 05-31-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11528006)

That isn't going to do shit. They're allergic to water, dummy. Bonus points if you can lock them in a pantry. I hear they can't open doors.

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11527944)
I saw a UFO. Looking out the back, reversed seats, of my parent Torino station wagon. Going down N. Oak Trafficway.

No one will ever convince me differently.

“There’s a fascinating frailty of the human mind that psychologists know all about, called “argument from ignorance.” This is how it goes. Remember what the “U” stands for in “UFO”? You see lights flashing in the sky. You’ve never seen anything like this before and don’t understand what it is. You say, “It’s a UFO!”

The “U” stands for “unidentified.”

But then you say, “I don’t know what it is; it must be aliens from outer space, visiting from another planet.” The issue here is that if you don’t know what something is, your interpretation of it should stop immediately. You don’t then say it must be X or Y or Z. That’s argument from ignorance. It’s common. I’m not blaming anybody; it may relate to our burning need to manufacture answers because we feel uncomfortable about being steeped in ignorance.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson, Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier

stevieray 05-31-2015 07:50 PM

Nephilim?

whoo boy.

eDave 05-31-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11528148)
“There’s a fascinating frailty of the human mind that psychologists know all about, called “argument from ignorance.” This is how it goes. Remember what the “U” stands for in “UFO”? You see lights flashing in the sky. You’ve never seen anything like this before and don’t understand what it is. You say, “It’s a UFO!”

But then you say, “I don’t know what it is; it must be aliens from outer space, visiting from another planet.” The issue here is that if you don’t know what something is, your interpretation of it should stop immediately. You don’t then say it must be X or Y or Z. That’s argument from ignorance. It’s common. I’m not blaming anybody; it may relate to our burning need to manufacture answers because we feel uncomfortable about being steeped in ignorance.”

40 years and nothing has convinced me otherwise. And I am well aware of the psychology you are referencing and it does not apply here.

Also, I'm a sane individual. I think.

Easy 6 05-31-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11528148)

Too bad the tv scientists word doesnt trump the director of the CIA, or Chairman of the JCOS.

Because they certainly didnt have any scientists informing their opinions...

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11528155)
40 years and nothing has convinced me otherwise. And I am well aware of the psychology you are referencing and it does not apply here.

So what exactly was it that you saw that convinced you that it was a spacecraft from an alien planet? How do you differentiate terrestrial technology that you don't understand from extra-terrestrial technology?

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11528156)
Too bad the tv scientists word doesnt trump the director of the CIA, or Chairman of the JCOS.

Because they certainly didnt have any scientists informing their opinions...

I don't rely on an argument from authority. Apparently you do.

I quoted Neil DeGrasse Tyson because his explanation makes perfect sense. What specific things did the director of the CIA or the Chairman of the JCOS say that you find to be compelling? Or are you just taking their word for it? For that matter, what exactly DID they say? You got a link?

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 08:16 PM

For eDave and Easy 6:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SY300_.jpg

eDave 05-31-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11528173)
So what exactly was it that you saw that convinced you that it was a spacecraft from an alien planet? How do you differentiate terrestrial technology that you don't understand from extra-terrestrial technology?

Understand that I come from an aviation family.

It looked like an airliner contrail, which was my first thought. But it was going the other way and disappearing into the other cloud bank. Then it was gone.

Aliens? Dunno. But I've seen nothing since.

Rain Man 05-31-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11528155)

Let's do a quick test. Do you think the Chiefs will win a Super Bowl in your lifetime? If yes, will it involve the use of alien technology or not?

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11527944)
I saw a UFO. Looking out the back, reversed seats, of my parent Torino station wagon. Going down N. Oak Trafficway.

No one will ever convince me differently.

If your statement is that you saw something you can't identify, nobody can argue that point.

If your statement is that you saw an alien spacecraft, your argument is not terribly convincing.

That's the whole point of Tyson's quote.

eDave 05-31-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11528196)
If your statement is that you saw something you can't identify, nobody can argue that point.

If your statement is that you saw an alien spacecraft, your argument is not terribly convincing.

That's the whole point of Tyson's quote.

SO WHAT THE **** WAS IT?

Pablo 05-31-2015 08:32 PM

I saw jesus and Buddha flying an El Camino through the clouds once.

I believe!

Lex Luthor 05-31-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11528199)
SO WHAT THE **** WAS IT?

Do you understand the term "Argument from incredulity"? Saying "What the **** was it" is not a compelling argument that it was a spaceship from outer space. It's not a compelling argument for ANYTHING.

By your own account this incident happened 40 years ago. You were a kid, you were sitting in the back seat of your parents car, and you were looking out the back window. How long did the incident last? How long did you see this thing? An hour? 30 minutes? 10 minutes? 5 seconds? My money is on 5 seconds.

Frankly, people who say they were abducted by aliens and subjected to all sorts of medical tests and anal probes make a stronger case, because if they are telling the truth, something very weird DID happen. You could be telling the complete truth and the answer could be a completely logical explanation.

You should read this article. This person debunked his own UFO sighting 14 years after it happened.

eDave 05-31-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11528229)
Do you understand the term "Argument from incredulity"? Saying "What the **** was it" is not a compelling argument that it was a spaceship from outer space. It's not a compelling argument for ANYTHING.

By your own account this incident happened 40 years ago. You were a kid, you were sitting in the back seat of your parents car, and you were looking out the back window. How long did the incident last? How long did you see this thing? An hour? 30 minutes? 10 minutes? 5 seconds? My money is on 5 seconds.

Frankly, people who say they were abducted by aliens and subjected to all sorts of medical tests and anal probes make a stronger case, because if they are telling the truth, something very weird DID happen. You could be telling the complete truth and the answer could be a completely logical explanation.

You should read this article. This person debunked his own UFO sighting 14 years after it happened.

Leave me alone Jesus freak.