ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Competition Committee to true NFL Fans: Get ****ed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285773)

Rain Man 08-19-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 10832738)
To be honest, the 1970-1978 period is the most interesting to me. I wonder how much of the worry about high scoring is coming from people who remember those as the glory years of the NFL, not recognizing that those years were the abnormal ones, viewed within the entire history of the NFL.

I've pondered that as well. People my age grew up in the biggest defensive era of football, and now we're living in the biggest offensive era of football. It's a very different game.

I don't particularly need to go back to the 70s era. I don't mind seeing scoring. I just don't want teams scoring 35 points per game and losing 75 percent of the time.

morphius 08-19-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10832720)
Yup, that is my gripe with it. I want fair competition, not this legalized cheating crap to let Manning have a better shot at the Superbowl.

I'd actually approve even more if they made offensive pass interference and illegal contact down field should be a loss of down penalty on the offense. As big a punishment as a PI call can be for the defense, it should be more painful for the offense as well.

morphius 08-19-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10832769)
So alex needs to chuck it down the field more.

Oops, what was I thinking. LMAO

He can chuck it down field just fine...

...getting near the receiver when trying to do it is another matter.

MagicHef 08-19-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10832805)
I've pondered that as well. People my age grew up in the biggest defensive era of football, and now we're living in the biggest offensive era of football. It's a very different game.

I don't particularly need to go back to the 70s era. I don't mind seeing scoring. I just don't want teams scoring 35 points per game and losing 75 percent of the time.

I'm sure you didn't mean it literally, but teams lost 4 times in the regular season while scoring 35 or more points, the Chiefs and Bears each did it once, and the Cowboys did it twice.

It happened again once in the playoffs, but maybe we shouldn't talk about that.

Anyway, in total, teams scored 35 or more points 66 times, 5 of which were losses, making it 7.6% of the time. You just missed a decimal point.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-20-2014 08:26 AM

I hope this is the last WCO the Chiefs indulge in.

Reerun_KC 08-20-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10832769)
So alex needs to chuck it down the field more.

Oops, what was I thinking. LMAO

You wasnt apparently. When has Reid just "chucked" it down the field in his WCO?

People seem to forget this small piece of information when referring to alex smith.

htismaqe 08-20-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10834757)
You wasnt apparently. When has Reid just "chucked" it down the field in his WCO?

People seem to forget this small piece of information when referring to alex smith.

They did it a couple of years. The year they had Terrell Owens and went to the Super Bowl, they threw downfield more than any team in the league.

TomBarndtsTwin 08-20-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 10829414)
Don't you think it will tome down some when the season starts. The NFL doesn't want a 5 and a half hour flag fest every game. Or does it?

Maybe they do?

Longer games = more commercial time = more ad revenue for NFL

Sorry to ticket holders who have to sit through a 4 or 5 hour game, but since you're here, feel free to buy even MORE of our great NFL products . . . .

(Thinks the NFL is okay with long drawn-out games)

OldSchool 08-20-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10834792)
They did it a couple of years. The year they had Terrell Owens and went to the Super Bowl, they threw downfield more than any team in the league.

Now if only we could get someone with the same level of talent as Terrell Owens had, on this team . . . Only way that's happening is if we trade for Josh Gordon and he doesn't screw up off the field and stays in shape, or the Broncos inexplicably let Demaryius Thomas walk and he somehow wants to sign here.

Neither of those cases are likely to happen.

htismaqe 08-20-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10834828)
Now if only we could get someone with the same level of talent as Terrell Owens had, on this team . . . Only way that's happening is if we trade for Josh Gordon and he doesn't screw up off the field and stays in shape, or the Broncos inexplicably let Demaryius Thomas walk and he somehow wants to sign here.

Neither of those cases are likely to happen.

They also had Donovan McNabb.

Alex Smith is much more like Jeff Garcia than Donovan McNabb.

Rain Man 08-20-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 10832881)
I'm sure you didn't mean it literally, but teams lost 4 times in the regular season while scoring 35 or more points, the Chiefs and Bears each did it once, and the Cowboys did it twice.

It happened again once in the playoffs, but maybe we shouldn't talk about that.

Anyway, in total, teams scored 35 or more points 66 times, 5 of which were losses, making it 7.6% of the time. You just missed a decimal point.

Eh, I just know what happened in my signature. Maybe the Chiefs are an extreme outlier, but they averaged 35 points a game and lost a strong majority of them in the back half of the season. I recognize that the results may be different if you look only at the 35+ games (the Chiefs went 2-2 in games where they scored 35+ points), but that's still not where the sport of football should be.

MagicHef 08-20-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10834851)
Eh, I just know what happened in my signature. Maybe the Chiefs are an extreme outlier, but they averaged 35 points a game and lost a strong majority of them in the back half of the season. I recognize that the results may be different if you look only at the 35+ games (the Chiefs went 2-2 in games where they scored 35+ points), but that's still not where the sport of football should be.

Ah. I have sigs turned off, I didn't see that.

The Chiefs are a bit of an outlier. NYG was .750 when they scored 35+ points, KC was .500, and DAL was .333 LMAO

The rest of the league was undefeated when scoring 35+ points.

This does make me think... a game that had a final score of 10-7 would be called a defensive struggle, but a game that ended 27-7 would not be, while the winning defense performed the same in each. I might spend some time comparing the losing scores across several years to see if there's anything interesting there.

Bugeater 08-20-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10832599)
People always talk mad shit on me when I say this but I don't see how it isn't true.

The game isn't the most important thing to the NFL.

The most important thing is TV revenue...any of you bitching about the game to the NFL will just have to deal apparently. They don't give a shit.

WE SHOULD ALL JUST START WATCHING SOCCER AMIRITE?

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-20-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon Cheeseburger (Post 10835203)
WE SHOULD ALL JUST START WATCHING SOCCER AMIRITE?

With each passing season and regime, I become more willing.