ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books COMIC BOOK PEOPLE (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277123)

Aries Walker 10-25-2013 05:40 AM

One of the big differences that Stan Lee put in place in Marvel's early days was that he wanted (at least semi-) logical reasons how people could fly, as opposed to just "he can fly". That's why Spider-Man swings from the webs, Hulk leaps, Iron Man has jet boots, and so on. They've strayed since, and there are plenty of characters that just 'fly', but that was an early conscious choice on Marvel's part.

Short answer: Not really.

beach tribe 10-26-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 10122220)
Direckshun because krypton had a heavier gravity s.uperman lighter and is able to fly.

Supposed to be denser atmosphere and a red sun.
Which is stupid I think.
I remember watching supes one a lil while back and the way Jar el described it. Superman would be super strong but he would weigh 2000 lbs.
He truly would be a man of steel. Or iron ore and very much as grounded as the hulk.

beach tribe 10-26-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10122077)
Can someone explain to me how flight is supposed to work?

Like, Superman. Has it ever been explained how he flies?

Is it all mind control?

Gotta stick ya fist out and lean wit swag into those turns

ThaVirus 10-26-2013 12:11 AM

Read Old Man Logan today while I was at the book store.

1. Wolverine is a badass.

2. What the hell was up with the inbred Hulks? ****ing weird.

Rausch 10-26-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 10120122)
Top 10 comics series, graphic novels, and limited series

10.Uncanny Xmen
9.Akira
8.Spectacular Spiderman
7.Captain America
6.The Power of Iron Man (GN) AKA Demon in a bottle
5.The Chronicles of King Conan
4.Kitty Pryde and Wolverine
3.Lone Wolf and Cub
2.Groo The Wanderer
1.Savage Sword of Conan

There's a lot of guilty pleasure comix out there without supes in them.

Back in the day I'd break up the Supes/X books with:

1) HATE
2) Ralph Snart
3) The Nam
4) Johnny (NNY) The Homicidal Maniac
5) Strangers In Paradise

Fishpicker 10-26-2013 07:25 AM

I forgot about The 'Nam. That was a great book

icepick64 10-26-2013 06:32 PM

just started reading the new infinity series from marvel, and I will have to say, it is damn good.

Here is a quick tip too. Anyone who likes their old comic books and would like to frame them: Go to the dollar tree and get a "certificate frame", only $1, and fits a comic book perfectly, and the covers look great in my man cave.

Psyko Tek 10-26-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10122077)
Can someone explain to me how flight is supposed to work?

Like, Superman. Has it ever been explained how he flies?

Is it all mind control?

because **** physics

Rausch 10-27-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icepick64 (Post 10125480)
just started reading the new infinity series from marvel, and I will have to say, it is damn good.

Here is a quick tip too. Anyone who likes their old comic books and would like to frame them: Go to the dollar tree and get a "certificate frame", only $1, and fits a comic book perfectly, and the covers look great in my man cave.

I just finished the Age of Ultron stuff and I was not impressed. Seemed like they went back to the AOA/Magneto as leader well and just put Ultron in there. Once again using time travel.

Not impressed at all.

DaveNull 10-27-2013 09:07 AM

I read Velvet and was impressed. Will read again.

Sex Criminals is also great. Similar kind of tone and humor as Hawkeye..and there is a tiny Hawkeye reference buried in issue 2.

Jerm 07-29-2014 12:42 PM

Bumping this...

Ok so I'm a complete and utter comic n00b but I took the plunge on the Marvel unlimited offer that's currently 99 cents for the first month with code...

I'd like to get into Spidey, Avengers, and X-Men to begin...what are the "essentials" or best editions that I need to start with?

Wish DC did something like this, I'd go head first into Batman.

DaveNull 07-29-2014 12:52 PM

Oh my.

- 2013 run of Guardians of the Galaxy (because Guardians is next week)
- Hawkeye
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Secret Wars
- Ultimates
- The entire Brubaker run of Captain America.

Avoid House of M and Civil War. Age of Ultron is kind of ridiculous and I wouldn't try to get through it before others.

Jerm 07-29-2014 01:05 PM

Awesome...thanks for the start!

Fishpicker 07-29-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10773510)
Bumping this...

Ok so I'm a complete and utter comic n00b but I took the plunge on the Marvel unlimited offer that's currently 99 cents for the first month with code...

I'd like to get into Spidey, Avengers, and X-Men to begin...what are the "essentials" or best editions that I need to start with?

Wish DC did something like this, I'd go head first into Batman.

I read through all of the Amazing Spider-Man(s) that were available on M.U. The best run is #28 through #48 IMO.

I really liked reading through Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man again too. #1 is one of my favorites. It introduces The Tarantula, one of the most bad ass villains.

scorpio 07-29-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10773533)
Oh my.

- 2013 run of Guardians of the Galaxy (because Guardians is next week)
- Hawkeye
- Infinity Gauntlet
- Secret Wars
- Ultimates
- The entire Brubaker run of Captain America.

Avoid House of M and Civil War. Age of Ultron is kind of ridiculous and I wouldn't try to get through it before others.

I would definitely not avoid House of M and Civil War, but maybe save them until after you are more familiar with the Avengers and X-Men characters. Those two stories set the stage for the following 10 (okay more like 6-8) years in the Marvel Universe.