ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: drafting Geno now? Almost as big a coup as getting Montana in 93 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270738)

BossChief 03-05-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9465971)
Apparently, neither did the Chiefs.

Here's another:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...ake-clubs-wary

5. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia. He's considered the best quarterback in a draft where there aren't elite quarterbacks, and while he put up big numbers last season he was far more successful the first half than he was the second. That could be a problem. So could value. No question, he will be drafted in the first round. But who makes the move and how soon? "What I feel good about," said one quarterbacks coach, "is that he's strong, smart and really determined. It looks like this means a lot to him, and I like that. In fact, I like it so much I went back to look at one more tape of him. I'd been concerned that he stands in the pocket and doesn't have a feel for when to move and cut his losses. So I wanted to see if I was wrong. Yet there were three times he got stuck in the pocket in that game. He's a first-round risk because if he doesn't work out he gets you fired. Which means there are two things that bother me: His feel within the pocket and my job security."

so, you are arguing that he ist a first round pick by posting an artie where he is the fifth rated player on the board and it states that he is early a first round pick.

Shit, man...if a quarterback is the fifth rated prospect overall and you need one, he has got to be the pick.

Got it.

Get some sleep.

Just Passin' By 03-05-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9465977)
Andy Reid already had McNabb and went out and drafted Kolb and then signed Vick....then traded McNabb and Kolb and gave Vick 100 million and still drafted Foles.

No way he goes into the season without another strong contender to start.

If we draft Geno at 1, we would still have less invested than the Redskins did with RG3 and Cousins.

McNabb was 31 and was coming off of 9 and 10 game seasons, and the backups from 2006 were 36 year old Garcia and AJ Feeley. If Reid hadn't gone out and addressed the QB spot, it would have been incompetence on his part.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9465980)
Just curious. Do you remember how you felt about Cam Newton at this point in the draft process in 2011?

Honestly, not really. I stopped posting for 18 months just about this time and I wasn't following it as closely because the Chiefs were picking in #23, IIRC. I did like Cam Newton and thought he was an amazing athlete. I remember Warren Moon really hyping the guy but that's about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9465980)
Well, Geno Smith has had his share of negative publicity, but I don't know of a single guy besides Mel Kiper who went out and said, "Don't draft any of these QBs in the first round, whatever you do. That includes Geno Smith."

The only problem I have is that that Geno Smith should benefit from a guy like Cam Newton, much like RGIII benefited from him, but he's not. People are very "ho-hum" on Smith and everything I've read says he did nothing to separate himself from the pack at the Combines (which is odd because Barkley was unable to throw).

All that aside, I find it remarkable that people would suggest the Chiefs take him at #1 overall after the Alex Smith draft in which the Chiefs have reported given up at least one pick, the #34 overall.

It just doesn't make any sense, especially considering this team is lacking a starting CB, safety, ILB, DE and depth everywhere.

mcaj22 03-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9465942)
Here's another way to look at it.

There's not really another corner out there on the market better than Sean Smith. Aqib Talib is more talented, but he's also a massive headcase.

There's a number of corners in the draft I'd prefer, but none of them will last until our picks in the 3rd round.

What's your alternative to Sean Smith?

Sean Smith is a headcase just like Talib and Talib is 100000x more talented

and yes there are guys way better than Sean Smith in FA, Brent Grimes,Talib, Chris Houston, Keenan Lewis, Pacman Jones, Bradley Fletcher, Greg Toler, even DRC and I'd take that awful turd Cary Williams over Sean Smith any day

BossChief 03-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9465981)
Quite honestly, I don't like anyone at #1 overall.

This is an awful draft in which to be choosing in the top 3 because you're likely to get the same amount of overall talent at #20 at you are at #1. That's what makes this draft so shitty.

My hope is that they can trade down several times, for whatever they can get, and accumulate some talent. Guys like Ertz, Eifert, Austin, Patterson, Milliner and even Mingo make sense later in the draft.

I'd hate to be Dorsey and Reid because as many have pointed out, trading down won't be easy. Someone is going to have to fall in love with a player and make a move. Otherwise, they'll be content to sit and wait.

Weak sauce cop out

Direckshun 03-05-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger (Post 9465983)
I thought he wasn't first round worthy by anyone?

Dane's argument, is that despite the fact that Geno Smith will be drafted in the 1st round, he is not 1st round talent.

He has watched tape of Geno and read some opinions from people he respects that he believes validate his point of view. Of course, when you point out that the rest of us have watched plenty of Geno and plenty more people have validated the "Geno is worth a 1st rounder" poitn of view, he says you didn't look hard enough, aren't smart enough, or aren't relying on connected-enough people for that point of view.

And if that all sounds arbitrary and nebulous, so as to dishonestly adjust at any given moment to evade rebuttal... that's because it is.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9465988)
so, you are arguing that he ist a first round pick by posting an artie where he is the fifth rated player on the board and it states that he is early a first round pick.

Shit, man...if a quarterback is the fifth rated prospect overall and you need one, he has got to be the pick.

Got it.

Get some sleep.

Oh my ****ing god.

He's not the fifth rated player, he's fifth biggest risk.

Here are five first-round prospects who should make clubs wary

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9465995)
Weak sauce cop out

**** you.

Learn how to read, too.

Direckshun 03-05-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9465993)
Sean Smith is a headcase just like Talib

Really? What's the scoop?

Mecca 03-05-2013 12:11 AM

This teams best bet is to take 50 cents on the dollar to recoup the picks they gave up for Smith plus whatever. I think I'd rather drop back and have Justin Hunter plus a QB even if it meant not getting "fair value" than taking Joeckel etc.

Mecca 03-05-2013 12:11 AM

I' ve always liked Sean Smith actually he has awesome agility for his size.

mcaj22 03-05-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9466000)
Really? What's the scoop?

ask a Dolphins fan

you dont think Joe Philbin is calling up his buddy Dorsey saying buyer beware?

really? If Sean Smith was as talented as you claim why hasnt Miami tried to keep a young 25 year old CB on their YOUNG team if he has all this potential/skillset to be coached up? Theres a reason hes hitting the market and its not because Scooter is pulling a "Im too stupid to keep Brandon Carr" he's not Brandon Carr, he's terrible.

RunKC 03-05-2013 12:13 AM

I can't wait until the first night of the draft when we don't draft Geno so we don't have to hear about this Geno greatness bullshit.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some people on here will root for Geno Smith to succeed on a different team next year instead of Alex Smith.

Direckshun 03-05-2013 12:13 AM

Hey Mecca. Welcome back.

What's your take on Geno, in a nutshell, if you have one?

BossChief 03-05-2013 12:13 AM

Mecca, would you rather take Geno or trade down?

Disclaimer: you can't take Barkley.