ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc I don't want to panic anyone, but Ebola may be coming to a town near you (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285305)

kepp 08-05-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10795324)
Heard it's confirmed ebola

The guy at Mount Sinai Hospital?

TimBone 08-05-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10795324)
Heard it's confirmed ebola

Link? I can't find anything saying that.

Donger 08-05-2014 10:36 AM

Now a woman in Ohio who was recently in one of the hotspot countries is being tested for Ebola.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/26201803/4...possible-ebola

Eleazar 08-05-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10795411)
Link? I can't find anything saying that.

Overheard that at work from someone who should know or receive some kind of notification. Can't vouch for the veracity of it.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2014 10:43 AM

Africa should be on lockdown.

only medical personnel in/out of the country and when coming out there has to be a quarantine time to make sure they aren't sick.

Donger 08-05-2014 10:46 AM

British Airways has suspended flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia.

petegz28 08-05-2014 12:15 PM

I am so glad we let these people back into our country. I mean, nothing like spreading a disease that until a few weeks ago, wasn't within our borders.

Edit: Wait, I forgot...we don't have borders anymore.

Fish 08-05-2014 12:30 PM

Good grief, people.....

Quote:

Should I be worried?

Though many in the developed world are understandably fearful of the disease, many health officials claim that the only reason this particular outbreak has grown as large as it has is because of where it hit. The areas that have been hit the hardest lack sufficient health care systems and are unable to provide necessary treatment for the patients or personal protective equipment for health care workers. Unsanitary conditions would allow the outbreak to grow incredibly rapidly.

For those living in developed countries, such as the US, it is not likely that the virus will spread. CDC Director Thomas Frieden has said that there is not the potential for Ebola to spread throughout the US like it has in West Africa. The virus can only be transmitted when someone is sick, and all major ports of entry have received quarantine stations to find travelers who may be ill. However, the CDC has issued a Level 3 travel warning to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone to prevent exposure. Even if it did manage to get across the Atlantic, it requires very unsanitary conditions to spread. It's very unlikely that ebola will ever spread in a developed country.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...eFk0qY9XPPo.99

Donger 08-05-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10795813)
Good grief, people.....

Yes, it's good to live in the first world.

kepp 08-05-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Good grief, people.....

The CDC can't even prevent their own people from being exposed to the pathogens they work with, and they want us to believe they have this under control? It was a bad idea to, 1) bring the two infected Americans back here, and, 2) to not create travel restrictions soon after the outbreak started.

petegz28 08-05-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Good grief, people.....

Quote:

The virus can only be transmitted when someone is sick

Yeah, no one gets sick in the U.S.....evah!

Fish 08-05-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 10795832)
The CDC can't even prevent their own people from being exposed to the pathogens they work with, and they want us to believe they have this under control? It was a bad idea to, 1) bring the two infected Americans back here, and, 2) to not create travel restrictions soon after the outbreak started.

That's not true. The CDC has never had any of its workers infected by Ebola that I know of. The two US citizens were humanitarian workers, not CDC employees. They accepted the risks when they went to Africa on humanitarian missions, where conditions actually allow Ebola to be transmitted.

They absolutely have it under control.

And it's not like we don't have the Ebola virus in the US. It's been safely studied at infectious disease centers in the US since its discovery.

DaFace 08-05-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10795861)
That's not true. The CDC has never had any of its workers infected by Ebola that I know of. The two US citizens were humanitarian workers, not CDC employees. They accepted the risks when they went to Africa on humanitarian missions, where conditions actually allow Ebola to be transmitted.

And it's not like we don't have the Ebola virus in the US. It's been safely studied at infectious disease centers in the US since its discovery.

Americans are a bunch of sensationalist pussies.

kepp 08-05-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10795861)

I'm talking about all the recent news about CDC staff being exposed to Anthrax, and the bird flu samples found in an unsecured storage closet, etc.

DaFace 08-05-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 10795883)
I'm talking about all the recent news about CDC staff being exposed to Anthrax, and the bird flu samples found in an unsecured storage closet, etc.

Those caused outbreaks, right?