ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

duncan_idaho 12-03-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9177196)
Joker was hired on at Florida.

As a WR coach.

Wouldn't preclude him from coming to Mizzou as the OC. Much higher paying and prestige job.

Mosbonian 12-03-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9177239)
As a WR coach.

Wouldn't preclude him from coming to Mizzou as the OC. Much higher paying and prestige job.

I guess I watched Joker too much over the last couple of years to consider him a good candidate for OC.

warpaint* 12-03-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 9175720)
It has been confrimed by the University. Yost completely gone from the football program.

Fantastic news!

warpaint* 12-03-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9176922)
Post-Dispatch thinks Jim Chaney from Tennessee.

I like the offense he ran at UT. Sounds good to me.

petegz28 12-04-2012 08:14 AM

Finally that gimick offense will go away!

duncan_idaho 12-04-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9179333)
Finally that gimick offense will go away!

Be careful what you wish for...

In my view, the spread is Missouri's best long-term offensive option. It's also beyond the point where you can call it a gimmick offense, considering that several national title winners have done so running the spread (Auburn, Florida x 2), the success Oregon has with it, etc.

Missouri is going to have a hard time recruiting the pure OL talent and depth needed to run the pro-style offense effectively. And yes, the OL was bad this season, but it was a strange, injury-riddled season.

And anyway...

Tony Franklin, Jim Chaney and Joker Phillips are probably the three leading (and most likely, IMO) candidates.

Franklin is one of the originators of the modern spread, going back to his days at Kentucky with Hal Mumme. He would definitely run the spread.

Phillips has a lot of spread experience as well, and - while he was a bad HC, as mosbonian points out - he was a very successful OC. Again, at Kentucky. His offense would have some pro-style elements but be heavily spread-oriented.

Chaney ran a pro-style offense at Tennessee, but a few things to remember on him:

1) His pro-style O at Tenn was WORSE at running the football than Missouri's spread
2) He has spread roots, going back to Joe Tiller and basketball on grass at Purdue.

I'm fine with an OC who wants to include some more traditional elements in the offense and be a little more multiple. But I don't believe Missouri can succeed running a true pro-style offense as its primary set. There's just not enough local, high quality OL talent to do that consistently.

Stanley Nickels 12-04-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9179382)
Tony Franklin, Jim Chaney and Joker Phillips are probably the three leading (and most likely, IMO) candidates.

Joker Phillips just took a job with UF as WR coach and recruiting coordinator.

siberian khatru 12-04-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

In my view, the spread is Missouri's best long-term offensive option. It's also beyond the point where you can call it a gimmick offense, considering that several national title winners have done so running the spread (Auburn, Florida x 2), the success Oregon has with it, etc.

Missouri is going to have a hard time recruiting the pure OL talent and depth needed to run the pro-style offense effectively. And yes, the OL was bad this season, but it was a strange, injury-riddled season.

And anyway...

Franklin is one of the originators of the modern spread, going back to his days at Kentucky with Hal Mumme. He would definitely run the spread.

Phillips has a lot of spread experience as well, and - while he was a bad HC, as mosbonian points out - he was a very successful OC. Again, at Kentucky. His offense would have some pro-style elements but be heavily spread-oriented.

Chaney ran a pro-style offense at Tennessee, but a few things to remember on him:

1) His pro-style O at Tenn was WORSE at running the football than Missouri's spread
2) He has spread roots, going back to Joe Tiller and basketball on grass at Purdue.

I'm fine with an OC who wants to include some more traditional elements in the offense and be a little more multiple. But I don't believe Missouri can succeed running a true pro-style offense as its primary set. There's just not enough local, high quality OL talent to do that consistently.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if Pinkel promotes Hill or Henson.

siberian khatru 12-04-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9179504)
Joker Phillips just took a job with UF as WR coach and recruiting coordinator.

Read down the thread for Duncan's thoughts.

Stanley Nickels 12-04-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

I think we've reached the point where the spread no longer has the ability to "even the odds" against more talented teams, as most defensive schemes now expect the spread, and can "bend but not break" to mitigate the damage and capitalize on mistakes.

Look at the teams you mentioned who have had tremendous success with the spread... it's all about talent. It doesn't much matter what your offensive philosophy is, it's whether you can recruit and sign the prototypical players for that offense. That is, and will be, the way Missouri butters its bread. We've got to get a top-notch recruiter on this staff.

duncan_idaho 12-04-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9179516)
I think we've reached the point where the spread no longer has the ability to "even the odds" against more talented teams, as most defensive schemes now expect the spread, and can "bend but not break" to mitigate the damage and capitalize on mistakes.

Look at the teams you mentioned who have had tremendous success with the spread... it's all about talent. It doesn't much matter what your offensive philosophy is, it's whether you can recruit and sign the prototypical players for that offense. That is, and will be, the way Missouri butters its bread. We've got to get a top-notch recruiter on this staff.

I'm thinking about offensive line talent, specifically.

Oregon's OL talent has been very similar to Mizzou's throughout this run, but that offense works because of the tremendous skill players (and the great approach of the coaching staff).

I don't think Missouri can/will recruit the OL well enough to run a pro-style scheme over the long haul. That's why I prefer the spread, which focuses on getting the ball out quickly, keeping the defense out of the box, running using zone blocking schemes, etc.

All things that neutralize a disadvantage in OL vs. Front 7 (which Missouri is going to have, a ton, in the SEC).

Stanley Nickels 12-04-2012 08:32 PM

Missouri lost a couple huge commits in Andy Bauer (2014 OT) (at the beginning of the year), and 2013 OT Jake Campos (this past weekend), who would've been huge for our OL play. We really need to step up our battle for the trenches talent.

duncan_idaho 12-09-2012 10:52 AM

Updated with two commits from weekend (DEs Marcus Loud and Dimarya Mixon), key recruits.

duncan_idaho 12-09-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9181366)
Missouri lost a couple huge commits in Andy Bauer (2014 OT) (at the beginning of the year), and 2013 OT Jake Campos (this past weekend), who would've been huge for our OL play. We really need to step up our battle for the trenches talent.

The book isn't closed on Bauer. He's getting a lot of attention from big schools and is really interested in that, but apparently distance from family is a very large concern.

Campos, though? He gone. The Iowa State roots sucked him back in.

DJ's left nut 12-09-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9191164)
Updated with two commits from weekend (DEs Marcus Loud and Dimarya Mixon), key recruits.

Oh great - back to 2005.

3-star recruits can't be 'key recruits' anymore. We've lost literally every single bit of momentum from the SEC move. We're right back to classes full of leftovers in Texas and 3-star recruits.

Nicely done, fellas. Really nicely !@#$ing done. And hey, lets see if you can wait 3 or 4 months before hiring an OC, because that's going to also help matters a great deal.

I don't even like opening this thread anymore.