ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Reaper16 04-19-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6687318)
How is Committed? I liked EPL fairly well, though I enjoyed it more while I was reading it than I did in retrospect. Certain sections I enjoyed, but I was pretty tired of her by the end of the book.

The Chinese food book sounds good. I'm still cranking through the Oxford American food issue and enjoying it. Also been rereading Carver's Cathedral for discussion with my writing class.

I'm only 100 pages into Committed. It is nowhere near the same level of quality. I'm only reading it out of, erm, commitment to Gilbert (who I find to be a lovely writer).

I've had the food issue of OA for over a month now but I haven't started it yet. I've got some books to read before I'll get into it (those books being the aforementioned Shark's Fin & Sichuan Pepper, The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People who Read Them by Elif Batuman, and Steve Almond's new nonfiction book, Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life: A Book By and For the Fanatics Among us (with Bitchin' Soundtrack).)

Ah, Carver. Such a master.

irishjayhawk 04-19-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6687269)
I read The Art of Racing in a single 3 hour sitting, and I'll admit it made me cry. First book ever to do so.

Amazingly, it didn't.

I've had a few books get me.

So what is this about Infinite Jest? It's like the only internet cult I don't belong to.

LetsSignRussell 04-19-2010 09:32 PM

Hamlet

blaise 04-19-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsplanet21 (Post 6687614)
Hamlet

I didn't enjoy Hamlet. I know it's genius and all that, but it's no fun for me to read it. Aside from being assigned Shakespeare I wouldn't read it. That's a fault of mine and not his, I'm sure.

Ming the Merciless 04-19-2010 09:42 PM

The Castle by Kafka is what I am reading when I have time for fiction....

Haven't had time to finish it, am about half way through.

Reaper16 04-19-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6687610)

So what is this about Infinite Jest? It's like the only internet cult I don't belong to.

The novel is huge. Massive in size. But its by the late David Foster Wallace, which makes it worth reading because DFW was a genius.

irishjayhawk 04-19-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6687652)
The novel is huge. Massive in size. But its by the late David Foster Wallace, which makes it worth reading because DFW was a genius.

What is it about DFW that makes him an internet cult god?

Reaper16 04-19-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6687658)

Is he an internet cult god? I just know that he's one of the more important American writers of the last 50 years. He's a stellar talent. His nonfiction has been tremendously influential on my writing.

NewChief 04-20-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6687658)

Read the following essays from him for a taste of why he's so kickass:

"Shipping Out: On the (nearly lethal) comforts of a luxury cruise"

"Ticket to the Fair"

Great Expectations 05-06-2010 11:32 AM

Can anyone reccommend a WWII book about the Air Force in the China/Burma/India Theater? A memoir would be perfect.

CoMoChief 05-06-2010 11:35 AM

Just finished, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"

GREAT read.

NewChief 05-06-2010 11:38 AM

Read:
Daniel Pink's Drive
Big Brother and the National Reading Curriculum edited by Richard Allington
The Oxford American Food Issue
Pinnochio Vampire Slayer (awesome little graphic novel)

Currently reading:
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

jidar 05-06-2010 11:39 AM

Just finished
Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

it.
was.
awesome.

Anyone with any interest in fantasy should read this series.

The Franchise 05-06-2010 11:39 AM

Currently reading:

Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

Reaper16 05-06-2010 11:52 AM

Everyone who loves music should read Steve Almond's new book of creative nonfiction, Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life.