ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265934)

Hammock Parties 07-07-2013 08:44 PM

Looking through a collection of behind the scenes photos.

http://imgur.com/a/0RmF7

God, Carrie Fisher. LMAO

http://i.imgur.com/upkzT0O.jpg

Hammock Parties 07-09-2013 10:57 AM

looks like novels with old ass luke/han/leia are already popping up

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...26065128_n.jpg

InChiefsHeaven 07-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9800724)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...26065128_n.jpg

Luke looks the same...but he looked pretty bad by the time Return of the Jedi came out...so...

keg in kc 07-09-2013 12:45 PM

Analysts are already predicting a 1.2 billion global take for ep 7.
Quote:

Why Marvel, Pixar and ‘Star Wars’ Will Ease Disney’s ‘Lone Ranger’ Pain

July 8, 2013 | 12:21PM PT

Success of new superhero, animated and "Star Wars" films will help boost performance of studio's slate for years to come

Marc Graser
Senior Writer, Variety @marcgraser

Given the disappointing performance of “The Lone Ranger,” Disney will be forced to write off the Jerry Bruckheimer Western as a loss. Some analysts are saying the writedown could be as high as $190 million, but just how much has yet to be determined.

But Disney isn’t shaking in its cowboy boots. Neither is Wall Street: Analysts and shareholders rallied around the Mouse House on Monday.

The stock was up over 84 cents or 1.3% during mid-day trading to $64.66, as Disney observers pointed to the success of Marvel’s “Iron Man 3,” (which earned $1.2 billion worldwide) and Pixar’s “Monsters University” (at around $401 million so far), as big hits for the studio that will help offset the bruises left at the box office by “Lone Ranger.” Disney ends is fiscal year in September.

And then there’s “Star Wars.”

Credit Suisse’s Michael Senno expects Disney to generate around $733 million in profits from the seventh “Star Wars,” out in summer 2015. Film is expected to generate around $1.2 billion in global theatrical receipts, and more from consumer products and other revenue, Senno said. As a result, Senno set a new target price of $74 for Disney’s stock to eventually reach, helping boost shares on Monday.

“The “Star Wars” franchise should drive strong profit growth and mitigate risk at the studio with fewer risky high budget films,” Senno said.

Before the July 4th weekend ended, Cohen & Co.’s Doug Creutz predicted “Lone Ranger” would cost Disney $100 million in a writedown. B. Riley’s David Miller agreed on the $100 million number, saying the film’s performance was a “massive disappointment.”

On Monday, after the film earned just $48.9 million over its first five days of release in North America, Lazard Capital’s Barton Crockett said the writeoff could be even steeper, at around $190 million, up from the $113 million he had originally expected. Credit Suisse’s Senno also chimed in, also predicting a $100 million loss.

Disney wrote off $200 million in 2011, when “John Carter” failed to find an audience in megaplexes. The film, which also carried a steep pricetag of around $200 million, went on to earn $283 million during its theatrical run.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9801052)
Analysts are already predicting a 1.2 billion global take for ep 7.

If its actually "good", it'll rival Avatar and probably beat it.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9800724)

Well, someone knows the outline and details to Episode VII

Buehler445 07-09-2013 03:35 PM

I obviously don't understand movie accounting. If John Carter cost 200M and brought in 283M in receipts, how did Disney write off 200M? Are they accruing sales or something?

keg in kc 07-09-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9801395)
If its actually "good", it'll rival Avatar and probably beat it.

Agree completely.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9801403)
I obviously don't understand movie accounting. If John Carter cost 200M and brought in 283M in receipts, how did Disney write off 200M? Are they accruing sales or something?

What's not factored in the raw box office receipts is marketing and exhibitor fees. Movie theaters can take up to 30% of the overall take. Marketing can easily surpass $100 million.

Disney spent $175 million marketing "The Lone Ranger", so they've spent more than $400 million on a film that will never earn enough to break even.

The dirty little secret is that the studios *need* huge box office failures in order to pay less in taxes and avoid contract escalators.

Buehler445 07-09-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9801417)
What's not factored in the raw box office receipts is marketing and exhibitor fees. Movie theaters can take up to 30% of the overall take. Marketing can easily surpass $100 million.

Disney spent $175 million marketing "The Lone Ranger", so they've spent more than $400 million on a film that will never earn enough to break even.

The dirty little secret is that the studios *need* huge box office failures in order to pay less in taxes and avoid contract escalators.

I figured there were some unlisted expenses. I wouldn't say "need", I might say there are some offsetting benefits to losers that allow them to take risks.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9801423)
I figured there were some unlisted expenses. I wouldn't say "need", I might say there are some offsetting benefits to losers that allow them to take risks.

Dude, as someone who worked with studio accountants for more than a decade, they most definitely "need" it.

I've shared a few stories over the years about how Uni, Paramount and Disney have made huge grossing films into "losers" but I have dozens more.

Setsuna 07-09-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9801482)
Dude, as someone who worked with studio accountants for more than a decade, they most definitely "need" it.

I've shared a few stories over the years about how Uni, Paramount and Disney have made huge grossing films into "losers" but I have dozens more.

You're going to be visited by strange men very soon. Don't open the door.

Buehler445 07-09-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9801482)

Creative accounting is one thing, but I seriously doubt any company makes known losers. Hell even at a 90% tax rate, it still pays to make the most money possible.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9801487)
You're going to be visited by strange men very soon. Don't open the door.

And they've most likely worked for me or I for them.

Nothing the studios have done would be deemed "illegal" accounting. We were held to G.A.A.P. standards and one of our CFO's constantly preached to go beyond G.A.A.P.

DaneMcCloud 07-09-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9801495)
Creative accounting is one thing, but I seriously doubt any company makes known losers. Hell even at a 90% tax rate, it still pays to make the most money possible.

Dude, please.

Anyone that works in this town will tell you the same exact thing, whether they're a director, a gaffer, an accountant or work in marketing.

I'm actually familiar with the details, as having been a part of some of those deals.