ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012-2013 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265263)

Chiefs Pantalones 03-25-2013 10:34 PM

@RockChalkBlog: Just want to point out that KU women's basketball is 4-1 in the last two years in NCAA tournament. Kim English was 4-4 all time.

Prison Bitch 03-25-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9529677)
Nate Silver puts it at 4.5%. It's dropped since the start of the tournament with KU's poor play in the first game and the fact that Florida and Louisville rolling along (and with Florida getting to play FGCU).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...cket.html?_r=0

They both beat garbage opponents. I think it's beyond stupid for him to actually find any value in beating NW State.

saphojunkie 03-25-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9529769)
They both beat garbage opponents. I think it's beyond stupid for him to actually find any value in beating NW State.

Predicting elections is in no way comparable to predicting sports.

KC_Connection 03-25-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9529769)

That blowout win didn't change much of anything. Florida's better odds are mostly a product of having an easy game for the S16 and being a superior team according to the per-possession, advanced stats over a full year than KU and nearly everyone else.

KC_Connection 03-25-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9529772)
Predicting elections is in no way comparable to predicting sports.

Unlike the election, sports are quite unpredictable (particularly the NCAA tournament which is a huge crapshoot, as his odds actually attest). But his methods are pretty sound in both cases.

saphojunkie 03-26-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9529778)
Unlike the election, sports are quite unpredictable (particularly the NCAA tournament which is a huge crapshoot, as his odds actually attest). But his methods are pretty sound in both cases.

Did he predict FGCU?

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9529804)
Did he predict FGCU?

He doesn't predict games, nor does his system. It presents probabilities.

Lzen 03-26-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9529717)
@RockChalkBlog: Just want to point out that KU women's basketball is 4-1 in the last two years in NCAA tournament. Kim English was 4-4 all time.

Nice. :thumb:

Prison Bitch 03-26-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9529778)

Again, i dont' see what's so impressive. He said KU was still a dog to Carolina last year even without Kendall Marshall playing for Carolina. Vegas said otherwise. Vegas was correct, like they nearly always are.

I could take Sagarin, Pomeroy, Accuscore, and all sorts of predictors out there and come up with a "secret formula" to determine our odds. What is Silver doing that's so "sound" in terms of methodology?

Imon Yourside 03-26-2013 08:24 AM

According to today's edition of the LJ world's KU sports section, the UNC fan crying/cringing is the son of former KU football coach Terry Allen.

Lzen 03-26-2013 08:54 AM

Five plays that show how Releford shut down Bullock

Five plays that show how Releford shut down Bullock — and how KU's 'D' forced UNC into 'one bad shot'

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/new...avis-releford/

This is a great break down. Gives some great insight into how KU's defense works and why it is so stifling.

Mr. Laz 03-26-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9530008)
According to today's edition of the LJ world's KU sports section, the UNC fan crying/cringing is the son of former KU football coach Terry Allen.

i don't think he was crying.

I saw it during the game and i think he was giving one of those 'nasty dunk' faces after Withey did his long jump dunk and the guy jumped out of the way.

Shagworthy 03-26-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9530314)

I saw it during the game and i think he was giving one of those 'nasty dunk' faces after Withey did his long jump dunk and the guy jumped out of the way.

It was during Withey's block on the perimeter late in the game.

teedubya 03-26-2013 11:27 AM

http://www.themiraclesmovie.com/ The Trailer for the 1988 Jayhawks championship season documentary.

Bearcat 03-26-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9530314)

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-conte...CRYING-UNC.gif

Mr. Laz 03-26-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shagworthy (Post 9530319)
It was during Withey's block on the perimeter late in the game.

yea, i think you're right.

Brock 03-26-2013 11:39 AM

If that isn't a cry, I'm not sure what it is.

Al Czervik 03-26-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9530456)
http://www.themiraclesmovie.com/ The Trailer for the 1988 Jayhawks championship season documentary.

Thanks...that is awesome...looks like it is on tonight!!!

RealSNR 03-26-2013 11:50 AM

What do people think of Releford's chances at playing in the NBA? He might not be selected in the draft, but does anyone else think he has a shot at sticking around in the D League for awhile? Maybe playing in Europe?

shitgoose 03-26-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9530536)
What do people think of Releford's chances at playing in the NBA? He might not be selected in the draft, but does anyone else think he has a shot at sticking around in the D League for awhile? Maybe playing in Europe?

Hell Brady Morningstar plays in the D league for the Tulsa 66ers. Releford could drafted in this draft. I think he would definitely get invited to some pre draft camps

noa 03-26-2013 12:07 PM

Releford is great at finishing on a drive against college players. Hardly anyone ever stops him when its a 1 on 1 fast break. I'm not sure that would hold true in the NBA, where guys are bigger, faster, and more confident than some of the college defenders he faces.

Lzen 03-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9530456)

I posted the link to the full youtube vid a few weeks ago. Don't know if it's still there and CP search seems to still be messed up right now. I'm sure the post is just a few pages back.

Demonpenz 03-26-2013 01:08 PM

relaford may be a player in the nba because he is 6-6 and could guard several positions.

Buehler445 03-26-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping he gets to play. Seems like a decent enough kid and I love the way he plays. Before this year, I'd have said no, but now I think he has a shot. He has picked up his shooting and is really able to finish around the rim much better than he did last year.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-26-2013 01:36 PM

Nobody is picking KU from what I've seen and heard so far. All Michigan.

Imon Yourside 03-26-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9530805)
Nobody is picking KU from what I've seen and heard so far. All Michigan.

Yup, pretty much...This should be some good BB material, and help us come out on fire.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-26-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9530811)
Yup, pretty much...This should be some good BB material, and help us come out on fire.

Hopefully we come out with the intensity, focus and energy that we had in the second half Sunday.

Imon Yourside 03-26-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9530837)
Hopefully we come out with the intensity, focus and energy that we had in the second half Sunday.

I think we thrive in the underdog role, even if vegas does have us favored.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-26-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9530840)
I think we thrive in the underdog role, even if vegas does have us favored.

Yeah those Vegas numbers mean shit. Just watch TV and the players will see we're the true underdog.

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9530001)
Again, i dont' see what's so impressive. He said KU was still a dog to Carolina last year even without Kendall Marshall playing for Carolina. Vegas said otherwise. Vegas was correct, like they nearly always are.

He didn't say anything. His system did. And while I don't remember the specifics of the situation that you're referring to, I'm guessing that the system didn't account for Marshall's absence and just looked at how both teams had played all season. At that point, yeah, a bit of common sense is needed. UNC was obviously going to be worse without their starting PG. There is no such situation in the KU/Michigan game, though.

Buehler445 03-26-2013 02:05 PM

So did Roy get booed in KC? My mom said she read somewhere he got heavily booed.

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Unlikely to make the NBA. He's old (23) for a prospect, so the thinking will be that he doesn't have much unfulfilled potential. Also doesn't create his own shot and isn't a good enough spot up shooter either to get a job that way. Pro ball in Europe or the D-League is more likely.

teedubya 03-26-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9530885)
So did Roy get booed in KC? My mom said she read somewhere he got heavily booed.

It was a mild boo. So, yes.

Bambi 03-26-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9530473)

Hard to believe this isn't staged.

Bearcat 03-26-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9530914)
It was a mild boo. So, yes.

I thought it was pretty loud, followed by some LOLs.

Ceej 03-26-2013 03:12 PM

CBS' "expert" picks.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...t/expert-picks

I'm really surprised 3/4 are picking Marquette over the U.

2/4 picking Oregon over L'Ville.

3/4 picking Zona over tOSU.

And all four are picking Michigan over KU.

Mr. Plow 03-26-2013 03:27 PM

What's the reasoning behind everyone picking UM over KU?

ReynardMuldrake 03-26-2013 03:41 PM

Wichita St./La Salle is going to be fun to watch. Two teams with nothing to lose.

RealSNR 03-26-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9531068)

I assume because they won their first two tournament games in a far more impressive fashion.

Realistically, I guess I can't blame them. The tournament doesn't give a shit what you were playing like in December and January, whether it was good or bad. And when you get to this stage, it doesn't even care how well you were playing in your conference tournament.

But that's still horseshit. A clean sweep of Michigan over KU? 2-2 or 3-1, maybe, but that's just asinine.

This KU team seems to be at its best with its back to the wall. I hope Self finds some bulletin board material to use in practice. We need to play relaxed and confident, but also with passion and inspiration.

RealSNR 03-26-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake (Post 9531104)
Wichita St./La Salle is going to be fun to watch. Two teams with nothing to lose.

Nah. When you get to the Sweet Sixteen you have EVERYTHING to lose. Does no good to raise eyebrows and then disappoint people as soon as they take notice.

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9531018)
CBS' "expert" picks.

lol, experts

ReynardMuldrake 03-26-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9531116)
Nah. When you get to the Sweet Sixteen you have EVERYTHING to lose. Does no good to raise eyebrows and then disappoint people as soon as they take notice.

Neither team was expected to get this far. The pressure is off when you're playing with house money.

sedated 03-26-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9531068)

From what I hear, Gottlieb had some good reasoning behind his pick of Michigan. Their offensive style is ball screens with McGary, so Withey will have to play away from the basket. And of course the guard advantage. Said the teams that can exploit Michigan are teams with a great 4, which KU does not have.

Ceej 03-26-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9531119)
lol, experts

Hence the quotations.

I don't think any of them had a .500 percentage in their brackets.

Prison Bitch 03-26-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9531129)
From what I hear, Gottlieb had some good reasoning behind his pick of Michigan. Their offensive style is ball screens with McGary, so Withey will have to play away from the basket. And of course the guard advantage. Said the teams that can exploit Michigan are teams with a great 4, which KU does not have.

Yeah, no. Heard this about both prior teams. Heard it last week too before we played ISU. And nothing ever changes: Jeff continues to dominate. There is no team in the history of basketball that can go an entire game without taking the ball to the hole on occasion, or posting up, or trying to stick-back an off rebound. And when they do....

Chiefs Pantalones 03-26-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9531018)
CBS' "expert" picks.

Wow 3/4 for Zona? We'll see. They've played Shawnee Mission North High School and Central High School so far in the tournament.

sedated 03-26-2013 04:01 PM

When they aren't jacking 3's, its my understanding that Michigan plays a Princeton style offense. Don't think we've seen that yet this year (at least from a quality team)

Bearcat 03-26-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9531114)
I assume because they won their first two tournament games in a far more impressive fashion.

Realistically, I guess I can't blame them. The tournament doesn't give a shit what you were playing like in December and January, whether it was good or bad. And when you get to this stage, it doesn't even care how well you were playing in your conference tournament.

But that's still horseshit. A clean sweep of Michigan over KU? 2-2 or 3-1, maybe, but that's just asinine.

This KU team seems to be at its best with its back to the wall. I hope Self finds some bulletin board material to use in practice. We need to play relaxed and confident, but also with passion and inspiration.

Yeah, it's crap... the media (and a lot of fans, I'm sure) fall into that trap every year. I remember everyone picking UNC over Kansas in the FF in 2008, mostly because Kansas barely beat Davidson... and people kept picking against Kansas last year because they were seemingly pulling wins out of their ass.

You would think they would eventually catch on that Self is pretty damn good at finding ways to win close games and finding ways to win when Kansas isn't shooting well or even playing well. And now he has several days to prepare for his next opponent, and will surely lose... :doh!:

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9531129)

McGary is no risk to shoot off those screens, though, so why would it even matter? Withey will just stay home on them and prevent Burke from getting to the basket with his length. I actually think it's quite a good matchup for KU, I've thought it would be all year.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-26-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9531166)
McGary is no risk to shoot off those screens, though, so why would it even matter? Withey will just stay home on them and prevent Burke from getting to the basket with his length. I actually think it's quite a good matchup for KU, I've thought it would be all year.

I forget which "expert" said this earlier in the year, maybe Greenberg, but he said our team is too big, fast, strong and smart for Michigan. He said we'd rough them up.

KC_Connection 03-26-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9531171)
I forget which "expert" said this earlier in the year, maybe Greenberg, but he said our team is too big, fast, strong and smart for Michigan. He said we'd rough them up.

That's oversimplifying it a bit. They have great athletes too. But I do think they are much "softer" than we are. If it turns into a grind as much of these tournament games do, KU has an advantage.

DJay23 03-26-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9530077)
Five plays that show how Releford shut down Bullock — and how KU's 'D' forced UNC into 'one bad shot'

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/new...avis-releford/

This is a great break down. Gives some great insight into how KU's defense works and why it is so stifling.

I read that last night and thought immediately about the Chiefsplaneteers who scream about "Terrible perimeter D!" When it's been explained that since a 3 is a low percentage shot for most teams, that's the "One bad shot" that KU wants to force you into.

Prison Bitch 03-27-2013 09:19 AM

Jack Harry calling for Michigan to win by 10.

Reerun_KC 03-27-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9532661)

Why is Gods name would you listen to him? He is the spokes person for the MU...

RealSNR 03-27-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Good. He's the CoMo of KC sports broadcasters

ReynardMuldrake 03-27-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

That's the kiss of death for Michigan then.

Al Czervik 03-27-2013 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL....Poor Jack....
The level of Butthurt from MuRONs is only exceeded by his pathetic
attempts to bring KU down. Thats....JackSmack!!!

Reerun_KC 03-27-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 9532705)
LOL....Poor Jack....
The level of Butthurt from MuRONs is only exceeded by his pathetic
attempts to bring KU down. Jack is the COMO version for predictions.

Thats....JackSmack!!!

Well being the voice of MU, its gotta sting watching him faceplant year in and out...

Prison Bitch 03-27-2013 09:43 AM

His article yesterday claims may become "a believer" if KU gets to the Final Four. Yep! That's all you have to do to convince Jack (and it's only a possibility at that) that you're good: go 33-5, win the conf and conf tourney, and advance to Atlanta.

That MAY impress him. But he's not sure just yet. After all, KU won 6 games at Sprint Center this year and that's 20% of their wins, and, and, and, and...

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-27-2013 09:50 AM

Jack is still alive?

color me surprised.

Al Czervik 03-27-2013 09:52 AM

My favorite Jack Smack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6obA8XEpA

He took idiocy to a new level with this one.....

Chiefs Pantalones 03-27-2013 09:59 AM

Only KU and Florida have won a NC in basketball and a BCS bowl game in the same year.

Lzen 03-27-2013 11:24 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4pVE2QySPKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

silver5liter 03-27-2013 11:43 AM

Its time for him to turn it on. I hope a change of scenery will help that. We have basically won these 2 games with Ben being a negative instead of a positive for this team.

Chief_For_Life58 03-27-2013 11:46 AM

^baller

Prison Bitch 03-27-2013 12:32 PM

Ben hasn't been a baller whatsoever lately. We're tired of waiting, Ben.

Baby Lee 03-27-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9531132)
Hence the quotations.

I don't think any of them had a .500 percentage in their brackets.

Geez, little ol' me sitting at 35-17 on the tourney, worst round being 2-2 on the play-in '1st round' with 6 of my elite 8 and all my final four remaining.

Biggest whiffs were SLU and Gonzaga.

Ceej 03-27-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9533210)
Geez, little ol' me sitting at 35-17 on the tourney, worst round being 2-2 on the play-in '1st round' with 6 of my elite 8 and all my final four remaining.

Biggest whiffs were SLU and Gonzaga.

I sure hope you're in some big money brackets!

Chiefs Pantalones 03-27-2013 06:11 PM

Shaka Smart loves him the small time. Turns down UCLA, signs extension with VCU.

Ceej 03-27-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9534004)
Shaka Smart loves him the small time. Turns down UCLA, signs extension with VCU.

Damn. That's nuts.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-27-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9534026)
Damn. That's nuts.

Spike Lee loves him because his name is cool.

DJay23 03-27-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9534004)

I get loyalty and all of that, but at some point you are passing up a completely different lifestyle for you and your family. Maybe he's happy where he is and doesn't need/want the money/big time coaching legacy. But damn, it seems like a big gamble. I wonder if there's some school that's his dream to coach at and he's waiting on that.

Bambi 03-27-2013 07:03 PM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...92379376_n.jpg

CoMoChief 03-27-2013 07:05 PM

10 yrs at VCU? Right there tells you he's not ready for the big time and pressure it takes to be the HC at a school like UCLA. He's thinking he can dominate in a smaller picture.

But whatever...I think he can recruit LA and make UCLA a damn good program again...but it looks like he's just a huge pussy. You don't coach basketball in the NCAA to end up at schools like VCU. JMO

CoMoChief 03-27-2013 07:07 PM

I think playing in football stadiums is just ****ing ignorant. I understand why (obvoiusly $$$) but as a fan going to the game, unless you pay out the ****ing ass you're going to get a horrible seat.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-27-2013 07:13 PM

@markwestern1: BMac yet to write his KU legacy. Lose this weekend & he'll be talked about fondly like Dru Gooden. Win a ship, Danny Manning level. #kubball

HonestChieffan 03-27-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9534107)
I wonder if there's some school that's his dream to coach at and he's waiting on that.

Nice troll for the Mizzou guys....

DJay23 03-27-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9534148)
Nice troll for the Mizzou guys....

Is he from Missouri or something?

chiefsfan987 03-27-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9534127)
10 yrs at VCU? Right there tells you he's not ready for the big time and pressure it takes to be the HC at a school like UCLA. He's thinking he can dominate in a smaller picture.

But whatever...I think he can recruit LA and make UCLA a damn good program again...but it looks like he's just a huge pussy. You don't coach basketball in the NCAA to end up at schools like VCU. JMO

or maybe he just likes the job security. At UCLA you can get fired for finishing first.

Bearcat 03-27-2013 07:44 PM

I went to the ACC tournament in the Georgia Dome a few years ago, and the seats weren't terrible, but the court was setup sideline to sideline in the endzone. It would be nice to see a view from your seat before buying tickets, because prices don't look that bad for the games in Dallas. There are some riser seats for less than $100/ea per game Friday and others for ~$300 for the session that might not be that bad... but, hard to tell from just the seating chart. I guess there's always the scoreboard that could power a small town, too.