ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Joplin virtually destroyed by tornado (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245402)

BigMeatballDave 05-23-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7659040)
He's not allowed to talk about it in this thread, so let's enforce the same rule for everyone else.

Gotcha.

However, in my defense, I was just making fun of him. :)

Marcellus 05-23-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659033)
Being from the area and now living where I do, this whole thing has made me incredibly sad for the people of Joplin. Two years ago, we dealt with something eerily similar when Parkersburg, IA was completely leveled. And now, it happens to Joplin.

The wonderful part was how everyone pitched in to help the people of Parkersburg. Now, people are doing the same for Joplin. It's a sad, sad story and yet the willingness of people to help out others in need provides hope.

I know it looks bad on TV and in picture, but growing up and living here, it is literally unrecognizable in a large portion of the town.

It is worse than it looks from a distance and I know it looks bad.

Not being melodramatic but trying to be honest.

The pics of the hospital (St. John's) that everyone has seen look bad. It looks like a hospital in a big open area that was hit by a tornado.

Thing is that's not a big open area, that was heavily populated with buildings etc...

There was a YMCA just west across from the hospital I have worked out at during my lunch break for probably close to 5 years that I think is gone.

It's hard to fathom.

DaFace 05-23-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7659048)
Gotcha.

However, in my defense, I was just making fun of him. :)

I know. I'm tempted to do the same, but it's the whole "attacking the defenseless" thing in a sense.

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7659049)
I know it looks bad on TV and in picture, but growing up and living here, it is literally unrecognizable in a large portion of the town.

The pics of the hospital (St. John's) that everyone has seen look bad. It looks like a hospital in a big open area that was hit by a tornado.

Thing is that's not a big open area, that was heavily populated with buildings etc...

There was a YMCA just west across from the hospital I have worked out at during my lunch break for probably close to 5 years that I think is gone.

It's hard to fathom.

Like I said, it looks a lot like Parkersburg, which was completely leveled.

BigMeatballDave 05-23-2011 08:48 PM

Why is that tornadoes occur in the US far more than anywhere else?

Marcellus 05-23-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659056)
Like I said, it looks a lot like Parkersburg, which was completely leveled.

How long ago was that?

CosmicPal 05-23-2011 08:49 PM

I for one believe we as a "planet" of should do something for those in Joplin: A Chiefsplanet fund? I've always believed that helping others is helping yourself and that you help simply because it does good and it feels good.

Shall we?

Captain Obvious 05-23-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7658995)
Anyone see that guy from the Weather channel reporting?

I think the video is at weather.com

He was choked up pretty much thru the entire video. Paused a few times. I would imagine that kind of destruction would be overwhelming.

Heck, I mist up just looking at pictures and videos. Can't even imagine seeing it first hand.

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7659060)
How long ago was that?

Two years ago or so. Through a LOT of hard work and community help, they've rebuilt. It's an incredible story.

Edit: There are many photos of Parkersburg after the tornado. Here is one example:

http://fly-iowa.com/Photos/Parkersbu...28Large%29.jpg

DaFace 05-23-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicPal (Post 7659061)
I for one believe we as a "planet" of should do something for those in Joplin: A Chiefsplanet fund? I've always believed that helping others is helping yourself and that you help simply because it does good and it feels good.

Shall we?

There are plenty of ways people can individually give to the efforts as a whole, but I'd pitch in if we had some specific purpose that would be different from just pooling our money and giving it to the red cross.

BigMeatballDave 05-23-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659064)
Two years ago or so. Through a LOT of hard work and community help, they've rebuilt. It's an incredible story.

Was that the town that was rebuilt 'Green'?

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7659067)

No, that was Greensburg, KS.

Parkersburg, IA is the tiny Iowa town that produced four current NFL players. Kampman, Wiegmann, Meester, & DeVries.

DaFace 05-23-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7659067)

Greensburg is the one that's gotten all the press about it anyway.

BigMeatballDave 05-23-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659070)

Ah, ok. Thanks.

CosmicPal 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7659065)
There are plenty of ways people can individually give to the efforts as a whole, but I'd pitch in if we had some specific purpose that would be different from just pooling our money and giving it to the red cross.

I plan on giving something individually- as soon as I decide upon the charity. I just thought it would be nice if we all did something as a pool as well- something that shows that we as Chiefs fans all care.

Dartgod 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7659057)

Ooh-ooh-ooooh!

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...9cf5f5fbdb1696

Dr. Johnny Fever 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7658995)
Anyone see that guy from the Weather channel reporting?

I think the video is at weather.com

He was choked up pretty much thru the entire video. Paused a few times. I would imagine that kind of destruction would be overwhelming.

Saw that, pretty powerful stuff.

DaFace 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_climatology

Quote:

The United States has the most tornadoes of any country, nearly four times more than estimated in all of Europe, excluding waterspouts. This is mostly due to the unique geography of the continent. North America is a large continent that extends from the tropics north into arctic areas, and has no major east-west mountain range to block air flow between these two areas. In the middle latitudes, where most tornadoes of the world occur, the Rocky Mountains block moisture and buckle the atmospheric flow, forcing drier air at mid-levels of the troposphere due to downsloped winds, and causing cyclogenesis downstream to the east of the mountains. Downsloped winds off the Rockies force the formation of a dry line when the flow aloft is strong, while the Gulf of Mexico fuels abundant low-level moisture. This unique topography allows for frequent collisions of warm and cold air, the conditions that breed strong, long-lived storms throughout the year. A large portion of these tornadoes form in an area of the central United States known as Tornado Alley. This area extends into Canada, particularly Ontario and the Prairie Provinces. Strong tornadoes also occur in northern Mexico.

Marcellus 05-23-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659064)

I can imagine it takes a ton of work and I am sure Joplin will get it done but at this point its hard to see.

Being a Sunday and during daylight may have made it little less impactful on human life as it could have been but I doubt it could have hit any worse of an area from a purely residential and business standpoint.

Joplin HS had graduation ceremonies at MSSC that started at 3:00 and let out around 6.

Thank goodness the don't do it at the HS anymore which is destroyed.

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7659082)
I can imagine it takes a ton of work and I am sure Joplin will get it done but at this point its hard to see.

Being a Sunday and during daylight may have made it little less impactful on human life as it could have been but I doubt it could have hit any worse of an area from a purely residential and business standpoint.

Joplin HS had graduation ceremonies at MSSC that started at 3:00 and let out around 6.

Joplin will rebuild/rebound. Zero doubt in my mind.

DaFace 05-23-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Without meaning to make light of the situation, can you imagine being one of the students in that class? You graduated, and immediately afterward, your school was destroyed.

LiveSteam 05-23-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

I asked this question earlier today. The answer I got
Warm humid golf air. Colliding with cold fronts from Canada. I guess their is no other place on earth, that mixes these two, like the USA does.

CaliforniaChief 05-23-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659086)

Amen. They'll get through this, and we'll help 'em as best as we can.

Marcellus 05-23-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Yea, sorry didn't mean to sound like it won't happen just saying right now, it's hard to fathom.

I have no doubt. The Mid -West is full of resilient people.

News is saying a policeman was struck by lightening directing traffic today and is in critical condition.:huh:

CaliforniaChief 05-23-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659070)

Parkersburg, IA is the tiny Iowa town that produced four current NFL players. Kampman, Wiegmann, Meester, & DeVries.

Parkersburg is also known for Ed Thomas, the high school coach that I believe coached all of those guys and then was murdered by one of his former players. For a little town, that place has really had ups and downs.

Not to divert attention from Joplin but just an interesting sidenote.

dj56dt58 05-23-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7659049)

It's hard to fathom.

The Y should be fine, its on 32nd right by Freeman so I dont think it was destroyed or anything

Marcellus 05-23-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 7659123)
The Y should be fine, its on 32nd right by Freeman so I dont think it was destroyed or anything

Somehow through all of this I got Freeman and St. John's mixed up, I tended to do that before this. Crazy.

Amazing what a difference a few blocks makes.

My friends parents were at McDonalds on the corner of 32nd and Maiden Lane through the whole thing.

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 7659109)
Parkersburg is also known for Ed Thomas, the high school coach that I believe coached all of those guys and then was murdered by one of his former players. For a little town, that place has really had ups and downs.

That happened not too long after the tornado. It was a tough time for those folks.

J Diddy 05-23-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yea, sorry didn't mean to sound like it won't happen just saying right now, it's hard to fathom.

I have no doubt. The Mid -West is full of resilient people.

News is saying a policeman was struck by lightening directing traffic today and is in critical condition.:huh:
From what I've heard two if them. Bless all these first responders. I was up til 7 searching houses and at about 3 an envoy of fire trucks and ambulances were pouring in, all from different points on the map. It is especially dangerous right know because everything is leveled. It's like searching for survivors on a golf course during a thunderstorm.

Rukdafaidas 05-23-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 7657983)
I am very close to my cousin.. We grew up together, I am sure that in 3-4 days it will all come crashing down for her and her moms side of the family...

I cant imagine what people of J-mo are dealing with... JMo means so much to my wife and I for so many different reasons. Its like someone ripped our hearts out.

I proposed to my wife at Pizza by Stout on Rangeline...

I live in Joplin. Our family is ok, but Pizza By Stout has been destroyed. It's located right off of 20th & Range Line Rd in front of Home Depot and that whole area was absolutely destroyed.

J Diddy 05-23-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 7659147)
I live in Joplin. Our family is ok, but Pizza By Stout has been destroyed. It's located right off of 20th & Range Line Rd in front of Home Depot and that whole area was absolutely destroyed.

Me too.how are you holding up?

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 7659147)

Not to make light of the situation, but that really sucks. Great place for a brew/pie.

J Diddy 05-23-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7659134)
Somehow through all of this I got Freeman and St. John's mixed up, I tended to do that before this. Crazy.

My friends parents were at McDonalds on the corner of 32nd and Maiden Lane through the whole thing.

My grandma was in the apartments 2 blocks away. Her house was unscathed.

Marcellus 05-23-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7659150)
Not to make light of the situation, but that really sucks. Great place for a brew/pie.

Yea that sucks. I went to PBS at least 2 times a month for pint and a half night. (Thursdays)

Had my wedding rehearsal dinner there in 1998.

My buddies 40th BD there last year.

Discuss Thrower 05-23-2011 09:50 PM

Found out today Southwest City, MO was hit by a small tornado / strong winds with the destruction of six homes on Sunday, and tonight Seneca, MO has begun to flood.

BossChief 05-23-2011 10:04 PM

As if Its not bad enough, they are saying there is a 50% chance of another tornado hitting tonight due to the current storm.

Simply Red 05-23-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7659202)
As if Its not bad enough, they are saying there is a 50% chance of another tornado hitting tonight due to the current storm.

That's odd - when did they start assigning actual percentages to tornadic probabilities? I have never heard them do that.

dj56dt58 05-23-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah just a few blocks past 7th its fine and right around Kings Palace theres damage then it just gets worse and worse but from what I understand everything 32nd and on is fine..I never made it further than around Home depot myself

Jenson71 05-23-2011 10:15 PM

I looked through only the last few pages, so I apologize if this was covered, but how is the guy's family that BigRedChief posted about?

DaFace 05-23-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7659232)
That's odd - when did they start assigning actual percentages to tornadic probabilities? I have never heard them do that.

Yeah, I'd buy "50% chances of severe thunderstorms", but 50% chance of an actual tornado would be some magical breakthrough in tornado prediction technology.

BossChief 05-23-2011 10:22 PM

CNN has made the 50% claim numerous times in the last hour

I thought it was odd as well, first I had heard of someone apointing a percentage to something like that

They also say a f4 is 166-200 mph and 200+ is a f5

J Diddy 05-23-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7659240)
I looked through only the last few pages, so I apologize if this was covered, but how is the guy's family that BigRedChief posted about?

Good

luv 05-23-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

One of the attorneys at work said he talked to a guy he knows that is a fireman over there. He said they went to the graduation, got done, and the sirens went off so they went to the fire department. Thanks to the graduation, their whole family was together. Lucky, beause some of their homes got destroyed, and they might have been home had they not gone to the graduation.

Simply Red 05-23-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7659261)

I thought it was odd as well, first I had heard of someone apointing a percentage to something like that

i see.

johnny961 05-23-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7659261)

I just checked out Accuweather's website. The way they are talking, yes, there's a good likelihood of Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and southern MO getting hammered by another round of severe storms and possibly tornadoes. Damn. As if these poor people haven't seen enough shit already.

Simply Red 05-23-2011 10:48 PM

is it bad again, currently - or coming? when is it arriving there? This sucks so bad.

KingPriest2 05-23-2011 10:49 PM

I went to MSSU from 91-96 was a Sigma Pi I worked at lowes from 95-96 My siseter lived in Joplin from 84-97 She worked at St Johns. My kids live in Joplin. My ex wife and I started Creative Kids Academy 1606 e 20th right near commerce bank Totally destroyed. I lived in Joplin from 98-00 and 05-08

I have several friends and fraternity brothers who still live in the area as well

I went down to Joplin today I took lots of water, took blankets and food.

They need hand sanatizers, tioletries, water, gloves, safety vests

I know they don't want people to self deploy but they do need it. The devastion is so widespread they don't have enough help to search and rescue. My friend his son and myself were helping people search and rescue people from homes today. THEY NEED HELP!!! If you are able to go down there tommorow please do so You can get around ONly the major roads are blocked off. The side roads are open

I plan on going back to Joplin with a group this weekend.

It is only a 3rd of the city not 75 percent. It is moslty between 15th and 26th street. west to east

The Y is safe and Northpark Mall is open Also both are shelters, taking blood and offering shild care.

BLOOD IS NEEDED

johnny961 05-23-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7659303)
is it bad again, currently - or coming? when is it arriving there? This sucks so bad.

From what I understand the severe weather is supposed to occcur Tuesday into Tuesday night. I don't think its here yet.

J Diddy 05-23-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2 (Post 7659305)
I went to MSSU from 91-96 was a Sigma Pi I worked at lowes from 95-96 My siseter lived in Joplin from 84-97 She worked at St Johns. My kids live in Joplin. My ex wife and I started Creative Kids Academy 1606 e 20th right near commerce bank Totally destroyed. I lived in Joplin from 98-00 and 05-08

I have several friends and fraternity brothers who still live in the area as well

I went down to Joplin today I took lots of water, took blankets and food.

They need hand sanatizers, tioletries, water, gloves, safety vests

I know they don't want people to self deploy but they do need it. The devastion is so widespread they don't have enough help to search and rescue. My friend his son and myself were helping people search and rescue people from homes today. THEY NEED HELP!!! If you are able to go down there tommorow please do so You can get around ONly the major roads are blocked off. The side roads are open

I plan on going back to Joplin with a group this weekend.

It is only a 3rd of the city not 75 percent. It is moslty between 15th and 26th street. west to east

The Y is safe and Northpark Mall is open Also both are shelters, taking blood and offering shild care.

BLOOD IS NEEDED

Actually they got alot of search and rescue taken care of. If you do want to help, meet at mssu leggett and platt center at 8, they will be coordinating the efforts there.

KingPriest2 05-23-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7659317)
Actually they got alot of search and rescue taken care of. If you do want to help, meet at mssu leggett and platt center at 8, they will be coordinating the efforts there.

Apprently not I was out in it today Most of the search and rescue was near St Johns and Rangeline. No where near the high school .

The authorties no where to be found It was families just searching their homes.

I saw that these people had no help

Monty 05-23-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7659317)

My wife and I are trying to clear our schedules so that we can drive up Thursday night and work through Monday evening.. She's a counselor and I can help with about anything, but telecom is my strength. We've signed up on the 211missouri.org site but if you have a better suggestion on who to contact please let me know.

Dante84 05-23-2011 11:35 PM

Well, not to look a gift horse in the mouth....

But the Chiefs donated 35k today and are holding a water bottle drive over the next two days.

While I think its AWESOME that they are making a donation.... I find it surprising that its A.) such a random figure and B.) such a low random figure.

You'd think Clark and/or the players could easily throw together a million. That being said, while it is $35k, it is $35k more than the Rams have dropped.

I'd like to see other major players in the area start pitching in... Sprint..WalMart...Lowes...Taco Bell... etc..

Jewish Rabbi 05-23-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 7659109)

Another sidenote, I had to take RustShack to the ER the night before it happened... Thomas died in that same room less than 12 hours later.

Jewish Rabbi 05-23-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 7659340)

But the Chiefs donated 35k today and are holding a water bottle drive over the next two days.

While I think its AWESOME that they are making a donation.... I find it surprising that its A.) such a random figure and B.) such a low random figure.

You'd think Clark and/or the players could easily throw together a million. That being said, while it is $35k, it is $35k more than the Rams have dropped.

I'd like to see other major players in the area start pitching in... Sprint..WalMart...Lowes...Taco Bell... etc..

The Cardinals donated 25k

Simply Red 05-23-2011 11:42 PM

that's awesome Monty! Thanks

J Diddy 05-23-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPriest2 (Post 7659322)
Apprently not I was out in it today Most of the search and rescue was near St Johns and Rangeline. No where near the high school .

The authorties no where to be found It was families just searching their homes.

I saw that these people had no help

I don't know where you were but there is nothing but cops ask through out the city. Especially by the high school.

Monty 05-23-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7659348)
that's awesome Monty! Thanks

It's hard to not do anything IMO.

Simply Red 05-23-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 7659344)
The Cardinals donated 25k

not too bad

Reaper16 05-23-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 7659353)

Agreed 100%

KingPriest2 05-23-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7659350)
I don't know where you were but there is nothing but cops ask through out the city. Especially by the high school.

Maybe a few sparesed i was near the high school i was also near the park right near Dillons I understand why it was sparse there was help needed elsewhere and so much destruction go near St Johns and Rangeline Many more over there

Simply Red 05-24-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty (Post 7659353)

true, but so is 'most don't put their lives on pause' to do so. So that's why i can appreciate it so, so, much.

FAX 05-24-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 7659340)

I'm sure it's just a start ... the Chiefs will surely donate more once arrangements are made for the collection and distribution of monies.

People have learned a lot over the last year or two about the right and wrong way to go about assisting disaster victims with financial donations. For example, there are currently millions of unspent funds in Nashville that were originally donated to assist the flood victims. The red tape associated with that boondoggle is frighteningly moronic. Many have gone without needed assistance while others are double and triple dipping.

Among the volunteer community, our experience (as well as the total freakshow that was Katrina and other recent disasters) has taught them to organize the donations and distribution methods before shelling out big amounts of private cash that winds up going either nowhere or into the pockets of administrators.

FAX

BossChief 05-24-2011 05:03 AM

FAX the sensible.

It's truly sad when the people coordinating the efforts don't get the help to where it's actually needed. Especially when the need is so incredibly immense.

Rain Man 05-24-2011 05:09 AM

Anyone seen a map of the damage areas yet?

RNR 05-24-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostcause (Post 7659358)
Went down to joplin today - and yes; there are police ALL over the place.

When we were hit in Haysville Ks the town was put on lock down by law enforcement and later the National Guard. Proof of residence to enter. I moved to the coast of North Carolina last year and it caught quite a bit of damage in the last go around. People here were freaked out and appeared ill prepared for tornados. The company I work for didn't have a tornado warning system in place until after the storms hit (strange as they are headquartered in Kansas) A lady I work with lived in a trailer and was inside of it while it flew 50’. She lost everything and was extremely lucky to live to talk about it. My heart goes out to those affected. The loss of loved ones, keepsakes and memories is devastating~

KingPriest2 05-24-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7659407)
FAX the sensible.

It's truly sad when the people coordinating the efforts don't get the help to where it's actually needed. Especially when the need is so incredibly immense.

Thats what Im talking about The destruction is so widespread that they dont have enough help

Yes the cops were ouit but they were on yhe main streets There were not on the side streets in the neighborhoods searching Mainly near the hospital and Rangeline is where they were searching They just need more help

WilliamTheIrish 05-24-2011 06:42 AM

I've seen this type of destruction before. I was a kid living in Topeka when an F5 in tornado hit the city on June 8th 1966. An 8 mile path of destruction that was about 1/2 mile wide as it cut through town.

Only lost 16 lives. 14 during the storm and 2 from heart attacks before and after. Bill Curtis, who would go on to some fame at CBS later in his career, uttered the famous words:"For God's sake take cover" over the air at WIBW.

The most vivid memory was picking up law school documents that blew into my yard from Washburn University about 10 miles away.

kcfanXIII 05-24-2011 06:42 AM

I am tired of hearing "we don't want your help, give us your money.". I dont have a lot of cash but i am more then willing to clear debris and such. I plan on going down this weekend to make sure my friends that live there have everything they need. Stay strong Joplin.

Saulbadguy 05-24-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 7659428)
I am tired of hearing "we don't want your help, give us your money.". I dont have a lot of cash but i am more then willing to clear debris and such. I plan on going down this weekend to make sure my friends that live there have everything they need. Stay strong Joplin.

Sounds like a great idea - do exactly the opposite of what they are asking.

Be sure to call a volunteer center to make sure they can utilize your help before you just decide to show up.

ReynardMuldrake 05-24-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

If you want to volunteer, please do it here:

Quote:

VOLUNTEER IN PERSON - Volunteer efforts are being coordinated through Missouri Southern State University.
Many people have contacted the City of Joplin to volunteer assistance to the victims of the storm. ALL citizen volunteers should report to the Recreation Center at Missouri Southern State University. Volunteers’ services are appreciated, but to be effective, will need to be coordinated through this centralized location. Citizens are reminded that the American Red Cross, in cooperation with the City, has set up a shelter at Missouri Southern State University in the Leggett & Platt Center.
http://www.joplinmo.org/article.cfm?AID=966

J Diddy 05-24-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

I appreciate that sentiment. We do need the help, what we don't need is the influx of lone rangers who's presence and traffic is hampering qualified search and rescue teams. nobodys turning anyone away, but go through the red cross or other places that are coordinating.

Saulbadguy 05-24-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7659427)
I've seen this type of destruction before. I was a kid living in Topeka when an F5 in tornado hit the city on June 8th 1966. An 8 mile path of destruction that was about 1/2 mile wide as it cut through town.

Only lost 16 lives. 14 during the storm and 2 from heart attacks before and after. Bill Curtis, who would go on to some fame at CBS later in his career, uttered the famous words:"For God's sake take cover" over the air at WIBW.

The most vivid memory was picking up law school documents that blew into my yard from Washburn University about 10 miles away.

I watch a special on PBS about that tornado every year on PBS. Pretty remarkable that more people weren't killed. The tornado tore a hole in the dome of the Capital.

ROYC75 05-24-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7659427)

We had family friends that worked for the Shawnee County Sheriff Dept. that lost homes but all survived. I remember as a kid, my uncle and his sons, Dad, my brother and I to go help them. It was the 1st tornado damage I had ever seen as a kid.I remember always taking cover for one but never seeing the destruction on one till then.

So much for the theory / myth that the hill on the west side would shield Topeka from a twister.

Alton deFlat 05-24-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Oh man, that's way too close. It's still standing, but I'm sure it sustained damage.

Alton deFlat 05-24-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 7659235)
Yeah just a few blocks past 7th its fine and right around Kings Palace theres damage then it just gets worse and worse but from what I understand everything 32nd and on is fine..I never made it further than around Home depot myself

Yea, I live at 44th, and I had no damage... not even a tree limb feel. Three blocks away, there are a few trees uprooted, and the further north you go, you start to see more damage. But you're right, hell starts at 32nd. Not sure about the old J-Town / Safeway building at26th and Main. They just turned it into a Salvation Army. It had to take a direct hit. It was an older building, that looks like it was probably built like a fortress.

JD10367 05-24-2011 07:47 AM

I love the awesome power of tornadoes. I love watching documentaries and cable shows about them. I would love to go stormchasing. But I really wish they would stay away from heavily-populated areas and stick to the farmlands and plains where they do little damage. My thoughts go out to the people of Joplin. It's easy for people to say, "Well, things and houses can be replaced, people can't be". Trust me, if you've lost your house, you know that it's something you never get over. It's not just the objects you had, it's the memories you made in that house and with those objects. I had a house fire when I was 17 that took most of my belongings. Decades later, it still resonates.

Events like this underscore the whole reason meteorologists chase these things, to learn how they form and why. Even Reed Timmer has edged from being a voyeuristic chaser to a guy who's also interested in the science of them (after he witnessed one too many devastations of a populated area).

Hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis kill far more people. But the tornado is so concentrated, nothing can stand in the way of a big one. It's like the finger of God came down and just drew a line on the map. Scary shit. I'm glad I don't live in an area that produces them.

Iowanian 05-24-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

No Doubt.

Once people recover from the personal loss of life and injuries, everything from the cleanup to the rebuilding of the community will end up stimulating the economy.

You can't replace the lives of family and friends, but there isn't a structure that can't be replaced with something as good or better than what was destroyed.

J Diddy 05-24-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alton deFlat (Post 7659471)
Yea, I live at 44th, and I had no damage... not even a tree limb feel. Three blocks away, there are a few trees uprooted, and the further north you go, you start to see more damage. But you're right, hell starts at 32nd. Not sure about the old J-Town / Safeway building at26th and Main. They just turned it into a Salvation Army. It had to take a direct hit. It was an older building, that looks like it was probably built like a fortress.

I was there right after it happened. Frame remains nothing else.

Reerun_KC 05-24-2011 08:13 AM

From my cousin this am....

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this difficult, difficult time! My grandparents are still unaccounted for. The rescue dogs were at the site where their home stood but did not detect anything. They have been reported as missing so hopefully we'll hear something very soon!!

bobbymitch 05-24-2011 08:28 AM

I trust that all those out of town volunteers are self-sustaining. That is, they bring their own shelter, food & water, and sanitary items so that they don't strain already limited resources in that area.