ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

Shag 04-19-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6687558)
yay, another APP, so I get to d/l a Hulu app, and a CNN app and a widget.com app... fun stuff.

I'm happy it works for you, but most of us aren't willing to sacrifice functionality for a sleek design.

Who is "us"? According to <a href="http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/" target="_blank">this</a> site, which tracks unique iPads through their advertising network, they estimate over 800k have been sold in just over 2 weeks (I don't believe any official numbers have been released). That's US-only, and without the 3G model being available. I'd say it's selling extremely well...

Silock 04-19-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6687558)
yay, another APP, so I get to d/l a Hulu app, and a CNN app and a widget.com app... fun stuff.

I'm happy it works for you, but most of us aren't willing to sacrifice functionality for a sleek design.

Please tell me how pressing the app button is any different than navigating to the web browser and then scrolling down to the bookmark.

In this sense, the apps are no more complicated than links.

irishjayhawk 04-19-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6687661)
Please tell me how pressing the app button is any different than navigating to the web browser and then scrolling down to the bookmark.

In this sense, the apps are no more complicated than links.

He'll argue cluttering the home screen.

AustinChief 04-19-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6687669)
He'll argue cluttering the home screen.

No, I'll argue that it's not a sustainable model when you need a different app for every site... That's fine if you visit 20 or so sites, but I go to considerably more.

What if ChiefsPlanet had a significant amount of flash or video... do you honestly expect me to program an iphone app for the site? I imagine a number of sites feel the same way.

AustinChief 04-19-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6687600)
Okay.

functionality? flash is functionality?

yes it is. Is it perfect? no, but if you want to put your head in the sand and ignore it, that's your choice... I just think it's silly to do so.

Silock 04-20-2010 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6687733)
No, I'll argue that it's not a sustainable model when you need a different app for every site... That's fine if you visit 20 or so sites, but I go to considerably more.

What if ChiefsPlanet had a significant amount of flash or video... do you honestly expect me to program an iphone app for the site? I imagine a number of sites feel the same way.

It IS a sustainable model... as proven by the hundreds of thousands of apps in the app store. Just sayin'.

If CP had a significant amount of flash or video, I'd just wait to access it until I was at my computer.

irishjayhawk 04-20-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6687733)

Actually, many sites are doing just that. Moreover, they have flash degrading pages for the main browsers so that if someone has it blocked or uninstalled, they get the same content in a different codec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6687740)
yes it is. Is it perfect? no, but if you want to put your head in the sand and ignore it, that's your choice... I just think it's silly to do so.

I don't see how saying it's dying is putting my head in the sand and ignoring it. Otherwise, how could I observe that it sucks tremendous balls.

And aside from perhaps emulators flash isn't really functional. Unless you count ads, which I never do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6687923)
It IS a sustainable model... as proven by the hundreds of thousands of apps in the app store. Just sayin'.

If CP had a significant amount of flash or video, I'd just wait to access it until I was at my computer.

Exactly.

DaFace 04-20-2010 10:47 AM

Interesting factoid of the day: AustinChief now has 57 posts in this thread. He's posted 3,818 times on the site, which means that this thread accounts for 1.5% of AustinChief's total posts. :Poke:

Fish 04-28-2010 10:34 AM

LOL Bump...

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9...1837268100.jpg

Fish 04-28-2010 10:38 AM

One thing I'm not liking about the iPad.... is the apps created for the iPhone screen that they lazily ported over for the iPad with no regard for different screen size. So you're looking at this tiny little iPhone sized app on the big iPad screen. You can zoom in on it, but that's just makes it look worse.

I have to admit that book reading is much better than I expected.

irishjayhawk 04-28-2010 02:29 PM

For some reason my post yesterday didn't take.

The camera USB adapter apparently accepts other devices. Headsets for one are go. Zip drives I assume have been tried with no luck, but it appears they could be enabled at some point given that headsets work.

irishjayhawk 04-28-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6721497)
One thing I'm not liking about the iPad.... is the apps created for the iPhone screen that they lazily ported over for the iPad with no regard for different screen size. So you're looking at this tiny little iPhone sized app on the big iPad screen. You can zoom in on it, but that's just makes it look worse.

I have to admit that book reading is much better than I expected.

That's a developer being lazy than anything. If i'm a developer, I build a new app. I can charge more and it opens up possibilities. Now, what I wish is that iPhone apps could be like widgets on OSX where you could have them running and pull them up over the screen.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 07:58 AM

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Quote:

Apple has a long relationship with Adobe. In fact, we met Adobe’s founders when they were in their proverbial garage. Apple was their first big customer, adopting their Postscript language for our new Laserwriter printer. Apple invested in Adobe and owned around 20% of the company for many years. The two companies worked closely together to pioneer desktop publishing and there were many good times. Since that golden era, the companies have grown apart. Apple went through its near death experience, and Adobe was drawn to the corporate market with their Acrobat products. Today the two companies still work together to serve their joint creative customers – Mac users buy around half of Adobe’s Creative Suite products – but beyond that there are few joint interests.

I wanted to jot down some of our thoughts on Adobe’s Flash products so that customers and critics may better understand why we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven – they say we want to protect our App Store – but in reality it is based on technology issues. Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true. Let me explain.

First, there’s “Open”.

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.

Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.

Second, there’s the “full web”.

Adobe has repeatedly said that Apple mobile devices cannot access “the full web” because 75% of video on the web is in Flash. What they don’t say is that almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads. YouTube, with an estimated 40% of the web’s video, shines in an app bundled on all Apple mobile devices, with the iPad offering perhaps the best YouTube discovery and viewing experience ever. Add to this video from Vimeo, Netflix, Facebook, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, NPR, Time, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated, People, National Geographic, and many, many others. iPhone, iPod and iPad users aren’t missing much video.

Another Adobe claim is that Apple devices cannot play Flash games. This is true. Fortunately, there are over 50,000 games and entertainment titles on the App Store, and many of them are free. There are more games and entertainment titles available for iPhone, iPod and iPad than for any other platform in the world.

Third, there’s reliability, security and performance.

Symantec recently highlighted Flash for having one of the worst security records in 2009. We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash. We have been working with Adobe to fix these problems, but they have persisted for several years now. We don’t want to reduce the reliability and security of our iPhones, iPods and iPads by adding Flash.

In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. Adobe publicly said that Flash would ship on a smartphone in early 2009, then the second half of 2009, then the first half of 2010, and now they say the second half of 2010. We think it will eventually ship, but we’re glad we didn’t hold our breath. Who knows how it will perform?

Fourth, there’s battery life.

To achieve long battery life when playing video, mobile devices must decode the video in hardware; decoding it in software uses too much power. Many of the chips used in modern mobile devices contain a decoder called H.264 – an industry standard that is used in every Blu-ray DVD player and has been adopted by Apple, Google (YouTube), Vimeo, Netflix and many other companies.

Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software. The difference is striking: on an iPhone, for example, H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained.

When websites re-encode their videos using H.264, they can offer them without using Flash at all. They play perfectly in browsers like Apple’s Safari and Google’s Chrome without any plugins whatsoever, and look great on iPhones, iPods and iPads.

Fifth, there’s Touch.

Flash was designed for PCs using mice, not for touch screens using fingers. For example, many Flash websites rely on “rollovers”, which pop up menus or other elements when the mouse arrow hovers over a specific spot. Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface doesn’t use a mouse, and there is no concept of a rollover. Most Flash websites will need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices. If developers need to rewrite their Flash websites, why not use modern technologies like HTML5, CSS and JavaScript?

Even if iPhones, iPods and iPads ran Flash, it would not solve the problem that most Flash websites need to be rewritten to support touch-based devices.

Sixth, the most important reason.

Besides the fact that Flash is closed and proprietary, has major technical drawbacks, and doesn’t support touch based devices, there is an even more important reason we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. We have discussed the downsides of using Flash to play video and interactive content from websites, but Adobe also wants developers to adopt Flash to create apps that run on our mobile devices.

We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform. If developers grow dependent on third party development libraries and tools, they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third party chooses to adopt the new features. We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers.

This becomes even worse if the third party is supplying a cross platform development tool. The third party may not adopt enhancements from one platform unless they are available on all of their supported platforms. Hence developers only have access to the lowest common denominator set of features. Again, we cannot accept an outcome where developers are blocked from using our innovations and enhancements because they are not available on our competitor’s platforms.

Flash is a cross platform development tool. It is not Adobe’s goal to help developers write the best iPhone, iPod and iPad apps. It is their goal to help developers write cross platform apps. And Adobe has been painfully slow to adopt enhancements to Apple’s platforms. For example, although Mac OS X has been shipping for almost 10 years now, Adobe just adopted it fully (Cocoa) two weeks ago when they shipped CS5. Adobe was the last major third party developer to fully adopt Mac OS X.

Our motivation is simple – we want to provide the most advanced and innovative platform to our developers, and we want them to stand directly on the shoulders of this platform and create the best apps the world has ever seen. We want to continually enhance the platform so developers can create even more amazing, powerful, fun and useful applications. Everyone wins – we sell more devices because we have the best apps, developers reach a wider and wider audience and customer base, and users are continually delighted by the best and broadest selection of apps on any platform.

Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

Steve Jobs
April, 2010

The Rick 04-29-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6723952)

I was just coming here to post this and you beat me to it. :)

I think this is a great summary of the situation. Flash is the past. HTML5 is the future. Apple has never been shy about leading the pack when it comes to dumping old technologies without a future. Much like when they were one of, if not the first, to dump 3.5" floppy drives.

DaFace 04-29-2010 08:56 AM

The irony of Steve Jobs criticizing another company for being "proprietary" is pretty amusing.

patteeu 04-29-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 6724062)
The irony of Steve Jobs criticizing another company for being "proprietary" is pretty amusing.

I think a more fair take is that he's criticizing Adobe for claiming to be open.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 6724062)

I read it like Pat does, below. In my mind, the weakest part of his statement is the framing that takes place when he conveniently ignores the App Store as being a closed system, which is what Adobe is referring to. Adobe is not stupid enough to think Apple is closed in regards to web standards. Hell, they practically pioneered them.

So, when he ignores the App Store point and frames it in terms of the web, he ignores Adobe's initial argument. Having said that, it really is all about the web and not the App store. Flash on the iPhone/iPad is not the big story here, it's flash becoming obsolete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6724096)
I think a more fair take is that he's criticizing Adobe for claiming to be open.

Fish 04-29-2010 10:39 AM

The reliability and performance aspect of Flash is way overblown in the article. Anybody with a jailbroken iPhone or iPod can easily attest to that. Flash video performs perfectly fine on many different mobile devices and has for some time. And Flash in OS X works great too. In Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6724344)
The reliability and performance aspect of Flash is way overblown in the article. Anybody with a jailbroken iPhone or iPod can easily attest to that. Flash video performs perfectly fine on many different mobile devices and has for some time. And Flash in OS X works great too. In Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Fish 04-29-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6724375)
I wholeheartedly disagree.

On what merits? I've experienced Flash on every model of iPhone, on several Winmobile phones, on 2 Android phones, and on Palm OS. It ran great on each one. I maintain multiple labs full of Macs ranging from G3s to the newest Mac Pros, running a wide range of OS X versions. They all access Flash content for online learning purposes every day. Never had any performance or reliability problems. None.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6724391)
On what merits? I've experienced Flash on every model of iPhone, on several Winmobile phones, on 2 Android phones, and on Palm OS. It ran great on each one. I maintain multiple labs full of Macs ranging from G3s to the newest Mac Pros, running a wide range of OS X versions. They all access Flash content for online learning purposes every day. Never had any performance or reliability problems. None.

Any time my browser crashes, it's almost always because I was doing something in flash.

Fish 04-29-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6724395)
Any time my browser crashes, it's almost always because I was doing something in flash.

Not saying I don't believe you. But that has never been my experience. I manage well over 500 Macs at work. We do in house Flash development ourselves. I check log files very consistently and have to keep track of trends like browser crashes. ARD gathers reports on a daily basis on nearly every machine I manage. Flash can crash the browser sure, but it's not a noticeable trend by any means at all. And that's in collaboration with other campus's IT departments that have similar systems in place.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6724445)
Not saying I don't believe you. But that has never been my experience. I manage well over 500 Macs at work. We do in house Flash development ourselves. I check log files very consistently and have to keep track of trends like browser crashes. ARD gathers reports on a daily basis on nearly every machine I manage. Flash can crash the browser sure, but it's not a noticeable trend by any means at all. And that's in collaboration with other campus's IT departments that have similar systems in place.

I'm willing to agree that it's slightly overblown but the continually understated argument is that flash is dying and it's a good thing.

Deberg_1990 04-29-2010 11:53 AM

Bottom line,

Until Apples customers complain and they start losing money because of lack of Flash support, they wont change.

and right now, Apple is winning.

AustinChief 04-29-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6723952)

WOW.. is anyone really dumb enough to buy this? Once you have to start using bold faced lies to prop up your argument.. you've lost in my book.

Quote:

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.
Let's start here... they rebranded KHTML from KDE... they didn't CREATE anything... they expanded on an Open Source project by developing a fork of their own in private... frankly, KDE should have sued them for the NUMEROUS license violations and shady practices they used to STEAL the KHTML project away from them. So, Jobs can **** himself for this statement.

Quote:

almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads.
Is ANYONE dumb enough to believe this? It isn't even close to true and won't be for quite awhile.

Quote:

We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash.
I have no specific data on this... but I have never seen this to be the case... and I'm not buying it sight unseen without ACTUAL data from an independent source.

Quote:

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too).
Here he is right, but I for one would rather not buy into a product line that won't have fully functional access to content until that day arrives. To each his own I guess... but don't try to lie to me Jobs.

AustinChief 04-29-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6724912)
Let's start here... they rebranded KHTML from KDE... they didn't CREATE anything... they expanded on an Open Source project by developing a fork of their own in private... frankly, KDE should have sued them for the NUMEROUS license violations and shady practices they used to STEAL the KHTML project away from them. So, Jobs can **** himself for this statement.

OH and Jobs also fails to mention that the majority of progress WebKit has made recently is due to development by the folks at GOOGLE.

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6724912)
WOW.. is anyone really dumb enough to buy this? Once you have to start using bold faced lies to prop up your argument.. you've lost in my book.

I'm curious to see the lies.

Quote:

Don't care, really. Has no bearing on the point at hand.

Quote:

Is ANYONE dumb enough to believe this? It isn't even close to true and won't be for quite awhile.
Actually, it's fairly accurate. Almost all sites have a flash degrading method which usually degrades to H264. The entire YouTube app goes this route. Porn sites have this method.

But I'm glad all you have is a "no it isn't, and won't be". Instead of, you know, examples.

Quote:

I have no specific data on this... but I have never seen this to be the case... and I'm not buying it sight unseen without ACTUAL data from an independent source.
I know from experience, but I too would like an independent source. Having said that, I really don't think it matters. Adobe's flash is horrendous. It's as bad as their installers and CS4 on a Mac.

Quote:

Here he is right, but I for one would rather not buy into a product line that won't have fully functional access to content until that day arrives. To each his own I guess... but don't try to lie to me Jobs.
So, he's lied a grand total of zero times. He was, perhaps, not fully truthful in the KDE webkit thing, but I don't count a single "lie".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6724930)
OH and Jobs also fails to mention that the majority of progress WebKit has made recently is due to development by the folks at GOOGLE.

If you're going to start saying Jobs is lying for exaggerating, I'm going to have to say you are too since this statement is reeruned. Yes, Google has contributed but I would bet a large sum they are not responsible for the "majority of progress Webkit has made".

irishjayhawk 04-29-2010 09:15 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cl7xQ8i3fc0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cl7xQ8i3fc0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AustinChief 04-30-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

So, he's lied a grand total of zero times. He was, perhaps, not fully truthful in the KDE webkit thing, but I don't count a single "lie".

If you're going to start saying Jobs is lying for exaggerating, I'm going to have to say you are too since this statement is reeruned. Yes, Google has contributed but I would bet a large sum they are not responsible for the "majority of progress Webkit has made"
Well, then you don't know shit. Jobs is a **** for trying to play off webkit as an apple innovation... I was involved with KHTML and watched apple steal it and BREAK THE ****ING LAW to make it their own. It is one of my BIGGEST complaints with them at the moment... and if you don't know how much Google brought to the table WITHOUT having to steal it .. then you really need to bow out of this argument...

...if I had ANY legal standing I would right now be suing the shit out of the bastard ****S at apple that profiteered of KHTML. **** them and may Jobs burn in hell for what he did to Woz and for trying to PRETEND that apple "created" webkit as an open source product...

AustinChief 04-30-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Actually, it's fairly accurate. Almost all sites have a flash degrading method which usually degrades to H264. The entire YouTube app goes this route. Porn sites have this method.
The burden of proof is on you and Jobs... the FACT is... he is LYING... the MAJORITY of sites do NOT support html5 ... man up and make a bet with me and I'll prove it. I'll even take the bet 5 months from now (I would say 6 but we have been arguing this point for a month already)

Silock 04-30-2010 02:46 AM

http://i43.tinypic.com/241jxqt.gif

AustinChief 04-30-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6726605)

yes very funny, how many hours of your life has apple profiteered off you? Seriously, **** off. There are a number of people who they have made money off of and that may be ok enough... but to hear Jobs try to play webkit off as an apple open source innovation when it ws ****IN STOLEN.. is disgusting.

Silock 04-30-2010 04:17 AM

Geezus, dude. Calm down! That wasn't even directed at you personally, but at this entire shitfest of a thread.

But I suggest that if you have proof of what you claim, you should file suit. Don't just do nothing because you feel powerless.

WilliamTheIrish 04-30-2010 05:01 AM

Greatest nerd fight thread ever.

Pushead2 04-30-2010 05:09 AM

this could be an episode on Maury.

irishjayhawk 04-30-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6726598)
Well, then you don't know shit. Jobs is a **** for trying to play off webkit as an apple innovation... I was involved with KHTML and watched apple steal it and BREAK THE ****ING LAW to make it their own. It is one of my BIGGEST complaints with them at the moment... and if you don't know how much Google brought to the table WITHOUT having to steal it .. then you really need to bow out of this argument...

...if I had ANY legal standing I would right now be suing the shit out of the bastard ****S at apple that profiteered of KHTML. **** them and may Jobs burn in hell for what he did to Woz and for trying to PRETEND that apple "created" webkit as an open source product...

I still don't really see what this has to do with his arguments. Pretty much nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6726600)
The burden of proof is on you and Jobs... the FACT is... he is LYING... the MAJORITY of sites do NOT support html5 ... man up and make a bet with me and I'll prove it. I'll even take the bet 5 months from now (I would say 6 but we have been arguing this point for a month already)

H246 is independent of HTML5.

NewChief 04-30-2010 05:32 AM

ROFL

It's awesome to see Austinchief get so worked up about something.

Dave Lane 04-30-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6726615)
yes very funny, how many hours of your life has apple profiteered off you? Seriously, **** off. There are a number of people who they have made money off of and that may be ok enough... but to hear Jobs try to play webkit off as an apple open source innovation when it ws ****IN STOLEN.. is disgusting.

I sued Apple for $50,000,000. And I won. Does that count for anything??

DaFace 04-30-2010 11:32 AM

This whole thing is getting to be pretty damn hilarious. Adobe's reaction: **** you Apple. We'll leave you in the dust.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...g_forward.html

Moving Forward
POSTED BY KEVIN LYNCH, CTO ON APRIL 29, 2010 5:32 PM

This morning Apple posted some thoughts about Flash on their web site. The primary issue at hand is that Apple is choosing to block Adobe's widely used runtimes as well as a variety of technologies from other providers.

Clearly, a lot of people are passionate about both Apple and Adobe and our technologies. We feel confident that were Apple and Adobe to work together as we are with a number of other partners, we could provide a terrific experience with Flash on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

However, as we posted last week, given the legal terms Apple has imposed on developers, we have already decided to shift our focus away from Apple's iPhone and iPad devices for both Flash Player and AIR. We are working to bring Flash Player and AIR to all the other major participants in the mobile ecosystem, including Google, RIM, Palm (soon to be HP), Microsoft, Nokia and others.

We look forward to delivering Flash Player 10.1 for Android smartphones as a public preview at Google I/O in May, and then a general release in June. From that point on, an ever increasing number and variety of powerful, Flash-enabled devices will be arriving which we hope will provide a great landscape of choice.

Pants 04-30-2010 11:39 AM

I love when the big boys start to flex at each other. I was hoping it was going to happen between M$ and Sony, but this is good enough.

:clap:

AustinChief 04-30-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6726671)
I still don't really see what this has to do with his arguments. Pretty much nothing.

H246 is independent of HTML5.

It has nothing to do with the core argument, just disgusting to see him use webkit to claim apple contributes to open source...

H264 is just a codec... without html5 to deliver the video... it doesn't do anything.

irishjayhawk 04-30-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6727600)
It has nothing to do with the core argument, just disgusting to see him use webkit to claim apple contributes to open source...

H264 is just a codec... without html5 to deliver the video... it doesn't do anything.

So he didn't really lie in the write up?

Also: :spock: H264 exists without HTML5...

Param 04-30-2010 01:55 PM

There's a line of 50+ people at the Apple store near me. 3G model goes on sale today.

EDIT: Over 200+ now

AustinChief 04-30-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6727679)
So he didn't really lie in the write up?

Also: :spock: H264 exists without HTML5...

You don't follow along very well...

he LIED at least twice... ONE in claiming webkit as apple's innovation

and TWO in claiming that "almost all this video" was available through h264.. it ISN'T and the reason it isn't is because h264 is simply a codec that requires a delivery system... like html5 or FLASH(which has supported h264 for ages now) or each site has to deliver a proprietary app... yay!

If he had said... "almost all this video" will one day be available without the need of Flash.. he would be right... but it IS NOT YET.

irishjayhawk 04-30-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6727724)
You don't follow along very well...

he LIED at least twice... ONE in claiming webkit as apple's innovation

and TWO in claiming that "almost all this video" was available through h264.. it ISN'T and the reason it isn't is because h264 is simply a codec that requires a delivery system... like html5 or FLASH(which has supported h264 for ages now) or each site has to deliver a proprietary app... yay!

If he had said... "almost all this video" will one day be available without the need of Flash.. he would be right... but it IS NOT YET.

So one of the "lies" is about something that isn't the issue at hand. Got it.

Second "lie" is only a lie because you deem it so. I could equally say he's saying the truth, but it wouldn't mean much, just as your assertion that he is lying.

I realize H264 is a codec that requires a delivery system. That delivery system being HTML4 - THE CURRENT VERSION. So, he is not lying.

AustinChief 04-30-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6727770)
So one of the "lies" is about something that isn't the issue at hand. Got it.

Second "lie" is only a lie because you deem it so. I could equally say he's saying the truth, but it wouldn't mean much, just as your assertion that he is lying.

I realize H264 is a codec that requires a delivery system. That delivery system being HTML4 - THE CURRENT VERSION. So, he is not lying.

HUH? and what we have here is FAIL. HTML4 does not deliver video without a plugin (i.e. FLASH)

I WORK in this field so I really do know what I'm talking about.... my assertion actually carries some weight... oh and understanding the technologies involved helps.

AustinChief 04-30-2010 04:40 PM

A quick tutorial for those not in the industry...

h264 is a video codec owned by the MPEG group.. it is NOT open source... Adobe licensed the technology years ago and integrated it into FLASH... which is the NUMBER ONE reason h264 is so popular...

Now, let's switch gears .. MS has Internet Explorer, Apple has Safari... both companies are members of MPEG LA and license h264... On the other side are the supporters of open source Mozilla Firefox and Opera... they do not have licenses and therefore support the open source alternative Ogg Theora video.

Now here is where it gets wierd... Google Chrome supports BOTH formats... and to make it even wierder... Google bought On2 Technologies... a company that makes video codecs... they made the original Theora (then called VP3) and it's likely that next month Google will release the VP8 codec as open source... if they do so... the debate over which codec will be implemented in html5 will heat back up.

This issue is far from as settled as Jobs seems to indicate... Apple and Microsoft are setting themselves up against the open source community .. it will all come down to Google, in my opinion. If they release VP8 AND switch youtube over to VP8 AND throw their weight behind it as the html5 standard... then Apple and Microsoft are screwed unless they follow along.

As I have stated many times... this thing is a mess and far from being resolved.

Dave Lane 04-30-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Param (Post 6727683)
There's a line of 50+ people at the Apple store near me. 3G model goes on sale today.

EDIT: Over 200+ now

I bought one today Line in Leawood was about 50

Silock 04-30-2010 09:53 PM

Stepping into the Flash debate just hours after Apple CEO Steve Jobs issued his "Thoughts on Flash" letter discussing why Apple has elected not to include support for Adobe's Flash on its iPhone OS devices, Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer Dean Hachamovitch noted this his company is throwing its weight behind the H.264 standard promoted by Apple for future HTML5 video content.
The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

Hachamovitch goes on to acknowledge that video on the web today is primarily Flash-based, and while Microsoft continues to work with Adobe on Flash, he also notes that it carries some issues related to reliability, security, and performance.

Hachamovitch's comments suggest that while Microsoft recognizes the dominant role played by Flash, it is also looking ahead to the future, where it sees a much more prominent role for HTML5 and H.264, a view shared and being pushed forward by Apple in its decisions and communications.

irishjayhawk 04-30-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6727954)
HUH? and what we have here is FAIL. HTML4 does not deliver video without a plugin (i.e. FLASH)

I WORK in this field so I really do know what I'm talking about.... my assertion actually carries some weight... oh and understanding the technologies involved helps.

Yeah, so when I put up my .mov in H264, it will play without FLASH. If you want to tell me the .mov or quicktime file is the plugin, so be it. But that doesn't undermine my point.

Users still have access to almost all the video due to this. Both because flash degrading pages and iPhone/iPad specificly made pages. Now, if you want to argue that making a page specifically for the iPad or iPhone is bad practice, so be it. But the video is available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6728075)
A quick tutorial for those not in the industry...

h264 is a video codec owned by the MPEG group.. it is NOT open source... Adobe licensed the technology years ago and integrated it into FLASH... which is the NUMBER ONE reason h264 is so popular...

Now, let's switch gears .. MS has Internet Explorer, Apple has Safari... both companies are members of MPEG LA and license h264... On the other side are the supporters of open source Mozilla Firefox and Opera... they do not have licenses and therefore support the open source alternative Ogg Theora video.

Now here is where it gets wierd... Google Chrome supports BOTH formats... and to make it even wierder... Google bought On2 Technologies... a company that makes video codecs... they made the original Theora (then called VP3) and it's likely that next month Google will release the VP8 codec as open source... if they do so... the debate over which codec will be implemented in html5 will heat back up.

This issue is far from as settled as Jobs seems to indicate... Apple and Microsoft are setting themselves up against the open source community .. it will all come down to Google, in my opinion. If they release VP8 AND switch youtube over to VP8 AND throw their weight behind it as the html5 standard... then Apple and Microsoft are screwed unless they follow along.

As I have stated many times... this thing is a mess and far from being resolved.

This actually undermines your entire point. If Flash is the "plugin" for the codec and Apple has a problem with the plugin, they don't necessarily have a problem with the codec. Thus, it could easily be a case of Apple and Microsoft conceding and allowing both of the other codecs.

Which.....dun dun dun.....

Has nothing to do with flash.

AustinChief 05-01-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6728892)
Yeah, so when I put up my .mov in H264, it will play without FLASH. If you want to tell me the .mov or quicktime file is the plugin, so be it. But that doesn't undermine my point.

Users still have access to almost all the video due to this. Both because flash degrading pages and iPhone/iPad specificly made pages. Now, if you want to argue that making a page specifically for the iPad or iPhone is bad practice, so be it. But the video is available.

This actually undermines your entire point. If Flash is the "plugin" for the codec and Apple has a problem with the plugin, they don't necessarily have a problem with the codec. Thus, it could easily be a case of Apple and Microsoft conceding and allowing both of the other codecs.

Which.....dun dun dun.....

Has nothing to do with flash.

Wow! you have once again missed the point...

I am NOT a big FLASH fan... but I am a REALIST not a ****ing bundle of sticksy apple fan boy which you are proving yourself to be... hey, do you NOW know that h264 is not served thru html4??? JESUS dude, you can't even admit that you didn't know SHITE about the basic tech involved...

You are clueless on the reality of the situation... wanna make a bet on V8? I'd say it's 50/50 on google BURYING this point and making apple their bitch... comes down to whether they want to or not....

as JOBS said.. youtube is 40% of all web video(also false but lets go with the **** you are dumb enough to believe) ... if so, google can make 40% of all web video unaccessible to apple in one stroke....
I'm sorry but I may be done arguing with you until you ACTUALLY get a ****ing clue as to the tech involved... YEP.. h264 (or any video codec) is served thru HTM4(get a clue)... dude, don't argue points that are told to you, argue point you may actually KNOW...

I actually hate to be so insulting, but you are insulting me by arguing a point that you really have NO STANDING on... you are embarrassing yourself at this point.

AustinChief 05-01-2010 03:34 AM

[quote=irishjayhawk;6728892]Yeah, so when I put up my .mov in H264, it will play without FLASH. If you want to tell me the .mov or quicktime file is the plugin, so be it. But that doesn't undermine my point.

Users still have access to almost all the video due to this. Both because flash degrading pages and iPhone/iPad specificly made pages. Now, if you want to argue that making a page specifically for the iPad or iPhone is bad practice, so be it. But the video is available.[quote]

Ok, going back to address your "points"... NO THEY ****ING DON'T HAVE ACCESS... CHRIST... take a class instead of listening to me or anyone elses propoganda... seriously, LEARN the tech... it's pretty obvious you are clueless at this point.

THE VIDEO IS NOT AVAIALABLE... as I have offered thrice before.. make the bet with me if you want to back your BULLSHIT up ... and I will show you.

AustinChief 05-01-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6728761)
Stepping into the Flash debate just hours after Apple CEO Steve Jobs issued his "Thoughts on Flash" letter discussing why Apple has elected not to include support for Adobe's Flash on its iPhone OS devices, Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer Dean Hachamovitch noted this his company is throwing its weight behind the H.264 standard promoted by Apple for future HTML5 video content.
The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

Hachamovitch goes on to acknowledge that video on the web today is primarily Flash-based, and while Microsoft continues to work with Adobe on Flash, he also notes that it carries some issues related to reliability, security, and performance.

Hachamovitch's comments suggest that while Microsoft recognizes the dominant role played by Flash, it is also looking ahead to the future, where it sees a much more prominent role for HTML5 and H.264, a view shared and being pushed forward by Apple in its decisions and communications.

FUTURE= 12 to 18 months or more

h.264= proprietary... and if google releases V8 then maybe not even worth mentioning.... MOZILLA and OPERA won't play ball... REGARDLESS.

put your money on Apple and MS versus EVERYONE ELSE... sorry I will go with whoever GOOGLE sides with... which we don't know for another 2 month who that is....

irishjayhawk 05-01-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729161)
Wow! you have once again missed the point...

I am NOT a big FLASH fan... but I am a REALIST not a ****ing pillowbitery apple fan boy which you are proving yourself to be... hey, do you NOW know that h264 is not served thru html4??? JESUS dude, you can't even admit that you didn't know SHITE about the basic tech involved...

Actually, my points are still in tact. For example, H264 being served thru html4 was a point about you making a false point: HTML5 is needed to serve h264 content. That's not true as HTML4 can support H264 videos. The fact it needs a plugin is superfluous.

And you've been defending flash the whole time. That's been the argument.

Quote:

You are clueless on the reality of the situation... wanna make a bet on V8? I'd say it's 50/50 on google BURYING this point and making apple their bitch... comes down to whether they want to or not....
At this point, V8 is meaningless. It doesn't have YT support, it doesn't have much ground in the web.

Quote:

as JOBS said.. youtube is 40% of all web video(also false but lets go with the **** you are dumb enough to believe) ... if so, google can make 40% of all web video unaccessible to apple in one stroke....
Please go cite your "false" assertions. Not that I believe 40% figure, but all you ever do is say "oh that's false" without actually backing anything up. Kinda like your "Jobs lies through the whole thing".

Quote:

I'm sorry but I may be done arguing with you until you ACTUALLY get a ****ing clue as to the tech involved... YEP.. h264 (or any video codec) is served thru HTM4(get a clue)... dude, don't argue points that are told to you, argue point you may actually KNOW...
That's my goddamn point. Flash is irrelevant. Which is what Jobs is arguing. And that's why he says most video can be displayed on the iPad/iPhone.

Thank you for finally seeing my whole point.

Quote:

I actually hate to be so insulting, but you are insulting me by arguing a point that you really have NO STANDING on... you are embarrassing yourself at this point.
What was my point as you saw it?

irishjayhawk 05-01-2010 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=AustinChief;6729162][quote=irishjayhawk;6728892]Yeah, so when I put up my .mov in H264, it will play without FLASH. If you want to tell me the .mov or quicktime file is the plugin, so be it. But that doesn't undermine my point.

Users still have access to almost all the video due to this. Both because flash degrading pages and iPhone/iPad specificly made pages. Now, if you want to argue that making a page specifically for the iPad or iPhone is bad practice, so be it. But the video is available./
Quote:

Ok, going back to address your "points"... NO THEY ****ING DON'T HAVE ACCESS... CHRIST... take a class instead of listening to me or anyone elses propoganda... seriously, LEARN the tech... it's pretty obvious you are clueless at this point.

THE VIDEO IS NOT AVAIALABLE... as I have offered thrice before.. make the bet with me if you want to back your BULLSHIT up ... and I will show you.
What are you talking about?

I have an iPod Touch. I know that many sites have flash degrading mechanisms or simply design a site knowing Apple doesn't allow flash. Therefore, the customers have the video.

Currently, I'm uploading an old video of mine. It's in H264 and it will be in on a webpage that isn't HTML5 nor is it in flash. Ergo, my ipod Touch will be able to play it, as anyone's iPad.

Silock 05-01-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729163)
FUTURE= 12 to 18 months or more

Okay . . . ? And . . . ?

Quote:

h.264= proprietary... and if google releases V8 then maybe not even worth mentioning.... MOZILLA and OPERA won't play ball... REGARDLESS.
Browser market is still DOMINATED by IE. Add in Safari and you're looking at nearly 60% of the total browsing done by these two alone.

irishjayhawk 05-01-2010 11:02 AM

http://kobrien15.webfactional.com/DAVTAKE5.mov

I'm betting that it works on iPods/iPads.

AustinChief 05-01-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6729270)
Actually, my points are still in tact. For example, H264 being served thru html4 was a point about you making a false point: HTML5 is needed to serve h264 content. That's not true as HTML4 can support H264 videos. The fact it needs a plugin is superfluous.

And you've been defending flash the whole time. That's been the argument.

At this point, V8 is meaningless. It doesn't have YT support, it doesn't have much ground in the web.

Please go cite your "false" assertions. Not that I believe 40% figure, but all you ever do is say "oh that's false" without actually backing anything up. Kinda like your "Jobs lies through the whole thing".

That's my goddamn point. Flash is irrelevant. Which is what Jobs is arguing. And that's why he says most video can be displayed on the iPad/iPhone.

Thank you for finally seeing my whole point.

What was my point as you saw it?

WOW... just wow. You are so out of your element Donnie...

#1 I was being sarcastic, I never "saw your point" because you never made a valid one... HTML4 CAN NOT SERVE VIDEO PERIOD. FLASH or QT or WHATEVER can serve video... so Jobs and his deuchey minions can WANT AND WISH AND HOPE for the iPad to be able to watch web video all they want... but it won't make it happen because the iPad doesn't support the necessary plugins... and HTML5 is NOT ****ING HERE YET.

I have not been defending Flash, I have been attacking a lack of Flash support as a good idea by Apple... BIG DIFFERENCE.

And don't comment on VP8.. what the **** is YT support? YouTube? You do realize Google owns YouTube and can convert the entire library over to VP8 in a matter of days, right?

Ok, I'm done, this has gotten silly, you clearly don't have a clue and at this point you are arguing based on the reality you WANT to exist not the observable one we actually are stuck with.

AustinChief 05-01-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6729353)
Okay . . . ? And . . . ?

Browser market is still DOMINATED by IE. Add in Safari and you're looking at nearly 60% of the total browsing done by these two alone.

AND.. if 12-18 months is how long it takes to get a majority of the web converted to a standard that AS OF RIGHT NOW has yet to be determined... why buy a device NOW that will be outdated by the time it is useful?

Also, I don't care if IE and Safari are 60 or even 80% of the browser market.. if Google decided to put it's weight behind VP8... either IE and Safari will support it as well OR Chrome, Mozilla and Opera will replace them... end of story.

People will use whatever browser supports the content .. and right now Google controls the lion's share of content.

irishjayhawk 05-01-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729562)

#1 I was being sarcastic, I never "saw your point" because you never made a valid one... HTML4 CAN NOT SERVE VIDEO PERIOD. FLASH or QT or WHATEVER can serve video... so Jobs and his deuchey minions can WANT AND WISH AND HOPE for the iPad to be able to watch web video all they want... but it won't make it happen because the iPad doesn't support the necessary plugins... and HTML5 is NOT ****ING HERE YET.

Weird. iPad and iPod do support the plugins. I don't understand how you don't get this. You even prove it.

Flash or QT can serve video. HTML4 allows flash or QT. Thus, iPad and iPod can, in fact, view H264 video via QT at the very least.

Quote:

I have not been defending Flash, I have been attacking a lack of Flash support as a good idea by Apple... BIG DIFFERENCE.
And you've completely proven MY point (technical points aside). Apple's products can use plugins outside of Flash to watch videos. Thus, sites with flash degrading pages and/or QT implementations of videos are available on their products.

That would account for "almost all video" as Jobs says.

Quote:

And don't comment on VP8.. what the **** is YT support? YouTube? You do realize Google owns YouTube and can convert the entire library over to VP8 in a matter of days, right?
I said currently. Currently, it's basically the software equivalent of vaporware. It has no entrenchment yet. I never said it couldn't or wouldn't. But as it stands now, it has nothing to do with Apple's non-inclusion with Flash, which is what we're talking about.

Quote:

Ok, I'm done, this has gotten silly, you clearly don't have a clue and at this point you are arguing based on the reality you WANT to exist not the observable one we actually are stuck with.
Is my video H.264? Yes.
Does my video play on an iPod touch? Yes.
Does my video play on an iPad? Yes.
Is my video flash? No.

Flash is important, for video, how?

irishjayhawk 05-01-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729572)
AND.. if 12-18 months is how long it takes to get a majority of the web converted to a standard that AS OF RIGHT NOW has yet to be determined... why buy a device NOW that will be outdated by the time it is useful?

The iPad is not useful now? Err what?

Quote:

Also, I don't care if IE and Safari are 60 or even 80% of the browser market.. if Google decided to put it's weight behind VP8... either IE and Safari will support it as well OR Chrome, Mozilla and Opera will replace them... end of story.
Or, alternatively, sites will continue to support both by offering degrading pages, just like flash right now. It's not always white or black.

Quote:

People will use whatever browser supports the content .. and right now Google controls the lion's share of content.
Man, I wish I had this black-white view you do.

Silock 05-01-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729572)

It's already useful. Just not for you.

Quote:

If you say so. I disagree, but whatever. You obviously don't value my opinion, anyway.

WoodDraw 05-01-2010 10:13 PM

You guys are on fringe land. I get where both sides are coming from, but both your arguments are meaningless to end consumers.

Unless Google can make a hardware move that counters Apple on the smartphone and tablet market, they'll have to capitulate. They can play hardball, but google survives off of advertising, not people downloading Chrome.

**** Apple, and everything they've done with the iPad. I think it's a shit product, as far as anything I'd buy. But they've made a huge success out of the iPhone OS product. So more power to them.

Google, it's your turn.

Silock 05-01-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6730316)
**** Apple, and everything they've done with the iPad. I think it's a shit product, as far as anything I'd buy.

I just put 30 gb worth of comics on mine. Holy ****. AWESOME.

WoodDraw 05-01-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6730323)

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but I agree that the iPad is awesome for certain situations. It's a dream travel companion. I'm tempted to buy it just for flights. Watch shows, movies, read, and so on. Incredible.

The closed architecture annoys the shit out of me. But that's how they make their money. At some point you get over it being a large iPhone and not an OS X tablet. Until someone creates something better, like I said, more power to them.

That's not to say I support them on Flash, or any of their other decisions. It's BS meant to support their bottom line. But that's what companies do. Apple doesn't give a **** about Adobe. With their consumer base, they don't have to.

But I don't get the anger either. It's Apple. Are people not used to this? They make a business off of pissing people off while still making a killing.

Google is the only company with the ability to counter Apple in this market, and we'll see what they do.

Silock 05-01-2010 10:32 PM

No, I'm serious! I really did. Of course, I use it for other things, but this is by FAR the coolest thing. I feel like a kid again. I put a bunch of eBooks on there, too, but they're all PDFs because Kindle books are too ****ing expensive.

WoodDraw 05-01-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6730341)
No, I'm serious! I really did. Of course, I use it for other things, but this is by FAR the coolest thing. I feel like a kid again. I put a bunch of eBooks on there, too, but they're all PDFs because Kindle books are too ****ing expensive.

I just can't come up with a rational reason to replace my Macbook Pro with it.

I don't mean replace, but to compliment I guess. But why buy an iPad when I can carry around my Macbook? It does more, I have full control, and then what...?

I have my cellphone, and I have my laptop. Where does the iPad come in?

Silock 05-01-2010 11:52 PM

I dunno. I see how it's not at all useful for some people. But for me, I just toss it in my bag and take it to school without worrying about batteries because it lasts for damn near 12 hours. I can stream movies from my home computer over the internet to my iPad, as well as music. I can surf all the sites I need to. It's much easier to read PDF files that are thousand pages long with it than on a computer.

All of that stuff you CAN do on a computer, and more. But for me, it's pretty damn handy to have around. I totally get why other people wouldn't care for it, though.

|Zach| 05-02-2010 12:21 PM

The form factor is perfect for me personally.

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6729562)

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/01/h-2...8TechCrunch%29

Quote:

http://tctechcrunch.files.wordpress....odingchart.jpg

Earlier this week, Steve Jobs kicked the debate about the need for Flash into high gear, especially for Web video. As he explained, Apple products like the iPhone and iPad don’t support Flash because although 75 percent of video on the Web is in Flash ” almost all this video is also available in a more modern format, H.264, and viewable on iPhones, iPods and iPads.” The next day, Microsoft weighed in, saying that Internet Explorer 9 would only support the H.264 codec for HTML video.

So how much video exactly is available in H.264? I asked Encoding.com, which has encoded 5 million videos over the past year for a variety of Websites and customers including MTV Networks, WebMD, Brightcove, Nokia, MySpace, and Red Bull. President Jeff Malkin sent me the chart above, which he believes is representative of the Web in general, including mobile. As the chart shows, in the past four quarters, the H.264 format went from 31 percent of all videos to 66 percent, and is now the largest format by far. Meanwhile, Flash is represented by Flash VP6 and FLV, which combined represent only 26 percent of all videos. That is down from a combined total of 69 percent four quarters ago. So the native Flash codecs and H.264 have completely flipped in terms of market share (Flash also supports H.264, however, but you don’t need a Flash player to watch H.264 videos)

Another data point that Steve Jobs mentions: All YouTube videos are available in H.264, which alone represents 40 percent of all videos on the Web. So these numbers from Encoding don’t seem so crazy.

All of these codecs and formats can seem like gobbledy gook. Malkin offers the following to explain the differences:

The formats can be confusing between containers and codecs. FLV is the Flash container with the old H.263 codec. Flash VP6 is the Flash container with the VP6 codec. H.264 is a codec that is utilized in a number of different containers (.FLV, .MP4, .MOV) and on Apple mobile devices and when deployed by browsers for HTML5. Microsoft just announced that IE will use H.264 as the default codec for HTML5. And, Google will be soon offering the VP8 codec as open source which will add another formidable flag in the format wars.

http://tctechcrunch.files.wordpress....lotpoints.jpeg

They make my exact argument and not only that but don't dispute the numbers you dispute with Jobs. I'm not saying TC is the end all be all, far from it, but I do know what I'm talking about - technicalities aside, which you've proven more knowledgeable on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6730316)
You guys are on fringe land. I get where both sides are coming from, but both your arguments are meaningless to end consumers.

Actually, I'm essentially making the consumers' argument. From a practical standpoint, they aren't missing much video purchasing an Apple device RIGHT NOW.

Quote:

Unless Google can make a hardware move that counters Apple on the smartphone and tablet market, they'll have to capitulate. They can play hardball, but google survives off of advertising, not people downloading Chrome.
Actually, I'm not so sure about that. I think they can make Android a viable product. The main problem with it is fragmentation which I've mentioned in here or in another thread.

Yes, they won't make any money off Chrome but they do make boatloads off ads and they can make money off their OS if they play their cards right.

Having said that, if they took the vertical approach Apple has with the key difference being "open" on the app/software front, they'd have a considerable product. But google, thus far, hasn't been interested in that. They've outsourced the hardware building - HTC, for example.

Quote:

**** Apple, and everything they've done with the iPad. I think it's a shit product, as far as anything I'd buy. But they've made a huge success out of the iPhone OS product. So more power to them.

Google, it's your turn.
What would have made the iPad better in your opinion?

As I've said numerous times, I don't think the current iteration is something that's for me. I just wonder what you wanted more of/less of, etc.

AustinChief 05-02-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6729887)
It's already useful. Just not for you.

If you say so. I disagree, but whatever. You obviously don't value my opinion, anyway.

True, if I liked reading ebooks it would be useful to me... I guess it's ok for movies that I own, but otherwise it just doesn't have much use for me at all. (although I admit if I still read comics, that would actually be a great method.. hadn't thought of that before)

I am not saying Google WILL put its weight behind VP8 as the new HTML5 standard video format... but if they DO, they have the muscle to make it stick.. FAR more than Apple and even more than MS

AustinChief 05-02-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6731278)
http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/01/h-2...8TechCrunch%29

They make my exact argument and not only that but don't dispute the numbers you dispute with Jobs. I'm not saying TC is the end all be all, far from it, but I do know what I'm talking about - technicalities aside, which you've proven more knowledgeable on.

Actually, I'm essentially making the consumers' argument. From a practical standpoint, they aren't missing much video purchasing an Apple device RIGHT NOW..

You just refuse to listen man. h264 is a CODEC.. 100% of the web could be h264 and without sites using html5 or flash or another plugin.. it's not accessible. SO YES, ipad users are missing quite a bit of video... because very few sites (regardless of the fact that their video may be h264) use html5 to deliver it...

Even quite a few "ipad ready" sites only have the most recent content in html5... and often not all of THAT.

Unless Google pushes VP8, then EVENTUALLY h264 will be part of html5 and html5 will spread ... but people in the industry are still taking a wait and see approach until we KNOW.. Google will clear alot up this month ... but EITHER WAY.. by the time the gaping holes start to fill in... the ipad will have been made obsolete by the next big thing.

Right now it's all form and very little function (unless used primarily as an ereader a point I conceded from the get go)

Silock 05-02-2010 06:27 PM

By the time the "next big thing" is actually released, the iPad will be updated.

AustinChief 05-02-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6731468)
By the time the "next big thing" is actually released, the iPad will be updated.

I totally agree, and if HTML5 is ubiquitous and the "new" iPad is head and shoulders above the rest without being priced off the charts and I have a need... I'd buy one... I am not against ALL Apple products . I have had great experiences with MACs in the past.

Hell my first PC was an Apple IIc. One of my first book reports was on the book WOZ, about Apple founder Steve Wozniak.

I have a feeling that there will soon be a slew of cheaper more powerful slates running open source OSes... hopefully Chromium based... but I'd settle for webOS if it can be made more robust. Just not sold on Android and can't stand iPhoneOS.

My point has been all along... why buy a device NOW that won't realize full functionality for more than likely a year or more... seems like more of a status/form move than one based on actually need or functionality.

as always, I exempt the use as an ebook/ecomic reader and pure travel movie viewer... if that is the majority of what you need.. it seems to fit the bill just fine.

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6731423)
You just refuse to listen man. h264 is a CODEC.. 100% of the web could be h264 and without sites using html5 or flash or another plugin.. it's not accessible. SO YES, ipad users are missing quite a bit of video... because very few sites (regardless of the fact that their video may be h264) use html5 to deliver it...

Heed your own words. THEY CAN ACCESS THOSE VIDEOS NOW WITHOUT FLASH OR HTML5.

Quote:

Even quite a few "ipad ready" sites only have the most recent content in html5... and often not all of THAT.
See above.

Quote:

Unless Google pushes VP8, then EVENTUALLY h264 will be part of html5 and html5 will spread ... but people in the industry are still taking a wait and see approach until we KNOW.. Google will clear alot up this month ... but EITHER WAY.. by the time the gaping holes start to fill in... the ipad will have been made obsolete by the next big thing.
ROFL

Quote:

Right now it's all form and very little function (unless used primarily as an ereader a point I conceded from the get go)
ROFL

Seriously, you have no clue. The iPad is not the end all be all but it might as well be a paper weight as far as you're concerned.

Dave Lane 05-02-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6730323)

Just got mine 3G version Friday. What are the comics you put on there.?

Dave Lane 05-02-2010 06:54 PM

Oh and posting from it now. I really like this little turd :)

irishjayhawk 05-02-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6731491)
I totally agree, and if HTML5 is ubiquitous and the "new" iPad is head and shoulders above the rest without being priced off the charts and I have a need... I'd buy one... I am not against ALL Apple products . I have had great experiences with MACs in the past.

Hell my first PC was an Apple IIc. One of my first book reports was on the book WOZ, about Apple founder Steve Wozniak.

I have a feeling that there will soon be a slew of cheaper more powerful slates running open source OSes... hopefully Chromium based... but I'd settle for webOS if it can be made more robust. Just not sold on Android and can't stand iPhoneOS.

My point has been all along... why buy a device NOW that won't realize full functionality for more than likely a year or more... seems like more of a status/form move than one based on actually need or functionality.

as always, I exempt the use as an ebook/ecomic reader and pure travel movie viewer... if that is the majority of what you need.. it seems to fit the bill just fine.

I just do not get your logic here. Not one iota of brain usage.

Silock 05-02-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 6731505)
Just got mine 3G version Friday. What are the comics you put on there.?

I bought Comic Zeal and put some comics that I downloaded a long time ago on it. It's cool, because it reads CBR, CBZ, RAR, JPG and PDF formats. I think it does some other formats, too, but I don't have any comics in those.

AustinChief 05-02-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6731503)
Heed your own words. THEY CAN ACCESS THOSE VIDEOS NOW WITHOUT FLASH OR HTML5.

See above.

ROFL

ROFL

Seriously, you have no clue. The iPad is not the end all be all but it might as well be a paper weight as far as you're concerned.

They can only access video that a site makes available as either HTML5 or using device-based transcoding... most DO NOT.... most have the video served via FLASH.

just because a video is encoded using h264 doesn't mean there is some magic way that apple can force a company to make it available... yes the iPad has a native h264 player built in... that would be the same as an h264 plugin, or QT or Flash plugin basically... here is the problem... VERY VERY VERY FEW sites are coded to make their video available directly to you in this way.

MOST video (though encoded using h264) is ONLY available using Flash.

Don't tell me I don't have a clue... I have tried and tried to explain the REALITY of this to you... but you continue to blunder about in the dark.

Sorry to be an asshole but it's insulting how you have lectured on this from the beginning when this is my field that I work in daily and have for many years... I truly do know what I'm talking about.