ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

keg in kc 05-16-2013 09:59 PM

I'm seeing it tomorrow. I expect that I'll like it.

I was and still am a Trekkie, but you have to be a little Star Wars if you want a big mainstream audience, so I can take sacrificing a little science and logic if it means a healthy ongoing franchise. Just make good movies and I'll be there.

Tribal Warfare 05-16-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9688081)

I was and still am a Trekkie, but you have to be a little Star Wars if you want a big mainstream audience, so I can take sacrificing a little science and logic if it means a healthy ongoing franchise. Just make good movies and I'll be there.

It's very enjoyable though you'll get irritated with the lack of creativity and a few plot holes.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688077)
I rank this on par with First Contact and Undiscovered County.

You're ****ing nuts.

Spoiler!

It sure was full o whizbang special effects though! Yay!

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

I can take sacrificing a little science and logic if it means a healthy ongoing franchise.

This isn't even the problem.

The story sucks.

Abrams is a hack.

I expect the new Star Wars trilogy will be about Luke turning to the dark side, forming a new Empire and in the third act, his son redeems him.

Frazod 05-16-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9688087)
You're ****ing nuts.

Spoiler!

It sure was full o whizbang special effects though! Yay!

I'll be up tonight fretting over your low opinion of this movie.

Or not.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688107)
I'll be up tonight fretting over your low opinion of this movie.

Or not.

Just know that you liked ripoff trash that was long on style and short on substance.

Frazod 05-16-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9688121)
Just know that you liked ripoff trash that was long on style and short on substance.

Well, it's either that or nothing, so I'll take that. If it was up to me things would be completely different, but it's not. They have to keep the OHHHH SHINY mouthbreathers happy, that's the way it is, and it can't be changed.

If you don't like it, quite whining and go read a ****ing book.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688139)
Well, it's either that or nothing, so I'll take that.

Oh yeah, I was entertained. It was a diversion, and it wasn't horrible.

It's just sad that it's gone this route.

Hoping for better in Star Trek 13. Like, oh I dunno, an original story.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:30 PM

I'm eagerly anticipating Dane ripping this thing to shreds, because I know he disliked the first one, and this one, while different, was arguably worse IMO.

Frazod 05-16-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9688148)
I'm eagerly anticipating Dane ripping this thing to shreds, because I know he disliked the first one, and this one, while different, was arguably worse IMO.

No way - this was much better than the last one. Nero was the most ****tarded villain since Spock's douchy half-brother.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688164)
No way - this was much better than the last one. Nero was the most ****tarded villain since Spock's douchy half-brother.

Well, yeah, but
Spoiler!

That's why I was really enjoying
Spoiler!

Shit, a movie about a madman hell bent on
Spoiler!

Instead we got decades old Gene Rodenberry and Nick Meyer shit warmed up in a microwave and covered with chocolate syrup.

Booooring. Predictable. Nothing we haven't seen before, apart from GREEN SCREEN CGI 3.0.

**** this pile. I got more enjoyment out of reading Iron Man comics the other night.

Simply Red 05-16-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9676066)
Review:

bauce.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:53 PM

Yeah, that review was stupid.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 10:54 PM

BTW, the title is shit, too.

That's as bad a title as Phantom Menace.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 11:00 PM

What did you expect, though?

This was written by the guy who produced such amazing cinema as Transformers and Transformers II.

Great idea, Paramount!

Frazod 05-16-2013 11:15 PM

Maybe you should quit watching these movies. They seem to make you very unhappy.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688248)
Maybe you should quit watching these movies. They seem to make you very unhappy.

No, I enjoy entertainment. I enjoy Star Trek, even if it's just a pale imitation.

It's kind of like eating frozen pizza. It's still good. It's pizza. It's always gonna taste pretty good.

But it's not like the best pizza ever, and it never will be.

Frazod 05-17-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

The funny thing is people like Clay act like there were never any plot holes or stupid shit in the original movies. Even in Star Trek II, which I still consider to be the best of the series, how could they communicate with/beam people from the core of a planetoid, but not from the Botany Bay cargo containers on the surface of Ceti Alpha V? Why didn't Kirk just target Reliant's bridge after disabling its computer, or beam Khan into space? How the **** could some bug crawling into your brain do anything but kill you? And did the one that crawled into Chekov's brain get expelled by his inability to kill Kirk? Why would Scotty bring his dying nephew to the bridge instead of sick bay, and more importanly, why would the CHIEF ENGINEER ABANDON HIS POST IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS? Seriously, stupid shit galore. If I can forgive those things, I can forgive what Abrams does.

Chiefspants 05-17-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688687)
The funny thing is people like Clay act like there were never any plot holes or stupid shit in the original movies. Even in Star Trek II, which I still consider to be the best of the series, how could they communicate with/beam people from the core of a planetoid, but not from the Botany Bay cargo containers on the surface of Ceti Alpha V? Why didn't Kirk just target Reliant's bridge after disabling its computer, or beam Khan into space? How the **** could some bug crawling into your brain do anything but kill you? And did the one that crawled into Chekov's brain get expelled by his inability to kill Kirk? Why would Scotty bring his dying nephew to the bridge instead of sick bay, and more importanly, why would the CHIEF ENGINEER ABANDON HIS POST IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS? Seriously, stupid shit galore. If I can forgive those things, I can forgive what Abrams does.

Clay is in full troll mode right now.

It will be a while before he comes back down to earth.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9688687)
The funny thing is people like Clay act like there were never any plot holes or stupid shit in the original movies.

No, that's not what I'm doing at all.

And you are missing the point.

Plot holes or not, stretched logic or not, I'd like an interesting, original story.

Not rehashed bullshit that insults my intelligence.

I can accept plot holes. I can't accept ****ing uninspired hack work.

The movie didn't engage me at any emotional level. Shit, at least the first one did that with Prime Spock and the destruction of Vulcan and new, interesting things I HADN'T SEEN BEFORE.

**** this movie. All it did was rely on nostalgia and stupid callbacks to try and spit shine a turd of a story.

And it went full reerun for the climax. Horrible.

Frazod 05-17-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9689411)
No, that's not what I'm doing at all.

And you are missing the point.

Plot holes or not, stretched logic or not, I'd like an interesting, original story.

Not rehashed bullshit that insults my intelligence.

I can accept plot holes. I can't accept ****ing uninspired hack work.

The movie didn't engage me at any emotional level. Shit, at least the first one did that with Prime Spock and the destruction of Vulcan and new, interesting things I HADN'T SEEN BEFORE.

**** this movie. All it did was rely on nostalgia and stupid callbacks to try and spit shine a turd of a story.

And it went full reerun for the climax. Horrible.

Your rage has unbalanced you!

http://image1.frequency.com/uri/w234..._thumbnail.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 08:14 PM

I'm glad that you're just thrilled with bubblegum Star Trek, but let's not elevate it to the status of the originals, OK? Use your brain. Abrams insulted the intelligence of longtime Trek fans with this pap smear of a movie.

Another Trek fan sums up my feelings:

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts too. I was enjoying the first half -
Spoiler!
the homages quickly became proto-plagiarism. It became an insult to genuine Trekkies and to Messrs. Meyer, Shatner, Nimoy, etc who put so much hard work and passion into a 30 year old film that really saved the franchise a long time ago.

What's most frustrating is why Abrams feels the need to curb his creativity and rip off other people's work so often! He's clearly a very talented film-maker. If he's going to keep making "new and fresh" Trek films then I want to see something "new and fresh" in them.

Two other peculiarities. One, why did Carol Marcus have a (dodgy) English accent when her father had a North American one? And two, why did Kronos look like Earth in the final Matrix movie??

I'd give the movie a 7 out of 10 due largely to the performances of the cast who were all excellent. Abrams and his scriptwriters should be ashamed of themselves though. I hope they don't have the cheek to call themselves 'artists'.

Frazod 05-17-2013 08:18 PM

Don't insult my intelligence, J.J.

http://metroland.net/wp-content/uplo...9ndpicKHAN.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 08:18 PM

Holy shit LMAO

Frazod 05-17-2013 08:21 PM

Well, I'm going to go see it again in 3D IMAX on Sunday, again when Shatner hosts it at the local theater on the 25th, and probably again when my best friend gets back from Dubai in early June.

I've given myself to the dark side. :D

keg in kc 05-17-2013 08:23 PM

Seeing it in an hour myself.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 08:23 PM

Yeah, I'll probably see it again just for the visuals...and to confirm that the last third of the movie is an abortion.

Frazod 05-17-2013 08:30 PM

My biggest problem with this, and the last one, for that matter

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 08:33 PM

That's because Abrams isn't creative enough to pull off something like that, and even he isn't enough of a ripoff artist to just copy and paste that scene.

Lex Luthor 05-17-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9688093)
This isn't even the problem.

The story sucks.

Abrams is a hack.

I expect the new Star Wars trilogy will be about Luke turning to the dark side, forming a new Empire and in the third act, his son redeems him.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But it's just your opinion, and I completely disagree with it. I've watched every Star Trek episode and every Star Trek movie multiple times, so I am hardly a Star Trek noob. In my opinion, J.J. Abrams completely gets it and this film is incredible.

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9688148)

We don't need Dane. You've become Dane.

Lex Luthor 05-17-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9689592)
That's because Abrams isn't creative enough to pull off something like that, and even he isn't enough of a ripoff artist to just copy and paste that scene.

LOL WUT? J.J. Abrams isn't creative? The fans of Lost, Fringe, and Alias disagree.

I'm starting to think that J.J.Abrams' storytelling is just way over your head. You think he is all about explosions and people falling from high places.

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9689761)
LOL WUT? J.J. Abrams isn't creative? The fans of Lost, Fringe, and Alias disagree.

I'm starting to think that J.J.Abrams' storytelling is just way over your head. You think he is all about explosions and people falling from high places.

He's an unoriginal bastard.

I was completely emotionally uninvolved in this crap and sitting there smirking during the pivotal moment in the movie, knowing EXACTLY how it was going to play out.

Embarrassing "story."

Hammock Parties 05-17-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

I think you're expecting perfection
Really? The ****?

I just expect something original, not a ****ing rehash.

It's weak, short-cut, cop-out story telling.

JJ Abrams might as well be George Lucas at this point, telling us all THEY'RE POETRY, THEY RHYME!!!!

Lex Luthor 05-17-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690109)
Really? The ****?

I just expect something original, not a ****ing rehash.

It's weak, short-cut, cop-out story telling.

JJ Abrams might as well be George Lucas at this point, telling us all THEY'RE POETRY, THEY RHYME!!!!

You're clearly out of touch with the majority of movie watchers.

91% of the audience liked the 2009 Star Trek movie, and 89% of the audience likes Star Trek Into Darkness.

The movies do even better with film critics: 95% of critics liked Star Trek, and 91% of them like Star Trek Into Darkness.

So you can criticize JJ Abrams and these movies all you want. But you're stating your opinions as though they are facts. They aren't facts. They are opinions that are shared by a tiny minority of people.

Lex Luthor 05-17-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690104)
He's an unoriginal bastard.

I was completely emotionally uninvolved in this crap and sitting there smirking during the pivotal moment in the movie, knowing EXACTLY how it was going to play out.

Embarrassing "story."

You hate the Star Trek movies. You hate Alex Smith. You hate Andy Reid.

A pattern is emerging. You're just a hater.

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 12:00 AM

Yes, they're entertaining movies. That's why people like them.

But to compare them to Voyage Home or Undiscovered Country...get the **** out.

PS - it's a fact that Abrams ripped the climax off this movie off. And it ****ing sucked. And it ruined the movie for me and a lot of other die-hard Trek fans.

There better not be no Genesis Device in Star Trek: Out of Darkness, or whatever shitty title the third one has. Because, shit, they already have Carol Marcus in this one, so it's just a hop, skip and a jump to more ripoff stories!

keg in kc 05-18-2013 12:01 AM

Really liked it.

Loved the way the events of the first movie led to the expansion of section 31 (one of my favorite aspects of DS9) and the militarization of starfleet. Loved the way it led to the discovery of the botany bay years earlier than in the original timeline. Loved the way Section 31 used Khan. Loved the way that Kirk and Spock grew in different ways, and before the 5 year mission.

Did not love the deus ex machina of Khan's blood, but they established very early on (like 10 min into the movie) that that's what was going to happen, so no shock. Spock's Wilhem scream was too much fan service, but that was basically him losing control of his emotions, and having Uhura help him regain control of himself was a nice circular resolution via role-reversal.

All-in-all I think I enjoyed that as much as the 2009 Trek. Maybe will end up liking it more after repeat viewings, and I'm curious to see where they go next, since the 5 year mission will free them up to basically do whatever the hell they want.

Imon Yourside 05-18-2013 12:09 AM

I liked it as well, except they didn't need to kill off/resurrect Kirk. My buds thought they sold Khan short, I thought it was well done.

keg in kc 05-18-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9690164)
I liked it as well, except they didn't need to kill off/resurrect Kirk. My buds thought they sold Khan short, I thought it was well done.

The resurrection bugged me, too. I thought it would have been really ballsy to kill him off and leave him dead, but obviously there's no way that was ever going to happen.

I do like, since we're playing with alternate realities, the idea of certain things happening regardless, albeit in different ways. Sort of like Dr. Who's fixed moments in time.

mikey23545 05-18-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9690151)
You're clearly out of touch with the majority of movie watchers.

91% of the audience liked the 2009 Star Trek movie, and 89% of the audience likes Star Trek Into Darkness.

The movies do even better with film critics: 95% of critics liked Star Trek, and 91% of them like Star Trek Into Darkness.

So you can criticize JJ Abrams and these movies all you want. But you're stating your opinions as though they are facts. They aren't facts. They are opinions that are shared by a tiny minority of people.

So do we get to see Spock eating Uhuru out while she hangs on to his ears in this movie?

After all, we know what gets high ratings out of the 16 year old audiences seeing these new "Star Trek" movies nowadays...

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9690167)
So do we get to see Spock eating Uhuru out while she hangs on to his ears in this movie?

After all, we know what gets high ratings out of the 16 year old audiences seeing these new "Star Trek" movies nowadays...

Ding ding ding ding!

Spock's forced relationship with Uhura has been a joke in both of these movies.

Imon Yourside 05-18-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9690167)

I would like to see something completely new as well, but i'm always a sucker for Star Trek(original cast) movies.

the Talking Can 05-18-2013 03:31 PM

i mean, what else can a summer blockbuster do?

damn good movie....

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9690766)
i mean, what else can a summer blockbuster do?

damn good movie....

Be original, maybe?

the Talking Can 05-18-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690795)
Be original, maybe?

is this a joke?

Tribal Warfare 05-18-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9690803)
is this a joke?

to a degree he has a point, even though I did like the movie.

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9690803)
is this a joke?

Nope. I hate uninspired hackwork.

the Talking Can 05-18-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9690810)
to a degree he has a point, even though I did like the movie.

it's a $200 million dollar installment of a 50 year old franchise....

i don't know how they could be 'original,' much less why someone would expect it...

the Talking Can 05-18-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690814)
Nope. I hate uninspired hackwork.

no, you're just a fanboi that expects fidelity to your pre-pubescent fantasies and also 'originality'....

kind of like wanting your girlfriend to be a whore and a virgin

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9690817)
no, you're just a fanboi that expects fidelity to your pre-pubescent fantasies and also 'originality'....

kind of like wanting your girlfriend to be a whore and a virgin

No, I was fine with the first Star Trek. It wasn't perfect, but at least I came away with a good taste in my mouth.

This left me cold and bored at the end.

The entire "homage" pulled me right out of the movie. It was like a bad parody.

Tribal Warfare 05-18-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9690815)
it's a $200 million dollar installment of a 50 year old franchise....

i don't know how they could be 'original,' much less why someone would expect it...

a full scale Vietnam likened war with the Klingons both in space and on the planets. Pure carnage, that's what should be next.

Frazod 05-18-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9690823)
a full scale Vietnam likened war with the Klingons both in space and on the planets. Pure carnage, that's what should be next.

Unoriginal! That's been done! Abrams is a hack! I should have read a comic book!/Clay

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9690918)
Unoriginal! That's been done! Abrams is a hack! I should have read a comic book!/Clay

It hasn't really been done at all.

That's what would make it so awesome.

They could have really milked this Federation vs Section 31 vs Klingons idea...but they copped out and took a cheap, bullshit, easy route.

But it's ****ing Damon Lindelof. So...it's to be expected.

Frazod 05-18-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690924)

http://media.theiapolis.com/b000000/...cdn=1368924001

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 06:44 PM

I'm not sure what a super low res screencap from Starship Troopers is trying to prove.

Frazod 05-18-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690934)
I'm not sure what a super low res screencap from Starship Troopers is trying to prove.

I'm sure everybody else gets it. LMAO

Deberg_1990 05-18-2013 10:06 PM

Just watched it. Overall I really enjoyed it. This cast is just incredible. Say what you want, but you can't complain about the cast. They absolutely nail these characters and Pine deserves to be a star.

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 10:13 PM

Actually I'm not really sure Cumberbatch
Spoiler!

While he does a good job,
Spoiler!

But it's Abrams. It's Lindelof. This is to be expected. **** the nuances.

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 10:18 PM

A lot of people really don't like this.

Quote:

They're not phantom reasons. And it's difficult to explain. It's too fast and childish for me. And it tries too hard to win us over with quick references to past Trek They've made these characters more like 21st century people.

Kirk is an immature cocky fly boy.
Spoiler!
Spock seems to have suffered from a Trellium addiction cause he cannot keep his emotions in check. And he is in a relationship with a subordinate and a one time a cadet. He has the gall to bring Kirk up for cheating?

Bones is being made a caricature of the original. Scotty reminds me nothing of the original. He seems like a running gag. The ship is ugly as..... The effects are too much like Star Wars for me. And I'm talking new Star Wars. It's all flash and no substance to me.
Spoiler!

Deberg_1990 05-18-2013 10:35 PM

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-18-2013 10:40 PM

Anyway, if there's one thing this has taught me...I now know why people hate Damon Lindelof.

I didn't quite get it on Prometheus, because I'm sure his stench was somewhat covered up by Ridley Scott, and the fact that it's hard to **** up an Aliens movie (because even the shit ones are fun)....but I get it now.

**** him. Hard. With spiked things.

MMXcalibur 05-18-2013 11:40 PM

While I'm no hardcore Trekkie, I did enjoy the movie as a whole.

Spoiler!

Tribal Warfare 05-19-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9690918)

furthermore, the Kobayashi Maru scenario actually happens, but isn't a simulation with drastically different variables that'll challenge Kirk's resolve like Uhura being captured and killed in the process which would humanize Spock even more.

Chiefspants 05-19-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9690924)

They could have really milked this Federation vs Section 31 vs Klingons idea...but they copped out and took a cheap, bullshit, easy route.

But it's ****ing Damon Lindelof. So...it's to be expected.

Goche has entered Hulk Troll mode, it will be months before he's Bruce Banner again.

the Talking Can 05-19-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9690823)

that would be awesome

hard to see it getting green lighted

Deberg_1990 05-19-2013 11:14 AM

Spoiler!

DaneMcCloud 05-19-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9691616)
that would be awesome

hard to see it getting green lighted

At this point, it's hard to see anything being "Greenlit".

Star Trek Into Darkness
is performing very poorly at the box office. It's $20 million under estimates this weekend and the numbers will continue to slip. It'll likely hit its budget of $190 million but I think the future will is murky. It's taken in less during its opening weekend than Star Trek in 2009. That is not a good sign.

Abrams has never been a Star Trek fan and he's off to the Star Wars universe, his true first love. Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof haven't shown that they can create blockbuster movies on their own and Lindelof's quickly developing a "Franchise Killer" rep around town. Paramount will likely look to a completely different team if the decide to move forward.

Paramount was really upset with Abrams and the four year lag between films and the box office disappointment with the sequel will likely give them pause when considering another director, writer and most importantly, budget, if they decide to move forward in the Star Trek universe.

Right now, I don't think that's a given. Studios don't usually make movies, especially big budget summer blockbusters, with the intent to "break even".

Hammock Parties 05-19-2013 11:19 AM

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-19-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9691839)
Lindelof's quickly developing a "Franchise Killer" rep around town. Paramount will likely look to a completely different team if the decide to move forward.

Been waiting for this post...and it makes me smile.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ast_breath.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 05-19-2013 01:01 PM

The wife and I enjoyed it. I did feel like it was kinda derivative, but it was a good time anyway.

Frazod 05-19-2013 02:07 PM

I saw it again today, this time in IMAX. I still love it. **** the haters.

MMXcalibur 05-19-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9692112)
I saw it again today, this time in IMAX. I still love it. **** the haters.

+ 1

Frazod 05-19-2013 02:20 PM

I will say I wouldn't mind jettisoning Abrams - this four years between films shit is ridiculous, and it will only get worse now that he's dabbling in Star Wars.

Personally, I'd rather see a new series set in the new timeline, but obviously you'd lose the current stars. Unless it went to HBO or something similar. Man, Star Trek with HBO quality would rock. Although they'd probably turn Sulu and Chekov into gay lovers, which would be annoying.

Fire Me Boy! 05-19-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9692133)
I will say I wouldn't mind jettisoning Abrams - this four years between films shit is ridiculous, and it will only get worse now that he's dabbling in Star Wars.

Personally, I'd rather see a new series set in the new timeline, but obviously you'd lose the current stars. Unless it went to HBO or something similar. Man, Star Trek with HBO quality would rock. Although they'd probably turn Sulu and Chekov into gay lovers, which would be annoying.

True, but you get a nude Zoe Saldana and Alice Eve. I'd be OK with that tradeoff.

Frazod 05-19-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9692170)
True, but you get a nude Zoe Saldana and Alice Eve. I'd be OK with that tradeoff.

HBO stuff is great, but seriously, it's like there's some hi-placed queer in the company who threatens to hold his breath and turn blue unless there's gay sex in every series. I guess we're lucky they didn't have the troops humping each other in Band of Brothers and The Pacific. You just know somebody probably fought like hell to get that thrown in.

Deberg_1990 05-19-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9691839)
At this point, it's hard to see anything being "Greenlit".

Star Trek Into Darkness
is performing very poorly at the box office. It's $20 million under estimates this weekend and the numbers will continue to slip. It'll likely hit its budget of $190 million but I think the future will is murky. It's taken in less during its opening weekend than Star Trek in 2009. That is not a good sign.

Abrams has never been a Star Trek fan and he's off to the Star Wars universe, his true first love. Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof haven't shown that they can create blockbuster movies on their own and Lindelof's quickly developing a "Franchise Killer" rep around town. Paramount will likely look to a completely different team if the decide to move forward.

Paramount was really upset with Abrams and the four year lag between films and the box office disappointment with the sequel will likely give them pause when considering another director, writer and most importantly, budget, if they decide to move forward in the Star Trek universe.

Right now, I don't think that's a given. Studios don't usually make movies, especially big budget summer blockbusters, with the intent to "break even".

Dane, don't you think there is sort of a cap with how much box office potential there is with Trek? I know the last film did well, but that was sort of an anomaly. Trek has sort of always been niche to an extent. I wouldn't say it holds the 4 quadrant appeal of most summer blockbusters. I don't think I saw anyone under 21 in my audience except my son and a few other families with small kids. Very limited female appeal as well.

siberian khatru 05-19-2013 03:05 PM

Just got back from seeing it.

Meh.

Oh, and

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 05-19-2013 03:18 PM

Yeah, it's amazing. That was my gut reaction too.

I mean, it was entertaining. But after all that special effects wizardry thrown into my face.....

"Meh."

It just proves that Star Trek really isn't about special effects.

Fire Me Boy! 05-19-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9692242)
Just got back from seeing it.

Meh.

Oh, and

Spoiler!

Agreed with your spoiler.

siberian khatru 05-19-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9692276)
Agreed with your spoiler.

I literally groaned out loud in the theater.

I went with my sons, 18 and 14. The older one is fairly familiar with the TOS; in fact, last night we watched three of my favorite TOS episodes, and we both agreed they were better than this high-tech movie. He had pretty much the same reaction I did.

My 14-year-old, though, knows virtually nothing about TOS, and he liked the movie more than we did. And I'm sure there's lots of folks, young and old, like him out there.

I agree with GoChiefs: Come up with something original. If I see there are whales in the next one, I'm checking out.